• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Deleted member 5853

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
What the fuck?

How is that coming from a place of ignorance?

Dude is absolutely right, Em became a rap icon and never needed to say it

Get outta here with this "you sound pompous," "you sound holier-than-thou" trash
I edited the original post, since I radically misinterpreted the original post.

I'm sorry for the strong remarks.

TerminusFox

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
1*yl716GzG6vgvHw5xb4J85g.jpeg

BigJeffery

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
I don't think we should just say whatever word we want ontop--that's basically another example of erasure. Silence or permission to use the word from the artist are the only acceptable things I can think of.

It is an odd situation, being pulled on stage. You want to be respectful of the song--but, of course, what is respectful is up for debate.

Isn't just not saying it literally erasure lmao?

Okii

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
What is your goal with these questions? What are you trying to learn/understand?
It seems you have an opinion about what happened and the use of the word but you're asking questions instead of expressing it.
These discussions would probably go a lot smother if people would actually get to the point they are attempting to make.
So what is your goal with this discussion?

To see how other people feel about it, I have some friends from the middle east that don't understand how this a problem and how using the word is an issue. Curious about how some can put no blame on Kendrick and and think the fan was in the wrong and how others feel the other way that he should've told her before hand or mention it to the entire crowd so everyone knows going forward what he wants them to do.

Enzom21

Oct 25, 2017
lol WHAT? This was a thing? Was he has about Undercover Brother?
Bad night: "[Ex-wife Denise] Richards claims that an enraged Sheen—who was over for a visit with the couple's two children—told her she was 'fucking with the wrong guy' and called her a series of vulgar names in front of the children. The actor, Richards said, then shoved her to the ground and screamed, 'I hope you fucking die, bitch.'"

Ensuing panic: "To illustrate Sheen's volcanic temper and abusive language, Richards's [divorce] filing includes transcripts of six phone messages he allegedly left her last April, while she was pregnant with the couple's second daughter. In one call, Sheen says, 'You're a coward and a liar and a fucking nigger alright so fuck you.'"

Nov 18, 2017
Should've skipped it or replaced with "sucka!" or something.

Like, even if Lamar had explicited said beforehand "go ahead it's fine", there's no way in hell any white person should feel comfortable saying that, especially in front of thousands of people at a concert. I think she was a little dumb and doesn't seem like offence was intended, or taken, so it probably all worked out for the best, and some folks got educated along the way.

Last edited:

Mass Effect

One Winged Slayer
Oct 31, 2017
Come on man you saw the lyrics yourself... the word is literally on every single line. When at a concert you're hyped up, probably on something (alchohol or another drug), and you're just really there to have fun.

Do people reasonably expect to be like this at a very fast song:
"Man down
Where you from, [wait I can't say the word coming up, they'll crucify me] nigga?"
"Fuck who you know, where you from, my [wait I can't say the word coming up, they'll crucify me] nigga?"
"Where your grandma stay, huh, my [wait I can't say the word coming up, they'll crucify me] nigga?"
"This m.A.A.d city I run, my [wait I can't say the word coming up, they'll crucify me] nigga"

I mean yeah I get that. I was there and pretty much everyone was saying nigga.

Trying to stop a bunch of hyped, drunk/high (mostly white) college kids from saying the word is a tall order. I'm not going to be one who insists they don't say it, but that doesn't mean other black people are cool with it.

Coyote Starrk

The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017
I don't think we should just say whatever word we want ontop--that's basically another example of erasure. Silence or permission to use the word from the artist are the only acceptable things I can think of.

It is an odd situation, being pulled on stage. You want to be respectful of the song--but, of course, what is respectful is up for debate.

Are you seriously gonna sit there and tell me that an artist or some other person of color is gonna get mad if a white person decides to omit a racial slur from their songs?

Do you realize how stupid that sounds?

Enzom21

Oct 25, 2017
To see how other people feel about it, I have some friends from the middle east that don't understand how this a problem and how using the word is an issue. Curious about how some can put no blame on Kendrick and and think the fan was in the wrong and how others feel the other way that he should've told her before hand or mention it to the entire crowd so everyone knows going forward what he wants them to do.
Read the thread? Read the original thread for this. Hell read the ten or so other threads here about this very subject.
Literally everyone of your questions has been answered already, there is no discussion to be had here.

