• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Stinkles

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
https://www.reddit.com/r/marvelstudios/comments/bp084n/hi_reddit_im_kevin_feige_amaa/

Compiled everything he answered, but these are the highlights:

On Stan Lee's final cameo and if he saw the movie:
"Stan loved to wait to see the final movie at the premiere, so unfortunately he did not get to see the finished movie. Stan got a download of the full story the day he came and shot his cameo."

How far is the MCU planned out in advance?
"We usually work with a specific 5 year plan at any given point but often have a general plan that extends much, much further."

About unfilmable storylines:
"Everything is filmable nowadays. It's about finding the most resonant character stories to bring to the big screen."

On if they plan on implementing more about the Ten Rings or the real Mandarin:
"Yes"

Who hasn't been introduced in the MCU that he's itching to introduce:
"You'll know soon enough."

Favorite character that isn't in the MCU yet:
"I never play favorites, but there are many Marvel characters that I've loved for many years that are heading to the MCU soon, but I can't be more specific than that. Sorry!"

When they began planning Infinity War and Endgame to adapt The Infinity Gauntlet:
"We started discussing how to adapt the Infinity Gauntlet comic soon after the release of the first Avengers. It was on one of our creative retreats about 5 years ago that we decided to do it as two films. We started to crack the specifics of the story during production on Civil War with Chris Markus and Stephen McFeely, Joe and Anthony Russo, in a conference room as we went back and forth between takes."

The future of the Hulk:
"Many years ago, Mark came in for a meeting with us at Marvel Studios to discuss ways in which the Hulk could grow and evolve in upcoming films. He pitched a lot of cool ideas, some of which led to what you saw in Thor: Ragnarok, Infinity War and Endgame, and some of which would still be cool to see someday."

Here's what I heard :

Namor, Nova, Nadam Warlock.

HotHamBoy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I thought it was a self worth thing and Steve felt like shit because he was lying to Tony about Bucky.
There's more to it than that. Steve is clearly humoring everyone at the table, he isn't thinking about that in the moment. He likely didn't know or even think he could pick it up but the moment he realizes he can he gives up so as not to embarass Thor.

That's how fucking worthy that dude is.

Not sure why this bothers people so much.

Dalek

Oct 25, 2017
I remember reading that to somewhere. If they do that they better give my boy Shang Chi some powers lol. Come on, he really going to fight his magic powered daddy with only martial arts?

He had cool powers in Hickman's Avengers run.

Rice Eater

Oct 26, 2017
Yeah, about that.

She'll only be 10 five years from now.

Another time jump? Then Pete ages, too.

I've seen that brought up many times. But this character is only 4. It would be 10 years minimum until that happens at the earliest. But more like 12-15, and that's assuming they use the same actress.

I'm clamoring for the X Men right now but we're like so far away from their MCU introduction. The idea of her being Iron Man is even much much further out.

HotHamBoy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I thought Steve said he didn't know for sure it was Bucky.

He just knew it wasn't an accident.
He does ultimately admit that he knew but this is such a flimsy-ass argument for MCU Steve Rogers to not be worthy. The man has been a saint since before he ever enlisted and constantly put others before himself his whole life.

Thor is a self-centered, self-aggrandizing jerk.

Einchy

Oct 25, 2017
Why is it bullshit? Steve was able to move Mjolnir. I don't think there's any depiction of Mjolnir where you can move it partially. You can't be kind of worthy. Either you are or you aren't.
It's bullshit because, well, just look at the scene:

He tries really hard to pick it up, it wiggles, and then tries again. Are you telling me just was just pretending to try and pick it up, fucked up by lifting it a little bit, stopped and then pretended to try again?

How would he know he could pick it up in the first place?

Mekanos

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Oct 17, 2018

He tries really hard to pick it up, it wiggles, and then tries again. Are you telling me just was just pretending to try and pick it up, fucked up by lifting it a little bit, stopped and then pretended to try again?

He felt it move on a genuine attempt, then pretended to struggle. I thought that was pretty obvious.

brochiller

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
There's more to it than that. Steve is clearly humoring everyone at the table, he isn't thinking about that in the moment. He likely didn't know or even think he could pick it up but the moment he realizes he can he gives up so as not to embarass Thor.

That's how fucking worthy that dude is.

Not sure why this bothers people so much.

Maybe he was only really worthy because he didn't actually try to pick it up.

Lord Vatek

Banned
Jan 18, 2018

It is very easy to pretend to struggle to lift something.

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
I remember reading that to somewhere. If they do that they better give my boy Shang Chi some powers lol. Come on, he really going to fight his magic powered daddy with only martial arts?
It really bothers me people are confusing two different asians for the same character.

Mandrin, not Shang Chi's father
latest

Plan Chu, Shang Chi's father
villain.gif

Dr.Sun, also chinese and not SHang Chu's father
latest

Sulik2

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, about that.

She'll only be 10 five years from now.

Another time jump? Then Pete ages, too.

You can always fudge time, cast an older actress, run time through her, Kang shenanigans, etc... I just think it would be a really cool thing to do thematically to have Tony's daughter take up the mantle when needed just like her Mom did in Endgame. I don't think we should see it for like 5 years though, maybe phase 5. Let Tony's sacrifice rest for a while.

Einchy

Oct 25, 2017
No. I edited my post to make my point more clear. He did genuinely try to pick it up, then felt it move, and pretended he couldn't do it.
So, he did a bunch of force the first time, he felt it move, and then pretended to try again the second time?

