• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Hella

Oct 27, 2017
Quietly tucked away in the updates for Lo-Fi Games' first title, Kenshi, was an announcement that their secret next-game was in fact Kenshi 2:

Future Plans...
Now, our original plan was to keep the new project quiet so we could work on it without public pressure and then do a big press release when we had something to show. However it seems lots of people are getting confused or angry about us not still tinkering with Kenshi or leaving the world of Kenshi behind, so I'm going to go ahead and announce early what we are working on now, as I think it will put most people at ease.

We are starting work now on Kenshi 2!
  • It will be set 1000 years in the past, during the time of the "Old Empire" and reveal more of the world's lore and history.
  • It will be based on the same code-base and engine.
  • The engine will be upgraded to the latest version of Ogre, which should drastically improve performance.
  • Why keep the same engine? Because a completely new engine would break everything and take another million years to finish. By sticking with the same code we are making the descision to prioritise gameplay instead of graphics. (Not to mention a much faster release date)
  • The work we do on the engine upgrade will also be applied to Kenshi 1 as a free update.
  • Other core improvements or small features achieved in Kenshi 2 could also potentially be applied to Kenshi 1 as free updates.
Now, considering it took something like 11 years to develop Kenshi, hopefully using an existing codebase and engine will speed up development considerably.

As to what Kenshi 2 might conceivably be, this timeline suggests that 1,000 years ago, the factions of Kenshi were less divided, but more hostile to one-another. The future holds great upheals based on the animosity of this era.

And if you're still here wondering "But, Hella, what's Kenshi?" Well, it's kinda like a super hardcore take on the Bethesda-style of RPG--this thread on Era gives a good overview. It is one of the most open and immersive RPGs out there, set in a post-apocalyptic world where every action could be your last--literally. The sequel will presumably be similar.

May 18, 2018
Kenshi is a great game and I'm looking forward to this in 2033. I kid of course. I need to download it again to search through that area that was closed during the early access days

Deleted member 13645

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Oh hell yeah, i'm definitely in for a Kenshi 2. Been playing a ton of 1 recently and it's such a weird, hard, but amazing game.

garion333

Oct 27, 2017
Whelp, time to install the original and actually play it. I played the alpha waaaaaay back when as I bought into the Alpha on GamersGate, believe it or not. Just transferred my key and I'm ready to do this!

Devs want feedback on what to work on (K1 remake vs K2)
OP
OP
Hella

Hella

Oct 27, 2017
Since the Unreal engine announcement, the devs are now taking player feedback on whether they should remake Kenshi 1 in Unreal, or continue forward with Kenshi 2:

So far the lion's share of players opted for Kenshi 2.

The reason this is so relevant is because Lofi games' (the devs) original plan was to backport some improvements from Kenshi 2 into Kenshi 1, but now with the differing engines that's basically impossible. So they're giving players a chance to make their voices heard.
Whelp, time to install the original and actually play it. I played the alpha waaaaaay back when as I bought into the Alpha on GamersGate, believe it or not. Just transferred my key and I'm ready to do this!
Little late, but heads up there's a de facto Kenshi OT if you want to post about your experiences playing!

Gotta funnel every Kenshi player I can into that thread. It's always so fun to read their stories.

Deleted member 419

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Kenshi 2 for sure, from what I've played the first game is great as-is, remaking it just for some additional engine-related bells and whistles is a waste.