• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Ziltoidia 9

Oct 25, 2017
The ketogenic diet is based around getting your required protein intake, eating below 20 carbs per day and substituting the rest of your diet with fat, allowing you to feel full/satisfied.

I started my ketogenic diet in late march and and it has been really good for me. To date, I am down 60 pounds.

So, any fellow keto-ers here? Have a favorite keto recipe?

---

Want to give it a try?

1.https://keto-calculator.ankerl.com/ - Find out your macros.

2. Then download a calorie counter app like MyFitnessPal.

3. Get your required protein amount daily. This is a goal.

4. Stay under 20 carbs per day, this helps relieve you from hunger by getting rid of blood spikes.

5. Add in fat to your meals to help you feel full!

6. Drink plenty of water, and get electrolytes from supplements like magnesium/potassium.

7. Stay under your calorie goal for the day.

Deleted member 511

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Definitely going to watch this thread. I've tried doing keto a few times and actually enjoyed it but I always ended up failing at it. I think my biggest enemy is avoiding being tempted by carbs whenever there is a party at my job or I'm out with friends.

OP
OP
Ziltoidia 9

Ziltoidia 9

Oct 25, 2017
I know how that is, someone in my work place always brings in Donuts. It definitely takes a lot if willpower. One thing that helped me was to set a year commitment for it, and after that year, then I'll make the decision if I want to stay on it. As of now it is looking like I will stay on it. A key thing is to find alternatives to the types of food you like, and finding replacements for the old sweat treats that you would eat a lot. I'm on a huge keto peanutbutter cookie kick right now.

Avitus

Oct 25, 2017
I know how that is, someone in my work place always brings in Donuts. It definitely takes a lot if willpower. One thing that helped me was to set a year commitment for it, and after that year, then I'll make the decision if I want to stay on it. As of now it is looking like I will stay on it. A key thing is to find alternatives to the types of food you like, and finding replacements for the old sweat treats that you would eat a lot. I'm on a huge keto peanutbutter cookie kick right now.

I actually bought a box of donuts and kept it on the counter for a bit, just to show that I could resist it. When going to the grocery store, I'll make a point to walk through the bakery section and to gawk at all the sweets, but buy nothing. It's an exercise in saying no and it has worked well for me.

Definitely going to watch this thread. I've tried doing keto a few times and actually enjoyed it but I always ended up failing at it. I think my biggest enemy is avoiding being tempted by carbs whenever there is a party at my job or I'm out with friends.

You can have carbs in a social setting, just try to avoid having that spiral into a weekend/week of binge eating.

Deleted member 511

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah I went to this retreat for my school a couple of weekends ago and I completely feel off the diet as a result. I've honestly felt the difference as well; I feel sort of sluggish with less energy.

Are you guys pretty big cookers? I'm not but I want to change was mostly just preparing really simple meals while I was doing keto but I think I might start trying some keto recipes that I've read in this book I got to spice things up.

Avitus

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah I went to this retreat for my school a couple of weekends ago and I completely feel off the diet as a result. I've honestly felt the difference as well; I feel sort of sluggish with less energy.

Are you guys pretty big cookers? I'm not but I want to change was mostly just preparing really simple meals while I was doing keto but I think I might start trying some keto recipes that I've read in this book I got to spice things up.

I've tried a lot of the ruled.me recipes and for the most part they've been good, but working around carbs is sometimes more trouble than it's worth. I usually keep a healthy amount of protein on hand. Make a big batch of shredded chicken that can last the week, for example. Costco sells a lot of prepared and easy to heat up meats as well. Toss it in a bowl with some cheese, guac, sour cream or whatever you like, filling meal right there. Eggs are also a huge go-to. The thing I struggle with most on keto is flavor novelty, because your range of foods tends to narrow, so I drink zero calorie flavored water, black coffee, and the odd diet soda here and there to cope. Also helps deal with sweetness cravings.

water_wendi

Oct 25, 2017
So.. Cello Whisps. This is going to be an addiction lol They are parmesan cheese crisps but basically, to me, they taste like Cheez-Its.

hamarr

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Glad to see there is a thread for this here.

