• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Nerokis

Oct 25, 2017
They're rich white women. Are you really surprised ?

Kathy Griffin inserted herself into all this, but Chelsea Clinton...not really.

It's been a collective effort to almost instanteously turn the post-New Zealand Massacre discourse into a conversation about Chelsea Clinton of all people.

BernardoOne

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The piece of shit that immediately folded after the Trump head debacle calling someone else a pussy is quite something indeed.

Kitsunelaine

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Kathy Griffin inserted herself into all this, but Chelsea Clinton...not really.

It's been a collective effort to almost instanteously turn the post-New Zealand Massacre discourse into a conversation about Chelsea Clinton of all people.

and i still have no fucking idea why she matters

Wackamole

Oct 27, 2017
I don't even know what happened. I thought it was supposed to be funny. Did Chelsea Clinton do something bad?

Kitsunelaine

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Me too. People just don't want to listen.
Guess I'll just "tow the line" and shut the fuck up to appease the masters.
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
honestly participating in this thread has been really bad for me. i've felt physically ill pretty much since the day everything happened. well, first it was emotional, but then the stress started taking a real toll. something like this happening a half hour walk away from where you live does a number on you. i think i need to go lie down

Oct 25, 2017
honestly participating in this thread has been really bad for me. i've felt physically ill pretty much since the day everything happened. well, first it was emotional, but then the stress started taking a real toll. something like this happening a half hour walk away from where you live does a number on you. i think i need to go lie down
Hope you feel better soon, we're all pissed off for a number of reasons.
You're close to the attack, so I just want to say I'm not mad at you or anything and I'm sorry it had to be NZ of all places.
I'm probably going to take it easy myself because this anger isn't helping as much as I want it to.

It's been a shit few days, that's for sure. Frustrating, stressful and everything negative.
Muslim lad in London got beat up the same day during the attack, so the paranoia isn't exactly gone and won't be for a while.

Anyway, take it easy.

Nerokis

Oct 25, 2017

Yeah...sometimes it feels like you consciously need to give yourself permission not to be plugged into the online discourse.

The day the massacre happened, I somehow managed to avoid Twitter for most it. It was something that hung over the entire day, something I read about throughout the entire day, thought about...

Then I logged into Twitter, and saw that somehow Chelsea Clinton had displaced all of that and become the subject of conversation?

Sometimes not existing in that little pocket dimension is for the best.

Kitsunelaine

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Hope you feel better soon, we're all pissed off for a number of reasons.
You're close to the attack, so I just want to say I'm not mad at you or anything and I'm sorry it had to be NZ of all places.
I'm probably going to take it easy myself because this anger isn't helping as much as I want it to.

It's been a shit few days, that's for sure. Frustrating, stressful and everything negative.
Muslim lad in London got beat up the same day during the attack, so the paranoia isn't exactly gone and won't be for a while.

Anyway, take it easy.
Thanks. You too.

Yeah...sometimes it feels like you consciously need to give yourself permission not to be plugged into the online discourse.

The day the massacre happened, I somehow managed to avoid Twitter for most it. It was something that hung over the entire day, something I read about throughout the entire day, thought about...

Then I logged into Twitter, and saw that somehow Chelsea Clinton had displaced all of that and become the subject of conversation?

Sometimes not existing in that little pocket dimension is for the best.
yeah it just comes across to me as a flanderization of the cancer infecting our society. a legitimate issue on it's own terms but not on these terms. i just can't fucking deal with that right now

Ichthyosaurus

Banned
Dec 26, 2018
I don't even know what happened. I thought it was supposed to be funny. Did Chelsea Clinton do something bad?

Chelsea Clinton was asked to attend a virgil after the Muslim terrorist attack and this happened

Then the student in question was unfairly attacked with death threats etc on twitter because twitter is awful.

The confrontation was a response to her condemning Congresswoman Omar's tweets over anti-Semitism recently (which was explored in depth in various threads).

Jeb

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Mar 14, 2018
People are telling minorities to shut up and fall into party line and these minorities are realizing how expendable they are when said party is not using them diversity prop.

If they speak up about their brothers and sisters getting masscered oversees and all of a sudden that party throws them under a bus to appease special interests.

People demanding party unity can get fucked, if the party does not have their backs, then why should they?

