• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

applejuice

Oct 27, 2017
Tampa, FL
Whats going to happen to those who live in middle of nowhere towns and might not have cars (or a reliable car) and there is no public transportation? I assume all this "training" will happen in big cities with higher populations. Republicans are leaving these people to rot. Disgusting.

Oct 27, 2017
This could use its own thread, but the Governor of Kentucky has issued an executive order that will end Medicaid expansion if the courts strike down the work requirements.

https://www.courier-journal.com/sto...vin-plan-courts-approve-lose-care/1036514001/

this fucking cunt
Gov. Matt Bevin has issued an executive order that would strip Medicaid coverage from nearly half a million Kentuckians should his proposed overhaul of the federal-state health plan be struck down in court

Torpedo Vegas

Oct 27, 2017
Parts Unknown.
I wish we could kick the mountains out of the state. They ruin everything cause they want coal to be a thing again.

Lexington needs to expand toward Louisville and Louisville towards Lexington and try to form a new state.

Version 3.0

Oct 27, 2017
Hopefully this leads to some people reconsidering who they vote for. It's astounding that an (R) vote could actually kill you if you're poor, and they still win.

Bramblebutt

Banned
Jan 11, 2018
So let me get this straight: if I end up grievously ill to the point of not being able to work, I will no longer receive financial assistance for my medical care? Why not just tell me to fuck off and die while you're at it? There MUST be some special provision for this particular situation. I refuse to believe they missed this.

HStallion

Oct 25, 2017
So let me get this straight: if I end up grievously ill to the point of not being able to work, I will no longer receive financial assistance for my medical care? Why not just tell me to fuck off and die while you're at it? There MUST be some special provision for this particular situation. I refuse to believe they missed this.

They didn't miss anything. This is part of their parties agenda

Damaniel

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Portland, OR
"Kentucky will now lead on this issue," Governor Matt Bevin said at a news conference on Friday.

Kentucky sure has a strange definition of 'lead'.

I hate to say it, but considering the Presidental election results (hell, that state's election results in general), this is what residents of Kentucky wanted. Hopefully too many won't have to get sick or die before they realize how wrong they were.

LegendofJoe

Oct 28, 2017
Arkansas, USA
Massive job loss from automation + no medical care + guns = profit?

If we can't trade back control of the country from the far right things are going to get scary in the next decade.

Depends on how work requirements are administered. For example in the over-burdened social security disability administration, disability judges interview people to grill them and determine if it sounds like there's any possible way they can perform some kind of work. You have to stand there and convince someone you're really half-dead and not just foolin'.

The nasty trick of course is that any number of hoops and gotchas can be set up to kick people out of healthcare. Can't work? Then you do community service. It's 30 miles away and you don't have a car or gas money? Not our problem, take the bus. No bus service? Not our problem, ask a friend to drive you. Nobody can? Oh go die already, America doesn't need leeches like you.

Waffles

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Kentucky sure has a strange definition of 'lead'.

I hate to say it, but considering the Presidental election results (hell, that state's election results in general), this is what residents of Kentucky wanted. Hopefully too many won't have to get sick or die before they realize how wrong they were.

It's one of those "socialized healthcare is bad and you're leeching off the government - yes I'm on Medicaid" or "it's only bad when other people do it" sort of things.

Mammoth Jones

Oct 25, 2017
New York
Seems like a reasonable requirement. I wonder what able body means.

Physically able to do work. For example in NY I had a back injury. I couldn't do MY job anymore that required physical labor. But I was cleared for desk work. Which is what I due now due to the injury.

I do know of some people that absolutely game the system w/ fake injuries or over-exaggerated injuries but while those SHOULD be dealt with I feel that's a smokescreen in order to rail against the stereotypical "Welfare Queen" and make broad changes that fucks over people that really may need such help. Kentucky about to learn about that life.

Volimar

volunteer forum janitor
Oct 25, 2017
They could be locked out for six months without Medicaid? That's literally a death sentence for people who need those medications to survive. Even something like blood thinners and high blood pressure medicine can be fatal if you're forced to go off it suddenly and for long periods.

Mammoth Jones

Oct 25, 2017
New York
"Dignity" is one of those words that's been transformed in my head by politics.

I now hear it as "we are going to screw the poor so, so hard"

It's all about the marketing. They're right, there IS dignity in work. I've seen how low people can get when they can't find a job and they really are trying. Shit and my last stint of unemployment was considered short. Imagine a year. Two.

But they take a truth and use it to tell lies.

They could be locked out for six months without Medicaid? That's literally a death sentence for people who need those medications to survive. Even something like blood thinners and high blood pressure medicine can be fatal if you're forced to go off it suddenly and for long periods.

