• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Deleted member 31817

Nov 7, 2017
Hi, pansexual man here.

If you're also LGBT? She was 13. You can't tell me you weren't saying edgy shit at that age.

And if you're straight? Don't dare fucking weaponize a real goddamn issue I and millions of others face to justify the harassment of a student who (rightfully) criticized a public figure for her hypocrisy.
Bi dude here agreed 100%

Oct 25, 2017
Hull, England
Typical dumb dumb celebrity, they are only progressive when it suits them, most celebs don't give a shit about anyone but them selves, they only act progressive to keep their careers going smoothly, though this griffin is pretty much a has been these days.

Deleted member 31817

Nov 7, 2017
Also 19 of the victims were from Palestine

Koo

Dec 10, 2017
Hi, pansexual man here.

If you're also LGBT? She was 13. You can't tell me you weren't saying edgy shit at that age.

And if you're straight? Don't dare fucking weaponize a real goddamn issue I and millions of others face to justify the harassment of a student who (rightfully) criticized a public figure for her hypocrisy.
Edit: And to clarify, no, Kathy calling the student a p***** in a vacuum isn't harassment. It's weird and kinda pathetic, but not harassment. In the context of the tweet- calling her one due to being harassed- it's absolutely harassment in of itself.
Hi, gay man here.

I don't give a single shit if someone is 13. That's not just 'edgy shit' and I will judge a teenager for calling people faggots continuously online, as should we all. You excuse it at 13, you excuse it at 14, you excuse it at 15, and on and on. And when you finally deem them old enough to be called out on it, they will try to say it's 'just a word' and to stop being sensitive, and it doesn't mean anything bad, etc.

Now I'm not saying she deserves to be ATTACKED over it, but if people want to be rightfully angry she was saying that kind of stuff and want her to answer for it, I'm fine with that. She's allowed her anger, other people are allowed theirs.

Deleted member 31817

Nov 7, 2017

Luckily sane people have started rising to the top of the replies but does this dumb fuck really think a reply to this terrible kathy griffin tweet is a good time to call for unity and not alienating potential allies?

How are these people so fucking tone deaf

Deleted member 31817

Nov 7, 2017
Hi, gay man here.

I don't give a single shit if someone is 13. That's not just 'edgy shit' and I will judge a teenager for calling people faggots continuously online, as should we all. You excuse it at 13, you excuse it at 14, you excuse it at 15, and on and on. And when you finally deem them old enough to be called out on it, they will try to say it's 'just a word' and to stop being sensitive, and it doesn't mean anything bad, etc.

Now I'm not saying she deserves to be ATTACKED over it, but if people want to be rightfully angry she was saying that kind of stuff and want her to answer for it, I'm fine with that. She's allowed her anger, other people are allowed theirs.
She apologized. She was 13. I think if you're that young 7 years ago there's no need to be upset at it today to be frank. It sucks but it is what it is.

I used it despite being bi.

Deleted member 31817

Nov 7, 2017
Really amazing that the alt right and centrists are equally outraged at the woman that griffin had a shitfit over

Really telling

Deleted member 32561

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 11, 2017
Hi, gay man here.

See, I'd agree. It's an awful word. But the context is this was 7 years ago and she has since apologized for it's use.

It's kind of pointless to bring up now except to weaponize the issue. Especially distressing to see calling that out being utilized by people who claim to be our allies trying to justify a hate mob going after a WoC for speaking truth to the same sort of power that oppresses us.

Deleted member 31817

Nov 7, 2017
Oh also the woman who's getting harassed didnt record or upload the video

This is so fucking transparent

pigeon

Oct 25, 2017
Hi, gay man here.

How exactly does it make sense to make a random student "answer for" things they said at 13? Do you want her to donate 20% of her pay to a charity? She has no influence or power. The way you hold somebody accountable for that is to report their tweets or yell at them as an actual personal acquaintance.

Do you really think it is appropriate for thousands of people on the internet to yell individually at every single person who made hateful comments as a teenager? If not, what distinguishes this woman?

mugurumakensei

Elizabeth, I’m coming to join you!
Oct 25, 2017
She was 16 at the time. Her tweet from feb 2 says she turned 22 this year(the tweets are from 2013). Beyond that, my uncle was afraid of coming out for years(was kind of an open secret in the family) because of the types that spout that word.