Why then was he not able to easily lift it the first time? There wouldn't not been a struggle > moves > pretends. It would've been tries to pick it up > oh shit I just lifted it > Thor shits his pants.

HotHamBoy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
You can always fudge time, cast an older actress, run time through her, Kang shenanigans, etc... I just think it would be a really cool thing to do thematically to have Tony's daughter take up the mantle when needed just like her Mom did in Endgame. I don't think we should see it for like 5 years though, maybe phase 5. Let Tony's sacrifice rest for a while.
5 years will be enough time for a jump.

By then I think we'll be ready for Pete to be fully an adult and more experienced and his age won't matter any more.

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
And for the last time the Mandrin's rings are not magic. They are made from the hyderdrive system of Fin Fang Foom's ship

Mekanos

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Oct 17, 2018
So, he did a bunch of force the first time, he felt it move, and then pretended to try again the second time?

Why then was he not able to easily lift it the first time? There wouldn't not been a struggle > moves > pretends. It would've been tries to pick it up > oh shit I just lifted it > Thor shits his pants.

If you've ever tried to lift something heavy (this item presumably with infinite weight), you aren't going to just use all your force at once, unless you want to blow out your back. He probably rooted himself and prepared to gradually exert himself. He participated as a sign of sportsmanship, thinking he couldn't lift it but wanted to do what everyone else was doing. When he felt it actually immediately move (like it does in the scene), he immediately adjusted and quit exerting actual force. His reaction time is superhuman as well as his strength, meaning his brain could probably respond to that impulse fast enough.

Now, that's just my interpretation of the events. But I don't think it's much of a stretch. He went to lift it, felt it move, stopped trying to lift it before he blew his cover. It's a simple enough explanation if you don't get hung up on the editing and blocking of the scene.

Einchy

Oct 25, 2017
If you've ever tried to lift something heavy (this item presumably with infinite weight), you aren't going to just use all your force at once, unless you want to blow out your back. He probably rooted himself and prepared to gradually exert himself. He participated as a sign of sportsmanship, thinking he couldn't lift it but wanted to do what everyone else was doing. When he felt it actually moving, he immediately adjusted and quit exerting actual force.
Come on. COME ON.

Come on.

This is you jumping through mental hoops to try and make a retcon make sense.

It's a simple enough explanation if you don't get hung up on the editing and blocking of the scene.

So this retcone makes sense if I just pretend the scene doesn't play out the way it plays out? The retcon is bullshit because I'm not ignoring the way it actually happened.

Dakkon

Oct 27, 2017

You're over complicating this.

Mjolrnir has 2 states:

* you're not worthy to lift it (in which case it feels like the heaviest thing you've ever touched, and you can't move it)

* you are worthy to lift it (in which case it feels like it has no weight)

Someone who is worthy can instantly tell they are able to lift it because it weighs nothing to them. Steve was just pretending the entire time the instant he gripped it, he just screwed up and jostled it.

This is why Thor knew Steve was worthy...there's no inbetween state of Mjolnir. The instant Steve even slightly moved it, he proved he was worthy to everyone there.

Unless you wanna argue that Steve wasn't worthy, legit struggle to move it, then all of a sudden became worthy to slightly jostle the hammer doing....nothing.....during that whole scene?

e:

To clarify, the reason it feels like it has no weight is because if you are worthy and grip the hammer you are instantly granted the powers of Thor which includes super strength.

Mekanos

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Oct 17, 2018
Come on. COME ON.

Come on.

This is you jumping through mental hoops to try and make a retcon make sense.

People, including myself, have theorized that Cap was worthy in that scene ever since the movie came out. This isn't new. There is no text supporting the idea that you can budge Mjolnir but not actually lift it. Nothing in the movies either. You can move it or you can't. Cap clearly moved it, hence Thor's reaction.

So this retcone makes sense if I just pretend the scene doesn't play out the way it plays out?

Because you're assuming something about the rules of the setting based on a scene that was intentionally edited to be ambiguous. Note that we don't even see Steve's reaction when Mjolnir budges; it focuses on Thor, who is perplexed that this is happening, and nervous until Cap eventually gives up.

CenaToon

Oct 25, 2017
4.-
Cap lifting Mjolnir was one of the strongest (crowd-cheering) moments in Endgame. Does he become worthy in that moment or has he been worthy for a while since, say, Avengers: Age of Ultron?

A.-
We think he was always worthy and was being polite in Age of Ultron.

YES
NOW IS CANON

Aly

Oct 27, 2017
Cap being able but deciding not to lift the hammer in AoU makes more sense than only being partially worthy. You're either worthy or your not. I mean even his reaction after the fact makes more sense when viewed through that lens.

thediamondage

Oct 25, 2017
I don't like how the word genius is thrown around too much nowadays but Kevin Feige definitely fits the bill, I honestly have no idea how he strung together 22 decent movies, a few of them pretty damn good, and really nailed the sequence of Avengers, the 3 Captain Americas, Black Panther, Thor Ragnorak, Infinity War, and End Game. I can't think of any other sequence of movies that kept such a high bar of quality and story that kept going and going.

Did anyone ask him if he plans on retiring soon? I always wonder if at that level of success you are sure you can keep doing well or if you think maybe your luck has run out and its time to get out on top.

Stinkles

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Cap being able but deciding not to lift the hammer in AoU makes more sense than only being partially worthy. You're either worthy or your not. I mean even his reaction after the fact makes more sense when viewed through that lens.

This would only make sense if thor later exclaimed, "I KNEW IT!"