Last edited:

sirap

Oct 25, 2017
South East Asia
Ultimately she doesn't. The problem comes after that video came out.
Yet many keep missing that...so.

And even if we ignore the harassment that happened afterwards, the people in that video had every right to be angry. To come there and expect them to welcome you with open arms, after all the shit she did to Omar, is peak white privilege. And while all of this was happening, Gaza was getting bombed. But folks aren't really talking about that are they? People like Chelsea made sure of that.

But I guess it doesn't matter cause our opinions don't matter. Save your anger for bigger things fellow muslims /s

Wackamole

Oct 27, 2017
Chelsea Clinton was asked to attend a virgil after the Muslim terrorist attack and this happened

Then the student in question was unfairly attacked with death threats etc on twitter because twitter is awful.

The confrontation was a response to her condemning Congresswoman Omar's tweets over anti-Semitism recently (which was explored in depth in various threads).

Thanx! I guess i missed those Clinton threads all together... I'll try and catch up. Not sure i understand yet. So this is all in the aftermath of the mass-shooting?
Shame the attention is shifting to this but again, i'll try and catch up.

Oct 25, 2017
And even if we ignore the harassment that happened afterwards, the people in that video had every right to be angry. To come there and expect them to welcome you with open arms, after all the shit she did to Omar, is peak white privilege. And while all of this was happening, Gaza was getting bombed. But folks aren't really talking about that are they? People like Chelsea made sure of that.

But I guess it doesn't matter cause our opinions don't matter. Save your anger for bigger things fellow muslims /s
It's depressing man.
You know, been thinking about this kind of thing forever now and ultimately I don't think it'll ever change.
You ultimately know that you're disposable to these lot. I got laughed at in this very site by a prominent member for cussing out Bush of all people a couple months back, didn't pursue any further action or anything...because I wasn't surprised.
Minorities are useful until they're not.
Our opinions really do not matter, a Muslim woman can't even be frustrated without all these "allies" throwing a fit because she dared to chat a storm.
Well, at least this veil has been shattered, I had my suspicions but now that it's confirmed I'm going to have to think about this for a while, what this means in the future.

Yeah...

Chie Satonaka

Oct 25, 2017
People are telling minorities to shut up and fall into party line and these minorities are realizing how expendable they are when said party is not using them diversity prop.

If they speak up about their brothers and sisters getting masscered oversees and all of a sudden they that party throws them under a bus to appease special interests.

People demanding party unity can get fucked, if the party does not have their backs, then why should they?

Don't worry.

We're watching. They keep showing their asses, they're going to pay a political price.

Ichthyosaurus

Banned
Dec 26, 2018

Except that was not what this is about. That's a very surface level framing of what's going on lately of why certain leftists were being disliked by Democrats lately. The underlying motives, about caring for what's happening for Palestine - cool. I'm ok with that, no problem there. It needs to put a spotlight on. Where this gets conflicts is about presentation and optics, the dreaded words too many leftists shrug off and don't care about but will gladly step on a rake over and over again because they don't care about presenting themeless in the best light and the message gets lost because they look terrible to their allies for being assholes. That's the thing here, it's not impossible to fix at all, it's a minor issue with communication.

Speak up about their brothers and sisters getting masscered oversees and all of a sudden their forced to tone down to appease special interests.

This is not what the discussions are about. We've had multiple threads which went into detail, which your ignoring the details about why people have issues with Omar and the student and it's not in bad faith. Completely ignoring context and layers to delve into tribalism over a sensitive matter which, your right, does deserve respect and letting marginalised people talk.

Disagreeing with you is not contingent on being a white supremacist or not caring about Palestine.

You're right, now is the time for dialogue with the Muslim community, who are hurting and need comfort. But how is assuming every Democrat who disagrees with you and being ok with harassment and bullying when it's not a Muslim on the other end is acceptable? How does that help anyone? I've lost count of leftists mocking "white women's tears" - how many people have reacted to Chelsea like she was Steve King himself. Disagree with her, fine. Being angry over her statements over this, sure understandable. Ok with how the students were bullying her over that tweet than broadcasting it? No, that's not reasonable. There is no justification for being an asshole. You like bullying or you don't, don't be a hypocrite about it if that's a belief you want to follow.

Kathy? Fuck her. I agree, she must be condemned harshly for bullying Rose and L_een (autocorrect).

