• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

ClickyCal'

Oct 25, 2017
Can't avoid the awful memes all over here and Reddit, the multiple Marvel threads a day, the trailers, the overhyped word of mouth.

I wish I had a filter on my brain that I could switch to avoid and block all Marvel talk.
source.gif

Whompa

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I just wish they didn't make the Kessel Run as a real event...Gave Han such a more interesting character by leaving it a mystery.

Finaj

Oct 25, 2017
Maybe I would consider Rogue One a good movie if any of the characters received personality or development. Even Jy Erso, the main character, is paper thin and an incredibly passive protagonist. When the ending comes around and I'm supposed to care... it just doesn't work.

A good third act and Darth Vader cameo does not a good movie make.

bluehat9

Oct 25, 2017
If they had actually just made it a side story during his smuggling days about him racing other smugglers and avoiding bounty hunters and dropped us in it would've been better than an origin story.

Put the maul twist at the beginning and have Han double crossing both of them.

Plasma

Oct 25, 2017
I liked Solo but in a way I'm kind of glad this is the outcome, when a Star Wars movie comes out it should be a big event but if they keep on releasing new movies every 6 months it'll lose that. It's better to save those side stories for the tv shows, you can probably get away with pumping them out at a much faster rate because people are used to binging tv content.

StallionDan

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
After TLJ I wanted something amazing to wash it away with. A Han Solo prequel movie was not that, so I passed. I doubt I was alone.

Braaier

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Glad she owns up to the massive mistake she made.

Movie was decent. It should have done way better.
Let's stick to one movie every couple of year at most. Fans went years and years (decades) between Star Wars movies before. Let's not go crazy with this two-three movies a year nonsense.

Ryan.

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
"It's Star Wars." Doesn't work with the MCU.

You were already rightly told in the other thread that MCU's impact can and never will come close to Star Wars'.

What, memes?

Yes, the excitement and craze from everyone looking forward to Endgame all comes from what memes they can come up with as soon as they leave the theater.

Deleted member 15227

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Maybe they can wrap up the loose ends in the Rogue One prequel TV show (or the Mandalorian TV show, but the latter is set much later in the timeline)

Cool, didn't realise there was another show in development alongside The Mandalorian. Apart from some really on-the-nose contrite exposition, I thought Solo was a solid movie and not deserving of the hate it got.

carlosrox

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Vancouver BC
Yes, the excitement and craze from everyone looking forward to Endgame all comes from what memes they can come up with as soon as they leave the theater.

I mean, Disney remakes pump out money and people are somehow excited for those too.

Popularity isn't everything. I mean, the Disney remakes make more money than the originals, which do you think has the actual legacy behind it?

Same with Star Wars vs MCU. Star Wars movies are classics, MCU are just assembly line movies.

ClickyCal'

Oct 25, 2017
I mean, Disney remakes pump out money and people are somehow excited for those too.

Popularity isn't everything. I mean, the Disney remakes make more money than the originals, which do you think has the actual legacy behind it?

Same with Star Wars vs MCU. Star Wars movies are classics, MCU are just assembly line movies.
There are two star wars movies that are "classics", and then a bunch of stuff just on cruise control from the nostalgia of those.

Ryan.

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017

I would consider myself a much bigger Star Wars fan than MCU but I'm not going to pretend they don't have an impact and aren't loved. There's a reason why people are still rewatching all these movies 11 years after it all started. They've become classics to the people that grew up with them.

Whompa

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
It's really just a matter of releasing a movie that had limited interest.

If you ask anyone, "do you want to see a young han solo movie without harrison ford" at any point in time, I doubt you'd have many people racing to the theaters.

Not only did it lack star power to the general audiences, but it lacks purpose. Nobody cares about how Han Solo became Han Solo. His backstory was intriguing because it was clouded and unrefined. He is who he is, because his story had breadcrumbs for people to fill in the gaps. Did he do the Kessel Run? Is he a good smuggler? He's fun because Leia and Luke doubt him all the time, and Harrison Ford plays that perfectly. He's got a particular look and charisma about him that you want to give him the benefit of the doubt, but you're not sure why. He doesn't need to be a hero. He doesn't need a defined backstory. I still enjoyed the movie for what it was, but it's completely not necessary and only does a disservice to the character the more you flesh out his past...

Also the marketing was beyond weak. They didn't push that movie nearly as hard as they push the mainline films.

If you expect a Star Wars movie to do gang busters, you have to have a narrative objective worth generating interest, and you need to push the shit out of it in the marketing.

Last edited:

ClickyCal'

Oct 25, 2017
It's really just a matter of releasing a movie that had limited interest.

If you ask anyone, "do you want to see a young han solo movie without harrison ford" at any point in time, I doubt you'd have many people racing to the theaters.

Also the marketing was beyond weak. They didn't push that movie nearly as hard as they push the mainline films.

If you expect a Star Wars movie to do gang busters, you have to have a narrative objective worth generating interest, and you need to push the shit out of it in the marketing.
Yea. The entire appeal of han was just specifically harrison ford, especially in ANH and empire. I didn't love the character or the mythos of han solo. I loved the way he played it.

Trickster

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Man, it never fails to be entertaining when people lose their ability to hold back anymore and just go into full stan mode for their favorite thing.

Jimmypython

Oct 27, 2017
I don't think fans will say no a *good* star wars film on a annual basis. just look at MCU, it has three per year. .

she has to acknowledge it was the film that disappointed fans, not schedule. .

the Star Wars movies have to move away from the original trilogy, and make good original stories and characters within the universe.

Oct 25, 2017
The biggest issue for me (haven't seen it, don't want to see it) was that Ford was 33 in A New Hope. And we're supposed to suspend belief and have someone who looks completely different and sounds completely different play him a few years younger?

Han Solo worked because of Ford and his charisma/swagger. I don't need some cash-in with an actor who requires an acting coach on set.
Ford had an acting coach on set also.