• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

RBH

Official ERA expert on Third Party Football
Nov 2, 2017
At the request of some people, just creating a new thread for this since not everyone regularly follows the wrestling threads.

kennyaew.jpg

Dy2ufb5UUAAoZDN.jpg:small

The hottest free agent in professional wrestling is officially off the market. Ahead of its inaugural event, Double or Nothing, set to take place in Las Vegas on May 25, All Elite Wrestling held a ticket announcement rally outside the MGM Grand Garden Arena with a plethora of fans in attendance on Thursday night. To close the event, Elite founding member and former IWGP heavyweight champion Kenny Omega was revealed as the latest addition to the talent roster -- but that was not the only surprise. As Omega walked out through the adoring fans, the chryon at the bottom of the screen noted that he also holds the same title within the company as Cody Rhodes and the Young Bucks: executive vice president.

Omega, 35, was the most sought after free agent in recent memory. With his New Japan Pro-Wrestling contract expiring on Jan. 31, it was common knowledge that his decision would come down to joining his friends on their AEW venture or accepting what was said to be a more-than-lucrative offer from WWE. In the end, as most of us expected, Omega will continue his quest to "change the world" with those he's closest with. Omega is coming off arguably the best year of his career in 2018, where he captured the IWGP heavyweight title in June from Kazuchika Okada in an instant classic 2-out-of-3 falls match. He dropped the title to the legendary Hiroshi Tanahashi at Wrestle Kingdom 13 in the main event, signaling that he was on his way out of the promotion.

This is professional wrestling, though, so the announcement of Omega's addition did not go off without a hitch. As the ex-Bullet Club leader was about to give his signature sign-off, former Wrestle Kingdom opponent and fellow big-name AEW signee Chris Jericho rudely interrupted. There were no words shared on the microphone, but of course, a shoving match ensued before the two were pulled away from one another to close the festivities.

While no official announcement was made, the confrontation between Omega and Jericho seemed to point toward their Wrestle Kingdom 12 rematch taking place at Double or Nothing on May 25th in the MGM Grand Garden Arena. More signings were also revealed by AEW on Thursday, including that of the Lucha Brothers, Pentagon and Rey Fenix.
https://www.cbssports.com/wwe/news/...-double-or-nothing-card-begins-to-take-shape/

Kenny Omega opened up recently about the contract negotations that led him to signing with AEW.

In an interview with Dave Meltzer and Garrett Gonzales, which you can see a clip of below, Omega talked about negotiating with WWE, AEW and New Japan. He mentioned that negotiating with WWE was more pleasant than people had previously told him.

"The most surprising thing to me was just how accommodating and how cool it was to discuss, you know, future with WWE" he told them. "I didn't think they'd ever be in the running. I was like 'yeah, I'll hear you guys out' but I didn't think it'd be good because everyone was telling me, well, what to expect."

"I have nothing but great things to say about them," he added, "but in the end, AEW was the best thing for me and, you know, it's the most exciting choice I've made in my career."

Omega also said he's signed a four-year deal with AEW, and that he would be allowed to appear in New Japan if he wants to and if NJPW will have him.

"I have it specifically written in my contract that I can go anytime I want and appear for New Japan Pro Wrestling." he stated.

You can hear a clip of the interview below, and subscribers can listen to the full interview here where Omega talks about his upcoming documentary, his recent feud with Hiroshi Tanahashi, Kota Ibushi, video game fans and wrestling fans plus more.
https://www.f4wonline.com/other-wre...ew-contract-details-talks-njpw-and-wwe-276516

Last edited:

APOEERA

Oct 26, 2017
AEW is a better choice right now. WWE would have him at Wrestlemania, then maybe a few title matches after that and a few big matches then doing fuck all for the rest of year until they remember they have him.

Bronx-Man

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Best move he could've made. WWE would've wasted him and he was starting to get dull at the end of his title reign in NJPW.

Protome

Oct 27, 2017
About time they started signing some Japanese talent.

I love Kenny Omega. This has the potential to be really good for him

Burly

Oct 25, 2017
He's got a corporate job now, he needs to start going by a more professional name.

Kenneth O. Mega,
Executive Vice President of All Elite Wrestling

PSqueak

Oct 25, 2017
He's wrestled as Kenny Omega since he started wrestling in the early 2000s, that wasn't a thing he came up with in New Japan and it's definitely not a thing they hold rights to

Oh, i wasn't aware his persona predated his time at the NJPW, it's cool that he holds the rights to his own character.

Im so used to reading about how wrestlers have to change their personas from promotion to promotion because the characters are owned by the promotions rather than the wrestlers.

Snake Eater

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
User Banned (2 days): Threadwhining, derail.
This needed a thread? He's not exactly a household name to anyone but wrestling fans who follow the dirt sheets

OP
OP
RBH

RBH

Nov 2, 2017
Also, his documentary will premiere next month on TSN in Canada:

Late last year, details broke about a Kenny Omega documentary that would likely be centered around love life and story with Kota Ibushi now, Canada's TSN has released new information. The documentary will premiere on Wednesday, Mar. 27 at 7:30 pm (ET):

OMEGA MAN: A WRESTLING LOVE STORY (Wednesday, Mar. 27 at 7:30 p.m. ET) – Winnipegger Kenny Omega brought beauty, intimacy, and gay-friendly messages to the macho world of wrestling. He also happens to be the best wrestler on the planet that you never heard of. OMEGA MAN: A WRESTLING LOVE STORY introduces Canada to this unknown superstar and his phenomenal rise to stardom, as he turns the international wrestling industry upside-down. OMEGA MAN is produced by Jocumentary Productions Inc. in association with Bell Media, directed by Yung Chang, and produced by Dale Burshtein.

Trailer: https://www.tsn.ca/engraved

OP
OP
RBH

RBH

Nov 2, 2017

Pharaoh

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 27, 2017
That's for the best. Wouldn't want for him to waste his talent in current WWE. AEW have a good pool of talent (obviously still needs more), let's see what they do about booking and compeling storylines.

He's wrestled as Kenny Omega since he started wrestling in the early 2000s, that wasn't a thing he came up with in New Japan and it's definitely not a thing they hold rights to

He came up with that name when he was still a teenager.

SageShinigami

Oct 27, 2017
This needed a thread? He's not exactly a household name to anyone but wrestling fans who follow the dirt sheets

Literally zero chance you don't know who Kenny Omega is if you watch wrestling outside of WWE. So are we only making WWE wrassling threads now?

Oh, i wasn't aware his persona predated his time at the NJPW, it's cool that he holds the rights to his own character.

Im so used to reading about how wrestlers have to change their personas from promotion to promotion because the characters are owned by the promotions rather than the wrestlers.

So far as I know, this is largely just a WWE thing.

Snake Eater

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The literal first sentence said some people requested a thread so he made one. Regardless of if you're a WWE Fan or just someone who just likes randomly posting in threads just to ask why they're needed, the shitposting looks the same from here either way and deserved called out

Like I said, calm down. I'm a fan of Kenny Omega, just made a comment and wasn't trying "shitpost" like you're accusing me of. Quoting me over and over doesn't help

Heromanz

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

That's only the case in WWE.

Host Samurai

Oct 27, 2017
If they get a video game deal, I bet it will be like an AKI game. AEW seems to be hitting all the right notes for me.

Luschient

Oct 30, 2017
Dat thread heat

Gotta say, as watered down as they probably would have been, I really wanted to see Omega with Styles, Bryan, Ali, and hell even Lesnar. Oh well, AEW really wouldn't have made sense without him.

Interesting hearing about how the negotiations with WWE were better than he expected. Wonder who all was in the room for those?