• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Oct 27, 2017
Keanu Reeves clearly didn't know what he was getting himself into.

Plans for the star of "John Wick 3" to make a guest appearance in the middle of Microsoft's Xbox press conference during the annual E3 show in LA this week was a closely held secret. Xbox head Phil Spencer told Variety that a stand-in delivered his lines during rehearsals and a codename was used to reference him in conversations. His first time at the Microsoft Theater was the morning of his surprise appearance. Reeves green room was right next to Spencer's.

"I was talking to him before he went out and I was trying to explain that this isn't going to be like another corporate gig," Spencer told Variety. "I said, 'You're going to go out there and the fans are going to go crazy.' And he's like, 'Oh, that's cool.'"

Spencer said Reeves spent his time in the green room checking out "Cyberpunk 2077."

"He was in there with CD Projekt Red looking at the build of the game and stuff and then he just went out."

It was immediately obvious that the reaction to his appearance on stage sort of startled Reeves. Fans jumped to their feet screaming.

"I think he was kind of blown away by the response," Spencer said. "And I loved how we just wallowed in it. and then when he came back off he was just like, 'wow.'"

At one moment during his short time on stage, Reeves clearly struggling to get through his lines over the tumult was interrupted by someone in the audience.

A few moments later, sort of laughing, Reeves asked the crowd to let him get through his lines. "Alright, alright, alright, I got to finish this!" It seemed a genuine moment for Reeves and the audience.

"They were so nice to him and everything, he was really blown away, which I thought was cool," Spencer said.

It was the off-kilter, slightly taken aback appearance of Reeves that stole the show.

And Spencer said he doesn't mind that a bit.

"I loved it," Spencer said. "When I think about it, at the root of all of it, when we're here we want to entertain people, right? I think it's easy for us to get too much strategery in our heads. And to start thinking about what was our ratio of video to talking heads to PC games, Xbox games. Is this going to force somebody to buy a Scarlet or sign up for blah, blah, blah. But in the end, I want to put on an entertaining show where there's great content.

"I didn't know how it was going to go. It was actually CD Projekt Red's that wanted us to go do this and we have a great relationship with those guys. But you know, I've seen my fair share of celebrity endorsements on stage at E3 not actually land that well. Obviously, when we saw how he was portrayed in the game, it was like, OK, it's very authentic."

miserable

Oct 27, 2017
giphy.gif

Demacabre

Nov 20, 2017
Keanu Reeves is also a great guy in person from the few people I know who had bumped into him. Personable, grateful, and humble. I am really happy he is seeing a surge in his career now.

Prine

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
One of my favourite moments of e3. ever. He just came off well without the pretentiousness you usually expect from celeb endorsements. His walk to the stage was legendary, he actually stayed back for a few seconds to take it all in lol

Admiral Woofington

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Keanu is my main guy I love him to death. I love seeing all the stories and youtube videos of people too awkward to approach him and he goes to them even though he himself is a little awkward.

I was ready to jump at those in here saying he didn't sound genuine. I'll teleport behind you nothing personnel motherfuckers.

Kewlmyc

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
He's probably the closest I have to a celebrity role model. Dude's a legit good person.

dosh

Oct 25, 2017
I would be completely un-surprised if he had no idea what high regard the internet has for him.

Keanu is a treasure
Some people juste can't get their head around the concept of being loved.

I met Scott Campbell (concept designer for Psychonaut back in the day, and awesome dude who does the Great Showdowns) and he genuinely wouldn't believe me when I told him that every single artist I know are in love with his work and own at least one of his books.

He was super gracious about it, which made me love him even more.

RTX ON

Alt Account
Banned
Mar 25, 2019
Keanu Reeves thought to have been "blown away" says Phil Spencer should be the title.

Hierophant

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Sydney
Expect more big celebrity announcements for this game lol
Lady Gaga announcement is right around the corner and if you've played the original or read the source books you already know who she's playing

DoubleTake

Oct 25, 2017
Remember when people would knock Keanu in acting roles for basically just being Keanu? Well now we love him for it. Keep being Keanu as fuck, Keanu.

Deleted member 925

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Expect more big celebrity announcements for this game lol
Lady Gaga announcement is right around the corner and if you've played the original or read the source books you already know who she's playing

That would be extremely disappointing and her queer fans wouldn't approve. There would be massive backlash.

Scrub Jay

Nov 28, 2017
I love how in the last 15 years Keanu has gone from a mostly disliked wooden actor to an overwhelmingly loved actor and overall nice guy. Keep up the good work man even though you'll never read this.

Jar0d

Banned
Jun 11, 2019
Keanu Reeves is also a great guy in person from the few people I know who had bumped into him. Personable, grateful, and humble. I am really happy he is seeing a surge in his career now.

Can confirm. I met him in the fucking metro once, in London. I didn't talk to him personally, but he did talk with an old grumpy woman. It was hilarious, she didn't know who he was.