• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

GK86

Oct 25, 2017
Link.

Kentucky on Friday became the first U.S. state to require that Medicaid recipients work or get jobs training, after gaining federal approval for the fundamental change to the 50-year-old health insurance program for the poor.

Kentucky's waiver, submitted for federal approval in 2016, requires able-bodied adult recipients to participate in at least 80 hours per month of "employment activities," including jobs training, education and community service.

Most recipients must pay a premium based on income. Some who miss a payment or fail to re-enroll will be locked out for six months. The new rules will go into effect in July, Kentucky state officials said.

"Kentucky will now lead on this issue," Governor Matt Bevin said at a news conference on Friday. "They want the dignity associated with being able to earn and have engagement in the very things they're receiving," he said of Medicaid recipients.

Certain groups are exempt, including former foster care youth, pregnant women, primary caregivers of a dependent, full-time students and the medically frail. The Trump administration also said states would have to make "reasonable modifications" for those battling opioid addiction and other substance-use disorders.

Kentucky, along with 30 other states, expanded Medicaid to those earning up to 138 percent of the federal poverty level under the Affordable Care Act, former Democratic President Barack Obama's signature domestic policy achievement commonly called Obamacare.

More than 400,000 Kentucky residents gained health insurance through the program, the highest growth rate of Medicaid coverage of any state.

Among adult Medicaid recipients aged 18 to 64, 60 percent already have jobs, according to the Kaiser Family Foundation health policy research group. Most adult Medicaid recipients who do not work reported major impediments as the reason, according to Kaiser.

Zip

Oct 28, 2017
So how much will be spent on trying to enforce this for reasons, rather than just give support to those who need it?

LastNac

Oct 30, 2017
One thing that I love from being from Lexington is that it's one of just two progressive cities in the state.

Oct 27, 2017
Get fucked trump supporters that rely on this. No sympathy/empathy from me.

Everybody else, godspeed. Hope you don't lose your health coverage.

Raxus

Oct 26, 2017
Matt Bevin is really pretty evil. I am ashamed we elected him.

Didn't realize there were other GAFers who were in KY lol.

Oct 27, 2017
This is what the """moderates"""" of the GOP have wanted, for decades. This is what modern Conservatism is.

The GOP is a fascist organization. It must be destroyed and its ashes buried in a lead-lined casket

Exellus

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Get fucked trump supporters that rely on this. No sympathy/empathy from me.

Everybody else, godspeed. Hope you don't lose your health coverage.

I'm 31. So this isn't for me for a long time. However, I hope that 30 years from now, this shit is well and truly resolved and better. I feel bad for people retiring anytime soon.

Edit: Sorry, this is Medicaid, not Medicare. Still, it's garbage.

Matt Bevin is really pretty evil. I am ashamed we elected him.

Didn't realize there were other GAFers who were in KY lol.

Lexington here.

Vas

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
OH damn, this won't be a disaster.

Pray for us, guys. So many of our people live in areas of appalachia devastated by the decline of the coal industry and there isn't much hope for them.

Is the state going to pay for and provide said job-training? Or is it 'lol, fuck you, redneck?" Knowing Matt Bevin and his disdain for Appalachian folk, I wouldn't doubt it is the latter.

Exellus

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
OH damn, this won't be a disaster.

Pray for us, guys. So many of our people live in areas of appalachia devastated by the decline of the coal industry and there isn't much hope for them.

Is the state going to pay for and provide said job-training? Or is it 'lol, fuck you, redneck?" Knowing Matt Bevin and his disdain for Appalachian folk, I wouldn't doubt it is the latter.

And they're the people that voted for him. It blows the mind.

Raxus

Oct 26, 2017
I'm 31. So this isn't for me for a long time. However, I hope that 30 years from now, this shit is well and truly resolved and better. I feel bad for people retiring anytime soon.

Lexington here.
Working downtown it is staggering how many patients rely on Medicaid and have trouble holding down a job. Hell our hospitals already feel like they were on the verge of collapse BEFORE this took effect.

