• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Saucycarpdog

Oct 25, 2017
Reviews are just starting to come out.

Opencritic: 83

PC Gamer 65/100
Looks better than it plays, but it's got a good heart.

IGN 8/10
With its elegantly simple combat and beautiful world, Kena: Bridge of Spirits harkens back to the days of the N64/GameCube-era Zeldas, Okami, and Star Fox Adventures, while also adding modern sensibilities and a distinct personal touch.

Eurogamer
Kena is smooth as a pebble - a game engineered to be so unoffensive there's no reason not to play it, or to play it at all.

Gamesradar 4/5
An agreeable adventure that's transformed into something special by its enchanting aesthetic

Polygon
Kena: Bridge of Spirits promises magic, but can't deliver much of it

Destructiod 8/10
I wouldn't call Kena: Bridge of Spirits overly ambitious. More like "strategically ambitious." Ember Lab avoided biting off more than it could chew with its first game, and I dug it.

Rock Paper Shotgun
Kena: Bridge Of Spirits is a beautiful action-adventure game full of joy, wonder and character. It's a breath of fresh air.

Game Informer 9/10
The world is fun to explore, and your time is rewarded with secrets galore and hats for your little Rot followers

Gamesbeat
So, yeah. So far, so good. I do have some concerns. As pretty as Kena's magical forest is, it's beginning to feel a little monotonous. I could use a bit more scenic variety, especially some indoor areas. I've been in a few caves, and they're great. They're eerie, atmospheric, and mystical. I want more caves!

Dualshockers 10/10
I really can't recommend Kena: Bridge of Spirits highly enough that will see players partake in a meaningful journey absorbed in a vibrant world filled with fluid animations that cries out to be explored. With the game's added photo mode, expect to add on a few more gameplay hours as you fill up your gallery with lots of cute Rot pictures, too.

Press Start 8/10
As an indie effort and a debut game, Kena: Bridge of Spirits makes a good impression. It balances simplicity and challenge while weaving a neatly-paced story into something that can be played over a chill couple of days. Despite fantastic production values it's still far from a AAA title – so it's important to keep expectations in check, but anyone looking to lose themselves in a charming, gorgeous world ripe for exploration should look no further. It's exactly what I needed right now – perfect cozy weekend entertainment.

Gamespot 9/10
Kena: Bridge of Spirits uses a different perspective on familiar gameplay ideas to create tons of exciting combat and a deep emotional connection with its world.

Push Square 7/10
Despite borrowing from all manner of modern hits, Kena: Bridge of Spirits just about stands on its own. The wonderful visuals and music leave a strong impression, while the gameplay is simple but enjoyable. If its story went beyond the expected, and one or two small issues were scrubbed away, this would be a real winner. As it is, this is a solid action platformer with lots of personality, and a strong debut from Ember Lab.

Wccftech 8/10
Despite featuring a very familiar experience inspired by The Legend of Zelda series, Kena: Bridge of Spirits manages to stand out from the competition with its amazing visuals, excellent combat system, and puzzle design. The underwhelming story and lack of real innovation prevent the game from being a must-have, sure, but what Kena: Bridge of Spirits does well, it really does well, so much that it's very easy to look past its issues.

Last edited:

Falus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Unfair to put PC game review at first lol. Surprised by the score. Game looks amazingly charming

Headman Rum

Oct 28, 2017
Great to see this review so well. Especially with ember labs being a brand new studio, set up by 2 black guys.
Looking forward to jumping in after work.

Loudninja

Oct 27, 2017
Hobby Consolas 8.6
"Satisfactory" is a well suited adjective for this game. It may not be as groundbreaking as other games in the genre, but it offers really interesting exploration and combats. And you'll love your Rots too.
www.hobbyconsolas.com

Análisis de Kena: Bridge of Spirits, una aventura que tiene algo de magia

En el análisis de Kena: Bridge of Spirits os contamos si esta aventura de inspiración japonesa y desarrollo 'a lo Zelda', pero con identidad propia merece la pena.

Multiplayer.it 8.8
multiplayer.it

Kena: Bridge of Spirits, la recensione

Abbiamo affrontato assieme a Kena il suo viaggio per comprendere meglio il suo ruolo di Guida Spirituale e siamo pronti per raccontarvelo nella nostra recensione di Kena: Bridge of Spirits.

VelvetMonkey

Aug 18, 2020
Most disappointing of all is how Kena: Bridge of Spirits feels to play. Its combat, puzzles, and exploration are finely tuned and well oiled. But the game rigidly sticks to a formula that we've all seen before. You already know the rhythm and flow from countless other games. It's 2018's God of War without the gruesome finishing moves. It's Ghost of Tsushima without the expansive cast of characters. It's Horizon Zero Dawn without the sprawling scope. The list goes on. And when the formula is such an overwrought entity, how can anything really be magical? There are no real secrets in Kena: Bridge of Spirits, only collectibles. There's no mystery, either; just more arena combat.

Inspirations should always serve as a jumping-off point, something to build upon. But it often feels less like Kena: Bridge of Spirits was inspired by things, and more like it decided it could squish its beautifully realized world of magic and spirits into a ready-made mold. The result is a thoughtless blend; a hybridized paste. Vibrant and undoubtedly beautiful, Kena: Bridge of Spirits shows us every color in the spectrum. But strangely, it all feels brown — a muddy, grayish brown that comes from having mixed together every color on the palette.
From Polygon. I think that from most reviews we can inferr that the game is very derivative, some will find the influences inspired, others stale.
I think I'm fine with this, I'm probably going to wait for a black friday deal for the physical edition.

