• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Exellus

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Mike Broihier

Kentucky Democrats will have more options on next year's ballot when deciding who should take on Senate Republican Leader Mitch McConnell in 2020.

Farmer and retired Marine Mike Broihier (pronounced Broy-er), a first-time candidate, entered the race Thursday with a three-minute advertisement that calls on voters to forget their labels.

"It's time to retire Mitch McConnell," Broihier said in an interview with the Courier Journal this week. "We have to do it to restore our democracy, and I've been warned about what he's capable of doing, but it doesn't scare me."

The spot features a diverse group of Kentuckians holding tiny chalkboards with different slurs and descriptions, such as "baby killer" and "hillbilly" and "queer."

"Labels are powerful things," Broihier says in the ad. "For 35 years, Mitch McConnell has used labels to reinforce old prejudices, divide us, to maintain his grip on power."

OP's Note: This is in addition to the announcement of Amy McGrath (D), who argued that McConnell needs to go because he's hindering things Trump is trying to do. She raised over $2.5 million in 2 weeks IIRC.

PLEASE HELP US DITCH MITCH!

Signed,

A pissed off Kentucky Liberal

Edit:

Here's his website:

Last edited:
Nov 2, 2017

McGrath's basic pitch for her candidacy was "Mitch McConnell is doing a shitty job of implementing the things Trump wants". She's worried about the current slate of Presidential candidates being too far left, and she said at first she would have voted for Kavanaugh for the Supreme Court before someone explained how bad that was and she had to retract it.

Reminder, she's running for the Democratic nomination, not challenging Mitch for the Republican nomination.

OP
OP
Exellus

Exellus

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
McGrath's basic pitch for her candidacy was "Mitch McConnell is doing a shitty job of implementing the things Trump wants". She's worried about the current slate of Presidential candidates being too far left, and she said at first she would have voted for Kavanaugh for the Supreme Court before someone explained how bad that was and she had to retract it.

Reminder, she's running for the Democratic nomination, not challenging Mitch for the Republican nomination.

Yeah..............I do not see that going well in the general...... Like.....if they want a R they just vote for McConnell you know?

Bakercat

Oct 27, 2017
'merica
As a Kentuckian, I hope He wins. Sadly, Mitch ain't going nowhere. I'm just hoping atm that Bevin gets shitcanned.

Oct 25, 2017
Brooklyn, NY

not sure which explanation for the Kavanaugh flip-flop is worse: that she didn't have a prepared explanation for the Kavanaugh question, even though it would obviously be a huge issue in the race, and she said off-the-cuff that she would have supported him even though it contradicted everything she said on the subject last year; or that her highly paid DC consultants advised her to say that she would have supported Kavanaugh, even though that contradicted her own past statements, but somehow failed to anticipate that this would result in a massive backlash from national Dems that would force her into (another) embarrassing flip-flop on the subject.

and while I don't expect her to run on a far-left platform in KY, I have no idea who "I'd be more effective at passing Trump's agenda than Kavanaugh" is supposed to appeal to; it'll demotivate voters who don't like Trump while failing to convince any of the MAGA crowd.

Deleted member 8257

Oct 26, 2017
McGrath is not going to win so this is good news.

Netherscourge

Oct 25, 2017
The only good news is that if McConnell loses, the person taking his seat won't be elected the Senate Leader, regardless of their party affiliation.

Turtle has been blocking floor votes almost altogether unless it's got Trump's support retroactively.

Sure some asshole dinosaur Republican from another state might get the nod, if they hold the majority, but there's always hope with a different person there.

OP
OP
Exellus

Exellus

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
The only good news is that if McConnell loses, the person taking his seat won't be elected the Senate Leader, regardless of their party affiliation.

Turtle has been blocking floor votes almost altogether unless it's got Trump's support retroactively.

Sure some asshole dinosaur Republican from another state might get the nod, if they hold the majority, but there's always hope with a different person there.

Well, this farmer is a Dem, so hopefully the Senate Leader is a democrat after 2020, lol.

samoyed

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I was actually hoping he'd be Republican to stand a greater chance.

But yes, please, godspeed.

Strike

Oct 25, 2017
If there's any chance we could pry his old, decrepit hands from the levers of power we should take it. Let's make some turtle soup.

LycanXIII

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Well, at least he's looking better than McGrath right now. She would be destroyed in the Primary when Trump supports McConnell.

Camwi

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It'd be nice if he won, but much like IronStache trying to take Paul Ryan's old seat, it's so fucking hard to pull these people away from their brainwashed ways.

SaberVS7

Oct 25, 2017
Would you rather 10 Democrats and 90 Republicans in the Senate or 10 progressive Democrats, 50 moderates Democrats, and 40 Republicans?

50 D's are worthless if they're all voting R.

05-20-joe-lieberman-fbi.jpg

Oct 26, 2017
South Carolina
Chance of winning: non-zero, but not good by any means.

Chance of eating up resources that are needed in the easier Senate races? Much better.

Oh yes the good ole 50 state strategy. That won't help the dem party moving forward

2014 called, it wants its tactics-over-strategy back.

It'd be nice if he won, but much like IronStache trying to take Paul Ryan's old seat, it's so fucking hard to pull these people away from their brainwashed ways.

He was actually doing real well....

...until Spinelss Fraud Extrordinaire Ryan announced his retirement and he washed out against some no-name businessman.

Mariachi507

Oct 26, 2017
Thank God, another option besides McGrath. She wants to follow the whole, "let's run a confusing campaign that caters towards conservatives" stupid shit that cost us last time.

danm999

Oct 29, 2017
Sydney
Running as a Democrat arguing McConnell is opposing Trump too much sure is some galaxy brain shit from McGrath so I hope this guy does well.

Vibranium

Oct 28, 2017
Doesn't matter if he has no chance against the turtle, he seems like a far better Dem to run in the seat. Hope he gets the nod.

Mariachi507

Oct 26, 2017
Yeah, McGrath has already lost this race. Zero chance of ditching Mitch if she is the main candidate.