• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Deleted member 10737

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
While the franchise has been dormant for several years, series producer Keisuke Kikuchi has expressed interest in bringing a new entry to Switch. Kikuchi currently has his hands full with the upcoming Fairy Tail RPG, but told Nintendo Everything that he'd be open to revisiting Koei Tecmo's horror IP.
"Yeah, I do want to make a Fatal Frame on Switch," Kikuchi said. "I think it'd be a ton of fun to play with the console in handheld mode and moving all around."
[...]
He's "very happy" that he's often asked about Fatal Frame as well.

scare_crow

Oct 28, 2017
Like the Okami thread, I don't really think someone saying, "yeah, it'd be cool to make another one." is a hot scoop.

Hate

Oct 26, 2017
Port maiden to Switch first.

It needed more exposure and it'll be a shame if it gets stuck on the Wii U.

OP
OP

Deleted member 10737

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Like the Okami thread, I don't really think someone saying, "yeah, it'd be cool to make another one." is a hot scoop.
i think the difference is kamiya is not in a position to make an okami sequel even if he wanted to, that's not the case here. Kikuchi has been the producer on every single FF game (including remakes and spin-offs), and they even made a game on the Wii U. localization shenanigans aside, nintendo has funded and published 4 games in the series despite non of them being a hit. so this makes it more a matter of when, not if.

Luminaire

Oct 25, 2017
Based on how Nintendo has handled the entries since they got co-ownership of the IP, I've little faith.

Oct 26, 2017
Yeah I feel like with KT's massive support, ports of Fatal Frame 5 and the eventual Fatal Frame 6 are inevitable at this rate. I mean WE GOT FF5 ON WII U OF ALL THINGS! :P

I'll still never figure out how Nintendo bagged Fatal Frame like this. They don't seem to own it, but they co-own Spirit Camera which is an official spin-off. It's never been made clear what Nintendo's role in ownership is.

Nairume

SaGa Sage
Oct 25, 2017
They don't seem to own it, but they co-own Spirit Camera which is an official spin-off. It's never been made clear what Nintendo's role in ownership is.
At some point between Project Zero 2 Wii and 5, they at least got joint trademark rights to the series.

Which, hilariously, the trademarks on PZ2Wii's box was what people previously used to debunk Nintendo's ownership, despite the timing of everything meaning the box was probably printed before whatever deal happened.

Deleted member 2793

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Nintendo doesn't co-own the trademark/IP. Fatal Frame (Project Zero) is still fully under Koei Tecmo's name.

What Nintendo owns are individual games. Nintendo owns Fatal Frame 2 Remake, Fatal Frame 4 and Fatal Frame 5. They also own the Spirit Camera IP. All these trademarks are under Nintendo's name.

They probably have or had a deal to general franchise rights and exclusivity, outside of trademark stuff. But we don't really know it.

OP
OP

Deleted member 10737

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Nintendo doesn't co-own the trademark/IP. Fatal Frame (Project Zero) is still fully under Koei Tecmo's name.

What Nintendo owns are individual games. Nintendo owns Fatal Frame 2 Remake, Fatal Frame 4 and Fatal Frame 5. They also own the Spirit Camera IP. All these trademarks are under Nintendo's name.

They probably have or had a deal to general franchise rights and exclusivity, outside of trademark stuff. But we don't really know it.
oh, then i guess there's misinformation on the internet. wikipedia says they co-own the IP too :/

Deleted member 2793

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This isn't true as of PZ5's European release, where they stopped noting that KT had sole ownership of the trademark as they had with previous games.
The japanese trademark for Project Zero is only under Koei Tecmo's name.

Edit: Here is the Zero trademark. Owner is Koei Tecmo
Di4PlW7.png

Last edited:

Manggei

Oct 28, 2017
I think it's a shame that it is not already in the making. I somehow always thought, Fatal Frame would be started working on quite early in the Switch's life cycle, being announced somewhere in the middle and released a few months after. Like Astral Chain. Same is true for Pikmin. Oh well...

Brhoom

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Kuwait
Fatal frame 4 was a mess.

The series has potential but needs some serious modernization

4 was ok, It had amazing moments and some of the best scares in the series.

5 was the worst by far, not scary, bad pacing and all-around boring.

They need fixed camera angles back, most of the jump scares worked because of it. Having the camera controlled by you means in order to guarantee a scare they need to play a cutscene where it would happen thereby ruing the surprise

60fps

Banned
Dec 18, 2017
Port maiden to Switch first.

It needed more exposure and it'll be a shame if it gets stuck on the Wii U.
Yes please! Fantastic game (minus the forced use of Wii U tablet).

I think it's a shame that it is not already in the making. I somehow always thought, Fatal Frame would be started working on quite early in the Switch's life cycle, being announced somewhere in the middle and released a few months after. Like Astral Chain. Same is true for Pikmin. Oh well...
Yeah.

Boiled Goose

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
4 was ok, It had amazing moments and some of the best scares in the series.

5 was the worst by far, not scary, bad pacing and all-around boring.

They need fixed camera angles back, most of the jump scares worked because of it. Having the camera controlled by you means in order to guarantee a scare they need to play a cutscene where it would happen thereby ruing the surprise

I don't remember if what I played was 4 or 5, but the game design was absolutely atrocious. Constant random cutscene interruptions for terrible tutorials.

Dark Cloud

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It's not gonna come until very late Switch life if Nintendo wants it which I assume they would.

Lady Justice

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
I would so love a collection of the Nintendo Fatal Frames for Switch and a sequel would amazing.
I liked for an just recently replayed it a bit.
I still need to play 5, which is still sealed in it's pretty Box 🙈

mudai

Oct 27, 2017
Would definitely love to see the Fatal Frame series return. Also, get Tsuki Amano to do the theme song again. Can't be a Fatal Frame game without her at this point.

Oct 25, 2017
Based on how Nintendo has handled the entries since they got co-ownership of the IP, I've little faith.
They don't co-own the development of Fatal Frame but they co-own the publishing rights. So if they feel like they want to see what's happening for the final release they'll step in, but from my understanding they don't greenlight these games. Koei Tecmo does.

Semajer

Oct 27, 2017
That's good news. I was afraid that they had gotten tired of the series. I imagine we'll see a port of FF5 next year, and a FF6 in time for the 20th anniversary. In my dreams they'll do HD ports of all the old games in the series with Fatal difficulty and new ghosts like the first two games on Xbox.

Also it kills me how many people still think that Nintendo own the IP. That stupid sourceless story from a few years ago really did a number on discussion of this series.

Mars People

Comics Council 2020
Oct 25, 2017
It would be nice if we could get a remastered collection of 1-3 for PC and the modern consoles.

MrT-Tar

One Winged Slayer
Nov 2, 2017
I've only played 2R and 5 so far (1-3 on PSN are in my backlog), but I love the series so far.

5 had its flaws, such as heavy area repitition and short range combat not doing enough damage. However, I still thoroughly enjoyed it

Sumio Mondo

Oct 25, 2017
United Kingdom
Port the 2 Remake (which only came out in Japan and EU territories I think) and 4 (which was Japan only) first, then do 6.

A Fatal Frame Collection on Switch would be awesome.

Kouriozan

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, even if it's super niche, Nintendo keep being OK about making them, it's happening.
What would be nice is a 4 remaster since it never left Japan.

Naga

Alt account
Banned
Aug 29, 2019
That's awesome, and I hope journalists keep asking KT about that franchise.
Kikuchi has been pretty busy with Gust projects since the last Fatal Frame, didn't know he was on Fairy Tail now.

5 was good, I wouldn't mind a port. Same for 4 if we get a western release out of it.