What makes this woman worth calling out is she's hypocritical. She's anti-identity politics when justifying her support for Bernie Sanders and his tone-deafness to black supporters. She's pro-identity politics when it comes to her identity as Muslim Palestinian. That's actually quite her identity is part of her experience, but you need to realize not everybody's experience is your own. There are certain things we should all accept.

Unless you are a member of said minority, you should not use slurs that have been reclaimed.

You should not say identity politics is wrong. Wanting someone in office who has your share experience is not wrong.

You should not make a mourning about you and you also shouldn't make it about someone else either. By litigating at the vigil Chelsea was invited to, Lena made it about Chelsea. It shouldn't have been about either of them. It should have been about the 50 NZ people who died at the hands of an islamaphobe.

Last edited:

Deleted member 31817

Nov 7, 2017
She was 16 at the time. Her tweet from feb 2 says she turned 22 this year(the tweets are from 2013). Beyond that, my uncle was afraid of coming out for years(was kind of an open secret in the family) because of the types that spout that word.
That's less forgivable but

1) she has apologized and not just a bs one
2) she has clearly changed
3) her past homophobic tweets are being used by the alt right to discredit her points about Palestine and downplay her death threats
4) there's something to be said about power dynamics and punching down here and griffin herself is such a big hypocrite on the issue

Lentic

Oct 27, 2017
It was still 6 years ago and 16 is hardly an adult, she's also apologized. Why do people keep looking for things smear her with? That's what you should answer first. Some people seem to have a hard time understanding who the victim is in this situation.

intheflorsh

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Did you ever use any kind of language (online or otherwise) in your teen years that you regret today? Do you think it's fair to hold a random 16 year old to the same level of accountability as a millionaire adult from a massively influential family?

Deleted member 31817

Nov 7, 2017
-WoC

It was still 6 years ago and 16 is hardly an adult. Why do people keep looking for things smear her with?
Well people here are at least legitimately upset by it even if their priorities and response are massively out of whack which is miles better than bigots using it to discredit her points and harass her

Nov 14, 2017
Also 19 of the victims were from Palestine
People who fled a slow moving but inexorable campaign of ethnic cleansing only to find themselves labelled as "invaders" and attacked in the place that gave them refuge. Then those in the west who vehemently defend the state that is conducting said campaign of ethnic cleansing whilst offering the occasional sop to the victims turn around and say how sorry they are.
Hi, gay man here.

Do you think anyone who's digging through these tweets is earnestly interested in if or how this hitherto unknown person's views have evolved through their teens? It's tone policing - the original definition of it, not the misconception that it's simply any critique of language - dismissing a speaker or their statements on the basis of tone. This person said X, therefore they are a bad person and their criticisms can be dismissed.

There's nothing wrong with criticising these tweets, or even being unsatisfied with whatever apologies she's made (though I think that's an excessive standard to hold for someone who is essentially a random member of the public who we know almost nothing about). But unless you're explicitly divorcing this criticism from the central discussion of her interactions with Clinton you're tone policing.

Deleted member 31817

Nov 7, 2017
People who fled a slow moving but inexorable campaign of ethnic cleansing only to find themselves labelled as "invaders" and attacked in the place that gave them refuge. Then those in the west who vehemently defend the state that is conducting said campaign of ethnic cleansing whilst offering the occasional sop to the victims turn around and say how sorry they are.
And then get offended and sic their followers on people when they dare to point it out. True progressive icons

Deleted member 31817

Nov 7, 2017
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sabra_and_Shatila_massacre

Imagine if fake selective white liberal outrage was directed at the parties that actually deserve it

6d83cf9fc3f7aca65fc3d997f831414d--law-students-funny-shit.jpg

Oh or blaming the original imperialist partition plans that are less than a century old and led to millions of deaths that could have been avoided if the west gave a shit about people in other regions

Oct 27, 2017
How long do you keep beating up a person for a slur from when they were an adolescent? She has sincerely apologised for using it, what are you hoping to get from her?

TheModestGun

Banned
Dec 5, 2017
She apologized. She was 13. I think if you're that young 7 years ago there's no need to be upset at it today to be frank. It sucks but it is what it is.

I used it despite being bi.
Also a bi dude. I DEFINITELY was way too comfortable using that word pejoratively as a teenager.

