• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Relix

Oct 25, 2017
Need more activity here! Restarted keto this past week and I am going wild on cooking and baking.

So far fat head pizza, amazing soft keto Buns, sugar free cheesecake with almond flour crust, mozzarella taco shells, and more. Getting a lot more experimental now.

Avitus

Oct 25, 2017
Need more activity here! Restarted keto this past week and I am going wild on cooking and baking.

So far fat head pizza, amazing soft keto Buns, sugar free cheesecake with almond flour crust, mozzarella taco shells, and more. Getting a lot more experimental now.

Yeah the upshot of it getting more popular is the increase in recipes and availability of keto friendly ingredients.

rabidtanuki

Oct 28, 2017
Good luck!

I recommend just sticking with the basics early on until you adjust and then work in recipes that try to mimic non keto foods.
Thanks!

Yeah, that's what we're focusing on right now. Just eating foods we like that are naturally low in carbs. Gonna dive into the fancier stuff once we've become acclimated to the water.

Avitus

Oct 25, 2017
Thanks!

Yeah, that's what we're focusing on right now. Just eating foods we like that are naturally low in carbs. Gonna dive into the fancier stuff once we've become acclimated to the water.

Just remember that it can take 2-3 months to become fully adapted to using fat as a fuel source. You will enter ketosis much sooner than that and the diet will work, but it hits another gear once you become adapted. Give it 90 days before making any decisions.

OP
OP
Ziltoidia 9

Ziltoidia 9

Oct 25, 2017
Just remember that it can take 2-3 months to become fully adapted to using fat as a fuel source. You will enter ketosis much sooner than that and the diet will work, but it hits another gear once you become adapted. Give it 90 days before making any decisions.

Once you are past 90 days is super easy. All yall just keep it up.

Trago

Oct 25, 2017
Didn't know there was an OT for this.

Been at it for a couple days and it suuuuucks. The cravings for carbs and sugar hit you hard. I'll keep at it though.

Ostinatto

Oct 30, 2017
15 days doing it, im 15 pounds thinner (7 Kg.) the first 3 days i was loosing 2 pounds a day , its crazy, i miss my bread thou.

what alcoholic beverages can i drink?

spineduke

Oct 25, 2017
15 days doing it, im 15 pounds thinner (7 Kg.) the first 3 days i was loosing 2 pounds a day , its crazy, i miss my bread thou.

what alcoholic beverages can i drink?

First 3 days is mostly water weight - as for booze, you can drink anything clear (Whiskey, Vodka, Rum, Gin) but you're not going to be able to handle it very well, plus you can't really do most mixers. The lack of a soft option (Wine/Beer) kinda sucks on keto.

entremet

You wouldn't toast a NES cartridge
Oct 26, 2017
Wow. This thread died lol. Keto is making a huge comeback of sorts. It's all over now.

I want to get back into not for fat loss, but mental clarity. I did keto many years ago and I loved how alert it made me feel.

Does anyone know of any good menu plans and shopping lists out there?

OP
OP
Ziltoidia 9

Ziltoidia 9

Oct 25, 2017
Wow. This thread died lol. Keto is making a huge comeback of sorts. It's all over now.

I want to get back into not for fat loss, but mental clarity. I did keto many years ago and I loved how alert it made me feel.

I generally just took what I usually ate and found alternatives that mimic'd it. That and things like MCT oil, protein shakes, etc.

water_wendi

Oct 25, 2017
Theres been a couple other keto threads. The OP of the tips thread Joe2187 has had major success and went from a size 52 to a 38 in 9 months.

The thing you need to do is figure out how far into ketosis you need to go to get the effect that you desire. After that i recommend exploring youtube for videos on keto friendly meals that fit your carb allotment.

If you want somewhere to start exploring new keto ideas you cant go wrong with Headbangers Kitchen

Molecule

Nov 2, 2017
I did keto for like 2 months and I started up again and been doing it for around 3 months now more or less. It's undeniable that I feel the best on this diet. Mental clarity, energy levels, no issues with heartburn, and I was shown to be prediabetic before I did keto but I'm thinking that's under control now, I'll find out when I get my blood work done.

