• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

chubigans

Vertigo Gaming Inc.
Verified
Oct 25, 2017

It was an open secret apparently on what a piece of shit Ken Wong is but this really puts it in perspective. Total trash.

nsilvias

Oct 25, 2017
lets hope this community handles this better than the blizzard abuse thread from a while back considering this is a dude.

Budi

Oct 25, 2017
Finland
Horrible, these just keep coming. It's of course great thing that people dare to speak up, but horrible how common these things are.

OnionPowder

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Orlando, FL
What's up with this week?! Holy fuck.

People are afraid to speak up, seeing other victims getting their voice out gives them the strength to open up about their own.

A lot of people who are abused by somebody above the social totem pole are afraid to speak out. The mental anguish afterwards is the one of the things that hurts people so much. There's a lot of complex things that go into something like this that is above my pay grade.

Deleted member 10737

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
fuck, what a piece of garbage. there's a film being made based on monument valley, hopefully it gets cancelled.

adumb

Banned
Aug 17, 2019
Alexis Kennedy too. Is there a thread? And shouldn't there be one big, stickied thread consolidating all of this? I'd like to know where not to spend my money at a glance.

Xavi

Oct 27, 2017
Lightning for Smash
People are afraid to speak up, seeing other victims getting their voice out gives them the strength to open up about their own.

A lot of people who are abused by somebody above the social totem pole are afraid to speak out. The mental anguish afterwards is the one of the things that hurts people so much. There's a lot of complex things that go into something like this that is above my pay grade.
Yeah I understand, I'm very happy for those speaking up as it takes an incredible amount of courage and I'm proud of them. At the same time, it is sad that there a lot of scumbags out there doing shit like this without being called out.

Maedhros

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 25, 2017
I already paid for MV 1 and 2... I'll keep an eye on his future games if these allegations turn out to be true.

Deleted member 1849

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Weed them out!

We needed a movement like this for a long time. There are a lot of monsters in this industry.

selo

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Cool to see people speaking up. Also, why all of these people call the offenders "legends/superstars" or some other superlative? Is this how these devs conduct/think of themselves? They're just regular people :|

Let's see if this Ken Wong(had never heard of this "superstar") has something to say, we should always hear both sides of the story.

SunBroDave

Oct 25, 2017
Looks like the gaming industry's finally having its MeToo moment. Good, fuck these abusive assholes

OnionPowder

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Orlando, FL
Cool to see people speaking up. Also, why all of these people call the offenders "legends/superstars" or some other superlative? Is this how these devs conduct/think of themselves? They're just regular people :|

Let's see if this Ken Wong has something to say, we should always hear both sides of the story.

It's because you know their name

How many people could you tell me that work on Metal Gear Solid 4? Most would probably max out at around 5-10 people (including voice actors) versus the hundreds of people listed in it's credits

adumb

Banned
Aug 17, 2019

Let's see if this Ken Wong has something to say, we should always hear both sides of the story.
I think it's to make it clear that they're influential people in the industry. Not just some faceless coder or what have you, but the people at the top. This industry, like every industry, is dominated by gross men with so many skeletons in their closets they're spilling out into Narnia and upsetting the fauns.

Deleted member 23212

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
It's crazy that the gaming industry is only just now getting something that can be considered a #MeToo movement, GamerGate I guess delayed that for a few years.

Spyware

Oct 26, 2017
Sweden

Let's see if this Ken Wong(had never heard of this "superstar") has something to say, we should always hear both sides of the story.
Devs are more often known by studio names or game names. I find it hard to believe many people haven't heard about Monument Valley one way or another. It's one of those "must have" mobile games that is always on toplists and whatever = "superstar" dev.

Deleted member 31817

Nov 7, 2017
rsz_house_of_cards_monument_valley_2.jpg

frank-underwood-sofa--575x323.jpg

Garlador

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
*sigh* Monument Valley is such a gorgeous game that I was thinking I could play with my daughter. As an artist, it's aesthetic brings me legit joy.

So... ugh. Sucks to hear that, but that's nowhere near the negative feelings his accuser must've dealt with.

GinoFelino

Oct 27, 2017
I guess now it's appropriate that Monument Valley got its big(ger) break by being Kevin Spacey's favourite game

Vylder

Oct 25, 2017
I kinda feel like we need a sticky thread to keep track of everything that is happening this week.

Eumi

Nov 3, 2017
I kinda feel like we need a sticky thread to keep track of everything that is happening this week.
All that would do is further bury the names of these abusers.

They shouldn't get less publicity just because we're seeing a lot of them. That would just serve to counter the benefits that seeing others speak out have.

adumb

Banned
Aug 17, 2019
We do. People need to be able to easily make informed purchases (or not), and more importantly the victims voices should be signal boosted in one place rather than sporadically over 9 threads. There will be more.

Sibylus

Oct 25, 2017
Fuck you Ken Wong you abusive piece of shit. Your words have power, and you use yours to destroy people for your own self-gratification.

Gundam

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The sticky could just be a post with links to all the separate threads.

This would be good.

There are also other stories currently floating around on twitter in the game dev space - I don't recognize some of the names but someone from Splash Damage has been accused as well.

Signal boosting these is a good use of Era as a platform

Deleted member 82

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
What's up with this week?! Holy fuck.

Edit: Also, instantly deleting MV from my phone. Fuck him.

According to RAINN, there are 321,500 victims of rape and sexual assault per year in the US alone.

That's 1,000 victims per day on average.

We've had, what, 5 allegations over 2 days? Honestly, the number is low, even if we narrow our focus to the games industry. Nothing happened, really; we're just seeing a tiny crack in the system thanks to one brave person who spoke up yesterday. That simple act empowered other victims to speak up. Expect more revelations in the coming days and weeks. This is gaming's #MeToo moment.

Falcon511

Oct 27, 2017
This sucks. However I won't stop appreciating monument valley. Game development is a team effort (mostly) and there were other great people who were involved with the game.

Sucks though.

Dr. Mario

Oct 27, 2017
Netherlands
So he's a terrible boss?
Like I think it's good that it's out there, bosses who belittle employees to the point of crying suck (I've had one) but it doesn't seem in the same ballpark as people getting sexually abused / raped.