This is your plan to stop white supremacy? Weaken the only party in the country who has the political strength to fight back on the electoral side?

Kitsunelaine

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This is your plan to stop white supremacy? Weaken the only party in the country who has the political strength to fight back on the electoral side?
This argument won't fly. It will be seen as nothing more than a cry for party loyalty. The left wing in America has legitimate issues that critics are right to call them out on. Balancing that with pushes to do good together is what's important. Criticize the party and work with them at the same time. Don't let one have a higher priority than the other, in either direction. Balance. It's all we have to work with.

Ichthyosaurus

Banned
Dec 26, 2018
This argument won't fly. It will be seen as nothing more than a cry for party loyalty. The left wing in America has legitimate issues that critics are right to call them out on. Balancing that with pushes to do good together is what's important.

True. I wanted to say I'm sorry for what you've been through and what a toll this thread has taken on you. Be well.

Kayla

Oct 28, 2017
If you look back on the past two threads on this issue people are clearly tone policing and trying to silence this muslim woman. "she's wrong on the issue!" "look at her homophobia from 6 years ago when she was a child!" "she's just trying to make money with her venmo links"

Pretty much all ugly smears. Islamophobia is coming from the far right and so called allies on the left. Chelsea Clinton contributed to this by calling Omar anti-Semitic. Fox News and the right wing conservative media are in agreement! This is what is so frustrating to minorities, and why this muslim woman lashed out. Is it really hard to imagine why a person of islamic faith would be frustrated at this time?

People that share her faith were just slaughtered. She may have not been correct to blame Chelsea, but her frustration is 100% warranted. Instead of having empathy for her many people want to silence and smear her. She's now being harassed and sent death threats, but people still want to defend Chelsea above her. Why? This is what white supremacy looks like.

Nerokis

Oct 25, 2017

To some extent, the response to her reminds me of the Brutally Honest Oscar Ballot piece that came up a month or two ago. The anonymous voter went through his thought process, and touched on a number of different things. They came across as basically liberal, anti-Trump, etc., etc.

They loved Blackkklansman. Thought it had a wonderful message. But on the subject of the backlash his friend Viggo Mortensem received for saying the n-word, he was totally dismissive and thought Viggo was fine to use it in the context he did. He loves anti-racism messages, but doesn't ponder how they might apply to him.

I'm someone who thought Illhan Omar's remarks about The Benjamins was a small mistake that warranted correction, but also thought the backlash she received (including the later one) was totally disproportional to anything she did and stuffed to the brim with racist and Islamophobic undertones.

This came up in conversation I was having earlier with a Loyal Democrat. They didn't think the comments were a big deal, either, but also didn't like that Rashida Tlaib later condemned the party. "I'm sure some Islamophobia exists among Democrats, but it's not like Republcian's," they said.

The thing is, Islamophobia takes different forms. It includes responding one way to a bunch of blatantly anti-Semitic remarks by white Christians, and another way to a slightly evocative remark by a black Muslim; it includes expressing sensitivity the terrible and affecting history of anti-Semitic tropes, such that even small comments that resemble them at all require vehement policing, but leaving Omar behind with just a handful of friends while she's swarmed by disingenuous, racist, Islamophobic, dangerous commentary.

The massive blindspots revealed there, the fact that the Democratic Party as a whole is part of the conversation about the marginalization of Muslims, deserve to be passionately called out. This young Muslim woman who lashed out at Chelsea Clinton was simply doing that work - and while in the midst of deep grief.

Now she's being subjected to the same failures of imagination, the same malicious intentions.

Except this time the cycle is repeating itself in the shadow of a horrible massacre in which 50 or more Muslims lost their lives. The resistance to growth that reveals is remarkable.

Who cares that Chelsea Clinton, a public figure who is as flawed as she is powerful, was made somewhat uncomfortable? You might think the accusation of personal responsibility for the massacre is unfair, but surely everyone can agree a lot of people have the responsibility to do better? (I include myself in that, by the way.)

She isn't the point. She shouldn't be the point. The fact that so much of the discourse I've seen has been oriented around either defending her or demonizing her is just sad, because none of that is the point, and the determination to focus on such nonsense as What Lies in Chelsea's Heart is a determination to repeat the same farcical cycles again and again and again.

