• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Fuchsia

Oct 28, 2017
Can we just not needlessly pit Star Wars and Marvel against each other? Can't we just enjoy both.

TheBeardedOne

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Derry
Having to attack the mcu and fans and not just say you aren't into the movies is blatant insecurity.
yeah pssh, why would...anyone say that...pfft...hah! I'm fine. This is fine. Y'all are the ones who look silly after your comments.

No. I just have a different opinion. I was responding to someone when I said that.

I'm happy with my taste in movies, and am proud of it.

Whompa

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Can we just not needlessly pit Star Wars and Marvel against each other? Can't we just enjoy both.

The best part about that is they're under the same umbrella.

it's like fighting against Axe body spray and Dove soap...they're both owned by Unilever.

It's manufactured competition and anyone getting baited by that just makes me shake my head...

Oct 25, 2017
Sweden
I didn't see the Solo movie but wasn't it pretty unorthodox for Star Wars? Someone told me there were barely any lightsabers. Maybe don't expect big box office numbers when SW fans want the old movies again and again.

TheBeardedOne

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Derry
giphy.gif

Fuchsia

Oct 28, 2017
The best part about that is they're under the same umbrella.

it's like fighting against Axe body spray and Dove soap...they're both owned by Unilever.

It's manufactured competition and anyone getting baited by that just makes me shake my head...

Right. I really don't understand why people need to treat media like sports teams. Same thing happens with games. It's sad honestly.

OnPorpoise

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I'm sure bad marketing and poor release timing both played some factor, but ultimately Kasdan's approach to the material was just really bland and it didn't connect with masses.

Hopefully Lucasfilm can regroup and grow the Star Wars brand outside of the "trilogy" format now that they are a sizeable chunk of Disney+.

Malverde

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Imagine thinking a Lando movie would not bomb even harder than a Solo movie

A Lando movie led by Donald Glover would have gotten me in the theater. I'm here with a Star Wars inspired username and I still haven't seen Solo. The main actor for Han was never going to be able to compete with Harrison Ford's charisma and it was stupid to even try. Also Han is already dead in the movies, so any insight or development was never going to go anywhere because Ford is done.

Parisi

Oct 27, 2017
You could've released it 3 years after TLJ and it would've still been a mistake...

How do you cast a movie where the main actor is playing a character immortalized by Harrison Ford, and then on top of that, cast someone who looks NOTHING like a younger Ford...

Hell, all they had to do was hire Anthony Ingruber and I would've been happy...

56afce7958c32375028b6fa3-750.jpg

Herne

Dec 10, 2017
I said to a friend when Disney bought the franchise that they'd release a film every year and run it into the ground. They even managed to outpace that prediction.

nomis

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
You could've released it 3 years after TLJ and it would've still been a mistake...

How do you cast a movie where the main actor is playing a character immortalized by Harrison Ford, and then on top of that, cast someone who looks NOTHING like a younger Ford...

Hell, all they had to do was hire Anthony Ingruber and I would've been happy...

56afce7958c32375028b6fa3-750.jpg

did it ever occur to you that ingruber is a garbage actor, disney took one look at his audition and said no thanks? and the end result they got out of ehrenreich is ten times better as a coherent characterization than they would have gotten out of him?

in fact, being less of a caricature than glover gave as lando, i think he might have been the most effective part of the whole movie

Whompa

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
did it ever occur to you that ingruber is a garbage actor, disney took one look at his audition and said no thanks? and the end result they got out of ehrenreich is ten times better as a coherent characterization than they would have gotten out of him?

in fact, being less of a caricature than glover gave as lando, i think he might have been the most effective part of the whole movie

It's like suggesting Ashton Kutcher play as Steve Jobs because he looks like the part lol.

nomis

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It's like suggesting Ashton Kutcher play as Steve Jobs because he looks like the part lol.

that is a very very appropriate comparison

alden looks no less like a young harrison than the kid at the beginning of the third indiana jones, but apparently moviegoers can't be counted on to use their imagination. if Solo came out five years later they probably would've applied harrison ford CGI prostheses to ehrenreich, making the entire thing a nauesa inducing trip, all in the name of having the younger version LOOK THE SAME

DonMigs85

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
It was an OK movie at best and really did nothing to add to the mythos except for the meeting between Han and Chewie and the multiple droid brains in the Falcon

Whompa

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
yeah that'd be so dumb nobody would do that

that is a very very appropriate comparison

alden looks no less like a young harrison than the kid at the beginning of the third indiana jones, but apparently moviegoers can't be counted on to use their imagination. if Solo came out five years later they probably would've applied harrison ford CGI prostheses to ehrenreich, making the entire thing a nauesa inducing trip, all in the name of having the younger version LOOK THE SAME

Listen, if you guys don't share our enthusiasm...and care...for the vision of Anthony Ingruber's copycat impression for a scene he replicated in A New Hope, then you can get out!

man what a terrible idea lol

Last edited:

MrMephistoX

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Solo probably would have done better this past Xmas than it did in May but overall yeah too much Star Wars trying to be the next Marvel. It's a fine film but Star Wars isn't as epic on an annual release schedule. And yeah they shouldn't have fired Lord and Miller...

