• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Oct 26, 2017
.hack// remasters did well because CyberConnect2 made a celebratory post commemorating the success of the collection. Correct me if I'm wrong, but the sales of Last Recode are higher than any of the original G.U. games on the PS2.

Calling it commemorating success is eh, it's more like CyberConnect2 celebrating the one-year anniversary of the collection being released.

AS for the numbers, What makes this complex is CyberConnect2 combined the .hack and .hack//G.U. series sales, so it's impossible to get separate numbers of each G.U. game. Even if we had access to the numbers, 300k is pretty underwhelming especially if the point of the remaster was to get the games in as many people's hands as possible.

Last edited:

Nanashrew

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I don't feel it's really indicative of anything though. Xenogear's had its 20th anniversary last year and was celebrated with a concert, it also got new figures that year too, There was a secret boss in World of Final Fantasy, and it got a collab in Brave Exvius either this year or last year, i forget. But it all feels like it was just for the 20th anniversary and will since be forgotten again by Square after the celebration fades away. Unless Square proves me wrong, and I honestly would like to be proven wrong.

Aleh

Oct 27, 2017
Xenogears should be remade in a simple 2D or 2.5D artstyle with the second half finally fleshed out, you could make something infinitely prettier and more polished than the original with a super small budget.
Xenosaga does sound trickier to handle.

Nairume

SaGa Sage
Oct 25, 2017
Square Enix is not going to remake a game that put together properly would be two time longer than FFVII and without the original developers.
So basically it's not happening unless Nintendo foots the bill and loans them Monolith, and there's no point to them bothering with that when they have their own Xeno series that is considerably more successful at this point.

I suppose that's also the real roadblock for Xenosaga at this point, too.

RagnarokX

Oct 26, 2017
I don't feel it's really indicative of anything though. Xenogear's had its 20th anniversary last year and was celebrated with a concert, it also got new figures that year too, There was a secret boss in World of Final Fantasy, and it got a collab in Brave Exvius either this year or last year, i forget. But it all feels like it was just for the 20th anniversary and will since be forgotten again by Square after the celebration fades away. Unless Square proves me wrong, and I honestly would like to be proven wrong.
I think part of that was Square noticing how popular Xenoblade was getting and going "Hey, Nintendo, look what we remembered that we own! "

Only way Square would remake Gears is if Nintendo paid them for it.

King Kingo

Banned
Dec 3, 2019
Square Enix is not going to remake a game that put together properly would be two time longer than FFVII and without the original developers.

A complete HD remake in the vein of Final Fantasy VII Remake? that's not going to happen. But remaking Xenogears to take advantage of the 2.5D style achieved with Octopath Traveler? that's not out of the realm of possibility. The development team behind Octopath Traveler talk about how PlayStation 1 JRPGS were the inspiration for the game's aesthetic style.

What better way to continue utilising that style than a Xenogears reamke? the original game was designed with 2D sprites on 3D backgrounds.

So basically it's not happening unless Nintendo foots the bill and loans them Monolith, and there's no point to them bothering with that when they have their own Xeno series that is considerably more successful at this point.

Monolithsoft has no rights over Xenogears. The copyright and trademark remain exclusively to Square Enix hence why the Xenogears cast are in Brave Exvius and Xenogears is in World of Final Fantasy.

RagnarokX

Oct 26, 2017
Monolithsoft has no rights over Xenogears. The copyright and trademark remain exclusively to Square Enix hence why the Xenogears cast are in Brave Exvius and Xenogears is in World of Final Fantasy.
The post you are responding to isn't saying that Monolith has rights to Xenogears. Square just wouldn't be interested in a remake that wouldn't be extremely profitable and would serve more as a promotion of Nintendo's Xeno games than anything else. Square is probably interestehd in having Nintendo pay them for a remake or the IP.

There's really no reason though, since Monolith has managed to keep the series vaguely connected without infringing on Square's copyrights and have injected most of the character, plot, and philosophical concepts of Gears and Saga into the Xenoblade games; and those are more popular than Gears and Saga ever were. They really pushed it with XC2.
H55lMac.jpg

Nairume

SaGa Sage
Oct 25, 2017
More than aware of that. I was responding to somebody talking about how SquareEnix wouldn't bother going through with it without the original staff around in some capacity.

Velezcora

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 16, 2017
Is it too much to ask for Xenogears to get the same treatment as FF9 did? Just a simple remaster with cheats and autosaving to bypass boss cutscenes.

