• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

LightEntite

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I'm glad Kendrick said something. Don't say the n word if you aren't black, period.

People are too caught up on whether or not this was "staged". I don't think it matters, He made a point. I think Kendrick speaking up publicly against this is powerful and something I wish more artists did.

miss me with all that "its in the lyrics" bullshit. stop trying to justify it. That's a big reason why I personally think we need more artists to be outspoken about the subject. I often see rappers opinions ranging from indifference (schoolboy q, travis scott) to in some rare cases outright encouraging usage of the n word by their white fans (Tyler the creator). It's not the responsibility of these artist to tell you, obviously, and the logic that one or a few of your favorite artists saying its fine to do at their shows justifies it is flawed at best. But I've seen these examples used as talking points so often. Well, here you go. One of the most celebrated black artists of our generation telling you to shut the fuck up. He's not gonna let it slide just because you're a fan, or because its in the lyrics he wrote. that doesn't make it ok for you to say.

first off, that font color is obnoxious

and the reason why so many rappers have different viewpoints on it is probably because of why it's a problematic word in the first place.

this is pretty much where I stand.

you should obviously know when to watch your mouth because nothing anyone says is going to count for everyone you encounter

but as long as the word is a regular part of my vocabulary, i can't cop a bitch fit when someone uses it (in the context of celebrating our culture) when i'm not even doing my part to set an example.

Oct 25, 2017
she probably still should have had the common sense to NOT use it, but anyone actually getting mad at her for doing it at that point is just ridiculous imo
I don't see anyone mad at her for using it, even Kendrick. She did and was educated on it and adjust herself. That's all it is. If she proclaimed like other posters here showing their asses wanting to use it out of an ornate sense of privilege, then it's fair to be mad at that.

This really isn't hard at all be mindful of who you are and what words and actions inflict on others. Also not every piece of art is for everyone.

Chumley

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 26, 2017

and the reason why so many rappers have different viewpoints on it is probably because of why it's a problematic word in the first place.

you should obviously know when to watch your mouth because nothing anyone says is going to count for everyone you encounter

but as long as the word is a regular part of my vocabulary, i can't cop a bitch fit when someone uses it (in the context of celebrating our culture) when i'm not even doing my part to set an example.

Fucking exactly. Charlamagne always talks sense when it feels like everyone else has lost their mind.

Mr. X

Oct 25, 2017
My favorite response so far is if only black people can say it, just don't use it then.

Bulby

Prophet of Truth
Oct 29, 2017
Berlin
Seemed like it was handled well on all sides. Kid must of been out of her mind with adrenaline in that situation so I dont think she deserves any vitriol.

FreezerGeezer

Oct 25, 2017
Australia
I thought people have said that at other shows Kendrick encourages people, regardless of colour, to sing every lyric. That was just something I had read. Seems odd to go from that too getting a white person up on stage to sing a song containing that particular word multiple times and then shut them down.

Perhaps I heard wrong. Also sorry I have not read the entire thread so I apologise in advance.

And of course I believe using the word is wrong, before anyone jumps down my throat like this forum is very prone too do.

Ogre

Mar 26, 2018
Same old bizarre shit in this thread that happens every time white people get told they can't say the "n" word.

Like, other white folks, let's say you are listening to this Kendrick song on your phone without headphones. You are in a public space.

Would you skip/replace rapping the instances of the n-word if:

1.) You were alone?
2.) Only other white people were around?
3.) Other white people and a few black folks were present?
4.) Only African Americans were present?

If you say "no" to all four, you are basically an asshole, even if you are ignorant. Which you shouldn't be, because you just got told in this very thread, by black people even, that it is a shitty thing to do.

Otherwise, if you say "no" to anything at all, you admit that (racial) context matters, and that at the very minimum, you saying the n-word is a dickbag thing to do.

If you want to be upset about this reality where we can't say the n-word, be pissed at all the white people that ruined it for your apparently non-racist ass.

Call out other white people that pull any kind of White Chicks situation. Then possibly, in a dozen generations, maybe one of your post-apocalypse white progeny can rap every lyric on Damn without skipping "nigga" while they warm their hands over a chemical fire.

Einbroch

Oct 25, 2017
Just...don't say it. I don't know why it matters so much to whities. It's really not that hard, I promise.

That said, all parties involved seemed to handle this situations well, so that's good at least.

