• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

The Flop

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So I just got a job offer at Big Ass Fans today! :) in Lexington Kentucky, so now I need to figure out where to live. Any help from locals or those familiar with the area would be appreciated. It's on the north side of town. I got a few mins to drive around the city after the interview, but other than that I'm a newbie.

Some things about me.

-recently Sober (5 months!)
-Single
-White Male
-Have a dog
-a little bit LGBTQ
- Will help vote out McConnell.
- Can afford up to 1200 a month for an apartment / townhome / condo rental.

Considering doing a long term hotel for a month. I'll get my offer letter later today / Monday so hoping that's part of the package as part of my relocation.

Help me out if you can. :) Thanks in advance!

Mariachi507

Oct 26, 2017
Small world, I was just doing some sprinkler design work for that company. Lexington is a good spot, I don't live there though (only work there) so I don't really have much advice to give you there though.

Mariachi507

Oct 26, 2017
There is some good food. Plus it's fairly friendly, especially compared to other parts of KY.

I think Big Ass Fans is located near the outer parts of town, so it might be worth looking into apartments a little outside of lex just to compare prices. Places like Georgetown or Richmond depending on what the commute would be.

Edit: where are you living now OP?

Last edited:
OP
OP
The Flop

The Flop

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
There is some good food. Plus it's fairly friendly, especially compared to other parts of KY.

I think Big Ass Fans is located near the outer parts of town, so it might be worth looking into apartments a little outside of lex just to compare prices. Places like Georgetown or Richmond depending on what the commute would be.

Edit: where are you living now OP?
I'll be moving from Atlanta and well for the past few months Hilton Head, SC.

LoveAndBeer

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Lexington, KY
Just saw this post while eating at a local Lexington restaurant (Ramsey's). Will write a bit more later when I have a full keyboard but welcome to town. I've not been in the apt market for a couple of decades but can point to the parts of town I'd look at based on traffic.

The city is very friendly and progressive for KY (maybe not so much the surrounding counties). I travel quite extensively for work but have always said living and raising my family in Lexington is the perfect fit between smaller town feel but the amenities of a larger city.

Also any help with getting rid of McConnel is appreciated.

andymcc

Oct 25, 2017
Columbus, OH
Just saw this post while eating at a local Lexington restaurant (Ramsey's). Will write a bit more later when I have a full keyboard but welcome to town. I've not been in the apt market for a couple of decades but can point to the parts of town I'd look at based on traffic.

The city is very friendly and progressive for KY (maybe not so much the surrounding counties). I travel quite extensively for work but have always said living and raising my family in Lexington is the perfect fit between smaller town feel but the amenities of a larger city.

Ramsey's is the shit.

OP
OP
The Flop

The Flop

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Would love to see the full write up!

I just signed the offer letter so it's official unless they find something in my background check I don't know about. :O

Mariachi507

Oct 26, 2017

That's well put.

LycanXIII

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
I would avoid the apartments in the center of Lex, to avoid the college student mark up.

There isn't shit to do here in Nicholasville, on the southern city border.

OP
OP
The Flop

The Flop

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I would avoid the apartments in the center of Lex, to avoid the college student mark up.

There isn't shit to do here in Nicholasville, on the southern city border.
I was looking into some that weren't catering to college students like Park place, but only b/c it was close to Gratz Park which hosts the Refuge Recovery meetings 2 x's a week, there's also a 3rd one at the Unitarian Universalist Church of Lexington during the week. The one at Gratz park is Saturday and Sunday afternoons.

I'm going to be hitting these up over AA meetings, b/c it's more my style. I'll probably do some AA as well. But going to have to consider basing myself around these as well so I can cop out on an excuse to not go to a meeting. However I keep telling myself and thinking about all the things I used to do to get a drink / Xanax, so I can go get in a car and get in some traffic for a meeting. :)

LoveAndBeer

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Lexington, KY
Sorry for the delay in the write up, I'm actually in the process of moving myself (from near Jacobson Park to the Polo Club Blvd area). Spending 14+ hours a day working at the new house without internet is taking it's toll a bit (MetroNet and GigE Fibre install set for tomorrow!).

First off congrats on the sobriety, it is a tough road sometimes. Downtown definitely has little to offer other than bars and clubs, and honestly outside of games/concerts usually isn't super populated after dark. Thursday Night Live is fun during the summer (they have bands play outside -- although again, lost of drunken shenanigans). That being said many of the more interesting one-off restaurants are in the downtown area which is usually why the wife and I head downtown.