Oct 25, 2017
It's almost like Kathy Griffin, Chelsea Clinton and other white so called allies are just fucking frauds who want to make it all about them and cry off when it comes to challenging the status quo.

Deleted member 907

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Except that was not what this is about. That's a very surface level framing of what's going on lately of why certain leftists were being disliked by Democrats lately. The underlying motives, about caring for what's happening for Palestine - cool. I'm ok with that, no problem there. It needs to put a spotlight on. Where this gets conflicts is about presentation and optics, the dreaded words too many leftists shrug off and don't care about but will gladly step on a rake over and over again because they don't care about presenting themeless in the best light and the message gets lost because they look terrible to their allies for being assholes. That's the thing here, it's not impossible to fix at all, it's a minor issue with communication.

This is not what the discussions are about. We've had multiple threads which went into detail, which your ignoring the details about why people have issues with Omar and the student and it's not in bad faith. Completely ignoring context and layers to delve into tribalism over a sensitive matter which, your right, does deserve respect and letting marginalised people talk.

Disagreeing with you is not contingent on being a white supremacist or not caring about Palestine.

You're right, now is the time for dialogue with the Muslim community, who are hurting and need comfort. But how is assuming every Democrat who disagrees with you and being ok with harassment and bullying when it's not a Muslim on the other end is acceptable? How does that help anyone? I've lost count of leftists mocking "white women's tears" - how many people have reacted to Chelsea like she was Steve King himself. Disagree with her, fine. Being angry over her statements over this, sure understandable. Ok with how the students were bullying her over that tweet than broadcasting it? No, that's not reasonable. There is no justification for being an asshole. You like bullying or you don't, don't be a hypocrite about it if that's a belief you want to follow.

Kathy? Fuck her. I agree, she must be condemned harshly for bullying Rose and L_een (autocorrect).

Did you miss this thread?

https://www.resetera.com/threads/when-civility-is-used-as-a-cudgel-against-people-of-color.105392/

Fuck civility.

Zelas

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
And jump on the bandwagon of blaming and harassing Chelsea for the NZ attacks? Lol, hard pass.

I don't understand why people think crossing a line impossible while getting up in arms about plenty of other things. Hypocrisy isnt voting power. Nor is it a tool that will convince moderates to take the far left more seriously.

Just be honest and say "fuck politics and winning electorates" instead of "fuck civility."

Buzzman

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
" I have never really understood exactly what a 'liberal' is, since I have heard 'liberals' express every conceivable opinion on every conceivable subject. As far as I can tell, you have the extreme right, who are fascist racist capitalist dogs like Ronald Reagan, who come right out and let you know where they're coming from. And on the opposite end, you have the left, who are supposed to be committed to justice, equality, and human rights. And somewhere between those two points is the liberal.

As far as I'm concerned, 'liberal' is the most meaningless word in the dictionary. History has shown me that as long as some white middle-class people can live high on the hog, take vacations to Europe, send their children to private schools, and reap the benefits of their white skin privilege, then they are 'liberal'. But when times get hard and money gets tight, they pull off that liberal mask and you think you're talking to Adolf Hitler. They feel sorry for the so-called underprivileged just as long as they can maintain their own privileges."

- Assata Shakur

Jag

Oct 26, 2017
anyway it's so incredibly revealing that the same liberals whose response to Ilhan Omar was "you can't tell Jews they're wrong about what is and isn't antisemitism" are perfectly fine telling Muslims they're wrong about what is and isn't Islamophobia

Totally agree. Jews and Muslims should both be able to define what they consider to be hateful. Both as victims of hateful rhetoric and deadly attacks.

And fuck Kathy Griffin, she's an irrelevant attention seeking nobody.

Oct 25, 2017
" I have never really understood exactly what a 'liberal' is, since I have heard 'liberals' express every conceivable opinion on every conceivable subject. As far as I can tell, you have the extreme right, who are fascist racist capitalist dogs like Ronald Reagan, who come right out and let you know where they're coming from. And on the opposite end, you have the left, who are supposed to be committed to justice, equality, and human rights. And somewhere between those two points is the liberal.

