• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Dalek

Oct 25, 2017
In a slightly happier ending to that whole story, the next time Carol ran into The Avengers (which was after she'd joined up with the X-Men), she read them the riot act for letting that happen (and it was basically Claremont calling out the Avengers #200 editors/writers for the story).

https://www.cbr.com/meta-messages-chris-claremont-sticks-up-for-ms-marvel/

This is a good link, thanks. And this is part of a larger series examining meta-commentary in comics which is really interesting as well.

Ferrs

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
I... guess I shouldn't ask wtf is that about Carol giving birth to her rapist... yeah no... comics, man.

edit:
In one storyline Carol is kidnapped, took to another dimension, brainwashed and impregnated while raped. She then returns to Earth and gives birth to a rapidly aging baby who grows to become the guy who raped her. They continued in a relationship and the Avengers are all OK with this.

oh god this is worse than I even imagined. Don't Marvel has some kind of quality check to not release shit like this?

Deleted member 671

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I... guess I shouldn't ask wtf is that about Carol giving birth to her rapist... yeah no... comics, man.

edit:

oh god this is worse than I even imagined. Don't Marvel has some kind of quality check to not release shit like this?

This was me the whole time reading that:

200w.webp

DeltaRed

Apr 27, 2018
Did Cap know about Bucky and Tony's parents back then?

I should rewatch Civil War...
In Winter Soldier Zola shows various images including Newspaper clippings of Tony's parents dying in a car accident and a separate image of the Winder Soldier implying they orchestrated it. Nothing is explicitly said and it's brief but Steve probably knows.

gitrektali

Feb 22, 2018
I'd like for them to adapt Moon Knight and The Immortal Hulk down the road. Have them be hard PG-13 films even, or even as TV shows.

kiguel182

Oct 31, 2017
In Winter Soldier Zola shows various images including Newspaper clippings of Tony's parents dying in a car accident and a separate image of the Winder Soldier implying they orchestrated it. Nothing is explicitly said and it's brief but Steve probably knows.

oh okay. got it.

When I watched the Winter Soldier that didn't even register and the reveal in Civil War was a surprise. Guess that explains it.

BossAttack

Oct 27, 2017
It's perfectly in character. The hammer moved, he noticed and stopped actually pulling. Even Thor's reactions, both in AOU and Endgame are perfectly in line with this.

Nah, it's a dumb explanation that fails to recognize character growth. The simple explanation is that Cap wasn't worthy at that moment. He was trying to pull the hammer as part of a pissing contest and was secretly keeping the knowledge of Bucky from Tony. He wasn't worthy yet, but he could move it some because he had potential. In End Game, he calls for the hammer in his most desperate moment when all doubts and secrets have been revealed. In that moment he is worthy.

It's called a character arc

Rendering...

Oct 30, 2017
This dude is world class. The MCU is proof positive of the magic that can be achieved with the right person in charge, and the right collaborators. Hats off to Kevin Feige & co. for their great work.

Parthenios

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Did anyone ask about doing more One Shots? I loved those and I feel like there are about 800 super interesting shorts they could do exploring the consequences of the snap.

Alice

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
Nah, it's a dumb explanation that fails to recognize character growth. The simple explanation is that Cap wasn't worthy at that moment. He was trying to pull the hammer as part of a pissing contest and was secretly keeping the knowledge of Bucky from Tony. He wasn't worthy yet, but he could move it some because he had potential. In End Game, he calls for the hammer in his most desperate moment when all doubts and secrets have been revealed. In that moment he is worthy.

He moved the Hammer, there's no such thing as "Kinda-Worthy". Whedon made it pretty obvious what happened there, and went on record to state it, too. Cap being too humble to show off is perfectly within his character, and indeed part of his character arc.

Sorry that it doesn't cover your fanfic, but the movies made more than clear what was happening.

Parthenios

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Actually, I found it:

Q: I really miss the Marvel One-Shots that were a fun way to explore the world around the MCU through peripheral characters. Can we expect them to return?

A:We're coming up with many new, fun ways to explore the world around the MCU.
So that sounds like the One Shots are done-zo :'(

NHarmonic.

â–˛ Legend â–˛
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017

I agree with you. It's my headcanon for what happened.

Kalentan

Oct 25, 2017

But you can't be: "Somewhat" Worthy. It's not a gradient. You're either worthy or your not. The fact that he could move it at all showed that he was worthy.

Cuburger

Oct 28, 2017

It sounds nice and clean to try to pin a Steve's potential character flaw on that one moment, but like Steve tells Tony, he wasn't sure it was Bucky at the time. It was heavily implied it was Bucky and Steve knew in his gut, but wasn't explicitly told so Steve wasn't lying to Tony, just withholding potential information. Steve being Steve though knew that if he was being honest with himself, that he was shown enough to make that connection and felt it was better to keep it to himself or not look further into it than to open that old wound for Tony, while potentially throwing his friend under the bus, who would have been under mind control at the time.

Civil War seemed to be one of the few times that Cap was really wrong about something (even if he did end up being right about his hunch of Bucky not being responsible for the bombing), but that moment wasn't Cap's arc. It was Cap's arc for that movie, sure, but Cap's overall arc was about finding his home, finding a way to move on from his past he left behind, finding his purpose beyond fighting, and finding a way to live for himself rather than just living for others. Fighting for Bucky was part of his journey to discover that doing what is right isn't just catching the bad guy or trying to prove the innocence of your friend, but Steve was trying to hold on to the only friend he had left from his past, and it was because he knew that person he used to know was a good guy. It's a decision that's made with some self-interest, but for a person who has always thought it's more important to serve and protect others, to do something for himself is a breakthrough.

I don't really think that's necessarily a "worthiness" trait or that Mjolnir is a lie detector to discover if you've ever cheated on a test. All Cap had to do was confess to withholding the truth that he wasn't even 100% sure about. Cap's character has never been in question, and I think that's the idea behind Cap always being worthy. His arc was never about becoming a better person like most people's arcs tend to be, it's about becoming a more whole person.

Fuu

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 27, 2017
It depends on editorial at any given time. The mood inside Marvel switched drastically through the years and when that issue was released Jim Shooter was having several conflicts with writers and artists (editor-in-chief at the time who also co-wrote that particular story).

There's a lot of good stuff that had to slip under the radar during certain periods too. Books that sold less were allowed to be more experimental, and if those had a good writer you'd get a lot of classics. Whenever a different person was at the top of the chain the way the comics were produced would change too. Some would let writers do whatever they wanted, some would tell them to rewrite material all the time.

I recommend the book Marvel Comics: The Untold Story by Sean Howe for anyone interested in how those things came to be. It's super interesting, I finished reading it right before watching Endgame and it really heightened the experience.

Voytek

Oct 25, 2017
Mandarin bit is interesting. I didn't think they would bother going back to that. Glad they are though.

Kalentan

Oct 25, 2017
There's no way they'll show this on the big-screen.

Carol is a literal god in the MCU.

I just can't imagine them ever showing us a rape scene, let alone by her own son!!!

Feel like puking just from the idea alone.

Obviously they'd never do it in the MCU. I'm pretty sure it's one of the most hated and controversial stories ever put to paper in comics.

BossAttack

Oct 27, 2017
He moved the Hammer, there's no such thing as "Kinda-Worthy". Whedon made it pretty obvious what happened there, and went on record to state it, too. Cap being too humble to show off is perfectly within his character, and indeed part of his character arc.

Sorry that it doesn't cover your fanfic, but the movies made more than clear what was happening.

I don't think you know what fan fic means.