• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Gatti-man

Banned
Jan 31, 2018
Does KK not know a good Star Wars film and why people go in the first place? Solo was the least Star Warsy film I've ever seen. Why she thought people would flock to see a mediocre solo prequel with no force in it or spectacle like people are used to with Star Wars is beyond me. I'm a huge Star Wars fan and Solo was mediocre at best and not nearly as rewatchable as any other. It's even worse than the prequels in that it's simply not exciting and feels inconsequential.

sphagnum

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Does KK not know a good Star Wars film and why people go in the first place? Solo was the least Star Warsy film I've ever seen. Why she thought people would flock to see a mediocre solo prequel with no force in it or spectacle like people are used to with Star Wars is beyond me. I'm a huge Star Wars fan and Solo was mediocre at best and not nearly as rewatchable as any other. It's even worse than the prequels in that it's simply not exciting and feels inconsequential.

Star Wars is different things to different people.

Halbrand

Oct 27, 2017
Is it a hot take to think Solo has the best cast of characters of the new films? Because I'd say so.

Syntsui

Oct 25, 2017
They honestly overestimated the appeal of Solo for the current audience, no one gives a fuck about Solo.

Gatti-man

Banned
Jan 31, 2018
Star Wars is different things to different people.
So show me the people who think Star Wars is solo. I'm dying to meet these people who want no force powers, no lightsaber fights, and no spectacle battles in their Star Wars movies.

Solo is like having a prequel about Fin. No one would care because the story wouldn't be that exciting to watch. It's not that people don't like the character it's just that the story isn't good/watchable. Felt like a Netflix movie.

MrMephistoX

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
That at least has some wiggle room since you can create completely new characters and do whatever you want with them. Han has some rules that you need to follow...but even those were kinda broken to tell a popcorn action flick.

Didn't Kathleen Kennedy say Lord and Miller characterized Han Solo like Ace Ventura pet detective? I dunno how I feel about that lol.

With all due respect an exciting Kathleen Kennedy's Saturday night is likely a quiet evening at home with a Rose spritzer so her judgment is skewed.

sphagnum

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So show me the people who think Star Wars is solo. I'm dying to meet these people who want no force powers, no lightsaber fights, and no spectacle battles in their Star Wars movies.

Solo is like having a prequel about Fin. No one would care because the story wouldn't be that exciting to watch. It's not that people don't like the character it's just that the story isn't good/watchable. Felt like a Netflix movie.

There have been plenty of people who have complained about being sick of Jedi and Sith and want more underworld/bounty hunter/"gritty" stories. The Mandalorian is catering to them. Do you think nobody's going to watch that?

Kapryov

Oct 27, 2017
Australia
Solo was better than I ever expected, but I never asked for it.
I watched it when it appeared on Netflix and had a good time though, I probably enjoyed it more than Rogue One (which I liked).

It still felt completely unnecessary.

PHOENIXZERO

Oct 29, 2017
You could've released it 3 years after TLJ and it would've still been a mistake...

How do you cast a movie where the main actor is playing a character immortalized by Harrison Ford, and then on top of that, cast someone who looks NOTHING like a younger Ford...

Hell, all they had to do was hire Anthony Ingruber and I would've been happy...

56afce7958c32375028b6fa3-750.jpg
Have you seen him act?

PHOENIXZERO

Oct 29, 2017
It's not the worst Star Wars related movie or live action thing to come out as long as the Ewok movies (I actually liked Caravan of Courage as a kid, hated the second one though) or the Holiday Special exists. As completely unnecessary as it was it falls into the "better than I expected" category.

Stiler

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
Everyone: "Give us an Obi Wan movie!"

Disney: "Here's a Han Solo movie!"

Everyone: "Ugh, we don't want to see that."

Disney: "Whelp not enough people saw Solo so we are gonna back off those kind of movies."