I've tried a lot of the ruled.me recipes and for the most part they've been good, but working around carbs is sometimes more trouble than it's worth. I usually keep a healthy amount of protein on hand. Make a big batch of shredded chicken that can last the week, for example. Costco sells a lot of prepared and easy to heat up meats as well. Toss it in a bowl with some cheese, guac, sour cream or whatever you like, filling meal right there. Eggs are also a huge go-to. The thing I struggle with most on keto is flavor novelty, because your range of foods tends to narrow, so I drink zero calorie flavored water, black coffee, and the odd diet soda here and there to cope. Also helps deal with sweetness cravings.

Which meats are those? Do you have any recommendations? I usually stick to their steaks or tri tip or something that can get pricey.

I'm still trying to figure out how to eat keto and not spend too much on it. I'm debating maybe buying meat in bulk from the butcher's shop once a month. My favorite place in town has a few package deals that aren't too terribly expensive. My main issue will be finding out what to do with all of it. I'm not very experienced as a cook.

I have also been thinking of trying to find another meal box delivery service, but one focused more on keto or low carb. Those are also pricey.

I have been living off of delivered or easy to grab/prepare junk food. Eating well is going to take more effort than I am used to.

Miedo

Oct 27, 2017
I have done Keto for almost two years here in Japan. Which is rather difficult to do with the lack of options given here due to the high amount of rice and carbs eaten.I will admit here and there I take a break when I go on vacation, or for Holidays but I've lost close to 55 KG (130 LBS) by dieting this way going down to 80 kg from 135 kg . I find doing meal prep has helped me the most to help me succeed. I think you have to budget in the times when you will be in a social setting and have to eat carbs, but like others have said it is best to not let it continue till you are no longer dieting.

Avitus

Oct 25, 2017
Which meats are those? Do you have any recommendations? I usually stick to their steaks or tri tip or something that can get pricey.

I'm still trying to figure out how to eat keto and not spend too much on it. I'm debating maybe buying meat in bulk from the butcher's shop once a month. My favorite place in town has a few package deals that aren't too terribly expensive. My main issue will be finding out what to do with all of it. I'm not very experienced as a cook.

There's various prepared Mexican style meats that you just need to warm up - carnitas, shredded chicken, shredded beef, chile verde etc... They usually come two to a package, with each serving being enough for 2 people and some leftovers. We recently found shredded beef in broth (shelf stable) that gives you quite a bit of beef for your money, can be reheated in the pouch. If you grab chicken tenderloins, those are thin enough and easy enough to cook that you just toss them in a pan with a little oil and seasoning, your done. Or you can toss them into a crockpot and then shred them with a fork for a big bag of shredded chicken that will last all week. You can have bacon on keto, so if you're into the reheat kind that works. Eggs are also your best friend. There are various kinds of parmesan cheese crisps out there that mimic chips while having practically no carbs, so be on the lookout for those. Costco also has lots of tasty fish you can buy which is ideal for keto, but it's not the most cost effective protein out there. Same for shrimp.

All are basically one or two step cooking. I don't like making elaborate dishes either.

hamarr

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
There's various prepared Mexican style meats that you just need to warm up - carnitas, shredded chicken, shredded beef, chile verde etc... They usually come two to a package, with each serving being enough for 2 people and some leftovers. We recently found shredded beef in broth (shelf stable) that gives you quite a bit of beef for your money, can be reheated in the pouch. If you grab chicken tenderloins, those are thin enough and easy enough to cook that you just toss them in a pan with a little oil and seasoning, your done. Or you can toss them into a crockpot and then shred them with a fork for a big bag of shredded chicken that will last all week. You can have bacon on keto, so if you're into the reheat kind that works. Eggs are also your best friend. There are various kinds of parmesan cheese crisps out there that mimic chips while having practically no carbs, so be on the lookout for those. Costco also has lots of tasty fish you can buy which is ideal for keto, but it's not the most cost effective protein out there. Same for shrimp.

All are basically one or two step cooking. I don't like making elaborate dishes either.

Thanks a ton. I'll check these out next time I make a Costco run.