I keep seeing so many articles of doom about keto. How it's great in the short term but will shave years off your lifespan. Is there any truth to that? I haven't found any conclusive evidence of this.

This article just came up on my feed: https://www.sciencealert.com/study-on-half-a-million-people-has-bad-news-for-keto-diet

You guys should look up Dr. Peter Attia. He's got good things to say about keto.

sensui-tomo

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm subbing to this, after seeing that it worked for my friend who is smaller than me , and that I need to change my eating habits I started this 3 days ago. I'm also stopping my pop/soda consumption since I am a heavy pop/soda drinker and am already dealing with the headaches. The plus side of this is that I'm trying out new things I didnt think I'd like (I'm very picky with veggies) but man is zucchini great, a coworker had some low carb zucchini fries and I'm waiting to get the recipe from her.

OP
OP
Ziltoidia 9

Ziltoidia 9

Oct 25, 2017
Droping sugar drinks might be hard, but as you go you won't crave them anymore. If you want something carbonated, just get a diet one. I'm almost at my 2 year mark now, haven't ever gone back. Every once in a while I'll have a slice of legit pizza or a cookie, but beyond that I don't miss anything.

Molecule

Nov 2, 2017
It's also not hard to bounce back if you feel like having a cheat meal. The trick is to not have a cheat meal often. I'd say once a month is alright. Twice at the most. And it's best to spread them out.

sensui-tomo

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So an update, no longer feeling the urge to drink soda anymore, and my appetite has lowered immensely, like hell yesterday all I had was a meal replacement drink and didnt feel hungry period. And at 12 pounds lost so far I seem to be getting what I wanted out of the keto diet.

OP
OP
Ziltoidia 9

Ziltoidia 9

Oct 25, 2017
So an update, no longer feeling the urge to drink soda anymore, and my appetite has lowered immensely, like hell yesterday all I had was a meal replacement drink and didnt feel hungry period. And at 12 pounds lost so far I seem to be getting what I wanted out of the keto diet.

Exactly how it should be! Don't forget to take supplements like magnesium and potassium if you have cramps. Some protein shakes will have it in it, like this:

https://www.amazon.com/Isopure-Protein-Powder-Isolate-Flavor/dp/B000E8ZJGS/?th=1

Last edited:
OP
OP
Ziltoidia 9

Ziltoidia 9

Oct 25, 2017
One week back on strick keto for me, working well again and officially droped peanut butter. Worst part of the transition is over, now just finding the right things to buy so that I am always able to eat something that works with it, which is easy now. Just finished backing 18 chicken tenders.

zenosparadox

Nov 13, 2017
I started keto about 1.5 weeks ago, and it has been going well. I went in cold turkey which was difficult at first I suppose, but I started taking a multivitamin to reduce the effects of the keto flu.

I also cut out diet sodas from my life since they seemed to make my head feel cloudy and blase overall. I also hear that diet drinks can actually cause you to eat too much because it suppresses a chemical that tells your body when you are full. Is that actually true?

Anyway, I feel better now and have more energy than before, but I definitely still have food cravings for things like candy, chips, cookies, etc. Need to stay strong! I also don't think I am the type of person that can have cheat days because I might fall off the bandwagon pretty fast after that. It is a long ways off, but Thanksgiving is a food-heavy day for my family, so I need to be prepared for that, and I think I will be.

Oh and I started using the exercise bike every other day to burn off 300-400 calories which I am sure will help. I will be trying to up the intensity/length of the exercise in the coming weeks.

Molecule

Nov 2, 2017
I stopped Keto after 5 months because it was putting me in a shitty mood. I put on weight but I'm trying to watch what I eat to come back down. It's much easier to lose weight on keto but the diet restrictions aren't sustainable in the long term for me personally.

Jan 4, 2018
Been doing Keto for about 8 weeks now. Haven't been hardcore counting macros but I've lost a little over 20lb. Lately I've stagnated though so I'm probably going to try and add a few days of cardio into my routine.

Adjusting to keto was difficult but once I found workarounds for the restrictions, the actual contents of the diet aren't hard to deal with.