Typhonsentra

Oct 27, 2017
" People didn't want a Hand Solo movie, but they were super hyped for a movie explaining how the Rebels got the Death Star plans immediately before Episode IV."

Whompa

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
" People didn't want a Hand Solo movie, but they were super hyped for a movie explaining how the Rebels got the Death Star plans immediately before Episode IV."

That at least has some wiggle room since you can create completely new characters and do whatever you want with them. Han has some rules that you need to follow...but even those were kinda broken to tell a popcorn action flick.

And yeah they shouldn't have fired Lord and Miller...

Didn't Kathleen Kennedy say Lord and Miller characterized Han Solo like Ace Ventura pet detective? I dunno how I feel about that lol.

No Depth

Oct 27, 2017
Shockingly, Solo might be the only one of the new crop i actually enjoyed.

I mean when the range for me has been "decent but too familiar(TFA)" to "...ugh(R1, TLJ)", Solo wasn't perfect but it was fun. I did avoid it in the theater though as I definitely needed a good year hiatus from Star Wars myself after TLJ.

WrenchNinja

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
A story about a rag tag group of rebels who die trying to start the story of Star Wars is more of an interesting premise than Han Solo doing some pointless bullshit around the galaxy for the majority of the film till he some how helps the Rebels years before he actually joins.

If they wanted to do a Han Solo story, they should have given him an actual character arc. Instead, he starts off wide eyed, plucky and hopeful, and ends the same way, even helping the Rebels years in advance. A good writer would have told the story of how a happy dude became the jaded one in ANH. Like he isn't even beat up by Emilia Clarke bailing on him even a bit or killing Woody Harrelson

BassForever

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
CT

Disney marketed rogue one masterfully, treated it like it was an important part of the saga that needed to be told

Disney marketed solo like they were embarrassed they made it, treated it like it was some pointless spin off you didn't need to see

Miscend

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It was way too close. Although marvel films tend to release closer than that.
Marvel release several films in a year with no consequence. I think Kathleen Kennedy should just be more honest and take responsibility for the last two Star Wars films not being very good. Rogue One was a fluke it's almost certainly by chance that the movie turned out well after all the issues they were having in its production.

Scullibundo

Oct 25, 2017
A story about a rag tag group of rebels who die trying to start the story of Star Wars is more of an interesting premise than Han Solo doing some pointless bullshit around the galaxy for the majority of the film till he some how helps the Rebels years before he actually joins.

If they wanted to do a Han Solo story, they should have given him an actual character arc. Instead, he starts off wide eyed, plucky and hopeful, and ends the same way, even helping the Rebels years in advance. A good writer would have told the story of how a happy dude became the jaded one in ANH. Like he isn't even beat up by Emilia Clarke bailing on him even a bit or killing Woody Harrelson
Yeah. Walking out of that film I couldn't believe how they missed the only arc Han could have had in that film. Solo should have ended with Han experiencing his 'The Bitch is Dead' moment of betrayal that hardens him to the point of only looking out for himself and Chewie.

Mengy

Oct 25, 2017
did it ever occur to you that ingruber is a garbage actor, disney took one look at his audition and said no thanks?

Ingruber might be a garbage actor but he does a convincing Ford impersonation. I still feel like he could have done a more convincing job in Solo than Alden accomplished, especially with an acting coach (which they got for Alden anyway!). And yes Alden is a fine actor but he was horribly miscast for the role of Han Solo, he just wasn't convincing in the trailers or the film. I really believe that Alden's performance was a huge reason why the movie did so poorly, who wants to watch a Han Solo movie with a lead who doesn't feel like Han Solo?

I think a bad actor doing a convincing portrayal of Ford would have served the movie better than a good actor doing a terrible portrayal.

But hey, that's just my opinion. It's really a moot point now, Solo has already bombed.

Nov 11, 2017
Marvel release several films in a year with no consequence. I think Kathleen Kennedy should just be more honest and take responsibility for the last two Star Wars films not being very good. Rogue One was a fluke it's almost certainly by chance that the movie turned out well after all the issues they were having in its production.
Rogue One didn't turn out great other than the third act which made up for the rest. You can see the production issues clearly by how the film is paced/edited for the first two thirds of the film. Solo was overall better. They were both pretty good/ok.

Ororo

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I wonder what all the TLJ and Disney SWs apologists are thinking now that even Disney took the complaints and is changing their plans since they saw it wasn't working.

ClickyCal'

Oct 25, 2017

The issue is that to so many people, han's character is harrison ford, and not the other way around, or at least equal. Like RDJ/tony stark. Having someone play a slightly younger version of how he was in ANH and it being just this different guy, it doesn't work for people.

sphagnum

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I wonder what all the TLJ and Disney SWs apologists are thinking now that even Disney took the complaints and is changing their plans since they saw it wasn't working.

Ending the anthology movies has nothing to do with TLJ criticism, it's a reaction to Solo bombing. They're just shifting those stories to TV format for Disney+.

If Lucasfilm had some kind of problem with TLJ they wouldn't be keeping Rian Johnson around for a new trilogy.

RaySpencer

Oct 27, 2017
So stupid. TLJ being a garbage fire of a movie didn't stop me from seeing Solo. Solo being a prequel about a character I don't care about made me not see it. Rogue One was amazing, put out good movies, and I'll watch them.