DigitalOp

Nov 16, 2017
Maybe I missed the post in the thread, but did anyone in the thread say that they have to say the n-word because they're trying to be a successful rapper?

I don't think white people should say it, but I also don't think the Eminem argument is very strong.

Its worse than that.

People are saying they have to say nigga to "remain true to the authenticity of the art and the artist"

What?

You performing at Madison Square Garden? For the president?

You're signing a song. We have plenty of white artists who prospered in hip hop because they understood the rules of the culture and respected it.

This thread has a shitton of posters saying they're exempt from the rules.

You wanna scream nigga while singing in your room, go right ahead... Leave that shit there. Nobody wants to hear you say at the club, party, in the car, in a box, with a fox.

We don't wanna hear that shit.

Oct 25, 2017
It's no surprise some try to make this more complicated than it actually is, After all this country was built on disrespecting black people

the_wart

Oct 25, 2017
User Banned (1 Week): Denying the historical context for reclaimed language despite extensive clarification throughout the topic
As a non black person don't say the word. It's simple as that. Being in ther song lyrics doesn't somehow negate everything awful about that word as used by everyone who isn't black.

I'd say the same thing to you. This shit isn't rocket science

The notion that people should just accept sweeping global pronouncements regarding what they can and cannot say in any and every context without any justification is some absolutely Orwellian bullshit.

Okii

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
User Banned (1 Week): Arguing in bad faith throughout the thread. Dismissive attitude towards users while asking to be educated.
Read the thread? Read the original thread for this. Hell read the ten or so other threads here about this very subject.
Literally everyone of your questions has been answered already, there is no discussion to be had here.

I did read it and asked some questions that got answered? Glad not everyone is as closed minded as you are about someone curious about something. Educate instead of being passive aggressive when someone doesn't parrot your thoughts.

Crocks

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
User Banned (1 week): Attempt to derail discussion with complaints about moderation. History of similar actions.
That mod post in the OP. Jesus Christ. Why is disagreement something that needs to come under the cosh of moderation? It's absolutely bizarre.

Pirateluigi

Oct 27, 2017
The notion that people should just accept sweeping global pronouncements regarding what they can and cannot say in any and every context without any justification is some absolutely Orwellian bullshit.

Dude.. If you don't understand why white people shouldn't say the nword, just open a history book.

There are no tricky rules or subtext here. Just. Don't. Say. It.

Enzom21

Oct 25, 2017
should have been the official slogan
Then why are you here? If you think this place is so bad, why not leave?
There is plenty of discussion to be had on the forum but this is a private that has rules.
There are other sites where you're free to discuss whatever bigoted nonsense you think is not allowed here.

I did read it and asked some questions that got answered? Glad not everyone is as closed minded as you are about someone curious about something. Educate instead of being passive aggressive when someone doesn't parrot your thoughts.
What was passive aggressive about my post? I expressed pretty clearly how I feel.
You asked questions that have been answered countless times. It is circular nonsense.

Oct 25, 2017
I'm curious as to how many white people ITT who argue that they should be allowed to say the word would be fine saying it in front of a black person they don't know.

This is a rhetorical question of course, because the answer to this is 0. Why? Because you all know a black person IRL would be offended by this, yet you all are pretending as if this is a completely foreign concept.

marrec

Banned
Oct 26, 2017

I mean, at least in America, you aren't going to get arrested for posting an insta video of you, a white person, rapping along with Kendrick on your toilet.

Thing is, it's generally viewed as socially unacceptable for white people to say it. Just like it's generally viewed as socially unacceptable to shit on someone's porch.

It's not orwellian to understand that you are going to be judged according to how you comport yourself in public. Get a grip.

Ronin

Oct 25, 2017
Artist self-censor their lyrics when performing on a broadcast television event or at sports half time shows. Why is that so hard for white people?

crienne

Oct 25, 2017
I'm curious as to how many white people ITT who argue that they should be allowed to say the word would be fine saying it in front of a black person they don't know.

This is a rhetorical question of course, because the answer to this is 0. Why? Because you all know a black person IRL would be offended by this, yet you all are pretending as if this is a completely foreign concept.

Waiting for the inevitable anecdote where someone comes in and say, "I have multiple black friends and they all let me say this word around them." I'm amazed it hasn't happened yet, tbh. Normally that's a page two or three thing.

flkRaven

Oct 25, 2017

Isn't this a good thing?