You are what you know. And all I knew then was that the people I was surrounded with used it and it was "ok". Obviously it's not, but I indeed did not understand how truly hurtful it is. MOST kids just arent that reflective, and the fact that this is trying to be weaponized against her, it's an obvious attempt at trying to obfuscate the larger point she had originally made. To shift the conversation away from the fact that white liberals are far too often willing to pick and choose what versions of prejudice they care about.

mugurumakensei

Oct 25, 2017
Did you ever use any kind of language (online or otherwise) in your teen years that you regret today? Do you think it's fair to hold a random 16 year old to the same level of accountability as a millionaire adult from a massively influential family?

The only slur I've ever use is the R-word and I stopped using that by my teens(once I had a classmate that well I felt bad when I said because it seemed like I was making him a joke). I don't like normalizing things as just jokes.

By my mid-teens,

1) I had been raised by a lesbian couple for a year when my mom and dad split up the first time and my mom abandoned my middle sister and I due to a drug habit.
2) Spent a few months staying at a friends house cause my dad got arrested for drug use and "resisting arrest" while my mom was in rehab.
3) Saw a classmate get bullied cause he acted feminine.
4) Lived in a neighborhood where one half of the neighborhood was supremacist that called the other half of the neighborhood a slur for Hispanic.
5) met a person who's grandparents survived the holocaust
6) saw a classmate get bullied for being Muslim after 9/11.

Truth is I despite people treating any language as just a joke. Especially now it's important to note. There are very rarely just jokes when it comes to stereotypes and slurs. 99% it reveals how you really feel.

Deleted member 31817

Nov 7, 2017
damn straight. threads like this should be fucking locked
what? How was she making the vigil about her? By passionately confronting someone who's made negative comments against her community just days prior?

Which is especially weird when you consider the vast majority of Muslims and Arabs on twitter supporting the student and not getting mad she "made the event about her". It's her community. She confronted Clinton and didn't realize it would be recorded and published.

Deleted member 31817

Nov 7, 2017
Ah, good ol victim blaming.

"That WoC shouldn't have raised her voice and should've remained civil after a massive terrorist attack was committed against her people! Shame on her!"

What a look.
it's something alright

meanwhile if trump showed up this would be a 20 page thread of everyone high fiving the student for standing up to trump. But since it's criticism of a self-identified liberal it's terrible

mugurumakensei

Oct 25, 2017
To be clear,

On the subject of getting death threats, I think it's kind of obvious there's only on right response. That no one should get death threats for confronting a person. Rather than calling Lena a "pussy" (I'm not going to get too much into that as Lena likes to use it too. Don't know why it's a slur vagina's are ducking strong to handle child birth.) Kathy should have offered her support in dealing with death threats and privately discussed any misgivings with Lena confronting Chelsea(supposing she had any).

I just think we need to start being consistent with confronting the harmful effects of language.

mugurumakensei

Oct 25, 2017
what? How was she making the vigil about her? By passionately confronting someone who's made negative comments against her community just days prior?

Which is especially weird when you consider the vast majority of Muslims and Arabs on twitter supporting the student and not getting mad she "made the event about her". It's her community. She confronted Clinton and didn't realize it would be recorded and published.

What???

https://www.buzzfeednews.com/articl...KDMa6rEzuB50AB1Tcxbp7ZdW_cGuDFqD2dNZMawg8gxj4

Leen and her friend Rose are the ones who posted the video.

Kitsunelaine

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Ah, good ol victim blaming.

"That WoC shouldn't have raised her voice and should've remained civil after a massive terrorist attack was committed against her people! Shame on her!"

What a look.
i'm not interested in anybody who tries to make a tragedy that happened a dozen blocks or so away from my house about the clintons, sorry

samoyed

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
This is literally the highest concentration of Bis/Pans I've seen in this community in all my years here.

Deleted member 31817

Nov 7, 2017
i'm not interested in anybody who tries to make a tragedy that happened a dozen blocks or so away from my house about the clintons, sorry
What does it say when you think that's what she did and don't think it's ok but the people the killer actually targeted don't think that

Kitsunelaine

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
What does it say when you think that's what she did and don't think it's ok but the people the killer actually targeted don't think that

making this tradegdy into anything less than a referendum on actual white supremacists that hold actual power in your country that actually influenced the actual deaths of dozens of my neighbours is incredibly insulting, i hope you realize this

intheflorsh

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The only slur I've ever use is the R-word and I stopped using that by my teens(once I had a classmate that well I felt bad when I said because it seemed like I was making him a joke). I don't like normalizing things as just jokes.

