• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

MinusTydus

The Fallen
Jul 28, 2018
Black History Month continues to deliver. Oh dear.

https://www.tmz.com/2019/02/11/katy-perry-blackface-shoes-for-sale-backlash-pulling-from-shelves/

0211-rue-leather-mules-shoes-3.jpg

Katy Perry's shoe that is under scrutiny for resembling blackface is about to be yanked ... TMZ has learned.

Katy's got a whole shoe line for sale at retailers like Dillard's and Walmart -- and a couple of her designs feature what looks similar to blackface ... the "Rue Face Slip On Loafers" and its high-heeled counterpart, "Ora Face Block Heel Sandal."

The "face" shoes have two eyes, a nose and red lips on them, and they come in two different colors ... black and beige. The black one is problematic, because it looks a lot like classic blackface makeup, which the fashion world does not seem to recognize time and again.

0211-rue-leather-mules-shoes-4.jpg

Sources connected to Katy tell us these specific shoes are just part of an entire line of shoes she's designed and released ... and they were never intended to be offensive. However, we're told, "In order to be respectful and sensitive the team is in the process of pulling the shoes."

More at the link. Buy a ticket to a Liam Neeson movie if old.

Dyle

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
jfc these things are always so unbelievably tacky

Deleted member 2474

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
regardless of whether the blackface look was intentional or not, those are atrocious looking shoes either way

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
They are hideous for reasons other than the black face

Cpt-GargameL

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I don't get why people are doing this. I almost feel like it's for the publicity since they know they'll eventually pull whatever it is that's causing controversy.

Tfritz

Oct 25, 2017
i can't believe we managed to one up the gucci blackface sweater in under two weeks

SigmasonicX

Oct 25, 2017
Even if you somehow think the "light skinned" version makes this acceptable, note that the light skinned version is an approximation of an actual skin tone, while the "dark skinned" version is straight up black, not dark brown or anything.

And these are both ugly as hell regardless.

Violence Jack

Drive-in Mutant
Oct 25, 2017
Those things look like they were rejects from Pee-wee's Playhouse.

Some white folks trying real hard to bring blackface back like it's the 1940s again.

marrec

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I'm surprised they weren't pulled for selling zero shoes tbh

Like what's more embarrassing for Perry, her shoes sitting on the shelf for months or admitting to blackface 🤔