Oct 31, 2017
The post you are responding to isn't saying that Monolith has rights to Xenogears. Square just wouldn't be interested in a remake that wouldn't be extremely profitable and would serve more as a promotion of Nintendo's Xeno games than anything else. Square is probably interestehd in having Nintendo pay them for a remake or the IP.

There's really no reason though, since Monolith has managed to keep the series vaguely connected without infringing on Square's copyrights and have injected most of the character, plot, and philosophical concepts of Gears and Saga into the Xenoblade games; and those are more popular than Gears and Saga ever were. They really pushed it with XC2.
H55lMac.jpg

Man if the next game is gonna continue having a more traditional anime style there better be some nice anime cutscenes

Nairume

SaGa Sage
Oct 25, 2017
Is it too much to ask for Xenogears to get the same treatment as FF9 did? Just a simple remaster with cheats and autosaving to bypass boss cutscenes.
I think this is just about the only reasonable expectation people can have, since nobody involved is going to both want to bother doing and be able to do much more.

ACL

Nov 18, 2017
I don't think a remaster would have been a big risk at all. It's not like it would have needed the same budget of a new game or remake. The problem is that they seem to be too risk averse when it comes to Switch, which would have been the target platform with Monolithsofts involvement.

An interesting idea would have been to market it under the Xenoblade brand.

Xenoblade Chronicles: (Xeno)Saga
or simply Xenoblade Saga

I don't think this is comparable to Bayonetta. Nintendo gained a co-ownership of Bayonetta because they funded the second game when Sega refused to. If you look at the copyright for Xenosaga in Project X Zone and Project X Zone 2, it's only credited to Bandai Namco. Likewise, KOS-MOS and T-Elos are solely copyrighted to Bandai Namco in Chronicles 2.

From how I interpret Harada's post, it seems as though he wanted to collaborate with Monolith Soft out of goodwill because they created the original batch of games, but because Monolith Soft is a Nintendo subsidiary, if you do business with Nintendo then you stick with their platforms. That immediately cancels out revenue from PS4 and PC purchases.

I didn't say it's a comparable situation, but it seems that BandaiNamco isn't interested in doing it, therefore there needs to be someone else pushing towards a solution because the original publisher doesn't, that's what I meant. Nintendo most likely is even less interested in reviving Xenosaga, their priority is Xenoblade and their own IPs in general. This scenario can only happen if Monolithsoft/Takahashi show big interest in the IP and are willing to convince Nintendo.

Last edited:

King Kingo

Banned
Dec 3, 2019

Hopefully it's not. Square Enix did re-release Xenogears digitally on the PlayStation 3 through the PSN store so they're not averse to re-releasing the game.

Draxyle

Oct 27, 2017
To do this properly they would need to back-port the combat and character models of the third game into the first two games.. and probably re-record all of the dialogue for consistency. I don't see a world where that happens, sadly. I love the series, but it needs a lot of work to clean up the rough edges.

Still, even a basic port/digital version should be made available at some point.

Man God

Oct 25, 2017
Xenosaga only gets remade if Nintendo steps in and funds it, and they probably won't do that.

Slightly more likely than Nintendo buying Namco Bandai and doing it that way.

rhandino

Oct 25, 2017
... Xenosaga I and II haven't aged that well at all except some very puntual aspects.

Maybe they could something like Monolith did back in the day for the DS in which they just put the first 2 games together with a new combat system.

So basically they would need to remake them and hew would do that? BAMCO probably would not want to do it without help from Monolith Soft and they have very little incentive to do it since they have their hands full with BOTW2 and their very own Xeno series that already tackled the themes from those games and are way more popular and sold way more than the 3 games combined iirc

Still... it would be nice if they ever remake them and use the same quality character models from Xenoblade 2

156058-full_xenoblade-chronicles-2-kos-mos-re-will-appear-in-sequel-ign.jpg

Dec 23, 2017
It's really important these games get remastered.

If you're a fan of Xenogears (like me), you need to play Xenosaga III. :)

If anything, like I said earlier, I would love to see the story of Xenosaga condensed into 1 game, using the KOS-MOS redesign from Xenoblade 2.

i-Jest

Oct 25, 2017
From how I interpret Harada's post, it seems as though he wanted to collaborate with Monolith Soft out of goodwill because they created the original batch of games, but because Monolith Soft is a Nintendo subsidiary, if you do business with Nintendo then you stick with their platforms. That immediately cancels out revenue from PS4 and PC purchases.