LightEntite

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Fucking exactly. Charlamagne always talks sense when it feels like everyone else has lost their mind.

I don't always agree with him, but it's really amazing how well he's able to zoom out to speak on a situation.

Speaking of...:

Extremely relevant to this conversation, as in the first few minutes he brings up this very situation

uncelestial

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
San Francisco, CA, USA
I must say I am guilty as a rap fan of letting it fly out of my mouth during karaoke. "Nuthin' But a G Thang" -- I didn't intend to and even said at the beginning "I don't know the clean version of this song, I loved this CD in high school; I'll do my best, bear with me" and I remembered to miss it the first time but after that it just came out because after all that word is just in your head if those are the lyrics and you can be in "recital mode" and not be using that split second of cognition you have during normal speech to put the tracks in front of the train. I just said "oh shit sorry!" and kept going. (The "sucka niggas mumble" bars move fast!) So, I can sympathize with her a bit and the people calling her a "piece of shit" should probably chill a little.

But, as awkward as you might presuppose that would be, the room, which was mixed, was feeling the song and I can rap pretty well and people were dancing and singing the chorus with me and there were honestly -- not just saying this -- no worries. Maybe because I was clearly torturing myself about it and it was funny, I dunno. A black dude who looked to be about 40 high fived me as I walked off the stage and (I think sincerely) was like "good job." It was a fairly older-crowd type of place, lots of people doing 90s songs and older people are just generally more desensitized or used to much worse.

A decade ago I will admit to just letting it fly with no thought whatsoever and not even thinking about it or apologizing or anything. Same reaction in the room near as my drunk ass/naive recollection can recall. The bar is being raised over time, definitely, but that's what's supposed to happen. That's what progress is. New sensitivity is required for inclusion to be a thing.

But just so black people know: We are totally singing those lyrics to ourselves in the car alone. Making sure nobody feels uncomfortable: fair enough. But I wouldn't be listening to it if I thought there was a racist intent behind the usage in the song so I'm just enjoying a song by myself in that situation near as I can tell. Curious what others would say tho.

"you shouldn't say N*"

"yeah well you shouldn't call every girl a bitch"

eyes_1f440.png
Now that would have been somethin to watch haha
Oh shiiiiiit

Last edited:

Burrman

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Charlamagnes got it.

AnansiThePersona

Started a revolution but the mic was unplugged
Oct 27, 2017
I'm totally for white people not saying the n-word but damn do I feel like Kendrick set this up to get more "woke" points. It's a bit weird.

Siggy-P

Avenger
Mar 18, 2018
Reading the comments here, people are making out like he ranted or went off at her.

In the video he plays it off with a bit of humour. He even says "you just gotta bleep one single word though." and let's her stay.

The woman though was really putting the emphasis on that hard R.

uncelestial

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
San Francisco, CA, USA

Man fuck Charlemange, I'm not about to take social cues from a fucking shock jock. Breakfast Club is entertaining and all but not exactly "enlightened." He's fucked up on this one, I'd be careful dude. White people shouldn't be taking cues from Howard Stern either.

It is pretty funny when he says Honey Boo Boo is a n**** to him though.

Deleted member 7051

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Jesus...it's not that complicated. Don't say the n-word as a white person. Ever, under no circumstances. Why are y'all playing dumb to not understand this?

Isn't it a little more complicated in this situation, though? He called up a white person on stage to sing a song he knows the lyrics to, then calls her out on using a word he knows is in those lyrics that he hasn't called out other people in the past for repeating.

He intentionally brought her on stage to embarrass her in front of millions of people (since it was obvious this would go viral). She was obviously a huge fan of the guy too so it was kind of a dick move. She's going to go home now and be "the girl that said the n-word on stage". Stuff like that can lose you your job in certain professions or make you a target for people who aren't so polite when white people use the n word.

He had a valid point but I disagree with his method of putting it across.

Codeblue

Oct 25, 2017
The idea that you can set a trap to make someone say that word is super funny to me. Some people instinctively avoid saying offensive things, others naturally blurt it out in front of Kendrick Lamar and his entire audience, there's really no way for him to tell which one he was bringing on stage.

Marvelous

Nov 3, 2017
the only problem i have with this is that "casual racism" in THIS context is something that is actually being perpetuated by Kendrick Lamar.

