• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Deleted member 110527

Mar 11, 2022

"they say no man is an island, but i am no man."

music is a subjective medium, so i understand that my weird tastes and unique takes are usually one-of-one and i just gotta accept that.

but not today.

Katie Alice Greer, the former vocalist of the punk band Priests, dropped their first solo album this past Friday, and it's fucking amazing. Made almost entirely by them and them alone (even the mixing!!), Barbarism sounds almost nothing like anything Priests ever dropped, and it sounds all the better because of it.

instead of diving headfirst into 3 power chord noise and screamed vocals as one may assume an ex-vocalist of a vicious punk band may, Katie Alice Greer instead smashes so many sonic influences and genres into each other that i struggle to summon a point of comparison. it's part pop record, part industrial, part sound collage, part experimental, part ambient, part drum and bass... the list goes on, and there's something here for everyone.

but it's not just to be weird, the layers have intention, and that only amplifies their impact. once you get used to the thrillingly unique production, you'll find hella dark subject matter all over this thing, as hinted at by the album title and cover. tracks about existential dread, isolation, and braving a world actively trying to dehumanize you as much as possible only hit harder nowadays, and the medium with which they're delivered is perfectly matched.

all the "cool music websites" aren't talking about this and i haven't seen too much online discussion about it. i'm here to change that, willingly throwing my full weight into trying to get everyone around me to listen to this fantastic fucking album.

Last edited:

krazen

Oct 27, 2017
Gentrified Brooklyn
I fucked with Priests hard, was disappointed when they imploded but was happy to catch one of their shows that year.

Ill give this a spin. As a frontperson they had fucking pipes (lol, I always feel people who can sing are wasted in punk)

andrew

Oct 25, 2017
happy yr enjoying the record.

I loved Priests from the jump—the Radiation/Personal Planes 7" came out and I was all in right away. Everything they did from then through Nothing Feels Natural was fantastic, and I'm glad I got to catch them live a few times.

The Seduction of Kansas was a big step down I thought, and then the band essentially ended. The first LP from Taylor's other band Flasher came out a while before that, and while I didn't love that either I liked it more.

I was hopeful for Barbarism even though I didn't like the singles, because I thought K.A.G. could still have something up her sleeve. But it's just not my thing. This kind of floaty, amorphous industrial art pop isn't my bag at all. I listen to a ton of ambient and sound collage, so my problems come more when musicians make stuff that splits the difference. All of this sounds to me like it can't decide whether to be a song or a sketch and satisfies as neither. All told I really don't like the direction Greer dragged Priests into at the end, and I don't like this. Wishing her the best though. (EDIT: after posting I realized everybody else was using they/them and worried I'd screwed up her pronouns but no, Katie uses she/her pronouns.)

Meanwhile all 3 other Priests seem to be doing well:

They all boost each other's current bands and work and are friendly, while none of them have mentioned Katie's work and have distanced themselves from her since the breakup...can't help but make one speculate about who the party at fault is for their dissolution

Daniele is in a handful of bands, Taylor has a new Flasher album out that's getting good reviews, and Gideon is in this funkier band now (with the drummer from Ex Hex) that's opened for Gang of Four at some shows.

all the "cool music websites" aren't talking about this and i haven't seen too much online discussion about it. i'm here to change that, willingly throwing my full weight into trying to get everyone around me to listen to this fantastic fucking album.
hm, the singles got coverage at NPR, Stereogum, Pitchfork, more. Pitchfork will probably review it this week. Seems to me like it's gotten as much coverage as any other record.

krazen

Oct 27, 2017
Gentrified Brooklyn

I loved Priests from the jump—the Radiation/Personal Planes 7" came out and I was all in right away. Everything they did from then through Nothing Feels Natural was fantastic, and I'm glad I got to catch them live a few times.

The Seduction of Kansas was a big step down I thought, and then the band essentially ended. The first LP from Taylor's other band Flasher came out a while before that, and while I didn't love that either I liked it more.