Park Place is on the south of Lexington which would make for a bit of a commute to Innovation Dr. A bit about driving in Lexington: you're coming from Atlanta, so you know real hell when driving, so this will all seem quaint but realize going across town in Lexington isn't quite as fast as it should be. First there are no interstates through Lexington proper (they skirt the North and Eastern edge of the county) so you are almost always running into traffic lights driving through the town. There are two circular roads, the inner is New Circle (which is 3/4 2 lane divided high way, 1/4 stoplights) and the outer is Man O' War (which goes around 3/4 of the city and is all stoplight all the way). Lex is pretty much a wheel with an inner loop and an outer loop. What this means for Park Place is getting to New Circle, going around, then heading out. Seriously, it isn't Atlanta bad, but for Lex you are pretty much on the opposite side of town.

That being said, south Lex has more in the ways of food and shopping and parks, and the Tates Creek Rd area is pretty central to all of the above. I'd personally look between Harrodsburg Rd counterclockwise to about Winchester and if you want to avoid college kids outside of New Circle. There are fine places outside of that swath but there are a few neighborhoods you probably don't want to live in.

You mentioned a dog and I know of at least a couple of dog parks in the area if your puppy is into that kind of thing. There are a few great trails around town as well if you like to walk/run/bike. Depending how much you want to walk versus drive might sway which part of town you look at as well. South side Tates Creek pretty much means driving to most places.

I've not been in the dating game since the early 90s so I'm going to be absolutely no help there. Hell, I really wouldn't have been much help then.

Anything in particular you'd like to know?

OP
OP
The Flop

The Flop

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Sorry for the delay in the write up, I'm actually in the process of moving myself (from near Jacobson Park to the Polo Club Blvd area). Spending 14+ hours a day working at the new house without internet is taking it's toll a bit (MetroNet and GigE Fibre install set for tomorrow!).

First off congrats on the sobriety, it is a tough road sometimes. Downtown definitely has little to offer other than bars and clubs, and honestly outside of games/concerts usually isn't super populated after dark. Thursday Night Live is fun during the summer (they have bands play outside -- although again, lost of drunken shenanigans). That being said many of the more interesting one-off restaurants are in the downtown area which is usually why the wife and I head downtown.

Park Place is on the south of Lexington which would make for a bit of a commute to Innovation Dr. A bit about driving in Lexington: you're coming from Atlanta, so you know real hell when driving, so this will all seem quaint but realize going across town in Lexington isn't quite as fast as it should be. First there are no interstates through Lexington proper (they skirt the North and Eastern edge of the county) so you are almost always running into traffic lights driving through the town. There are two circular roads, the inner is New Circle (which is 3/4 2 lane divided high way, 1/4 stoplights) and the outer is Man O' War (which goes around 3/4 of the city and is all stoplight all the way). Lex is pretty much a wheel with an inner loop and an outer loop. What this means for Park Place is getting to New Circle, going around, then heading out. Seriously, it isn't Atlanta bad, but for Lex you are pretty much on the opposite side of town.

That being said, south Lex has more in the ways of food and shopping and parks, and the Tates Creek Rd area is pretty central to all of the above. I'd personally look between Harrodsburg Rd counterclockwise to about Winchester and if you want to avoid college kids outside of New Circle. There are fine places outside of that swath but there are a few neighborhoods you probably don't want to live in.

You mentioned a dog and I know of at least a couple of dog parks in the area if your puppy is into that kind of thing. There are a few great trails around town as well if you like to walk/run/bike. Depending how much you want to walk versus drive might sway which part of town you look at as well. South side Tates Creek pretty much means driving to most places.

I've not been in the dating game since the early 90s so I'm going to be absolutely no help there. Hell, I really wouldn't have been much help then.

Anything in particular you'd like to know?
Thanks for the right up. Nothing specific right now. I got a relocation offer that included 2 months of corporate housing (wig!) so I won't be blindly picking a place. I'm going to stay there basically the full 2 months.

Turns out I may be coming up as soon as this weekend and starting Monday, so this is all moving so fast since the offer! I'm super excited. Lexington from the brief visit I got, seemed like a like an easy traffic version of Atlanta but I was driving on it during that winter blast, so I'm not sure it was a good idea of traffic. But like you said compared to Atlanta I'm sure I'll laugh. :)

OP
OP
The Flop

The Flop

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So I'm here now and I think I've decided on a townhouse at Masterson station.

http://www.trailsideatmcconnellstrace.com/

It's 5 mins from work, close to that massive dog park in Masterson state park, and it'll be brand new.

So far I'm enjoying Lexington. I have to laugh at the traffic complaints though, coming from Atlanta. :)