Oct 31, 2017
This diet makes me want to cry

I can't eat apples
Or bread (I mean, expected, but still)
Or honey
Or cereal, or bars, basically anything with wheat
Or 99% of stuff really

But unfortunately I feel like this is the diet that'll help me achieve my dream body. I'm not too far off but I'm within the final stretches and need to make more (very painful) sacrifices to get there.

zeknurn

Oct 25, 2017
Crossposting my tips from a Keto thread that popped up today in an attempt to get this thread rolling again.

I lost 25kg just by just counting carbs and another 10kg by counting carbs and calories in about 6 months total. I hit 12% bodyfat and have been maintaining since while building muscles. I have never been in better health in my whole life and I'm still amazed that at almost two years in that I can maintain a low and healthy weight without having to be hungry all the time. Which wasn't the case when I tried to just do CICO on a regular diet.

Some tips that come to mind:
  • Ease into keto. For the first two or three weeks just limit your carbs and ignore calorie counting. If you try to change to what fuel your body runs on while pushing a calorie deficit and going through sugar withdrawals it's going to be rough. Keto works so well because it will suppress your hunger. Let the calorie deficit come naturally as you get adapted to keto instead of trying to force it.
  • Same thing goes for Intermittent Fasting. IF should be something you do when you feel like you can do it with zero effort. If you need to "push it" to hit the fasting duration it's not going to be sustainable and it will likely cause you to crash hard. If you feel the need to eat, then eat.
  • Keto is low carb, adequate protein and fat until satiety. This means you need to stay under 20g carbs (For some this might be a higher number but 20g is recommended to guarantee that you stay in ketosis at all time). Eat enough protein as defined by your lean body mass to prevent muscle loss. And eat fat until you feel you're satiated, no more. You might need more fat some days and less fat some days. As long as you're in an overall calorie deficit you will lose weight.
  • Use as much as possible of your 20g carb budget on healthy vegetables like broccoli, zucchini, cabbage and so on. Keto is a low carb, not a no vegetable way of eating. Don't be the person that only eats meat and cheese for every meal. This is not healthy because you need to get the necessary nutrients and vitamins that meat and cheese won't give you. Vegetables also help fill you up while being low amounts of calories.
  • Try to avoid drinking your calories. It does very little to satiate you and is an easy way to kill your calorie deficit. However this means that if you're coming up short on your protein goal due to the loss of appetite you can easily drink protein powder to make up for it.
  • Don't worry about going over on protein, especially if you're physically active or exercise a lot. You might feel the need to eat more of it to feel satiated. If you do eat more protein, you will have to compensate by eating less fat to maintain a calorie deficit.
  • Exercise is not necessary for weight loss. It has plenty of other health benefits but in the end losing weight is down to what and how much you put in your mouth. I do however recommend that you start lifting as soon as possible because building muscle takes much longer time than losing weight and if you get rid of all that unnecessary bodyfat you want something to replace it to make you look good without a shirt.
  • You'll have to experiment regarding diet soda and other sweeteners. They might help stave off your carb/sugar cravings or they might spur them. I find that erythritol is the best sweetener in baking.
  • Drink lots of water. Keto is diuretic and you will pee like a horse while your body adapts. Keep an eye on the colour of your urine to know how much you need. It shouldn't be clear as water and it shouldn't be dark yellow.
  • Keep up on electrolytes. Because you are peeing a lot, because you eat less processed food and because carbs are what promotes sodium and water retention in the body you're likely going to be low on sodium. The usual recommended amounts are 5000mg sodium, 1500mg potassium and 500mg magnesium. You're going to have to feel your body and experiment to see how much you need to supplement if any. Either get them through food or supplements. Use regular salt for sodium, no/light salt for potassium and magnesium citrate for magnesium. The longer you keep at Keto the less you will need to supplement. But as soon as you start feeling lethargic, muscle soreness or brain fog it's likely going to be a deficiency in one of these three.
  • Constipation might become a problem. But don't be worried if you only go once every 2-6 days. Keto is low waste because most of what you eat gets absorbed by the body. However, constipation is when you feel the need to go but can't. To help with this make sure you drink enough water and get enough magnesium and sodium. I cannot stress how important hydration is. Eating more fiber might help you to be more regular and you will have to experiment to find out, but if you're already constipated it's a bad idea to suddenly add a bunch of fiber that will act like extra mass and push on the blockage.
  • Eating out is not a problem. Every place I've been to will gladly replace the fries/potatoes/rice/bread with a sallad if you ask them.
  • Alcohol is easy. Stick to unflavored spirits like whiskey, cognac, vodka, rum, gin and so on. They're all zero or close to zero carbs. Dry wine is also okay in moderation and is around 2-3g carbohydrates per glass. Be sure to pace yourself because your alcohol tolerance will go down when you loss body mass and when you don't have a stomach full of carbs to soak it all up.
  • Social pressure is not an excuse to eating unhealthy. If someone starts giving you shit for the way you eat, tell them that you do not question their eating habits and you would like them to return the favor.
  • Weight-loss is a marathon, not a sprint. Your weight will fluctuate up and down by 2kg every day. If you feel like you're the person that will obsess and feel demotivated when the scale doesn't show a lower number every day then weigh yourself once a week or month instead.
  • Weight is not always the best way to measure progress. You might find that you lose inches all over your body while your weight stays the same. It's why a lot of people suggest using a tape measure instead of a scale.
  • I wouldn't recommend breaking keto even once during the first five weeks because it sets back your progress to becoming fully fat adapted. This might take anywhere from five weeks to several months and it's when the body is fully efficient at running on fat as fuel. If you exercise you'll know you have achieved fat adaption when your performance will have returned to the levels before you started keto. When you have achieved this you can start experimenting with raising your daily carb limit by 5g for a week at a time to see how much you carbs you can eat while maintaining ketosis. If you feel the return of extreme hunger and carb cravings you know you've gone over.
  • The longer you do keto the easier it gets. I've been doing Keto for almost two years and I eat "normally" at major social gatherings without it having any effect on me and my ability to get back to keto the next day. Though, I find that I still gravitate towards eating low carb because it simply tastes better.

