• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Mekanos

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 17, 2018
I don't like how the word genius is thrown around too much nowadays but Kevin Feige definitely fits the bill, I honestly have no idea how he strung together 22 decent movies, a few of them pretty damn good, and really nailed the sequence of Avengers, the 3 Captain Americas, Black Panther, Thor Ragnorak, Infinity War, and End Game. I can't think of any other sequence of movies that kept such a high bar of quality and story that kept going and going.

Did anyone ask him if he plans on retiring soon? I always wonder if at that level of success you are sure you can keep doing well or if you think maybe your luck has run out and its time to get out on top.

Feige is still pretty young at 45. He's happy working with Marvel Studios and this is what he wants to do. I'm sure he'll be around for at least another decade.

Ithil

Oct 25, 2017
"We started discussing how to adapt the Infinity Gauntlet comic soon after the release of the first Avengers. It was on one of our creative retreats about 5 years ago that we decided to do it as two films. We started to crack the specifics of the story during production on Civil War with Chris Markus and Stephen McFeely, Joe and Anthony Russo, in a conference room as we went back and forth between takes."

I recall Markus and McFeely talking about this, that while Civil War was filming, unless they were needed on set for something, they were holed up in an office nearby putting together the stories and early scripts for IW/EG, with a gigantic pile of comics, and a wall covered in post-it notes, of basically anything and everything they might want to see in the film.

Dakkon

Oct 27, 2017
Personally I call bullshit on this.

I never got that from that scene in AOU.

Reiterating my above post here but:

* you're either worthy or you're not. There is no partial worthy, you either can move the hammer or you can't.

* Because of the above, need to point out Steve does nothing during that scene that would have taken him from unworthy to worthy.

* the instant you grip Mjolnir if you're worthy you are instantly granted the powers of Thor (which includes super strength) which makes the hammer not weigh anything compared to when you're unworthy where it feels like it weighs an unmeasurable amount and can't be moved at all.

Thor explicitly says he knew Steve was worthy.

It 100% unequivocally makes no sense that Steve could move the hammer AT ALL unless he was worthy during that scene, and it 100% unequivocally makes no sense that he became worthy part way in considering he did nothing during the scene except try to lift the hammer. The instant you grip the hammer, you know, as you either become Thor and the hammer weighs nothing to you, or you are unworthy and it feels like a heavy burden in your hands.

This is how the hammer has always been depicted, both in the comics and in the movies....Thor himself in Thor 1 when he was unworthy could not make the hammer budge.

Einchy

Oct 25, 2017
How do you explain Cap doing something that has been proven to be impossible in every depiction of Mjolnir? That seems more ridiculous to me.
By the fact that it's the MCU and things aren't always the same.

Cap trying to pick it up, feeling that it was moving, mining picking it up while still holding the same pose, stopping and then mimming again is so incredibly convoluted. Joss Whedon would be an insane man if this is what he intended.

Rice Eater

Oct 26, 2017
It really bothers me people are confusing two different asians for the same character.

Dude, I'm Asian. Look at my name. I started using it because A) I do eat a lot of rice and B) it's a common Asian stereotype that I have no problem with.

Anyways, I should clarify why I said that. The rumor that I read about Mandarin being Shang Chi's antagonist also included him being Shang Chi's father. I know he's not Shang Chi's father, but the rumor says that they'd do that for his movie. So that's why I threw in that comment about hoping he gets powers because that would be a big mismatch.

Mekanos

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 17, 2018

Odin in Thor 1: Whosoever holds this hammer, if he be worthy, shall possess the power of Thor.

Thor in Endgame: I knew it!

The rules of the MCU are not supporting the argument either. It would be a literal deus ex machina, from the gods themselves, if Steve could kinda budge it, but not lift it.

RestEerie

Banned
Aug 20, 2018
Feige is still pretty young at 45. He's happy working with Marvel Studios and this is what he wants to do. I'm sure he'll be around for at least another decade.

The Academy might scorned at it but i think he's due for an award of some kind......regardless of whether you like his movies, what he did as a producer of stringing a bunch of movies to create a cinematic universe of epic proportion is unprecedented.

Before the MCU, all other crossovers (the universal monsters series) and 'semi-universe' (Godzilla, James Bond) were either 'bite size' (consists of no more than 5 movies) or tends to reboot like very 4 movies (again, godzilla, james bond).

The MCU has 20+ movies crossover each other for the past 10 years!

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
Dude, I'm Asian. Look at my name. I started using it because A) I do eat a lot of rice and B) it's a common Asian stereotype that I have no problem with.

Anyways, I should clarify why I said that. The rumor that I read about Mandarin being Shang Chi's antagonist also included him being Shang Chi's father. I know he's not Shang Chi's father, but the rumor says that they'd do that for his movie. So that's why I threw in that comment about hoping he gets powers because that would be a big mismatch.
I rather they ahve Shang Chi's brother The Midnight Son
iYoe9XR.jpg

They call him Midnight cause he is black

Mekanos

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 17, 2018
The Academy might scorned at it but i think he's due for an award of some kind......regardless of whether you like his movies, what he did as a producer of stringing a bunch of movies to create a cinematic universe of epic proportion is unprecedented.

