• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

EdibleKnife

Oct 29, 2017
Fucking ooof.
Man, the left just seems dead set on eating its own.

Focus on the fucking goal people. The policy disputes comes later, first y'all need win and put people in place to lobby and work with.
I'm not sure what this has to do with anything. To start Kathy isn't running for office. Second, there's such a thing as being principled. I'm not going to make an exception for Kathy in this case simply because she's also a progressive and no one else should either. I actually believe in the fact that abuse for marginalized people doesn't only exist on the internet. This is a Muslim woman coming off of one of the most horrendous acts of anti-Muslim violence in recent memory. Pulling this nonsense where Kathy wants to count score of abuse is gross. Finally, why is it that we need to be nice to Kathy for the sake of a win? Isn't this Muslim woman also a voter who will contribute to pushing towards electing progressive candidates? Does her vote count less than Kathy's? If we risk "pushing away" Kathy what does that say about how she's possibly pushing away this Muslim woman? If Kathy is really an ally she should be able to take this critique of her behavior in stride.

Brazil

Actual Brazilian
Oct 24, 2017
São Paulo, Brazil
couldn't be much clearer that a certain segment of liberals only practices values of anti-bigotry and solidarity with marginalized groups selectively, when it aligns with their existing worldviews and makes them feel good about their own wokeness. Ask them to confront their own complicity in oppression and bigotry, and you're an enemy who must be destroyed
People like Griffin love to wear the "progressive" label, but that shit goes out the window as soon as they need to address or risk some of their own privilege. Can't risk actually changing the status quo even slightly.

Shy

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
People like Griffin love to wear the "progressive" label, but that shit goes out the window as soon as they need to address or risk some of their own privilege. Can't risk actually changing the status quo even slightly.
4XPYxvo.jpg

HustleBun

Nov 12, 2017

Focus on the fucking goal people. The policy disputes comes later, first y'all need win and put people in place to lobby and work with.
So I've been thinking this a lot lately. You're right about one thing, the left absolutely eat their own. Often.

But you picked the wrong place for this statement. It doesn't apply here. What do we lose with Kathy Griffin?

Please don't act like she doesn't deserve to get shit on for this. She stuck her nose in and attacked a woman who was already being bullied. Griffin is out of line here. We have no room for this kind of bullshit. A Muslim woman of color has enough unwarranted hate to deal with, they shouldn't have to take it from a pretend-feminist rich white celeb.

Brazil

Actual Brazilian
Oct 24, 2017
São Paulo, Brazil
So I've been thinking this a lot lately. You're right about one thing, the left absolutely eat their own. Often.

But you picked the wrong place for this statement. It doesn't apply here. What do we lose with Kathy Griffin?

Please don't act like she doesn't deserve to get shit on for this. She stuck her nose in and attacked a woman who was already being bullied. Griffin is out of line here. We have no room for this kind of bullshit. A Muslim woman of color has enough unwarranted hate to deal with, they shouldn't have to take it from a pretend-feminist rich white celeb.
Nah, man. This "leftists eating their own" shit is a complete fabrication.

If someone like Griffin pulls off a stunt like this, the left should and will call them out for their shit.

If as a result of that they double down, refuse to come to terms with their own failings, or slide further to the right, then they get eaten. But doing that means that they were never "one of our own" in the first place. They were just masquerading.

Deleted member 6230

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
"Leftist eating their own"= "please don't be critical of me and force me to do any introspection of myself viewpoints and politics"

Last edited:

Lentic

Oct 27, 2017
But she shouted at a pregnant lady!!

The other thread about this showed how much of a clown show this is. It didn't take long for people to start throwing around anti Clinton conspiracies. Lots of people were calling the woman crazy and tone policing her. Some even dug up tweets from when she was 13 in order to smear her.

To some people protecting their political celebrities is more important than making the voice of Muslims heard in the wake of a massacre.

Last edited:

Tukarrs

Oct 27, 2017
At this point Chelsea Clinton needs to step in and tell people to knock it off, and say what she experienced wasn't a big deal, and that people need to focus on white supremacy.

EdibleKnife

Oct 29, 2017

If someone like Griffin pulls off a stunt like this, the left should and will call them out for their shit.

If as a result of that they double down, refuse to come to terms with their own failings, or slide further to the right, then they get eaten. But doing that means that they were never "one of our own" in the first place. They were just masquerading.
This. As progressives we should be the arbiters of taking criticism and performing self-reflection. We should be able to particularly empathize with our allies in marginalized groups. We should be ready to hear when we slip up and do something racist, or sexist, or homophobic/transphobic etc.