Whoops, that turned out to be a lot longer than I expected. If I've made any mistakes someone else feel free to correct me.

tl;dr Keep the meals simple, stay under 20 carbs and listen to your body. There's no need to over complicate things.

Relix

Oct 25, 2017
Popping in here to subscribe and see if we can get this place a bit more active!

TheLetdown

Oct 25, 2017
Definitely subbing to this. Recipe swapping would be great.

Last night, I made what is essentially a pork egg roll's insides. The best part is that it's a batch job so it yields lunches, too.

This is more or less how I did it (I'd suggest swapping the ground ginger for fresh grated ginger... more punch): https://peaceloveandlowcarb.com/pork-egg-roll-in-a-bowl-crack-slaw-paleo-low-carb-whole30/

Also, BUY THIS:

red-boat-fish-sauce.png

spineduke

Oct 25, 2017
Hey all,

Just started a keto routine for the first time - on day two now. Aiming to lose 4-5 kg in total. Not sure how long it'll take though. I gave myself a rough estimate of a month or two to reach there.

thanks for the extensive tips zeknurn !

Joe2187

Oct 25, 2017
Definitely dropping some recipes up in here.

We always make a shit ton of chimichuri for our steaks at work which is just oil, vinegar and a bunch of herbs and spices so I decided to make one that's Keto friendly.

3 bunches lightly sauteed kale in avocado oil
1 tbsp melted coconut oil
1/2 Tbsp Red pepper flakes
1/2 Tbsp pink salt
3 Tbsp Apple Cider vinegar
1 Tbsp Red wine vinegar
1 bunch green onion
1 bunch cilantro
1/2 cup flax seeds or sesame seeds

Throw everything in a blender, add oil or vin when needed.

You can substitute the red pepper flakes for jalapeno, and also throw in an avocado to make a nice spicy avocado spread.

It's a good topping for a lightly seasoned steak or pork but goes pretty well with any meats really.

spineduke

Oct 25, 2017
I'm on my 3rd day and its been going smoothly - except its really difficult to focus by the end of the day. Reading/Gaming is pretty hard - I usually feel a quick boost after my last meal but its shortlived.

I'm taking multivitamin supplements + magnesium. At some point I'm planning on transitioning into IF, but I can't while I still operate like this.