As far as I'm concerned, 'liberal' is the most meaningless word in the dictionary. History has shown me that as long as some white middle-class people can live high on the hog, take vacations to Europe, send their children to private schools, and reap the benefits of their white skin privilege, then they are 'liberal'. But when times get hard and money gets tight, they pull off that liberal mask and you think you're talking to Adolf Hitler. They feel sorry for the so-called underprivileged just as long as they can maintain their own privileges."

- Assata Shakur

Damn that feels accurate.

Leandras

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
This is unbelievably disgusting stuff. It's not even a week since the massacre and the focus is already on a white person. And calling a palestinian woman a coward because you went through cyber bullying is really rich.

This is the problem with white American liberalism. They only care if you don't dare to question them.

Be grateful with the empty gestures and make sure to go out of your way to make them feel valued as an "ally". And don't dare ask why you cant have anything at the expense of white liberals.

Same song and dance

NoName999

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
And jump on the bandwagon of blaming and harassing Chelsea for the NZ attacks? Lol, hard pass.

I don't understand why people think crossing a line impossible while getting up in arms about plenty of other things. Hypocrisy isnt voting power. Nor is it a tool that will convince moderates to take the far left more seriously.

Just be honest and say "fuck politics and winning electorates" instead of "fuck civility."

Yeah we have to be nice to the Democratic Presidential nominee Chelsea Clinton or else Trump will win.

Why don't you be honest and say "I don't care about Muslims" instead of "We must stop Trump."

Deleted member 6230

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

you aint saying nothing of value.

Zelas

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah we have to be nice to the Democratic Presidential nominee Chelsea Clinton or else Trump will win.

Why don't you be honest and say "I don't care about Muslims" instead of "We must stop Trump."
Why dont you go right ahead and say I'm responsible for the NZ attacks too.

you aint saying nothing of value.
It's valuable to those who are capable of understanding "fuck civility" isn't an excuse for all behavior. There are still people out there who understand that even if you don't.

Oct 25, 2017

Chelsea Clinton is part of the status quo that has contributed to Islamophobia and a fear of immigration and multiculturalism that led to these attacks. Chelsea Clinton has a vested interest in upholding said status quo, and she proved it (as if any proof was needed) when he showed her ass over Ilhan Omar. She doesn't give a fuck about Islamophobia and she only turned up to that vigil to make herself feel good, just like the average white 'ally', and now a terrorist attack against Muslims is all about a white woman which suits her just fine.

So yeah, fuck politics when politics is against what is right and just. Fuck anybody that invokes politics or tries to use it as a forcefield to keep out the concerns of those who are oppressed and discriminated against and if that includes you then you can get fucked as well.

Deleted member 6230

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's valuable to those who are capable of understanding "fuck civility" isn't an excuse for all behavior.
I don't like when "'''civility'''' is used as a cudgel to silence minorities when we critique our supposed allies. If that's how you think you're not on my side you're just using us for self serving ends like your "team" winning.

Bernie

Banned
Dec 3, 2017
User Banned (permanent): Junior phase account, short history of low-effort and inflammatory posts.
Chelsea Clinton killed those people

Zelas

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Chelsea Clinton is part of the status quo that has contributed to Islamophobia and a fear of immigration and multiculturalism that led to these attacks. Chelsea Clinton has a vested interest in upholding said status quo, and she proved it (as if any proof was needed) when he showed her ass over Ilhan Omar. She doesn't give a fuck about Islamophobia and she only turned up to that vigil to make herself feel good, just like the average white 'ally', and now a terrorist attack against Muslims is all about a white woman which suits her just fine.

So yeah, fuck politics when politics is against what is right and just. Fuck anybody that invokes politics or tries to use it as a forcefield to keep out the concerns of those who are oppressed and discriminated against and if that includes you then you can get fucked as well.
And there is no line that isnt worth crossing? There isnt any line to cross that wont work against the goal of erasing islamaphobia? Why is that an ok thing for democrats to embrace??? Even Fox News has red lines.

i mean the win at costs at the expense if Muslims feeling safe is not helping your look
Maybe from your black and white perspective where suggesting folks check themselves instead of sanctioning ANY retaliation is the same as acting at the expense of muslims.

Oct 25, 2017
And there is no line that isnt worth crossing? There isnt any line to cross that wont work against the goal of erasing islamaphobia? Why is that an ok thing for democrats to embrace??? Even Fox News has red lines.

Should telling a fake ally they're not welcome be a red line that cannot be crossed at any cost?