Louisville BTW.

Sulik2

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Seriously, the way red states are willing to go against their own interests is truly spectacular. You know the propaganda is good when the people vote to harm themselves.

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
I like how they use "dignity", why should there be shamed associated with using the government?

Ithil

Oct 25, 2017
Seriously, the way red states are willing to go against their own interests is truly spectacular. You know the propaganda is good when the people vote to harm themselves.
They are taught literally the opposite of reality. Like they think red states are rich and support poor blue states, even though it's the exact opposite of that in reality, because propaganda tells them that.

RDreamer

Oct 25, 2017
Really pretty shit that people don't have the foresight to see what a dumb idea this is. Taking away medical care from people who need it just means they'll skip important things and we'll still end up paying the bill when they really need it later on.

Raxus

Oct 26, 2017
Both politicians were offering pie in the sky promises to help coal and the truth is the drug problem and dying industry has led to this point and it is getting overwhelming. It has been reaching critical mass for some time I feel. A good job retraining, social programs, and clean energy initiative would do wonders for us but alas that ain't happening any time soon. The only positive piece of legislation I heard is the 1 dollar tax increase on cigarettes being floated around.

Aselith

Oct 27, 2017
Don't worry if you can't find work anywhere else. They have a job for you in the deathlife camps.

Vas

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
First and foremost, we need to solve the drug problem. It is ruining every family in Eastern Kentucky. And I mean EVERY family. It's that pervasive. Stiffer jail sentences are not working. We need to accept that it's just not bad people who get addicted... its a plague that can't be stopped by throwing sick people in prison.

Oct 27, 2017
And many of then will probably vote for the GOP again.

The GOP has convinced its ignorant cult following that Democratic administrations are prima fascia illegitimate.

When Conservatism learns to love their children, more than they hate Liberals, perhaps they'll grow the fuck up and we can start treating them like adults, rather than rabid weasels

Salmonax

Oct 27, 2017
"Kentucky will now lead on this issue," Governor Matt Bevin said at a news conference on Friday. "They want the dignity associated with being able to earn and have engagement in the very things they're receiving," he said of Medicaid recipients.

I wonder what his thoughts are on Kentucky ranking #3 in federal subsidy. Should we cut the state off so they can enjoy "the dignity associated with being able to earn and have engagement in the very things they're receiving?"

Quixzlizx

Oct 25, 2017
Both politicians were offering pie in the sky promises to help coal and the truth is the drug problem and dying industry has led to this point and it is getting overwhelming. It has been reaching critical mass for some time I feel. A good job retraining, social programs, and clean energy initiative would do wonders for us but alas that ain't happening any time soon. The only positive piece of legislation I heard is the 1 dollar tax increase on cigarettes being floated around.
Who do you mean by "both politicians?"

LycanXIII

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
And they're the people that voted for him. It blows the mind.
Most of my family lives at the end of the Mountain Parkway. Most of them are pretty smart with voting, and then there's the one's that show up to Thanksgiving wearing a MAGA hat. I'm so glad my dad left there for Lexington.

HStallion

Oct 25, 2017
All the GOP has to do is say that minorities take advantage and these people will be frothing at the mouth to fuck themselves in the ass with broken glass

Oct 25, 2017
Louisville, Kentucky
KentuckyERA, Louisville division here.

Go figure that the state that was one of the biggest success stories for the ACA, particularly the Medicaid expansion, is also one of the first to try to completely destroy it.

What's even more frustrating is that this is going to disproportionately affect the poor rural whites in the southern and eastern parts of the state... the same regions and people who voted for both Trump and Bevin.

But that's what happens when we elect one of those prosperity gospel pseudo-libertarian evangelical types for governor.

TinfoilHatsROn

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
How much shit has to be wrong with you to be considered "medical frail"?
You have to vote Republican.
*bah dum tish*

Christ. How much money is going to be wasted on enforcing this? How many people will suffer from not being able to meet the requirements? This doesn't even remotely feel like it was thought through.