• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

The Pharmercy

Oct 26, 2017
Ha thanks, I figured there must've been another

Damn, that droid was a lady? Haha she's one of my favorites

It's weird because from my perspective, Disney hasn't done nearly to prove they're "serious about Diversity" by having white woman leads and PoC in supporting roles but even those small measures cause the other side to freak out.

Oh, I wasn't trying to say that Disney have shown they are some standard bearer who have gone above and beyond, sry...I guess my sentiment was that they shouldn't budge/go back. Give them an inch and they'll take a mile.

Johnny Blaze

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
DE
screenshot-2018-6-9thyuofp.jpg
These people need help.

Like meds, psychological evaluations, a good beating if nothing else works.

mrmoose

Nov 13, 2017
You can be the son of a pair of nobodies and still have midichlorians in your body helping you feel the force, they're just there because the force wants them to be.

Midichlorians being a gene thing only is something hardcore fanboys have said over and over

but Midichlorians are a gene thing as well, aren't they? Otherwise why were Luke and Leia the last hope of the galaxy?

Liquidsnake

Oct 27, 2017
Exactly to what extent and detail were these fans expecting with a reborn Jedi Order under Luke Skywalker? I'm genuinely interested in what they were expecting.

My personal head canon was for Luke to be along the lines of a jesuit priest like Oscar Romero and would abandon the more rigid edicts of the jedi order such as midichlorians, self imposed celibacy, and that jedi could never have attachments period. In essence, he would have been similar to Qui Gon Jinn, whom the films never really elaborate on, other than that he's supposed to be a "maverick" jedi master. If the writers decided to make the argument that he was a radical, it would have been interesting to see Jinn as flatly rejecting celibacy, much like progressive minded catholics do in real life. I just don't think that makes for a functionally healthy state of mind, and it would have been really effective if George Lucas made a case for that in the prequels.

Among writers, including George Lucas, what is the general consensus as it relates to jedi consummating relationships? Is it commonly accepted as expected practice or have they had characters openly question and unapologetically defy it as a matter of self preservation and dignity?

mr-miyagi-and-danielson.jpg

RumbleHumble

Oct 27, 2017
Boyega wandered into a thread where RFR was tagged and...

This post is feels like the epitome of why insulting the character is a frequent tactic to annoy the actor.

On its face, all this person is doing is claiming a character sucks, but they're clearing doing so in a way to try and make Boyega somehow feel worse for playing him.

Last edited:

Jktpnymonorel

Banned
Jan 19, 2018
let star wars ends.

their movies isnt as phenomenal as they once were and their fans absolutely suck balls

lose-lose relationship

Forsaken82

Oct 27, 2017
"We hate the character so what better to do than lash out against the Actor who portrayed that person! It's not the same as insulting the actual person!"

Sound logic.

mael

Avenger
Nov 3, 2017
Nah keep the movies and launch the fandom into the sun, nothing good come from them anyway.

CopperPuppy

Oct 25, 2017
Reminder that Star Wars fans weaponized their petty hatred to drive a 10-year-old boy crazy in 1999

Nice to see that streak of worthlessness continues

sphagnum

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Luke wasn't the only one who could turn Vader because he had magic genes - his power level amounted to nothing. He was the only one who could turn Vader because he was the only one who was willing to give up everything and trust in his father's love.

Leia couldn't do that because she hated the man and viewed Bail as her real father.

Ahsoka couldn't do that because she viewed Anakin and Vader as separate people. Same with Obi-Wan, same with Yoda.

Midichlorians are real in-universe but they have never actually mattered. Anakin was the Chosen One because he destroyed the Sith by picking up an old man and throwing him down a pit to save his son, not because he could go Jedi SSJ. Luke was the New Hope because he believed in love, not because of his Force aptitude.

The Will of the Force works in mysterious ways.

