• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Deleted member 51691

User requested account closure
Banned
Jan 6, 2019
What I don't get is why "Unreal Engine 5" would be revealed in a consumer-facing way. Wouldn't it make more sense to reveal it to developers at GDC or something?

Okabe

Is Sometimes A Good Bean
Aug 24, 2018
What I don't get is why "Unreal Engine 5" would be revealed in a consumer-facing way. Wouldn't it make more sense to reveal it to developers at GDC or something?

Because it's

JvqU9R.gif

Wait for it

konami.jpg

Unreal

PiercingActiveBurro-size_restricted.gif

JB2448

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Florida
Obviously it's Mother 3. This is the "more than a miracle" that NateDrake has referred to. The prophecy has been foretold.

Oct 25, 2017
I imagine that's what Epic wants to show off tomorrow.

Fair enough, just seems odd. Like, can't imagine what it could be that would be worth hyping up that we haven't heard about yet, unless there are some games attached to that are showing off the tech.

So wtf is it then because half are convinced it's UE5 and the other half aren't lol this is a rollercoaster.

Yeah who knows, I'm glad we'll know tomorrow and not a month from now. If you take all the little hints at face value it could be anything.

DemiOrpheus

Banned
May 9, 2020
An engine reveal just seems too technical to warrant this much hype and build up

Maybe if a big game using it was announced at the same time

DopeyFish

Oct 25, 2017
Where are these hints from?

My guess: Maybe it will be a reveal of Unreal Engine 5 with gameplay premiere from a decent 3rd party game that MS has some exclusivity too.

Seems like big enough. impacts all the industry, future tech, it could make porting certain games to next gen easier, affect MS directly, everyone is excited (even developers)

Edit: Ok I am revising it a bit Unreal Engine 5 reveal that shows a demo of the next Batman game and at the end they say it we just saw real time next gen graphics.
shinobi - next gen
jeff grubb -future tech
klobrille -not directly xbox/ps5 related
klobrille -indirectly impacts xbox studios (unreal is used by over half the studios)
-impacts industry as a whole (implied through the other hints)
NateDrake/Jahranimo -everyone will be excited (will should have been *should*)
Jahranimo -something about the implications

(side note: Jahranimo is not an insider, Natedrake is unknown (to me), but rest have connections for sure)

Bakura

Oct 26, 2017
shinobi - next gen
jeff grubb -future tech
klobrille -not directly xbox/ps5 related
klobrille -indirectly impacts xbox studios (unreal is used by over half the studios)
-impacts industry as a whole (implied through the other hints)
NateDrake/Jahranimo -everyone will be excited (will should have been *should*)
Jahranimo -something about the implications

(side note: Jahranimo is not an insider, Natedrake is unknown (to me), but rest have connections for sure)
not sure if this is also related to the event

Snake__

Jan 8, 2020
Unreal Engine would be a HUGE let down, makes no sense unless it includes multiple real game reveals

Sotonian

Oct 25, 2017
A new engine is not going to excite people, going to be a huge disappointment given how much hype has been thrown at this

May 16, 2018
Is there concrete evidence pointing to this being Unreal 5 or are people just deducing it from piecing together everything we know

TheZynster

Oct 26, 2017
Ok so Jeff Grubb is de-hyping the reveal. I'm officially throttling back to 85%.

Yup, and Jeff knew about the birdman announcement.

A UE5 showcase is just insanely meh to me.....unless it dives insanely deep into new games. But it being used on older or already released games to show what kind of patches to expect on XSX......yes, its cool......but would definitely be along the Jeff lines of for sure not E3 worthy.

But the way Geoff's hyping it, man so many are going to be disappointed then lol and Tony Hawk 1+2 remaster was the bigger announcement honestly in terms of gaming.

Engine = more important and industry wide application is great
As for the actual gaming/consumer side = meh

NabiscoFelt

One Winged Slayer
Aug 15, 2019
I'm not sure an engine is exactly hype worthy at the consumer level, but it is definitely important and has industry wide implications. It honestly fits the bill

PLASTICA-MAN

Oct 26, 2017
Is there concrete evidence pointing to this being Unreal 5 or are people just deducing it from piecing together everything we know

Yup, and Jeff knew about the birdman announcement.

A UE5 showcase is just insanely meh to me.....unless it dives insanely deep into new games. But it being used on older or already released games to show what kind of patches to expect on XSX......yes, its cool......but would definitely be along the Jeff lines of for sure not E3 worthy.

But the way Geoff's hyping it, man so many are going to be disappointed then lol and Tony Hawk 1+2 remaster was the bigger announcement honestly in terms of gaming.

Engine = more important and industry wide application is great
As for the actual gaming/consumer side = meh

There will never be a Unreal Engine 5, unless in a century. I explained why and 100% sure of it, cus it is a fact. Just forget the idea.

Edit:

I'd love to see a UE5 but if they showcase it it will either look amazing but not actually run on console hardware or it will look barely any better than UE4, which is always the case in the beginning for a new UE version.

The only way to make an UE5 announcement exciting is to have an actual game that goes along with it to show it off. Otherwise meh.

LMAO it seems some are ignoring my posts by concidence or on purpose.

Edit: LMAO I think I'll make the list bigger. XD

UE5 reveal with Unreal remake.

Because I like it when two birds get hit with the same stone -

What if tomorrow's announcement is a remaster of Mafia II in Unreal Engine 5?

Last edited:

noyram23

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
How many times will Geoff disappoint you till you learn lol

perhaps a return of Steam machines? Fits in with all the discussions AND Alienware's tweet. They were one of the first with Steam machines last time around.
Steam machine are probably bottom of the barrel when it comes to hype in Era, I rather get an engine announcement or something. PC peeps prefers building out their own, console peeps don't care.

gabdeg

Oct 26, 2017
🐝
I'd love to see a UE5 but if they showcase it it will either look amazing but not actually run on console hardware or it will look barely any better than UE4, which is always the case in the beginning for a new UE version.

MaulerX

Oct 30, 2017
The only way to make an UE5 announcement exciting is to have an actual game that goes along with it to show it off. Otherwise meh.

RoninStrife

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Definitely puts things in perspective and lowers the hype level for whatever is happening tomorrow.

BUT at the same time, maybe this is a better system than stuffing all announcements into a 2-day span, therefore cannibalizing any chance mid-level and independent game studios have of holding the spotlight.
I agree with this.

piratepwnsninja

Lead Game Designer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Definitely puts things in perspective and lowers the hype level for whatever is happening tomorrow.

BUT at the same time, maybe this is a better system than stuffing all announcements into a 2-day span, therefore cannibalizing any chance mid-level and independent game studios have of holding the spotlight.

As someone who gets really jazzed about E3 time, I actually prefer it for this reason, too. So many interesting, smaller titles that can only afford to get 3 seconds in a hype reel for a major presser are lost in the lights and noise of the big AAA games. And I get it, most consumers want the big AAA games. I want both without having to scour to find information on the smaller stuff.

What's really lost, and this is major, are the opportunities for smaller indie studios to show their games to potential publishers, since everyone is in one place.

Status
Not open for further replies.