• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

plagiarize

Eating crackers
Oct 25, 2017
Cape Cod, MA
General Mills are confirmed as the superior cereal company. They upset people with cute adverts about mixed race families. Kelloggs pull this 'whoopsie!'.

Cantaim

Oct 25, 2017
The Stussining
Honest to god this is the funniest saddest thing to me cause around a month ago I did an interview with Kellogg's for an internship. Did a lot of reading on them to get ready and I memorized the "K values" and learnt a lot about their internal push for diversity. Sad to know that in the marketing section of Kellogg's the push is non existent.

SpankyDoodle

Oct 25, 2017
Hehe, Was also going to point this out, They really wanted to stress that he's custodial staff.
Except he isn't and this is looking like another case where we outrage about something and then after thinking about it a little bit realize that isn't not what we first thought.

The custodian is NOT the only person in this image wearing clothes. Every single other character is dressed in yellow ninja attire that makes their bodies look like Corn Pops. It's a poorly executed drawing/idea but I actually think this time there may have been no ill intent from anyone. It would easily get through all the levels to print because they're looking at the art as "a bunch of ninjas are wreaking havoc at a mall" and they're probably a bunch of white guys and gals who are ignorant and privileged and wouldn't give it a second thought.

Oct 25, 2017
Except he isn't and this is looking like another case where we outrage about something and then after thinking about it a little bit realize that isn't not what we first thought.

The custodian is NOT the only person in this image wearing clothes. Every single other character is dressed in yellow ninja attire that makes their bodies look like Corn Pops. It's a poorly executed drawing/idea but I actually think this time there may have been no ill intent from anyone. It would easily get through all the levels to print because they're looking at the art as "a bunch of ninjas are wreaking havoc at a mall" and they're probably a bunch of white guys and gals who are ignorant and privileged and wouldn't give it a second thought.

Oh SHit! You're correct, upon closer inspection all those are Ninjas in NInja suites... Yellow ones at that. My bad. doesn't help that the photo is in poor resolution and the colours and some lines even looked washed up .

Titik

Oct 25, 2017
I was ready to call faux-outrage out and then I saw the pic.

Yeah someone fucked up.

Bobson Dugnutt

Self Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
that corn pop doing that job while hell is all around him is a saint. the quiet hero of our societies.

Zubz

Oct 25, 2017
no
General Mills are confirmed as the superior cereal company. They upset people with cute adverts about mixed race families. Kelloggs pull this 'whoopsie!'.

The ironic thing is, I was intentionally picking Kellogg's cereals over General Mills because they were one of the first companies to publicly identify their ads ended up on Breitbart & wanted them taken off immediately.

This couldn't just be 1 person's fault, either. Multiple people saw, worked on, & approves this.

okayfrog

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I truly believe I would have caught that if the image came my way. And I think most melanin rich people would as well.
It wouldn't surprise me if it was caught, but then the artist brought up some explanation for it. I could not imagine what that would be, though. Kinda racked my brain for a few minutes trying to figure it out and I really couldn't.

Oct 25, 2017
I honestly expected it to be a silly complaint about someone getting an actual brown corn pop in their box, but that's racist as shit.

Cat Party

Oct 25, 2017

lmao this is actually true

Starlite

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
That's...that's not even subtle. C'mon Kellogg, no one checked this before sending it out?

SpankyDoodle

Oct 25, 2017
Oh SHit! You're correct, upon closer inspection all those are Ninjas in NInja suites... Yellow ones at that. My bad. doesn't help that the photo is in poor resolution and the colours and some lines even looked washed up .
Yeah the idea as fine as far as cereal box games go I guess but the execution is suuuuper poor. The fact that the only character not wearing a ninja costume is dressed as a janitor and has brown skin is not a good look.

It could also be argued that having the *ninja* be *yellow* is a little uh poorly thought out as well.

What does faux-outrage even mean? And how in any context from the thread title would you first come to that conclusion?
I believe it means "people getting worked up over nothing" and the context is, people who have eaten Corn Pops before know there's always a few overcooked pieces in each bag. So before actually reading the story and seeing the art, one would think "it's just the artist being cute and putting some brown pieces into the art as a wink or nod to those crispy bits" but then when you actually see it it's like "oh ffs"

AztecComplex

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
At first I rolled my eyes and thought this was only about someone making Kelloggs apologize for an actual corn pop that came out of different color. Then I saw the drawing and thre my arms up in the air. I did not expect that.

Darryl M R

The Spectacular PlayStation-Man
Oct 25, 2017
I believe it means "people getting worked up over nothing" and the context is, people who have eaten Corn Pops before know there's always a few overcooked pieces in each bag. So before actually reading the story and seeing the art, one would think "it's just the artist being cute and putting some brown pieces into the art as a wink or nod to those crispy bits" but then when you actually see it it's like "oh ffs"
In general that sounds like a childish mentality to have. People of color, specifically brown people in this scenario, are constantly facing racism and dog whistles.

Why would someone fake an outrage?

Now if you read the title and thought the corn pop was within the cereal box then I understand confusion and skepticism, and this is the thought you are saying people could have had. Thanks for clearing that up.

Greg NYC3

Oct 26, 2017
Miami
LOL, whew that is some good old-timey subliminal racism there. Got to reinforce those stereotypes even to the kiddies I guess.