D i Z

Oct 25, 2017
Where X marks the spot.
let star wars ends.

their movies isnt as phenomenal as they once were and their fans absolutely suck balls

lose-lose relationship

OR here's an idea. Leave the kids movies for the kids to enjoy and everyone stop crapping all over them while simultaneously claiming them as prized possessions?
The younger gen are going to be a bunch of cynical fucks because we condition them with our own bad behavior with every single piece of media designed for them.

FormatCompatible

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Boyega wandered into a thread where RFR was tagged and...

Oh god, what you made me do Manabyte. I opened the thread you posted then wandered in the twitter of the person John was responding to, only to see that he retweeted Ethan van Sciver talking about ''sjws being ruffled'' by how much money he made with his crowdfunded comic about a cyborg frog...

What a fucking rabbit hole.

TSM

Oct 27, 2017
OR here's an idea. Leave the kids movies for the kids to enjoy and everyone stop crapping all over them while simultaneously claiming them as prized possessions?
The younger gen are going to be a bunch of cynical fucks because we condition them with our own bad behavior with every single piece of media designed for them.

Have you seen the stuff kids watch on youtube? They will be cynical because it's most of what they consume of their own volition. It's the meme generation. Stuff being torn down is a primary source of amusement. My kids like to watch things to make fun of it.

Oct 25, 2017
I didn't find it objectionable. At the very least, it felt more tongue and cheek than anything else. And the director of that film is a self admitted Star Wars fan. I have the DVD, so I listened to the director's commentary, and he said it was all about the love -- especially during the closing number in that film. Of course, this was before the Disney purchase, and years before the age of toxic social media put downs.

There weren't, to the best of my knowledge, any direct insults directed at George Lucas in that film. I don't even think that film was meant to be taken seriously at all given the title. I found it to be even subversively informative. It went into his formative years as a film maker. On a personal note, I never knew that George Lucas wanted to be a profession race car driver and that he was nearly killed in a drag racing incident. It can get juvenile at times, but nothing that would suggest that there was any bad will intent by the people involved.

I will say though, this recent discord that has been brewing over the past couple of years has got me thinking about the participants in that film.

Nah. There's levels to this. You can criticize a movie. But there is literally a documentary dedicated to this notion that TPM ruined people's childhook. "George Lucas raped my childhood" That shit was given life. Hell South Park made an entire episode about it. So while it was a meme. It was clearly the absolute truth to people.

That would be fine if people just moved on. But you had people harassing Lucas, cast and crew. I saw someone above mention "Victim complex". No one is saying you can't criticize a movie, but when you move past that and start attacking actors, and crew you've crossed a line.

Now it's funny. Those same people want Lucas back even when a lot of the ideas Lucas Film are using is actually from George himself.

Crackhead_Bob

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
Nah. There's levels to this. You can criticize a movie. But there is literally a documentary dedicated to this notion that TPM ruined people's childhook. "George Lucas raped my childhood" That shit was given life. Hell South Park made an entire episode about it. So while it was a meme. It was clearly the absolute truth to people.

That would be fine if people just moved on. But you had people harassing Lucas, cast and crew. I saw someone above mention "Victim complex". No one is saying you can't criticize a movie, but when you move past that and start attacking actors, and crew you've crossed a line.

Now it's funny. Those same people want Lucas back even when a lot of the ideas Lucas Film are using is actually from George himself.

I was referring to The People Vs. George Lucas as that documentary. Is there another documentary out there similar to it that you're referring to by any chance?

The only documentary I know of is the People Vs. George Lucas, and on its surface, I always took it to be nothing more than a playful jaunt into the fans' disappointment with the prequels. I just have a hard time processing the idea that there are people out there who took the song "George Lucas Raped My Childhood" to heart and turned it into a clarion call of sorts. It's such a lack of priorities in life. Do you think these people carry on about it at dinner time with their families or at work? Imagine obsessing about this on a date. It used to be a funny punch line you'd see on the Simpsons, with that comic book store owner. But today, it almost sets off some red flags.