Skelepuzzle

Apr 17, 2018
Dude.. If you don't understand why white people shouldn't say the nword, just open a history book.

There are no tricky rules or subtext here. Just. Don't. Say. It.

But what if the word quantum leaps into my mouth? What should Sam Beckett do if he leaps into a black man's body? What if he leaps into Kendrick's body on stage!?

Nappuccino

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Are you seriously gonna sit there and tell me that an artist or some other person of color is gonna get mad if a white person decides to omit a racial slur from their songs?

But, it's a gap that's felt and acknowledged by the silence in the music. Throwing in some other word just to keep the rhythm seems really awful.

Not omit--replace the word with some other word, like people were suggesting at the start of this thread. I'm saying your choices are omit or ask their permission to use the word. To use some other word that sounds the same, but isn't the word seems really offensive to me, at least.

HStallion

Oct 25, 2017

Accusing a group of people who were enslaved, oppressed and are still horribly mistreated in many unfair manners to this very day as being some 1984 style oppressive government in control of what people can and can't say is so incredibly stupid and disingenuous. You're literally making the oppressed the oppressor because you can't say one ugly word. Fuck off

Oct 25, 2017
Isn't this a good thing?

Absolutely. But that's not my point. So many people in this thread are pretending to be confused as to why they can't say the N word. But at the same time they would never say that word to a black person they didn't know in real life.

This is contradictory to me, because it shows that they know that the word is wrong for them to use, but are pretending otherwise ITT.

Oct 27, 2017
Just wanna say, I love the mod team on ERA, and don't think you guys get enough appreciation.

Thank you for making this a policy moving forward, so I don't have to re-litigate with an anonymous poster in thread #342344523 why they have no place policing POC on how to reclaim their words.

Coyote Starrk

The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017
Not omit--replace the word with some other word, like people were suggesting at the start of this thread. I'm saying your choices are omit or ask their permission to use the word. To use some other word that sounds the same, but isn't the word seems really offensive to me, at least.

So a white person like me replacing the N-word with the word brotha or sucka like some have suggested is more offensive to you than if I were to actually use the N-word itself?

You can't actually be serious right now.

MBeanie

Oct 27, 2017

Say what you want to say, never hide behind pc culture, shout it out so the whole world can hear.

But just so we are all on the same page, people also have the freedom to respond to the word by using another word, "racist" and identifying you as such.

leafcutter

Feb 14, 2018

I dunno, I kind of agree with him. Just don't say it - no need to replace it with "ninja" or some other cheeky rhyme. The previous thread had a lot of suggestions for replacement words, and a lot of them struck me as really impudent. But omission of the n-word is the point, so whatever.

marrec

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
So a white person like me replacing the N-word with the word brotha or sucka like some have suggested is more offensive to you than if I were to actually use the N-word itself?

You can't actually be serious right now.

You, and me, as white people can't police how people are going to get offended at our use or replacement of that word.

If Nappuccino is going to get offended at any replacement, then don't use replacements around him, it's simple and not hard y'all.

Besides, some of the words people use are really just sneaky ways to try and get away with saying the n-word.

Someone in this thread suggested migga which is just... lmao really?

Bobson Dugnutt

Self Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Then why are you here? If you think this place is so bad, why not leave?
There is plenty of discussion to be had on the forum but this is a private that has rules.
There are other sites where you're free to discuss whatever bigoted nonsense you think is not allowed here.

Lol it was a joke my man, but feel free to keep lashing out at any post that doesn't contain something that's in full agreement with you, that seems healthy. I'm perfectly fine with not saying the n-word, just found the officious nature of the post funny.

Mona

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Absolutely. But that's not my point. So many people in this thread are pretending to be confused as to why they can't say the N word. But at the same time they would never say that word to a black person they didn't know in real life.

This is contradictory to me, because it shows that they know that the word is wrong for them to use, but are pretending otherwise ITT.

it shows that they don't think the word is wrong to use but have respect for other people's comfort

HStallion

Oct 25, 2017
Lol it was a joke my man, but feel free to keep lashing out at any post that doesn't contain something that's in full agreement with you, that seems healthy. I'm perfectly fine with not saying the n-word, just found the officious nature of the post funny.

You thinking that mod post and rule is funny is why people don't take to kindly to your comment. For many it's not funny in the slightest especially when you have to repeat the same thing over and over and over.

Status
Not open for further replies.