By my mid-teens,

1) I had been raised by a lesbian couple for a year when my mom and dad split up the first time and my mom abandoned my middle sister and I due to a drug habit.
2) Spent a few months staying at a friends house cause my dad got arrested for drug use and "resisting arrest" while my mom was in rehab.
3) Saw a classmate get bullied cause he acted feminine.
4) Lived in a neighborhood where one half of the neighborhood was supremacist that called the other half of the neighborhood a slur for Hispanic.
5) met a person who's grandparents survived the holocaust
6) saw a classmate get bullied for being Muslim after 9/11.

Truth is I despite people treating any language as just a joke. Especially now it's important to note. There are very rarely just jokes when it comes to stereotypes and slurs. 99% it reveals how you really feel.

No, I'm sorry, this is a ridiculous standard. What you say as an edgy teenage does not lock in what you "really believe" for the rest of your life. People are allowed to grow and mature.

Deleted member 31817

Nov 7, 2017
making this tradegdy into anything less than a referendum on actual white supremacists that hold actual power in your country that actually influenced the actual deaths of my neighbours is incredibly insulting, i hope you realize this
Why do you think islamophobia is somehow restricted to republicans

Why do you think Leen wasn't criticizing white supremacy

ah my bad I was going off of this

Deleted member 31817

Nov 7, 2017
so do you think chelsea clinton is a white supremacist or something

please show your homework
No but she certainly was islamophobic recently and is either supremely ignorant (I doubt it since she's in a political dynasty) or doesn't care about Palestinians

Lentic

Oct 27, 2017
I don't care if the shooting happened in your back yard. Unless you're someone who's directly affected by Islamophobia you have no fucking right to be tone policing this woman.

Kitsunelaine

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
No but she certainly was islamophobic recently and is either supremely ignorant (I doubt it since she's in a political dynasty) or doesn't care about Palestinians

What makes her a valulable target for all of this energy when you have the entire republican party sitting right there, directly, openly and unapologetically influencing mass murderers? What power does she hold right now? Is she an elected official? What makes her worth being a direction of all of this hatred in response to 50 deaths spurred by the rise of facism and white supremacy? Why are you so interested in dragging this issue down to the level of a poor excuse to bash the fucking Clinton family some more? I'm not saying they don't deserve it sometimes, but FUCK, man!

Ah yes, you are either completely not racist or a white supremacist.

No, I just used "white supremacist" in the post the user you're quoting responded to for a reason

I don't care if the shooting happened in your back yard. Unless you're someone who's directly affected by Islamophobia

i guess i don't live in a community of people that lost 51 souls

Deleted member 31817

Nov 7, 2017
What makes her a valulable target for all of this energy when you have the entire republican party sitting right there, directly, openly and unapologetically influencing mass murderers? What power does she hold right now? Is she an elected official? What makes her worth being a direction of all of this hatred in response to 50 deaths spurred by the rise of facism and white supremacy? Why are you so interested in dragging this issue down to the level of a poor excuse to bash the fucking Clinton family some more? I'm not saying they don't deserve it sometimes, but FUCK, man!
I'm not the one who attacked Clinton. I didn't waste any energy on it. Neither did the student. The student went to a vigil upset about her community being massacred, saw someone who stoked islamophobia recently and thought she was just coming to make herself feel good and then she confronted her about it. That you think it somehow takes away from the greater fight against Republicans is really odd

No, I just used "white supremacist" in the post the user you're quoting responded to for a reason
and yet you quoted the part where I said Islamophobia and not white supremacism

Kitsunelaine

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm not Muslim or Palestinian. I was claiming what SHE felt because she was actually there and what others in her community felt. That's what she's quoted as saying and thinking.

okay fine, i misread that, that's my bad

If you're wondering what my damage is, i'm really mad right now that some political communities are turning what happened in my city into an excuse to start up fucking political squabbles instead of teaming up to face the rise of white supremacy. we're all better than this

Deleted member 8593

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
1. People like Chelsea Clinton shouldn't expect there to be no consequences when they insert themselves into the discourse and signal boost a smear campaign against a Black Muslim woman. Invited or not, she had no business being at that vigil and I wish these privileged fucks had a tiny bit of self-awareness to realize that. Stop trying to make her the victim in this story.

2. Literally who gives a fuck about what Kathy Griffin has to say?

sirap

Oct 25, 2017
South East Asia
I missed the last thread but yikes, wasn't expecting to see Era members defend Clinton.

Chelsea Clinton and many other two faced assholes like her share a blame in this weeks tragedy. Fucking enablers of white supremacists.