• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Deleted member 10737

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
nintendoeverything.com

Producer Keisuke Kikuchi talks Fatal Frame again, comments on the possibility of Switch remasters

With the lack of Fatal Frame games in recent years, fans have been very much anticipating a new entry. We asked series producer Keisuke Kikuchi about the possibility of the franchise appearing on Switch a few months ago, and while he seemed potentially interested, no promises were made. We saw...

When we spoke last at Tokyo Game Show, you expressed interest in a Fatal Frame game on Nintendo Switch in the future. We received overwhelmingly positive response from fans, showing their strong support. So I'm happy to inform you that many Nintendo fans are eagerly awaiting a new entry, whenever that may be.

Actually, your article was even translated back into Japanese – it got picked up across various Japanese sites with headlines stating, "Fatal Frame might be coming back!" and it was really big news for a while.
Wow, I sure hope we didn't put you in a tough position…

No, no. It's just that even though I have these hopes, this is a series that Nintendo publishes for us and I only handle the development. So even if I were to say I want to make another game, that doesn't necessarily mean that's what will happen.
Many western fans would like to know if we could see remasters of games like Fatal Frame 2 and 4, possibly released on Switch, because 4 never released outside of Japan and the remake of 2 only released in Japan and Europe – not North America – so fans are really clamoring for those remasters. Is there any hope?

So I have to admit there is some distance between my personal feelings and ambitions and the feasibility of such projects. Obviously the Hollywood movie is in production and will make it to the western markets, so obviously I'd personally like to bring to our audience not just the movie, but also the games that can accompany it.

As for Fatal Frame 2 and 4, Nintendo handles the publishing rights, so we don't exactly have a say in that matter. Another factor would be is that I'm basically overseeing the Gust brand at this moment, and to secure production lines and team members, in the short-term it would also be very difficult, but in the long run I've never really given up the idea. So in the short-term it's not exactly realistic at the moment.

previous thread:
www.resetera.com

Keisuke Kikuchi (Fatal Frame series producer) interested in making a new entry for Switch

https://nintendoeverything.com/new-fatal-frame-nintendo-switch/

giphy.gif

OP
OP

Deleted member 10737

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

Deleted member 11413

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
silent hill is apparently coming back, same can't be said for fatal frame :(

the tone of interview makes me feel like nintendo aren't interested in the series anymore, and without them it's dead.
I thought those Silent Hill rumors were squashed?

Eh, Nintendo will come back to the series, I'm confident in that. Switch success and broad audience means there will be people to buy a Nintendo published horror title.
But Silent Hill still have pachinko vs the nothingness that is Fatal Frame.

Fatal Frame doesn't even get to be meme'd back into existence.
It's been way longer since the last Silent Hill than it has been since the last Fatal Frame. Also Nintendo still makes games. Konami makes retro collections and occasionally farts out a random small scale game or two.

Atolm

Oct 25, 2017
Well, when there's interest from producers and directors, there's hope. I figured Nintendo would own the rights for 4 and 5, but not 2.

Brhoom

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Kuwait
If the series come back I hope they learn from their mistakes with FF5

A great review on Fatal Frame 5

Deleted member 11413

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Well, when there's interest from producers and directors, there's hope. I figured Nintendo would own the rights for 4 and 5, but not 2.
The remake of two. But also Nintendo has ownership of the IP now, I doubt they could even port the PS2/Xbox games elsewhere without Nintendo's involvement. Emulated re-releases seem fine, as they are all up on PSN for PS3, but beyond that it seems like Nintendo's involvement is necessary.

Deleted member 11413

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
And 5 deserves more exposure on the Switch. When it came out Wii U was even deader than at launch.
Yeah a combo pack of 4 and 5 for Switch would be cool. A new game would be better, obviously. It's still really dumb that NoA did digital only for Fatal Frame 5. They didnt have anything else to put out at the time, and even Devil's Third got a retail release!

Atolm

Oct 25, 2017
Heh, Fatal Frame 5 and Xeno X LEs (EU) were pretty much my last retail purchases.

JCal

Oct 27, 2017
Los Alfheim
I just want a Fatal Frame 5 port. Do it, Nintendo. January 2021, following in January 2020's footsteps (aka niche January).

Chrono

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 25, 2017
Maybe this time we'll actually get a physical release in NA.

Fatal Frame V. :(

Aostia82

Oct 27, 2017
Well the US never got the Wii remake of two and the west in general never got 4. There is a good fan translation of 4 but that's not exactly mainstream or convenient for everyone.

you are right
I hai 2 remake PAL and played the imported japanese fourth episode with english patch
I played 5 too obviously and I am hungry for a new one

MrT-Tar

One Winged Slayer
Nov 2, 2017
I'm certain we'll get a new Project Zero/Fatal Frame before the end of the Switch's lifespan, I'm just unsure of when and the budget involved.

Fingers crossed that this time it sells well too.

Oregano

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Weird that Nintendo would lose interest considering 5 did about as well as the other games despite being on Wii U.

cw_sasuke

Oct 27, 2017
FF is gonna come to Switch at some point - some people here are severely underestimating how long the Switch will be around.
Its just not a priority or something they need to go after right now. Nintendo is gonna keep expanding their back-catalog on Switch as times go on.

Oregano

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
That's not a lot anyway

Sure but they were happy to do three games in a row and all hit similar levels of sales.

Maybe it's because of the KT re-org, as Kikuchi says it would probably cost more to get a team together so maybe that's what killed the interest.

They should at least port Maiden of Black Water though.

Principate

Oct 31, 2017
Seems a bit weird for there to be talk of a hollywood movie but no game. Surely that's the prime time opportunity to get a game prepped for, if that movie ever see's the light of day.

Naga

Alt account
Banned
Aug 29, 2019
Good interview.
Makes sense that if a new game happens, Kikuchi would only be a supervisor this time around too.
Weird that Nintendo would lose interest considering 5 did about as well as the other games despite being on Wii U.
NOA hates Fatal Frame, so it probably doesn't help.
Seems a bit weird for there to be talk of a hollywood movie but no game. Surely that's the prime time opportunity to get a game prepped for, if that movie ever see's the light of day.
Well, they're not going to announce a game in a random western interview if that's being prepped.
5 was announced at the same time as the new Japanese movie got a trailer if I remember well.

justiceiro

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Well, I bet Nintendo will fund another entry eventually, they funded Bayonetta 3.

But wait, there is a Hollywood movie happening?

¡Hip Hop!

Nov 9, 2017
Not having a game in an active development to capitalize on an upcoming movie is a missed opportunity.

OP
OP

Deleted member 10737

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
But wait, there is a Hollywood movie happening?
www.resetera.com

Christophe Gans working on Silent Hill and Fatal Frame/Project Zero film adaptations

So, Christophe Gans was just interviewed by French site Allocine and casually dropped the fact that he is working on a new Silent Hill film adaptation and also a Fatal Frame film adaptation via Rely on Horror and Allocine: The interview in French can be read here. Do remember that Christophe...

fiendcode

Oct 26, 2017
I'm surprised a FF5 conversion at least isn't in dev. I guess this is the result of Kikuchi leaving Team Ninja for Gust.

Hayeya

Oct 29, 2017
Canada
Did nintendo purchase the IP from tecmo? Can someone remind me please.

If yes, why in the hell did they do it and bury this franchise?

fiendcode

Oct 26, 2017
Nintendo didn't buy the IP, they just licensed it. This is a Bayonetta or Tetris situation. Actually Nintendo does this now and then in Japan with lots of properties (Culdcept, Momortaro Dentestu, Glory of Heracles, Devil's Third, etc).