I got on the line early too; hell uploading their Bodies EP got me back in what.cd's good ratio graces back in the day, lol.

I think with Priests and Seduction is they got too far from what they were good at. They were a top tier punk band who rip live with solid art rock/post punk influences…into an ok indie rock band. If they had to zig zag out of boredom imho something more extreme like noise would have been fun, or hell maybe even pure punk pop on some fuck u we like Paramore too, bitch! But Kansas sounded like the 50 other records pitchfork reviews per week.

OP
OP

Deleted member 110527

Mar 11, 2022

first off, wow! thank you for such a great post with so much info! i honestly thought this post was gonna get instantly buried, so posts like this are a wonderful surprise.

see, this is where one of those hot takes i mentioned earlier comes in... Priests was always a band i respected way more than i actually liked. as someone who's most formative years were shaped heavily by discovering the riot grrrrl movement, i immediately felt Priests on a deep level and connected with it quickly... even had a friend suggest Priests to me because they knew i was into that kinda shit. but i just never really found them wonderful on a musical level, though it should be noted that in recent years i've found myself listening to far less rock music, so that could have played into it.

I was hopeful for Barbarism even though I didn't like the singles, because I thought K.A.G. could still have something up her sleeve. But it's just not my thing. This kind of floaty, amorphous industrial art pop isn't my bag at all. I listen to a ton of ambient and sound collage, so my problems come more when musicians make stuff that splits the difference. All of this sounds to me like it can't decide whether to be a song or a sketch and satisfies as neither. All told I really don't like the direction Greer dragged Priests into at the end, and I don't like this. Wishing her the best though. (EDIT: after posting I realized everybody else was using they/them and worried I'd screwed up her pronouns but no, Katie uses she/her pronouns.)

very fair points! i can totally respect your experience with the record, and i could imagine it would be really frustrating for it to not connect when you've loved the stuff they've done before so much and have just felt it connecting with you less and less as they continued.

i personally can't get enough of when music feels like an atmosphere you exist in, or a little world you live in, so the interplay between more rigid and more abstract song structure kind of blurs the line for me and makes it really thrilling to be in for a while. but to each their own!

and i just generally try to use neutral pronouns until i know someone's preferred pronouns, just to avoid assumption, which was the only reason i was using they/them! appreciate the info on the proper pronouns, good to know moving forward!

Meanwhile all 3 other Priests seem to be doing well:

They all boost each other's current bands and work and are friendly, while none of them have mentioned Katie's work and have distanced themselves from her since the breakup...can't help but make one speculate about who the party at fault is for their dissolution

Daniele is in a handful of bands, Taylor has a new Flasher album out that's getting good reviews, and Gideon is in this funkier band now (with the drummer from Ex Hex) that's opened for Gang of Four at some shows.

yeah, even just as a casual fan near the end of their lifespan, it was obvious there were battling artistic and stylistic drives in the group and it was kinda barely holding itself together. in my humble experiences in imploding bands, i find that those kinds of fractures are usually the most charged and damaging ones, but i don't know enough about the people involved to really talk about why they aren't friends anymore... regardless, it is interesting to note, and considering how different this sounds from what they made before, it's at least pretty clear something had to give for Katie to be able to go this far out on a record.

ooo, that's all cool to know! i'll have to check some of those out, especially Gideon's new band... opening for Gang of Four is pretty rad, even if they aren't as cool as they used to be lol

hm, the singles got coverage at NPR, Stereogum, Pitchfork, more. Pitchfork will probably review it this week. Seems to me like it's gotten as much coverage as any other record.

okay, i'll admit that point was, like, 50% based on me seeing not much post release coverage/reviews (and totally forgetting Pitchfork mentioned the record because i don't care much about them lol), 50% me just wanting to be a little bit of a catty shithead, so feel free to disregard lol