• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Oct 25, 2017
Toronto, ON
I doubt it's about being afraid of being "me too'd". Just respecting personal space, plus, imagine how many strangers must come up to him to chat and take a picture. I'm not tryin' to touch a legion of potentially stank randos of unknown origin.

The Albatross

Oct 25, 2017
Eh, I don't understand why this is bad. Like, Keanu probably doesn't want to touch people he doesn't know intimately. That's pretty normal to me, and if you're a big movie star it seems understandable.

Funny how things change. If you remember, 10 years ago 'hoverhand' was a massive joke people pointed toward as a way to shame some men for being awkward around women. It was played off like they wanted to appear to have intimacy without wanting the woman to know or consent. Keanu is being praised for it, today.

Yeah, 10 years ago Joe Biden was Diamond Joe, while Mitt Romney was bizarre ass robot nerd binders full of women Mitt.

Turns out, Joe might have been trying to cop a feel, while Mitt was trying to put women in his administration.. . though he's still a bizarre ass robot nerd.

HStallion

Oct 25, 2017
He doesn't want to drain these poor innocents of their life force so of course he won't chance touching them and leaving nothing but a desiccated mummy in his wake.

Delphine

Fen'Harel Enansal
Administrator
Mar 30, 2018
France
is he really? i play along and he certainly seems like a cool guy but i honestly do not see it

He absolutely was dubbed as such in the 90s, and was elected 1994's sexiest man alive. He was hugely popular in the LGBT community as well.
I feel like you guys either forgot, weren't paying attention, or weren't born, but Keanu's sex appeal was huge, and it still is nowadays even though more lowkey.

Burly

Oct 25, 2017
Got him.
02440156c6b550b5e9b3d75e9b2f8748.jpg

It's his co-star

TAJ

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
There's a difference between hover handing because you're being respectful and hover handing because you're awkward.

I don't think there is.
My theory is that hoverhanders want to take a picture like normal people but also assume that noone wants to be touched by them. They're all trying to be respectful, but their idea of respectful is warped by their awkwardness. Or they realize at the last second what they're about to do and pull back a little awkwardly.

The Albatross

Oct 25, 2017
He absolutely was dubbed as such in the 90s, and was elected 1994's sexiest man alive. He was hugely popular in the LGBT community as well.
I feel like you guys either forgot, weren't paying attention, or weren't born, but Keanu's sex appeal was huge, and it still is nowadays even though more lowkey.

There was a period in Keanu's stardom where he was considered pretty lame, probably right after 'Sexiest Man Alive,' which was a title that was usually given to someone when they were on the decline of their sex symbol status... Kinda like getting on the cover of Madden for a long time. Like, you've just reached your apex of sexiness, started to decline, and now People magazine is just getting in on it... Richard Gere, Nick Nolte, etc. When the Matrix became a huge hit there was some surprise about it, and then IIRC, he didn't really do anything really relevant for a long time until JOhn wick. Even when JOhn Wick came out, it was like "Oh... Keanu Reeves...?"

I'm quintessential millennial (1984) and I always felt like ... there was something a little ironic to Keanu Reeves fandom even back then. Speed was peak summer blockbuster for me at 10, 11 years old, but even then Speed and especially Speed 2 felt like you liked it because of how ridiculous it was. Point Break was too early for me, but when I got into Point Break in college, it was like... ironic... Surfers who solve crime, it was so 90s

Last edited:

jaekeem

Oct 27, 2017
Given how many sleazy celebs are out there, I see 0 problem with Keanu doing that

And for all we know he just might not like holding strangers too closely

RedMercury

Blue Venus
Dec 24, 2017
Dolly Parton is a legit national treasure, I would kill to give her a big ol' hug, but it's a good thing he does what he does, maybe he just doesn't want to ask people if he can touch them so he plays it safe, nothing wrong with that.
Hand on shoulder works. Only a problem if it's skin contact (e.g. dress, tank top, etc.) and guy starts being overly touchy there
Eh with strangers it's polite to just ask first. Like it's probably okay with a lot if not most people but it doesn't hurt to ask because you never know.

Burly

Oct 25, 2017
Whats her name? I think thats just a fan.

You're right. The title on google image was "Ruby Rose joins John Wick co-star Keanu Reeves for dinner." so I just assumed it was her. The article says it was just some lady at the diner.

https://www./tvshowbiz/article-3411...nt-continue-film-upcoming-thriller-flick.html

Last edited:

Zelenogorsk

Banned
Mar 1, 2018
As a person who does not like being touched, he gets my respect for this. Hover hand is the way to go.

BLEEN

Oct 27, 2017
The difference of treatment of hover hand in the case of Keanu compared to the cases of nerds 10 years ago is because not the same dynamics are at play in both cases. Nerdy hover hands from 10 years ago were majorly made by men who wanted to pretend they were close to a girl, generally cute one fitting social standards, without being rejected by her nor asking for her consent, in order to brag about it later on.
Keanu on the other hand, is a sex symbol and has been since like the start of his career, and he knows this very well and has developed techniques around that in order to be able to live his life relatively normally. His hover hand is his way of protecting himself, his privacy, of setting boundaries with his fans. He has been a very private man, and still is, and that's his way of setting his personal space. He does that with every women regardless of their beauty fitting the social standard or not. He's very skilled at firmly blocking flirting attempts being made towards him, in a respectful manner, probably because he's had a lifetime of those coming his way and had to learn how to deal with them.

This interview really paints a good picture about it:

Yep. Read, peeps.

KillLaCam

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Seoul
The hover hand is so weird to me. If I was a celebrity I'd just not go for anything that looks like an embrace. Then the hover hand will never be nessicary. Definitely nothing wrong with it though.

Its still a 18 trillion times better than what alot of celebrities do.

Last edited:

RedMercury

Blue Venus
Dec 24, 2017
Hahaha I can't tell if most of you are kidding, but hover handing is still ridiculous. If you're posing in a picture with someone, touching their shoulder is a normal, acceptable pose.
What if someone doesn't like to be touched though? Does taking a picture with someone automatically mean you're okay with them touching you? I don't think it has to.