Any ideas?

zeknurn

Oct 25, 2017
Are you keeping up on hydration and sodium? Drink a cup of bullion and see if that helps.

spineduke

Oct 25, 2017
Thanks, I'll try that - also, is it normal to feel hotter in keto? I'm sweating at room temperatures when I previously would feel cold.

spineduke

Oct 25, 2017
I have a quesiton - my weight loss goal is pretty conservative (5-6kg). The first week has me halfway already, but I understand that this is most likely water weight. Should I not count that weight as part of my target? I'm assuming this weight will come back at some point.

zeknurn

Oct 25, 2017
That's right. If you plan on returning to a carb heavy diet the water weight will return and you should aim for a goal weight that is lower by that amount.

And yeah it's perfectly normal to feel hotter when starting out on Keto. Eating a lot of protein and fat will cause excess body heat as the body works to break it down. It will normalize as your body get used to running on fat. When you become leaner you will find that you will start to run colder instead because of the loss of insulation.

I KILL PXLS

Oct 25, 2017
Maybe you guys can help out because I've googled this and only found contradictory info from the little bit that was out there. Is sake keto friendly? The nutrition facts suggest it is (in moderation), but I've also seen a few comments about how the flavor comes from "complex sugars" that don't show up on nutrition info and because of that it isn't.

spineduke

Oct 25, 2017
Maybe you guys can help out because I've googled this and only found contradictory info from the little bit that was out there. Is sake keto friendly? The nutrition facts suggest it is (in moderation), but I've also seen a few comments about how the flavor comes from "complex sugars" that don't show up on nutrition info and because of that it isn't.

Not really? It's 5g carbs a cup, so 4 cups and you've hit your entire carb quota for the day.

OP
OP
Ziltoidia 9

Ziltoidia 9

Oct 25, 2017
Not really? It's 5g carbs a cup, so 4 cups and you've hit your entire carb quota for the day.

Basically this. Anything is keto friendly as long as you keep yourself under your daily amount of carbs you want to have. The reduction in carbs is mostly to help curb your hunger.

I'd be more worried about alcohol in general while being on keto. Your body won't be used to processing it and the effects will hit you harder.

Pekola

Oct 27, 2017
So let me get this straight. It's 20 grams of carbs total?

Not 40? I'm a bit confused.

Wetwork

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Colorado
One week into Keto as of tomorrow. Been watching my carbs, aiming for my carbs to be below 20g, for sure keeping them under 30g. Yesterday, I felt insatiable- and I really wanted to break and just go get burritos and a fat plate of rice and beans. But I persisted.

Craving are killer, and they're what always breaks me when I've tried cutting back on certain foods. I want to stick with this though. :<

OP
OP
Ziltoidia 9

Ziltoidia 9

Oct 25, 2017
One week into Keto as of tomorrow. Been watching my carbs, aiming for my carbs to be below 20g, for sure keeping them under 30g. Yesterday, I felt insatiable- and I really wanted to break and just go get burritos and a fat plate of rice and beans. But I persisted.

Craving are killer, and they're what always breaks me when I've tried cutting back on certain foods. I want to stick with this though. :<

Keep at it, they will be gone soon.

Molecule

Nov 2, 2017

This is my fourth week. I had some bad cravings on week 2. Haven't had any since. They'll go away. Just make sure you eat something very fatty when you feel insatiable. And give yourself some time after eating it. I know sometimes I'll eat and feel like I want to eat more but if I wait a bit that feeling goes away.

spineduke

Oct 25, 2017
I'm on my third week. Keto flu is gone for the most part, but I'm not calorie counting. I'm eating several times (4+) a day, not in huge quantities, but I'm not sure how I'm supposed to transition into intermittent fasting like this. I'm dropping weight nice and slowly though, so I'm wondering if I.F is necessary at this stage.

Molecule

Nov 2, 2017
I'm on my third week. Keto flu is gone for the most part, but I'm not calorie counting. I'm eating several times (4+) a day, not in huge quantities, but I'm not sure how I'm supposed to transition into intermittent fasting like this. I'm dropping weight nice and slowly though, so I'm wondering if I.F is necessary at this stage.

You really should watch your calories and macros. I'm not doing IF and I'm losing weight week to week.

OP
OP
Ziltoidia 9

Ziltoidia 9

Oct 25, 2017

Thats what they call "lazy keto", when you eat all keto foods but don't count calories. A lot of people do it, the "lazy" name for it isn't meant to be negative.