Joffy

Oct 30, 2017
I haven't been totally sold on this one so pleased to see the strong scores. The Star Fox Adventures comparison is probably the big draw for me, I've always had a soft spot for the chilled vibes of that game

Oct 31, 2017
This looks like pixar quality graphics, given the size of the studio I think it's commendable the reviews it's getting. But Damn to be a developer nowadays! I take my hat off to you, you must go through hoops thinking how well your game is recieved. This is one for the wife!

daninthemix

Nov 2, 2017
From Polygon. I think that from most reviews we can inferr that the game is very derivative, some will find the influences inspired, others stale.
Probably has a bit to do with how many of these types of games the player has played (i.e. how familiar is it).

I might pick this up later but the vibe I'm getting is that no one will be talking about this in a month, meaning I might forget.

Poldino

Oct 27, 2020
Wow, such great scores! Ember Lab knocked it out of the park at their debut

I feel bad for the people who tried to shit on this game for a whole year lol

jungius

Sep 5, 2021
"Kena is smooth as a pebble - a game engineered to be so unoffensive there's no reason not to play it, or to play it at all"

this is quite brutal

slider

Nov 10, 2020
That Imran Khan quote almost validates my preorder.

It kinda reminds me of a review I read for the first J&D years ago; nothing inspired by some great games for a very good package.

There's very little I enjoy games wise these days (although I keep trying!) so I'm hoping some simple fun with my kids is what this provides.

Ariakon44

Prophet of Truth
Nov 17, 2020
That Imran Khan quote almost validates my preorder.

It kinda reminds me of a review I read for the first J&D years ago; nothing inspired by some great games for a very good package.

There's very little I enjoy games wise these days (although I keep trying!) so I'm hoping some simple fun with my kids is what this provides.

From what I've played so far, Kena should deliver that in spades. It's very much a throwback to gamecube or ps2-style platformers (in a good way, in my opinion).

Systolique

Oct 26, 2017
Gamekult gave it a 8/10, very good score coming from them! The review is also pretty raving.

+ Poetic & touching story
+ A very charming world
+ Stunning art direction
+ Wonderful music
+ More challenging than anticipated
+ Rich & very well articulated gameplay
+ The Rot, of course
+ A lot of little secrets everywhere

- Camera can be a bit erratic sometimes
- Some small technical blunders
- We'd like more!

Last edited:
May 31, 2021
Great reviews, I was gonna wait for the disc version but I caved and went digital lol

I think Sony should really consider scooping up Ember labs, they seem talented and would make a great addition to the team.

VelvetMonkey

Aug 18, 2020
Probably has a bit to do with how many of these types of games the player has played (i.e. how familiar is it).

I might pick this up later but the vibe I'm getting is that no one will be talking about this in a month, meaning I might forget.
Yes, most reviews mention this, some like Eurogamer and Polygon might value originality and innovation more so they were harsher while critiquing the "tripla A design conventions mold".
I'm a bit conflicted because the mashup of those mechanics is also something that bores me really quickly, but at the same time many mention charm and heart so I think I'll give it a try (even just for how beautiful it looks).

NeoRaider

Feb 7, 2018
Both OC and MC are at 85 now. Overall great reviews for the first game and new IP by Indie studio. I was honestly expecting something around 80, so this is impressive.

Deleted member 51789

User requested account closure
Banned
Jan 9, 2019
It's getting good reception which is nice to see (and very impressive on the part of Ember Labs) but there's nothing from many of the reviews screaming out at to make me want to actually play it. Will maybe pick it up a bit further down the line with a price dip.

GasProblem

Prophet of Truth
Nov 18, 2017
Looks like a game I'd like to play. But sad to see Ember Labs looks like a shitty company who doesn't pay their employees. Hmm, sale or used it is then.

Nov 21, 2017
Great reviews, I was gonna wait for the disc version but I caved and went digital lol

I think Sony should really consider scooping up Ember labs, they seem talented and would make a great addition to the team.

If Kena's sales are extremely well in its first month I wouldn't be shocked if SIE or Epic Games approaches them about the possibility of publishing their next project. If Ember Labs decides they want to sell then SIE & Epic would likely be the frontrunners since that's who the studio currently has timed exclusive deals with.

Falus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
In
Gamekult gave it a 8/10, very good score coming from them! The review is also pretty raving.

+ Poetic & touching story
+ A very charming world
+ Stunning art direction
+ Wonderful music
+ More challenging than anticipated
+ Rich & very well articulated gameplay
+ The Rot, of course
+ A lot of little secrets everywhere

- Camera can be a be erratic sometimes
- Some small technical blunders
- We'd like more!
Most surprising review

ElephantShell

Oct 25, 2017
Lol that Eurogamer blurb kinda speaks to how I've felt about the game since it was announced. It looks super pleasant but I feel oddly apathetic about it.

Izanagi89

Oct 27, 2017
Saying it's like a PS2-era platformer is probably the biggest way to sell the game to me. Can't wait to play it