OP
OP
Ziltoidia 9

Ziltoidia 9

Oct 25, 2017
I started keto about 1.5 weeks ago, and it has been going well. I went in cold turkey which was difficult at first I suppose, but I started taking a multivitamin to reduce the effects of the keto flu.

I also cut out diet sodas from my life since they seemed to make my head feel cloudy and blase overall. I also hear that diet drinks can actually cause you to eat too much because it suppresses a chemical that tells your body when you are full. Is that actually true?

Anyway, I feel better now and have more energy than before, but I definitely still have food cravings for things like candy, chips, cookies, etc. Need to stay strong! I also don't think I am the type of person that can have cheat days because I might fall off the bandwagon pretty fast after that. It is a long ways off, but Thanksgiving is a food-heavy day for my family, so I need to be prepared for that, and I think I will be.

Oh and I started using the exercise bike every other day to burn off 300-400 calories which I am sure will help. I will be trying to up the intensity/length of the exercise in the coming weeks.

I've heard stories that diet drinks can spike levels to make you want to eat, but I don't know it for a fact.

As far as snacking goes, just get rid of the stuff that you could crave, well, unless you live with others. I was able to move out and now basically I only buy keto stuff... keeps it damn easy for me.

water_wendi

Oct 25, 2017
Nowadays eating keto i try to keep things as simple as possible. My regular daily diet consists of a bone broth egg drop soup. Every other day or so i also have brussels sprouts and broccoli sprouts in butter. On the weekends i eat organ meats. If i ever feel the need to eat more i have frozen hamburger patties but thats a rare occasion now. i also try to get a spoon or three of raw sauerkraut or kimchi on a fairly regular basis.

i didnt realize until today how differently i eat keto now vs when starting. The most noticeable is no longer having specialty low carb products. No bars, no shakes, no specialty snacks. Gone also are keto versions of regular recipes. i still have them every once in a while but they have moved from daily or even multiple times per day to Cheat Meal status only. The last thing is that everything i get is high quality only (organic, grass fed, pasture raised, hormone free, country of origin considerations) whereas before quality wasnt nearly a concern.

ive never felt better.

XuandeXun

Self-requested ban
Banned
May 16, 2019
I'm planning to get back on this next month. I've done Keto once before, and had to drop it for financial reasons, but managed to lose ~40 pounds in the span of a few months, pounds that I've mostly kept off.

Having to invest in the equipment required to make the food prep easier sucks when I'm still recovering from the costs of moving, but I need to get my physical health under control. Right now I'm just testing recipes modified to fit my needs while staying Keto-viable. Today I tried a take on a chicken meatball and a take on a pork and veggies soup, and both worked out pretty well.

The one thing I still need to come to terms with is artificial sweeteners. I can't do Stevia or monk fruit, liquid Sucralose gives me acid reflux if used more than sparingly, and I haven't had any luck with the other major options. As someone who doesn't drink coffee or tea and isn't crazy about the idea of fat bombs in drink form, having a Keto-friendly variety alternative to water is hard.

water_wendi

Oct 25, 2017
The one thing I still need to come to terms with is artificial sweeteners. I can't do Stevia or monk fruit, liquid Sucralose gives me acid reflux if used more than sparingly, and I haven't had any luck with the other major options. As someone who doesn't drink coffee or tea and isn't crazy about the idea of fat bombs in drink form, having a Keto-friendly variety alternative to water is hard.
i find sparkling water a good substitute for cold drinks. Its become more prevalent in the last several years. Kroger even sells their own cola flavored sparkling water which is nice to change things up. Its also on tap on the Coca Cola mixers if you prefer fountain drinks with ice.

About tea.. there are a bunch of different teas out there so you might want to try different ones to see if you like them. Same goes for coffee. Personally i was never a fan of coffee as i dont like the go fast feel of it but since taking l-theanine thats not a problem. Get a coffee maker if you develop the taste to save an absolute ton of cash.

edit: found the Kroger sparkling water.. its called Fizz and Co.. its a nice change from the citrus/berry flavors more commonly found.

lWkpgTY.jpg

h1nch

Dec 12, 2017
Not sure how I missed this thread. I'm used to seeing low-carb threads in OT and an army of people spreading FUD and shitting all over anyone suggesting keto/low-carb is healthy.