Just keep it up as you were. IF comes into play mostly, I feel, the further along you go. When you start to hit long term plateaus.

Oct 27, 2017
I use the carb manager app. It's mind blowing the shit i used to eat

Seeing everything you used to eat in data form really puts things into perspective.

So.. Cello Whisps. This is going to be an addiction lol They are parmesan cheese crisps but basically, to me, they taste like Cheez-Its.

Careful with those, you can easily overeat them, also i ate them so frequently that i eventually got tired of them. They are a good substitute for croutons in salads.

Molecule

Nov 2, 2017
How do you guys handle cheat meals? I don't know if a cheat meal and getting kicked out of ketosis is worth the trouble of getting back in it. I'm really missing some Chinese food with egg rolls, pizza and garlic bread, some taco bell..

OP
OP
Ziltoidia 9

Ziltoidia 9

Oct 25, 2017
How do you guys handle cheat meals? I don't know if a cheat meal and getting kicked out of ketosis is worth the trouble of getting back in it. I'm really missing some Chinese food with egg rolls, pizza and garlic bread, some taco bell..

I find alternatives for the food type I like.

Mexican food? Fajitas with low carb tortillas (better than nothing) and queso.
Chinese? Some sort of chicken with a sauce, broccoli or cauliflower.

Italian food is one of the hardest. They have somehing called Fathead pizza which is supposed to be keto. Some people use cauliflower as the crust.

Best bet is to just look around at recopies and find something you can make.

Just type "_______ keto"

spineduke

Oct 25, 2017
You really should watch your calories and macros. I'm not doing IF and I'm losing weight week to week.

You're right, but I'm still making steady weight loss week per week. I'm actually relieved I'm not dropping weight faster. I've hit my goal (5kg) loss, but I think I'll have to go lower so that I can balance out the water weight when I get off keto. Am i getting this right?

Speaking of which, what's the best way to transition from keto? Paleo? I don't ever plan on resuming refined sugars or simple carbs.

I KILL PXLS

Oct 25, 2017
I've been on keto for three weeks now and I'm curious how long you all waited to throw cheat days in (for those that did). I was going to wait until I hit a certain fat loss goal but I am not doing well with liquors and want to be able to drink beer once a week if I want.

Molecule

Nov 2, 2017
I've been on keto for three weeks now and I'm curious how long you all waited to throw cheat days in (for those that did). I was going to wait until I hit a certain fat loss goal but I am not doing well with liquors and want to be able to drink beer once a week if I want.
I had my first cheat meals this weekend after 5 weeks of keto. Going back to full keto for another month before I cheat again.

OP
OP
Ziltoidia 9

Ziltoidia 9

Oct 25, 2017
Eventually when you do it long enough and do have a cheat meal, you will start realizing that it isn't worth it and only makes you feel bad. For me when I have more carbs than usually, I get really tired and a bit loopy. It can also cause some pretty bad nausea.

To me, a cheat meal is literally having spaghetti or hamburger (with buns) and fries. Or 3 pieces of pizza. Like, more than 100 carbs in one sitting.

If you have like a cookie or something, it isn't going to hit you that hard, just realize you will feel a little different than usual. Sugar is a drug.

Last edited:

I KILL PXLS

Oct 25, 2017
Eventually when you do it long enough and do have a cheat meal, you will start realizing that it isn't worth it and only makes you feel bad. For me when I have more carbs than usually, I get really tired and a bit loopy. It can also cause some pretty bad nausea.

To me, a cheat meal is literally having spaghetti or hamburger (with buns) and fries. Or 3 pieces of pizza. Like, more than 100 carbs in one sitting.

If you have like a cookie or something, it isn't going to hit you that hard, just realize you will feel a little different than usual. Sugar is a drug.
To be honest the only thing I'm really tempted at this point to cheat with is beer. If I could mix liquor with more than seltzer water or Coke Zero I could deal, but I f@#$%g do not like hard liquor no matter how much I've tried. The occasional serving of Australian red licorice or pack of Starburst would be nice too like once a month. Being not so restricted when I occasionally go out to eat with friends would also be nice. Beyond that, I'd be good lol.