Zombine

Oct 25, 2017
He's also the only one who can afford clothes because he is out there hitting the grind in search of that paper while the white pops jerk around naked in the mall.

I had to think pretty hard to make this a positive story.

Vas

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Cornpops aren't even that color... this is someone's specific feelings they went out of their way to convey. lmao

Oct 25, 2017
In general that sounds like a childish mentality to have. People of color, specifically brown people in this scenario, are constantly facing racism and dog whistles.

Now if you read the title and thought the corn pop was within the cereal box then I understand confusion and skepticism, and this is the thought you are saying people could have had. Thanks for clearing that up.
I took 'Faux outrage" not as someone actually intentionally faking an outrage, more so, not being able to see something for what it is and interpreting it offensive when it really isn;t upon closer inspection. Now, I cannot say the OP is a good example of "faux outrage" since it contains waaay too many questionable choices by the artist to just nod and give it a pass.

SpankyDoodle

Oct 25, 2017

Well that's what I'm saying, they assumed it was people getting bent out of shape because an artist depicted brown Corn Pops which are a real thing, but some people like to get offended for others or for the sake of being offended hence thinking, from the thread title only, that it was faux outrage. But upon actually reading the story and looking at the artwork, the "outrage" is in fact warranted.

If you read my first post in the thread I felt the same way. I saw the title, and thought "Are people seriously complaining that an artist put some brown Corn Pops into their picture, those are real things get a grip people" and then I read the story and saw the picture and was like "ok what the fuck seriously?" and then showing it to a friend they pointed out the other characters are actually all wearing yellow ninja outfits. So it's been a rollercoaster really. I think most people, as evidenced by the comments in even just this thread, don't realize they are ninja and they just flip out and think that there's one brown guy and he's a janitor how dare how dare. The actual fact of the matter is that we don't know the races of the ninja because we can't see their faces, but that doesn't stop it from being a very very poorly executed idea for an image.

I love how the classic racism was completely outdone here by the 2017 on-the-nose racism.

olol wow, didn't even think of that one. Basically, an overall poorly thought-out image.
Yeah they could have done a lot of different takes to get the same idea across. They could have been in space suits that made them look like Corn Pops, for example. Ninja aren't even associated with yellow! They're typically black or dark blue! Why aren't they scuba divers?

He's also the only one who can afford clothes because he is out there hitting the grind in search of that paper while the white pops jerk around naked in the mall.

I had to think pretty hard to make this a positive story.
He's actually not, it states very explicitly on the box that the Corn Pops are dressed as ninja. If anything they're showing even less skin than the janitor since all you can see are the ninjas' eyes.

Dog of Bork

Oct 25, 2017
Texas
Ok, so all corn pops but the janitor are in ninja outfits. Note that the mannequins in the clothes shop are the same color as the ninja outfit.

Even with all that, why is the janitor a brown corn pop? Why is literally the only visibly brown corn pop a janitor?

Whether or not it was intentional, seems pretty racist to me.

Pooh

Oct 25, 2017
The Hundred Acre Wood
This was so much worse than what I initially thought reading the thread title.

So much to think about from that. The one brown corn pop is the janitor. He's the only one wearing a full set of clothes, though for some reason there's a clothes shop on the second floor. I'm gonna guess it's not exactly a Fortune 500 company.

Also, the brown corn pop has different eyes from everyone else. Honestly he could come from a completely different concept image and they simply "forgot" to replace him with the all-yellow version.

SpankyDoodle

Oct 25, 2017
This was so much worse than what I initially thought reading the thread title.

So much to think about from that. The one brown corn pop is the janitor. He's the only one wearing a full set of clothes, though for some reason there's a clothes shop on the second floor. I'm gonna guess it's not exactly a Fortune 500 company.

Also, the brown corn pop has different eyes from everyone else. Honestly he could come from a completely different concept image and they simply "forgot" to replace him with the all-yellow version.
He's not the only one wearing clothes, all the other pops are in ninja costumes. That's also why their eyes are different, because on the ninja the only thing visible is their eyes. They're also lacking noses and ears which the janitor has, because they are covered by the ninja costumes.

The mannequin thing is legit weird too, those outfits wouldn't even fit on any of the pops pictured, they're like 2-3 times too big!

NLCPRESIDENT

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Midwest
Yea, I could see that.. but it just means shit has to change. For that to happen they have to constantly get bit in the ass. Why keep losing money to push an agenda? No agenda? Then change your company or have someone filter through crap like this.

Some crap ass artist or kid that thought it was funny now that is now going to cost you.

Biggui4yew

Permanently banned for using a prohibited email.
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Don't really see anything that's considered racist or offensive to be honest.

SpankyDoodle

Oct 25, 2017
Yea, I could see that.. but it just means shit has to change. For that to happen they have to constantly get bit in the ass. Why keep losing money to push an agenda? No agenda? Then change your company or have someone filter through crap like this.

Some crap ass artist or kid that thought it was funny now that is now going to cost you.
Or it could have been a minority artist that thought "The only character not wearing a ninja outfit and showing any skin is the janitor, I'm gonna use this opportunity to make him dark skinned like me" and it just went horribly, horribly wrong.