Regardless of whether or not the fan verbally said the word. what we just gonna pretend like the people in the crowd didn't know what the lyrics were? by inviting someone to sing the song, you're directly inviting them to say the lyrics, and the word is in the damn song. We're not talking about a club, or a house party, or some complex social setting. It's a concert devoted to the music, wherein a fan was hand-picked to participate.

this is the one instance, the one instance where i'm going to call policing of this word hypocritical. This isn't a situation of "why can't I use it when you're using it". It's "you're literally telling me to use it but getting mad when i use it".

she probably still should have had the common sense to NOT use it, but anyone actually getting mad at her for doing it at that point is just ridiculous imo
But you yourself state that "she should have had the common sense to not use it," so clearly even you understand that you shouldn't be saying this word out loud if you're not black. Ever. A lot of people think they can get away with saying it - they can't and they shouldn't. In this case, the white woman saying it is her lack of consideration and awareness; that she needs to think before she speaks, because as you have demonstrated, she also knows she shouldn't be saying it, ever. If that's something with no exceptions, then why is she saying it?

Kendrick is not perpetuating casual racism here as, well, he's not doing anything racist, but rather pointing out ingrained casual racism of American society by way of carelessness. He's using this incident (at this woman's expense) to make a point about the lack of awareness of non-black people around important black subjects. As previously mentioned, everyone knows it's not okay to say the n-word, ever, but by saying it here, this woman is employing something of a "well, this one time is okay" mentality. That exemplifies how racism is not just open bigotry, but also stems from a lack of care and consideration.

By inviting someone to sing the song, you are inviting them to say the lyrics, yes. But they should also have the consideration to realize their own actions as they're about to commit them, such as violating the golden rule of the n-word as I've stated so many times before. You said it yourself: the woman - the entire audience - knows the word and knows the implications to saying the word and that they shouldn't be saying it. Again, why are they trying to get away with it, then? The right act would not be to act with careless abandon and figure it out later, but instead to maybe ask ahead of time if what you're doing is okay. It is vehemently false to suggest, as you did, that "you're literally telling me to use it but getting mad when I use it," because no one told her to use this word. In fact, society deems that you absolutely shouldn't use this word, but somehow people think it's okay to do it anyway.

People need to stop running around with this initial mentality that everything in this world belongs to them until it doesn't.

julian

Oct 27, 2017
Rule of thumb for threads like this: Read. Don't post. No matter what you say, you're going to be wrong, or upset someone.

Seriously. I was trying so hard hard not to quote people while reading this thread...

...deleted a few since tensions seem high.

Always love to give this video a repost -
Whilst I still don't agree with the use of word in most cases as a black person. At the end of the day he's going to have fans from all over outside his primary target. It's down to individual fans to do their due diligence as a decent person and not say words they shouldn't.

I like Coates, but I did not like this clip. The audience member asked him to explain why you can't repeat song lyrics, but literally every example he gave was about direct communication between two people and how people address each other. He even goes so far as to explain how his wife and her friends call each other "bitch" but he knows he can't say it while repeatedly saying the word "bitch" - and he can do this because context and intent is what is actually important. Him saying it in this context is fine because he is not actually calling her a bitch. But his answer never gets into this.

It's a good answer, but to a completely different question that wasn't asked.

All N-word passes were rescinded when Trump got elected. We forgot to put a memo out.

Lol. Ok, probably the best answer.

alexiswrite

Oct 27, 2017

This is such bullshit. Respectability politics is trash. Any conversation about racism that implies that black people simply need to adopt a certain behaviour for racism to end is bullshit. That is aiming for a constantly moving goalpost. Why can't more white people just not say racist shit? Why is this so hard for people?

Skelepuzzle

Apr 17, 2018
this just in, white people not allowed to quote MLK.

I was referring to the pattern some threads seem to have, especially when telling black folks how to behave. Obey my selected quote of your leader! Checkmate.

I have a dream that one day my opinions will be judged not by the colour of the face that speaks them, but by the ignorance of their content.

At least this guy has a sense of humor.

fanboi

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Sweden
But you yourself state that "she should have had the common sense to not use it," so clearly even you understand that you shouldn't be saying this word out loud if you're not black. Ever. A lot of people think they can get away with saying it - they can't and they shouldn't. In this case, the white woman saying it is her lack of consideration and awareness; that she needs to think before she speaks, because as you have demonstrated, she also knows she shouldn't be saying it, ever. If that's something with no exceptions, then why is she saying it?

