• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Like the hat?

Oct 25, 2017
Maybe he just doesn't want to touch people. I hate touching or being touched by strangers. He could be the same.

msdstc

Nov 6, 2017
Maybe there's a part of truth in your version, but I know for a fact there's a part of truth in mine. I have seen many dudes taking pictures with as many hot girls as possible in this exact particular way, only to buff their own self-esteem, signal social status, and be able to brag about it to their male peers afterwards. I've seen that happen in the cosplay community, for example.

I'm sorry there's just no way. If a guy wants to brag they'd brag about having their hands on someone not hovering above them.

Monkey D.

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
People need to leave him alone. It feels like some lowlifes cant find anything to make him look bad so they try this saying he is weird not touching these women. But if he did people would say ,, HEY LOOK WHERE HE IS HOLDING HER"

F THIS! Looking at the thread luckly people have common sense in here.

I wont go on twitter because iam sure they already try to make him look bad.

Delphine

Fen'Harel Enansal
Administrator
Mar 30, 2018
France
I'm sorry there's just no way. If a guy wants to brag they'd brag about having their hands on someone not hovering above them.

The mere fact of having a picture taken with them is enough to brag, no need for contact to happen. Again, I've seen it happen, but feel free to dismiss my words if it doesn't fit your personal opinion.

Thorn

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This thread has more posts than Trump admitting he'd take foreign intel on his political rivals.

TheMan

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, I'm firmly in the awkward camp. I mean if he doesn't want to completely put his arm around the person then do a different pose or something.

That said, he's having a career resurgence in hollywood and is currently an internet darling while we...are posting on a video game message board. K wins.

Last edited:

sappyday

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Hopefully this doesn't lead to where just putting your hand on someone else during a photo becomes controversial
What if someone doesn't like to be touched though? Does taking a picture with someone automatically mean you're okay with them touching you? I don't think it has to.

Say it before the photo is taken?

J2C

Oct 26, 2017
Uh... the first part of your post is fully wrong.

The whole reason it was mocked was because it was seen as awkward. The same reasons nerds were mocked for being virgins.

Now, I can see you trying to shift said mockery to something more in line with attacking misogyny - like attacking self-proclaimed incels & nice guys today - but this was never those. There was nothing behind it besides, as ever, shaming people for not being confident.

Fully agreed. Its revisionist to suggest the hover hand joke was anything but making fun of/shaming "awkward virigins". There was nothing progressive behind its spirit.

smurfx

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
could be that he is just a germaphobe and doesn't want to touch random people if he doesn't have to.

Einchy

Oct 25, 2017
If a person comes up to me and asks me if they can take a picture with me, if they have a problem with me touching their shoulder I'd expect them to tell me, but whatever. Your second point, fair enough.

As for your third point, I'd say the difference is that hover handing looks ridiculous, and the alternatives don't.
Yeah, it's a weird thing to ask someone to take a picture with them, you hold on to their back (all the women are doing that it Keanu in the pictures) but then also not be okay with him touching you back. That'd be a pretty crazy situation.

When you take pictures with people, it's a given that they're going to touch your shoulder or something. It's the go to pose for picture taking, so if you don't want that, then say so when you asked for the picture to begin with.

It's not fair to put the onus on the person that's already doing a favor to the fan.

Oct 28, 2017
The mere fact of having a picture taken with them is enough to brag, no need for contact to happen. Again, I've seen it happen, but feel free to dismiss my words if it doesn't fit your personal opinion.

Hover hand is a well-known meme from like 10 years ago. It quite literally grew out of a series of awkward pictures of nerds posing with actresses at comic-con. You can spin it however you like, but the original meme was about mocking nerds.

Einchy

Oct 25, 2017
Hover hand is a well-known meme from like 10 years ago. It quite literally grew out of a series of awkward pictures of nerds posing with actresses at comic-con. You can spin it however you like, but the original meme was about mocking nerds.
This picture was, like, the king of hover hand back in the day.

bCK24.jpg

Like you said, it was always about making fun of nerds for not being confident enough to touch a pretty woman. I don't know where that poster gets that it was about guys bragging about being next to women.

ChippyTurtle

Banned
Oct 13, 2018
guess ill chime in to say "i dont care"

or is that not allowed? i dunno, but tbh i dont care how Keanu Reeves takes photos as long as no one is complaining afterwards. (which i guess might explain the hover hands...)

Feep

Lead Designer, Iridium Studios
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
This thread has more posts than Trump admitting he'd take foreign intel on his political rivals.
He has literally done that dozens of times. Right on motherfucking national TV during the election, you listening, Russia, give me those E-mails?

Oct 25, 2017
usually i ask the people i'm taking pictures with what sort of pose we should do

but usually they answer "idk" and so it's back to the same old classic "arm on the shoulder" pose

one day i'll meet someone to take quasi-Jojo pose photos with v_v

TAJ

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
This picture was, like, the king of hover hand back in the day.

bCK24.jpg

Like you said, it was always about making fun of nerds for not being confident enough to touch a pretty woman. I don't know where that poster gets that it was about guys bragging about being next to women.

That picture reminds me of the time that I woke up to an extremely attractive girl straddling me (semi-clothed) and reflexively (and near-frantically) slid out from under her.

TAJ

Banned
Oct 28, 2017

It was the morning after a sort of impromptu sleepover with a bunch of friends and friends of friends in someone elses's house.
It was just an awkward day and I was internally facepalming the whole time. We ended up having really good sex about four months later.

Vern

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Better not to assume you have permission to touch someone than to do it anyway and make them feel uncomfortable.

Not saying you are wrong but in all these photos the women are pretty much wrapped around him. It's highly doubtful that they'd be offended if he put his arm around them. I'd bet most of them didn't ask if they could touch him before their photos.

Dice

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Not saying you are wrong but in all these photos the women are pretty much wrapped around him. It's highly doubtful that they'd be offended if he put his arm around them. I'd bet most of them didn't ask if they could touch him before their photos.

Yeah. The problem is groping because of a wandering hand or folks getting overly familiar.

While I acknowledge a hand on shoulder as "familiar" and friendly I don't think I'd really read too much into it, especially for a single photo.

But still, how interesting for Keanu! Heh

RestEerie

Banned
Aug 20, 2018
Proves that Keanu is a mutant.

Think about it. He doesn't age. He can't touch nobody. He is basically our universe's Apocalypse + Rogue

ZackieChan

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
You should make a thread. We can't let this stand.

RestEerie

Banned
Aug 20, 2018
It was the morning after a sort of impromptu sleepover with a bunch of friends and friends of friends in someone elses's house.
It was just an awkward day and I was internally facepalming the whole time. We ended up having really good sex about four months later.

having good sex for four months or having good sex after meeting up again four months from then?