• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Dalek

Oct 25, 2017
https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...orn-pop-on-cereal-box/?utm_term=.e8bdc06d3a6d

Kelloggs-Apology-Corn-Pops-Racism-Saladin-Ahmed.jpg

Novelist Saladin Ahmed was looking at the back of a Corn Pops cereal box when he noticed a small but jarring detail.

The colorful illustration on the box depicted a chaotic scene of little yellow corn pop characters frolicking through a shopping mall.

But in the middle of the drawing, Ahmed spotted a lone non-yellow corn pop. The character looked as if it had brown skin. It also happened to be the only corn pop in all blue, and appeared to be waxing or scrubbing the mall's floors.

On Wednesday morning, Ahmed tweeted to Kellogg's: Why is "literally the only brown corn pop on the whole cereal box the janitor?"

It's "a tiny thing," he added, "but when you see your kid staring at this over breakfast and realize millions of other kids are doing the same…"

Within five hours, Kellogg's responded. The artwork has been updated and will be in stores soon, the company tweeted.

"Kellogg is committed to diversity & inclusion," the tweet read. "We did not intend to offend — we apologize."

Ahmed responded: "genuinely appreciate the rapid response."

In a statement to USA Today, the company said it respects all people.

"We take feedback very seriously, and it was never our intention to offend anyone," spokesman Kris Charles told USA Today. "We apologize sincerely."

cornpops_jpg.jpg.size.custom.crop.1086x611.jpg

Deleted member 2254

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I also read the thread title and thought "man, some people really see racism where there isn't any". Then I checked the pic and... yikes, that's awkward. Who thought this was a good idea?

artsi

Oct 26, 2017
Finland
Many many people looked at this in the process and all of them were like "this is totally fine". I'm bewildered.

Viewt

Oct 25, 2017
Chicago, IL
Look at that priveliged-ass corn pop playing jump rope with that dude's power cord. So disrespectful.

This is racist as hell.

Ravensmash

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, saw this earlier and was surprised at how blatent and intentional it looked.

I'd like to think there is a legit explanation but I actually can't think of one..

Hexa

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
I'm wondering how this actually happened. I can't see it as being intentionally racist. But at the same time, I'm left scratching my head trying to think of what it could be.

Violence Jack

Drive-in Mutant
Oct 25, 2017
Holy shit. I was ready to come in here with an "all corn pops matter" joke thinking it was a harmless mistake.

But oh my damn, that's some colorful diet racism on display.

Deleted member 6263

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I can't help but laugh at how someone made this and had it go up through multiple channels, and still nobody noticed it.

Trojita

Oct 25, 2017
That's pretty blatant.

Can we talk about Ninja Supply Co. and the corn pop dying under the escalator though?

SpankyDoodle

Oct 25, 2017
At first I too thought this was gonna be someone flipping out over nothing, there's always one or two brown overcooked pieces in corn flakes or Corn Pops and I expected it to be kind of a cute little nod by the artist to that, and someone got bent out of shape over it.

But then I kept reading and they made him the fucking janitor and then I saw the picture and I can't help but laugh, how the fuck on earth?!

Like even if your train of thought is "I'm gonna make one or two brown since there's always a couple burnt in the box" how do you go from there to making it the fuckin janitor and not see how that can be offensive? Hahahahaha Jesus! Sometimes I wonder if stuff like this isn't an accident and there's just a racist artist working for the company that's trying to sneak shit by without people noticing.

SpottieO

Oct 25, 2017
I never thought Corn Pops would be legitimately offensive but it's 2017 so anything is possible.

Transistor

Hollowly Brittle
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Washington, D.C.
At first I thought they were apologizing about that one piece of burnt Corn Pop that's in every box. (I read IN instead of ON, for some reason)

This is so much worse.

The Adder

Oct 25, 2017
I really didn't think there was actually going to be an issue.

There's an issue.

EDIT: And yeah. Glad they issued an apology.

astro

Oct 25, 2017
No way this wasn't done intentionally.

It's okay though everyone, the brown one is smiling!

SpankyDoodle

Oct 25, 2017
Wait. He's also the only Corn Pop that has eyes like that, and the only one with a nose and ears. Is he even a corn pop? Did the artist like stick a human janitor in there and just decide to make him dark skinned?!

Oct 25, 2017
NYC
It does not matter, they are all equally delicious in my mouth at the end.
But seriously if minorities don't ever speak up , we will always be looked down upon

Einchy

Oct 25, 2017
You almost gotta laugh at how ridiculous this is. A ton of people looked at this and they still let it go through.

Agnes

Oct 25, 2017
I wonder how they updated it; removing the janitor, or recolouring some part of the others?

fuzzylogic

Oct 26, 2017
That's some implicit racism, at the least.

Also, all these corn people are cannibals judging by Uncle Willy's food kiosk.

Cargo Shorts

Oct 25, 2017
I'm starting to think Twitter comments are worse than Facebook comments. And people put their real info on these sites, clearly proud of their shit beliefs.

LuciusAxelrod

Oct 25, 2017
I can't tell what's going on in this image. Are all the yellow guys humans wearing yellow ninja suits not hiding or assassination or other ninja things or are they naked yellow corn pop people in some sort of depraved hedonistic orgy? Either way, it seems like the janitor is the only one with a steady job here.

Flaurehn

Oct 25, 2017
Mexico City
Damn is just brown enough that you don't know if they are racist again black, mexican, muslim, other minorities or simply everything at once. I showed it to my pals here in Mexico and we all opened our eyes so hard they almost leave oue face