If I'm being super honest I'd be fine with console exclusivity as long as we get the games, but that's just me being a consumer. For Bandai Namco it probably doesn't make good business sense to commit to the project if they think they can't make their money back on one platform. Contrary to popular belief not everything sells well on Switch and there's no guarantee this would either.

Łazy

Nov 1, 2017
and there's a reason they don't touch it anymore
Yeah f* Xenosaga and W101 then. : )

I can understand profit, Im not 5yo, but it just seems fishy to me.
It's like he's just trying to Make Bamco look good.

If small profit isn't acceptable, how many games should have been canceled and companies should just go bankrupt now.

Sometimes you also make a nice move to get some popularity despite probably not earning that much. That's not the worst business move ever.

But his amazing market analysis made it clear.
There's no spot for an absurd lot of great rpg in this world.
Coincidentally, its actually partly true.
Where is Chrono Cross, or Valkyrie Profile Silmeria, Suikoden(s) and so on.
In the trash where they belong I guess.

Last edited:

Glio

Oct 27, 2017
Spain
The situation is really very simple. Bandai Namco does not make long-term profits revitalizing Xenosaga, Nintendo either (Why make a Xenosaga remaster in which they share profits with Bandai Namco instead of Xenoblade X?)

It is a situation in which neither of the two have great incentives to invest money. It would only be possible if it were an incredibly cheap remaster.

Hikari

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Elysium
Wonder what Harada means by "some other way" Maybe this was an old report he's talking about and ever since it has been funded or they have another strategy. Maybe I'm looking into things too much but yeah

Korigama

Oct 25, 2017
That's weird, because I heard VLR is where things really get interesting. Either way I plan to play through at least 1 and 2 some point next year.
No, it's just where things get bloated and needlessly convoluted. They went full Metal Gear Solid, and I mean that in the worst way. Ultimately I don't regret having played through to the end of the whole trilogy, its execution very much showing that it was never intended to be one, but I might have stopped at 999 if I knew what I do now.

Taruranto

Oct 26, 2017
I don't blame them, Xenosaga is a very uneven series. if any series needed a remake, it'd be this one, just so it can unify the quality
There is nothing particularly wrong about Xenosaga Ep. 1 except it being slow and having too many cut-scenes (If you don't enjoy them) and the first problem is fixed by playing it on Emulator anyway. Xenosaga Ep. 3 is the conclusion of a trilogy, it isn't mean to be played alone and it doesn't work as stand-alone game.

Xenosaga Ep. 2 is the only bad game in the trilogy, and it's short anyway.

-shadow-

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I've been interested in played these games for ages, but only the second one was released in Europe and never did we ever see anything again. I've been holding hope, but this pretty much crushes it completely. Xenoblade 2 gave me some for obvious reasons.

Oct 25, 2017
Guys can we all organize something to show BAMCO that there's enough of an audience for at least a digital release for a res-bump with minimal QoL touches? Maybe something Operation Rainfall style?

At the end of the day, nothing is truly off the table if enough customers show support.

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Guys can we all organize something to show BAMCO that there's enough of an audience for at least a digital release for a res-bump with minimal QoL touches? Maybe something Operation Rainfall style?

At the end of the day, nothing is truly off the table if enough customers show support.
I think they know there's an audience for that, but they are looking for more than just people who'll buy a rerelease

King Kingo

Banned
Dec 3, 2019
Harada's the General Manager for all of Bandai Namco Entertainment's original intellectual properties. Xenosaga falls under his purview.

If the higher ups concluded that it's not financially feasiable then it's a dead end. The only possible way for Bandai Namco to truly pay attention to the interest for Xenosaga is to buy Xenoblade Chronicles Definitive Edition. That's a cost free market analysis for Bandai Namco that may get them to reconsider.

Shadowninja100

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, as much as I personally enjoy Xenosaga I really don't think it would do that well if it got remastered.

Maybe one day though.

Lord Vatek

Avenger
Jan 18, 2018
Harada's the General Manager for all of Bandai Namco Entertainment's original intellectual properties. Xenosaga falls under his purview.

If the higher ups concluded that it's not financially feasiable then it's a dead end. The only possible way for Bandai Namco to truly pay attention to the interest for Xenosaga is to buy Xenoblade Chronicles Definitive Edition. That's a cost free market analysis for Bandai Namco that may get them to reconsider.
The audience for Xenoblade is not the same as Xenosaga's.