I've been cycling on and off of keto for 3 years now and I'm a big believer in the diet. I was about 25 lbs overweight when I first tried it, and now I'm within the normal BMI range, hoping to maintain or replace body fat with lean mass. I absolutely love the mental/cognitive benefits and I'd do it full time but I tend to fall off during holidays and special occasions. Recently I've been off the wagon due to the 4th of July and I haven't quite gotten back into the swing of things.

I've been able to keep my weight stable by staying away from sugar/sweets, and continuing to do 16/8 IF (hunger cravings are noticeably stronger now that I'm not in ketosis for sure)

Looking to get back on the train as soon as I get through my current batch of leftovers. I'm one of the lucky ones who does not get keto flu symptoms so I have no problem stopping/starting multiple times per year. I think it's because I eat loads and loads of sodium as I have a deep love for salt. I don't really get keto breath either, just some temporary GI issues here and there.

Anyway, KCKO!

OP
OP
Ziltoidia 9

Ziltoidia 9

Oct 25, 2017
Started 16/8 intermittent fasting this week. Been surprisingly fine, and the scale side seems to be more even as I go instead of going down 4 pounds then back up 3, back down 4, back up 5, etc.

XuandeXun

Self-requested ban
Banned
May 16, 2019
So I've been dieting for a few weeks now. I'm on dirty Keto more due to my peculiar diet needs and budget, with supplements to try to compensate a little. I also went all in and got an iMovR Treadmill to pair with the Ikea adjustable desk I already had, plus a lower end bar stool to replace my usual desk chair, since it isn't feasible for me to drag my treadmill frequently. I'm still figuring out the fine details, but I have a decent setup.

As far as the Keto side is going, I ended up settling for a variant of Keto-Aid for my non-water fix. One Lemonade packet, 12 drops of liquid Sucralose (half the suggested amount), and about a dozen drops of Lemon Juice. For food, I'm having my wife batch cook and I'm tracking macros on the fridge with magnets. Using a phone app never really worked for me last time I dieted, but I do keep a notepad around with common foods I eat and their values per oz/lb.

Egg/Psyllium Husk coated chicken is my staple food, along with center cut bacon and a variety of experimental recipes. For fat bombs, I'm using cream cheese/coconut oil based recipes with a variety of sweeteners, like cocoa powder/strawberries/lemon juice. I know I need to get more greens in my diet, but outside of napa cabbage I'm still looking for staples there that I can eat without hating my diet or requiring soup mush.

I moved in May and weighed 257 lbs.
When I started my diet a few weeks ago, I was at 253 lbs.
Currently, I'm fluctuating around 242 lbs.

I've also only had the treadmill for a few days, and since I'm disabled/mostly at home, it should make a big difference in my calories burned.

XuandeXun

Self-requested ban
Banned
May 16, 2019
Hit my first milestone today, weighing in at under 240 for the first time. From here, I'm just aiming to lose one pound a week, running a 500+ calorie deficit while adding in increasing amounts of treadmill activity that I don't count towards my calories.

I've diversified my proteins a bit more and found a few sauces I can use that are essentially free of calories and artificial sweeteners, so I can make the same protein taste different ways after reheating it.

The bar stool, while decent for its <$100 price, I just couldn't make it work as an all-day desk seat. I'm doubling down with iMovR now and getting their treadmill chair solution, which I'll hopefully get to try out tonight.

OP
OP
Ziltoidia 9

Ziltoidia 9

Oct 25, 2017
Hit my first milestone today, weighing in at under 240 for the first time. From here, I'm just aiming to lose one pound a week, running a 500+ calorie deficit while adding in increasing amounts of treadmill activity that I don't count towards my calories.

I've diversified my proteins a bit more and found a few sauces I can use that are essentially free of calories and artificial sweeteners, so I can make the same protein taste different ways after reheating it.

The bar stool, while decent for its <$100 price, I just couldn't make it work as an all-day desk seat. I'm doubling down with iMovR now and getting their treadmill chair solution, which I'll hopefully get to try out tonight.

Congrats, I actually had an official weigh in this week at 240 also, which marks 120 down from my all time known weight.