Work for your gruel, man-animal!

Waffles

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
It's all about the marketing. They're right, there IS dignity in work. I've seen how low people can get when they can't find a job and they really are trying. Shit and my last stint of unemployment was considered short. Imagine a year. Two.

But they take a truth and use it to tell lies.

Work for your gruel, man-animal!

It's especially worse because they are so hypocritical about it. GOP believe poor or disabled people simultaneously do not want to work (so lets kick them off the government teat) and want to work (so let's require them to work to get those benefits, and also take a portion of their already low wages).

LegendofJoe

Oct 28, 2017
Arkansas, USA
"Dignity" is one of those words that's been transformed in my head by politics.

I now hear it as "we are going to screw the poor so, so hard"

Didn't you know that there's dignity in putting a bullet through your skull because you can't afford healthcare and don't qualify for aid?

Shit like this is why the people who are saying American society is ripe for massive instability are correct. The wealth cult running this country are seriously out of touch with where the economy is going.

Volimar

volunteer forum janitor
Oct 25, 2017

Subxero

Oct 25, 2017
United States
Its unfortunate that this is what a lot of ignorant rural people here want. The funny thing is it will affect them the most. Bevin and the GOP are the worst. Everything hes done puts so many people, especially the elderly and the poor in danger.

I do my part to vote against this garbage every chance I get.

I'm currently going through tests for a neurological condition I've had that's progressively gotten worse the past 10 years. I've used the Medicaid the past two years to try to get a diagnosis. It could be spinal, CTE, or hopefully not some kind of MS. When I lose this coverage I'm pretty much fucked.

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
Louisville, Kentucky
This could use its own thread, but the Governor of Kentucky has issued an executive order that will end Medicaid expansion if the courts strike down the work requirements.

https://www.courier-journal.com/sto...vin-plan-courts-approve-lose-care/1036514001/

There could well be a lot of dead Kentuckians over this if it actually goes through.

The GOP is literally targeting and killing their own voting base. This proposal won't affect people in Louisville and Lexington nearly as much as it does poor rural counties that overwhelmingly voted Republican.

HStallion

Oct 25, 2017
There could well be a lot of dead Kentuckians over this if it actually goes through.

The GOP is literally targeting and killing their own voting base. This proposal won't affect people in Louisville and Lexington nearly as much as it does poor rural counties that overwhelmingly voted Republican.

Don't worry the GOP will mention minorities being lazy and mooching off of the whites and they'll be all gung ho for it.

Parthenios

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
KentuckyERA here. Bevin is a piece of work and is a little would-be banana republic despot like Trump. These ex-business people "politicians" are the ducking worst.

DevilMayGuy

Oct 25, 2017
Texas
As someone who was on unemployment earlier this last year (laid off at my oil and gas engineering job), spending that kind of time doing job search activities is actually pretty tough. There are only so many jobs to apply to (in the oil industry that was maybe one or two jobs a week), which I suspect are minimal in rural areas where many Medicaid recipients reside. This is a punitive measure that will cost more to implement than it saves and will needlessly harm some of the most vulnerable people in the nation.

NinjaScooter

Oct 25, 2017
"Kentucky will now lead on this issue," Governor Matt Bevin said at a news conference on Friday. "They want the dignity associated with being able to earn and have engagement in the very things they're receiving," he said of Medicaid recipients.

I wonder what his thoughts are on Kentucky ranking #3 in federal subsidy. Should we cut the state off so they can enjoy "the dignity associated with being able to earn and have engagement in the very things they're receiving?"

That's the red state MO. They love to talk about accountability and "boot straps" yet they consistently take the most and give back the least.

Bakercat

Oct 27, 2017
'merica
As a kentuckian who knows so many here, this is gonna be awful. I'm on Medicaid right now due to being on disability and being a full time student, so it won't effect myself to my knowledge, but the majority of those that are also are poor single parent homes. If you force a single mother to work 80 hours a month she will make too much to afford Medicaid for her and her kids. Plus, most jobs here only hire part time, so she more than likely won't get healthcare or any other benefits from the job. A lot of people are gonna be going to the ER for medical care and not be able to pay it when it comes in the mail.

Fuck Matt Bevin you Trump wannabe. Can't wait to vote your ass out.

beelzebozo

Oct 26, 2017
kentuckian here. i hate bevin and hope someday the people in this state learn their lesson about republicans.

i love the people here, and i love this place, but the people i love fuck themselves.

Bakercat

Oct 27, 2017
'merica

As a guy who is sick a lot and is constantly in and out of doctors a lot, this scares and angers me way too much. If I didn't have Medicaid I wouldn't be able to get medical help at all. Risking half a million people's health and safety because he was told no.