Before the MCU, all other crossovers (the universal monsters series) and 'semi-universe' (Godzilla, James Bond) were either 'bite size' (consists of no more than 5 movies) or tends to reboot like very 4 movies (again, godzilla, james bond).

I forget what it's called, but there's a special kind of award for producers outside of the Oscars. He's probably going to get that.

Aly

Oct 27, 2017

Cap trying to pick it up, feeling that it was moving, mining picking it up while still holding the same pose, stopping and then mimming again is so incredibly convoluted. Joss Whedon would be an insane man if this is what he intended.

Well, he must be since it is in fact what he intended since I believe he's said as much after AoU.

Dakkon

Oct 27, 2017

The movies go out of their way to establish the same exact rules though, like Thor 1 single handedly does this.

Steve is a goody goody two shoes and doesn't want to upset Thor or hurt his feelings. It was a party, and the whole point of the game was Thor was kinda showing off. Steve would definitely play along with that for team morale. They're having a fun time.

CenaToon

Oct 25, 2017
Guys, MCU Steve Rogers not wanting to embarrass his good friend thor in a party with all their other super hero friends looking at them, and pretending is not worthy is the most MCU Steve Rogers thing he could ever do.

CenaToon

Oct 25, 2017
This other one is good too:

Q: You have been involved in producing Marvel movies since 2000, some of which, Pre-MCU, had missteps. What kind of lessons did you learn from those that helped you create this vision of the MCU that is now not only a worldwide phenomenon, but also has been a hit with critics?

A: Respect the source material.
Hire passionate filmmakers regardless of how much money their last movie made.
Hire the best cast regardless of their current marquee value.

The Russos must REALLY have impressed Feige with their passion to give them Winter Soldier.

black070

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017

It probably wasn't Whedon's intention when he shot the scene to explicitly set that up, but having just rewatched it - its actually pretty easy to interpret it as him faking after he gets it to budge initially so it kinda retroactively works.

CenaToon

Oct 25, 2017
It probably wasn't Whedon's intention when he shot the scene to explicitly set that up, but having just rewatched it - its actually pretty easy to interpret it as him faking after he gets it to budge initially so it kinda retroactively works.

BreakableFakeBorzoi-small.gif

Look at Thor's face expression after the little movement of the hammer.

It was the movie's intention at all.

Ryuhza

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
San Diego County

http://www.4ye.co.uk/2015/07/sdcc-2...ss-whedon-answers-tough-questions-at-nerd-hq/
"How is Steve Rogers not worthy?" a fan asked. "Is he not? Are we sure?" Whedon responded, a hint of teasing in his voice. "Did he fail? Or did he stop?"

Stinkles

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Wat.

Yes he filmed and set up that entire scene and didn't notice the hammer physically move in just that shot

Stinkles

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Wat.

Yes he filmed and set up that entire scene and didn't notice the hammer physically move in just that shot
Thor's face? That's Hemsworth showing the camera guy they fucked up the shot.

You almost got me

Khanimus

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Greater Vancouver
It really bothers me people are confusing two different asians for the same character.

Mandrin, not Shang Chi's father
latest

Plan Chu, Shang Chi's father
villain.gif

Dr.Sun, also chinese and not SHang Chu's father
latest
Marvel also subsituted J'Son with Ego the Living Planet as Star Lord's father. They're going to take their liberties, and the rumor going around was that this was how they were going to use The Mandarin.

Oct 30, 2017
So we'll see Carol Danvers giving birth to her own rapist? We all know those cape storylines that won't work because they're just offensively bad, if not outright repulsive. That's what I mean by unfilmable.

But that plays into his point... wouldn't work because there isn't resonant characters.

His original point is that filmmaking and CGI is so advanced. There isn't anything they can't bring to the screen. The question is whether they should!

HStallion

Oct 25, 2017
But that plays into his point... wouldn't work because there isn't resonant characters.

His original point is that filmmaking and CGI is so advanced. There isn't anything they can't bring to the screen. The question is whether they should!

And the issue with that story isn't the lack of resonant characters but that it's just disturbing and gross.

CommodoreKong

Oct 25, 2017
I'm surprised people didn't think Steve was able to move Mjolnir in Age of Ultron, I thought the intention was pretty clear that he could move it but didn't to steal Thor's thunder.

Godzilla actually has multiple longer timelines, including a 16 film one that has it's own Avengers equivalent called Destroy All Monsters which has nearly ever monster that appeared in the films before it.
THE_GODZILLA_TIMELINE.jpg

I don't believe a re-occuring human character really started showing up until the 90s Heisei series though, in the original Showa series the state of the monsters was more of the re-occuring element (Rodan being in a volcano, monsters being on monster island, etc).

hodayathink

Oct 25, 2017
WHAT. THE. FUCK.

Comics have some HARDCORE issues with women.

In a slightly happier ending to that whole story, the next time Carol ran into The Avengers (which was after she'd joined up with the X-Men), she read them the riot act for letting that happen (and it was basically Claremont calling out the Avengers #200 editors/writers for the story).

https://www.cbr.com/meta-messages-chris-claremont-sticks-up-for-ms-marvel/

DeltaRed

Apr 27, 2018
The thing with the hammer is they clearly had a prop which wouldn't budge and Chris Evans is obviously trying to pull, it's not like he is pretending to pull something but not actually.