Kendrick is not perpetuating casual racism here as, well, he's not doing anything racist, but rather pointing out ingrained casual racism of American society by way of carelessness. He's using this incident (at this woman's expense) to make a point about the lack of awareness of non-black people around important black subjects. As previously mentioned, everyone knows it's not okay to say the n-word, ever, but by saying it here, this woman is employing something of a "well, this one time is okay" mentality. That exemplifies how racism is not just open bigotry, but also stems from a lack of care and consideration.

By inviting someone to sing the song, you are inviting them to say the lyrics, yes. But they should also have the consideration to realize their own actions as they're about to commit them, such as violating the golden rule of the n-word as I've stated so many times before. You said it yourself: the woman - the entire audience - knows the word and knows the implications to saying the word and that they shouldn't be saying it. Again, why are they trying to get away with it, then? The right act would not be to act with careless abandon and figure it out later, but instead to maybe ask ahead of time if what you're doing is okay. It is vehemently false to suggest, as you did, that "you're literally telling me to use it but getting mad when I use it," because no one told her to use this word. In fact, society deems that you absolutely shouldn't use this word, but somehow people think it's okay to do it anyway.

People need to stop running around with this initial mentality that everything in this world belongs to them until it doesn't.

In this scenario, I don't really fault her for using it since:

1) She was invited to sing a long
2) I mean, you are brought up by your idol and most likley isn't in your right state of mind due to the pressure (selfawareness), and you have thousands of people watching

But in general, yes, you are correct, but I don't agree on this instance.

Musubi

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's really very easy to not use that word. And lol at the "but he tricked her!" sentiment. Maybe he didn't want to assume that a random white fan is a piece of shit.

Edit: If you are offended by "piece of shit," insert whatever word you want for white people that use the n word. If this caused her to stop using it, then she is no longer <insert term>. It's that simple.

Edit:
"It's a publicity setup!" "He baited her!" "Well if they don't want her to say it then don't use it yourself"

Ask yourself why you aren't saying that white people just shouldn't say it.

They shouldn't. But it's still an awkward as fuck situation for the fan. Especially when the song in question so prominently uses the word.

Marvelous

Nov 3, 2017
In this scenario, I don't really fault her for using it since:

1) She was invited to sing a long
2) I mean, you are brought up by your idol and most likley isn't in your right state of mind (don't mind the thousands of people watching).

But in general, yes, you are correct, but I don't agree on this instance.
I personally don't blame her or think less of her for doing it in the heat of the moment, but I think the point of the scenario is that we as a society need to be more aware of this kind of thing than we are right now.

Deleted member 268

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's not hard to not say the word.

It doesn't belong to everyone.

For those of you who smugly proclaim how you don't care, I hope for your sakes you aren't stupid enough to keep that same energy in your real lives, because I promise you that will not end well.

Sooner or later you're gonna run into the right one.

SageShinigami

Oct 27, 2017

This place gets pretty upset when CTG comes up, so let's get Charlamagne's revised version:

Includes the same clip you showed.

CrackPebbles

Oct 25, 2017

My stance is anyone who isnt black should not be saying it, regardless of context. And I think in this specific context, Kendrick used his platform to make it a point that his white fans shouldn't be saying it even if its off his lyrics.

I dont agree at all. Its not the responsibility of any black person to not say the N word as to "set an example" for anyone else. even if they are only using it "in the context of celebrating our culture" How about they just...not say it? Because they aren't black.

I'm also kinda concerned by the posts agreeing with charlamagne here.

shaneo632

Weekend Planner
Oct 29, 2017
Wrexham, Wales
Sounds like nobody overreacted and it was resolved reasonably. I used to think it was OK to say "nigga" when rapping (I'm white), with no racist intent on my part. I learned it wasn't and changed my behaviour accordingly. Doesn't mean either side is a P.O.S.

Baji Boxer

Chicken Chaser
Oct 27, 2017
I'm totally for white people not saying the n-word but damn do I feel like Kendrick set this up to get more "woke" points. It's a bit weird.
I don't get it. Kendrick Lamar doesn't need to show people he's "woke" regarding that word.

He told her proper etiquette, she appologized, she got to finish the song. Everyone was friendly and his opinion on the matter goes viral. I think it's pretty obvious what he gets out of it. The outrage from some is super weird.

Status
Not open for further replies.