Seriously, I am astounded that Disney isn't giving us the ONE prequel that everyone wants, even Ewan has begged them to do it and they just seem like they want to ignore the one movie everyone wants and pushed out Solo/Rogue One and others they have planned.

nib95

Contains No Misinformation on Philly Cheesesteaks
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I won't speak for others, but for me it wasn't just too close, but it was also because TLJ left somewhat of a bad taste in my mouth and took some of the hype and excitement out of the movie IP as a whole. Ironically after finally watching Solo, I think I may have actually enjoyed it more than TLJ.

Scullibundo

Oct 25, 2017
Everyone: "Give us an Obi Wan movie!"

Disney: "Here's a Han Solo movie!"

Everyone: "Ugh, we don't want to see that."

Disney: "Whelp not enough people saw Solo so we are gonna back off those kind of movies."

Seriously, I am astounded that Disney isn't giving us the ONE prequel that everyone wants, even Ewan has begged them to do it and they just seem like they want to ignore the one movie everyone wants and pushed out Solo/Rogue One and others they have planned.
You'd be surprised how little general audiences would give a shit about an Obi Wan prequel movie. "Everyone" in your scenario is - in reality, a small demographic of die hard fans.

I wouldn't put money into it if I were Disney, either.

Stiler

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
You'd be surprised how little general audiences would give a shit about an Obi Wan prequel movie. "Everyone" in your scenario is - in reality, a small demographic of die hard fans.

I doubt that, there were a ton of people asking for it, I never saw anyone mention wanting a Solo movie or Rogue One.

I mean there was enough people talking about it that Ewan himself was talking about it and wanting to do it.

ParanoidRED

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
It was a mix between "do i really care about this" and still being bittersweet/disappointed with TLJ

Still haven't watched it anyway

Mr. Pointy

Oct 28, 2017
Solo might have done better if they started their marketing 6 months before the movie was about to release instead of 3 months or whatever it actually was. Also, maybe put effort into marketing it outside the US?

Osahi

Oct 27, 2017

I didn't like Solo all that much (it was okay), but the strength of these A Star Wars Story's was that they didn't need to adhere to what you necessarily expect from Star Wars (Jedi, the Force, mythical storytelling) but could explore new genres and stories.

Solo basically took the scum & villany and the space western-part of Star Wars, en made it the focus of the movie, just like Rogue One focussed on the War-part. The result imo wasn't as good as it could have been, and even though I defended it in the run-up to release, in hindsight I think it was a mistake to make a movie centered around a young Han Solo. (And the troubled production kind of shows on screen) But the idea that Star Wars is this one thing is wrong imo, and it saddens me this bomb killed the chance of more theatrical spin-offs in the future (it seems the tv-shows will fill this hole). The possibilities could have been wild, with genre movies in the Star Wars universe.

Oct 25, 2017
I thought Solo was a dumb idea but a great movie,
personally it just had too many negatives working against it.
-director situation
-reaction to TLJ
-too close to the previous Star Wars(especially for one that wasn't necessary or extremely original)
-Lucasfilm delaying promotion so long

Even the merchandise was just thrown out with little effort

Had Ron Howard started completely from scratch or had some more time I think Solo could have passed Rogue One for the Disney era easily.

Modest_Modsoul

Living the Dreams
Oct 29, 2017
In my opinion, Solo was.........

Average.

Action scenes are great, Alden Ehrenreich is good as Han, Ron Howard did good job directing it I suppose, etc.

But that's it; the overall film just average.

Diego Renault

Nov 1, 2017
Solo is an amazing movie. Screw the haters (they probably didn't even watch it).

Too bad it was sent to die because of the TLJ fuck up. 5 month after TLJ, the internet criticism was super high, so Solo had a very rough start.

It is just very unfortunate, since - genuinly - the move is really good.

Even if you are not a Star Wars fan, it's a good movie. I was super surprised when I saw it. Ended up watching it 3 times.

ArkkAngel007

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
The heck

Han is a top 5 character in the saga, maybe top 3.

Edit: Or do you just mean the movie?

It's odd. Out of most of the main characters from the series, Han was the one with the most potential, and it wasn't uncommon back before the Disney purchase for people to talk about character spin-offs with "If Harrison Ford was younger...". It wasn't until the announcement that suddenly people thought the character had a worthless background.

Granted, the film was awful in how it was handled. It blew through everything, as if it needed to hit every single line drop of his past, plus somehow tie it to the greater picture with the how Rebellion funding aspect. It's a wonder that a post-credit scene didn't have him drop his cargo at the first sight of an Imperial Star Destroyer unless I forgot that was in the movie.

Yet the same folks will salivate over hermit Ewan McGregor sitting on Tatooine. Love the actor and the character of Obi-Wan as well, but of story's that really don't need to be told...

Idk, in some ways the timing was a factor. It's not that Star Wars can't offer varied experiences. There's a ton of different aspects of that universe that could be explored. But a non-Harrison Ford solo that was a highlight reel first and a film second in a short period after the main film was always going to be met with a tepid response.

Scullibundo

Oct 25, 2017
I hope they make the Obi Wan on Tattoine film and it's literally Scorsese's Silence, except set on Tattoine, where Kenobi is trying to spread the word of the Force, before going fucking crazy and earning his infamous reputation as a crazy old hermit fuck.

El Bombastico

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I didn't like Solo all that much (it was okay), but the strength of these A Star Wars Story's was that they didn't need to adhere to what you necessarily expect from Star Wars (Jedi, the Force, mythical storytelling) but could explore new genres and stories.

And therein lies the problem, as I've been telling everyone since Solo flopped. Star Wars, without the Force or Jedi, is bog standard generic sci-fi.

What did a space western like Solo offer that we haven't already seen before in things like Firefly and Cowboy Bebop? What could ANY non-Jedi SW stories offer that other sci-fi properties haven't done before?

People (and this includes Disney, it seems) always want to believe that Jedi/the Force hold Star Wars back. But it's the opposite: it's what makes the franchise unique and separates it from every other sci-fi property out there.

Osahi

Oct 27, 2017
And therein lies the problem, as I've been telling everyone since Solo flopped. Star Wars, without the Force or Jedi, is bog standard generic sci-fi.

What did a space western like Solo offer that we haven't already seen before in things like Firefly and Cowboy Bebop? What could ANY non-Jedi SW stories offer that other sci-fi properties haven't done before?

People (and this includes Disney, it seems) always want to believe that Jedi/the Force hold Star Wars back. But it's the opposite: it's what makes the franchise unique and separates it from every other sci-fi property out there.

I don't agree. I think there is more to Star Wars than Jedi's and the Force. Sure, it' s a more unique aspect of it, but has other stuff that makes it feel like Star Wars. Solo didn't have the Force or Jedi's and really felt like Star Wars to me. Rogue One also worked fine without a focus on Force sensible character's, even though some of it slipped in. The leaked footage of the Mandelorian also was unmistakenly something from Star Wars, without the Force. It had the scum and villany and western vibe that is ingrained in it too. I would also argue that Firefly took many cues from Star Wars

I don't thin anyone thinks the Jedi or Force hold Star Wars back. But there are people who imo rightfully believe there are other aspect of Star Wars that might be the basis of interesting stories too.

Gifmaker

Banned
Oct 29, 2017

Hi I'm Gifmaker, nice to meet you, Solo is about as pure a Star Wars adventure flick as you can get. Can I do anything else for you?

Deleted member 32374

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 10, 2017
$250 million dollars before marketing was the problem. Unless Disney can accept that a star wars film won't do a billion at the box office, they'll be another solo down the line.

MillionIII

Banned
Sep 11, 2018
I never felt the need to watch this movie, just sounds pointless, if it was a tv show it would be much more interesting to me.

skeezx

Oct 27, 2017

a film starring Ewan would do better than Solo i would imagine, he's pretty iconic on the role by now. not that i blame them for passing it up though

would be cool if Disney put out a nice little star wars film now and again, like the hypothetical Obi Wan/speghetti western thing, that isn't intended to rack up half a billion to a billion+ dollars. just a good movie that does well enough