Someone like Louis CK is a recent example who was just putting on a performance. He committed sexual abuse and was literally the complete opposite of the friendly, enlightened shlub persona he set up. Thing is, he could have apologized and learned and gotten help. He could have taken his licks but stuck to still supporting progressive ideals. But instead he chose to abandon those ideals when he was caught and called out so he could go feed his ego with people would accept his gross actions and cheer for him when he played into being a bigot.

If Kathy's response to this is to tell everyone calling her out to fuck off and isn't willing to actually do some reflection, I can see her going down the exact same path. Going down that path means that she was never actually sincere in the first place.

Oct 25, 2017

I mean, a lot of this type, ironically, is what handed the presidency to Trump. There's a certain sect of people who see the country burning but think we should just keep trodding down the same path. It's a super great way to disenfranchise a large portion of your voterbase.

pigeon

Oct 25, 2017
At this point Chelsea Clinton needs to step in and tell people to knock it off, and say what she experienced wasn't a big deal, and that people need to focus on white supremacy.

I'm not sure I agree that she is obligated but I think it would be good if she did this and I generall think all the people attacking the student over this are kind of psychos.

Lentic

Oct 27, 2017
She could've resolved this yesterday by sending out a simple little tweet. I wouldn't be surprised if she's enjoying this. That's the thing about these kinds of liberals. They'll preach about racism and hate, but when the time comes to go against the grain they completely fall in line. It's why the woman was calling her out to begin with.

HustleBun

Nov 12, 2017

I mean I agree with all of this. But you've seen some of the threads on Resetera where we devour someone within minutes of a quote or a rumor about a supposed opinion that a celebrity has, right? That's not exclusive to Resetera.

But again, I agree completely with you. Kathy and folks like her should be held accountable for their actions. And your point about seeing if they double down or refuse to accept their failings is so spot on.

My point to that "leftists eat their own" guy was that this should not be the hill where he plants that flag. Kathy being held accountable for something shitty that she did and said is not us "eating our own".

It's someone being an asshole. Full stop.

Deleted member 31817

Nov 7, 2017
You think YOU'VE faced bullying just because you've had your home taken over by a right wing government that has massacred your people in camps, bulldozed your homes, shot at journalists and medics, restricted your people's civil rights, and jailed 40% of your population all while continuing to receive international support through logical fallacies, gas lighting and defense contracts? Well I'll have YOU know I got twitter threats after a post I made!

ArcLyte

Nov 1, 2017

Fucking this. The in-fighting and progressive purity tests are why Trump will win a second term. Every liberal/progressive/soc-dem in this country needs to vow to vote for the democratic nominee no matter what.

FaceHugger

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
USA
I saw that in my feed when I was on the crapper earlier. Seemed like a weird flex from Griffin. I shrugged and scrolled on - it's Kathy Griffin afterall.

Deleted member 31817

Nov 7, 2017

You're talking about Griffin being an absolute fucking moron here and not the people condemning her right

Deleted member 31817

Nov 7, 2017
Fucking this. The in-fighting and progressive purity tests are why Trump will win a second term. Every liberal/progressive/soc-dem in this country needs to vow to vote for the democratic nominee no matter what.
What thread do you think you're in? What world do you think you're in where you think telling people who are this politically active to vote as if they don't know that already? Where do you get the idea that you think you can claim handwaving away genocide as a purity test and use it to bludgeon legitimate criticisms?

pigeon

Oct 25, 2017

Nobody can realistically do that. If the Dems nominated David Duke, or, to pick a slightly more ludicrous example, Tulsi Gabbard, I would not expect anybody to vote for them regardless of any vow. Which is just another way of saying we've all got policy brightlines we don't want to cross and we also all would like to beat Trump.

EdibleKnife

Oct 29, 2017
Answer this: Does Kathy's vote matter to you more than the vote of the very Muslim woman she addressed? Why?
This isn't a "purity test". Sniping at a Muslim woman in the wake of a massacre of Muslim individuals isn't about purity. It's basic dignity and having principles. This shit is gross and is no different from the same venom-filled treatment Muslims already have to put up with from bigots on the right. We can't just suddenly allow fellow progressives to act like bullies no different from Alex Jones or Ben Shapiro just so we can get a win. Progressives should be about supporting the very disenfranchised groups we're trying to save.

Deleted member 31817

Nov 7, 2017
Answer this: Does Kathy's vote matter to you more than the vote of the very Muslim woman she addressed? Why?
This isn't a "purity test". Sniping at a Muslim woman in the wake of a massacre of Muslim individuals isn't about purity. It's basic dignity and having principles. This shit is gross and is no different from the same venom-filled treatment Muslims already have to put up with from bigots on the right. We can't just suddenly allow fellow progressives to act like bullies no different from Alex Jones or Ben Shapiro just so we can get a win. Progressives should be about supporting the very disenfranchised groups we're trying to save.
That's the thing, this would be a mad fucking dumb comment by Griffin even if Christchurch didn't happen solely bc the woman she's criticizing is Palestinian. The fact that she thought it was a good look right after a massacre from a different extremist sect across the globe is even more damning.

Brazil

Actual Brazilian
Oct 24, 2017
São Paulo, Brazil
No. If Trump wins, it'll be because of people like you, who willingly line up to capitulate to every single blunder from the white elites and turn around to tone police minorities instead, thus completely disenfranchising them from the one party that can trounce the GOP.

No one is even talking about votes in this thread. Jesus Christ.

We have a white millionaire calling a Palestinian 20 y/o student a "fucking pussy" and dismissing the threats and abuse she's receiving for daring to raise her voice against sacred aristocracy after she saw her people massacred by white supremacists, and you're here telling us that we're doing "purity tests" for not buying that shit?

Go look up the word 'perspective' on a dictionary.

Frozenprince

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
If yok u think it's just Kathy Griffen you're dead wrong. Read the responses to her tweets. They are fucking disturbing

Deleted member 31817

Nov 7, 2017
Weird how Omar got tut tuts for using clunky language but Clinton literally said she was trafficking in anti-semitism and those same people are silent. Talk about a dogwhistle.

Frozenprince

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Are we seriously relitigaging 2016 ina thread about a rich out of touch old white woman calling a woman who's here because her parents had to flee a violent apartheid state a pussy because people are literally threatening to kill her?

Yes, clearly it is the fault of the left and not, you know, that online culture is amoral and nihilistic search for any meaning in late capitalism

GuessMyUserName

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Toronto
Christ, how fucking stupid and/or monstrous do you have to go this route of peak white feminism to attack a Muslim Palestinian teenage girl ~48 hours between a white supremacist terror attack? Because she spoke up about fucking Islamophobia preceding said terror attack no less.

God damn shameful.

Lentic

Oct 27, 2017
Are we seriously relitigaging 2016 ina thread about a rich out of touch old white woman calling a woman who's here because her parents had to flee a violent apartheid state a pussy because people are literally threatening to kill her?

Yes, clearly it is the fault of the left and not, you know, that online culture is amoral and nihilistic search for any meaning in late capitalism
It really blows my mind how 50 people can be massacred and that's what their minds jump to first. It really shows you what their perspective actually is.
Kathy should have attacked that woman's homophobia.
Nice smear attempt.

Psychonaut

Jan 11, 2018
7ed3d4a9c573149821ea6e7752ae4fac9fe238aa23f49730761bff1cbe8266e3.jpg

Must not... break ranks... with influential white woman... who tacitly endorsed right-wing talking points.

Oct 25, 2017
That isn't the most heinous bullying that happens on the internet...therefore it isn't bullying? Well that's fucking stupid. Griffin is trash

My non-controversial thoughts

- Ilhan Omar was right to call out the power of AIPAC and the Israel lobby. It wasn't antisemitic. It was accurate
- Chelsea Clinton was wrong and latched on to the same talking points meant to shut down any criticisms of Israel

That said, I don't know about lumping in her calling Omar "anti-semitic" and Christchurch. I suspect some people here agree with the student and feel she was exactly right to rip into Clinton as she did, but to me it's a bit of a stretch

Also that said... I shed no tears for Clinton. She's a public figure taking shots at Muslim-American congresswomen and, so far as I know, has not been a meaningful advocate for the prejudice they face every day? Hopefully she at least understands the rage

There are leftists here that condoned the harassment and death threats she's gotten over this.

https://www.resetera.com/threads/ch...ming-her-for-the-new-zealand-massacre.105666/

Some allies.
Just seeing this now. That thread was a difficult read at first but some sensible people came in later on in the first page at least.

Unfortunately it seems like some people fall into line based on old Clinton/Bernie demarcations. Idiotic

Last edited:

Koo

Dec 10, 2017
The confrontation and this aftermath has gotten really really stupid and has pulled focus of the tragedy. So good job and claps on the back all around I guess.

I'm sure Kathy will give some whatever apology and it'll still be a parade of stupid going on after that.

JDSN

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Being an "Ally" usually ends at the first sight of discomfort. This is unsurprising.

Deleted member 32561

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 11, 2017
Kathy should have attacked that woman's homophobia.
Hi, pansexual man here.

If you're also LGBT? She was 13. You can't tell me you weren't saying edgy shit at that age.

And if you're straight? Don't dare fucking weaponize a real goddamn issue I and millions of others face to justify the harassment of a student who (rightfully) criticized a public figure for her hypocrisy.

Last edited: