• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Yasuke

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
How does this tackle the issue of everything being in a singular medium, though? People don't like to jump through hoops when half the draw of the entertainment is convenience. Inter-media has been tried multiple times before, to extremely varying results. People might miss out on what isn't "primary." So if it's a movie and a show, they'll see the movie but maybe not the show. If it's a movie and a game, same thing.

If it's a show and a comic, they'll probably see the show and not read the comic.

Could the movie+show MCU thing succeed? It could. You're right that the MCU has broken precedent before. But up to now inter-media has not been great for the masses keeping up on canon.

Lol at being concerned about the convenience of watching a TV show via a streaming service. You're on your own with that one.

Ryan.

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Some of y'all are about 4 months late to finding out about this.

Like just by looking at some of the shows they have lined y'all up didn't think they would be connected to the films?

Deception

Nov 15, 2017
You are going to see frustration in having to do extra homework to understand what it is even going on.
What? Critics are going to be mad that they have to do "more" work? This is a weak argument.

Before it would be "Hey, Black Widow has a new haircut, what's that about? Guess we'll never find out"
Now it'll be, "Hey, Black Widow has the same haircut that she had in the Black Widow Disney+ series, I know exactly what she was doing between the last movie."

I don't see how that's a bad thing.

May 26, 2018
Lol at being concerned about the convenience of watching a TV show via a streaming service. You're on your own with that one.

wtf dude? I'm legitimately trying to have a conversation with you. If you read my entire post you'll see I'm accepting your points have merit, but are still worth discussing based on history.

edit: oh and thanks for editing your post to not say I'm concern trolling anymore.

xxracerxx

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
You are going to see frustration in having to do extra homework to understand what it is even going on.
You really think they are going to pull that much from the shows? Your average viewer (and critic) will be able to understand the movies without having seen the shows. Knowing the shows will just give you more context for some things.

excelsiorlef

Bad Praxis
Oct 25, 2017
He's trying to get my precious bodily fluids with this making the Tv shows matter horseshit. We should protest!!!!

Deleted member 11008

User requested account closure
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Honestly, you didn't need to watch Antman 2 before Endgame because Scott(Antman) tells you what happened.

Yep. I wasn't expecting Ant-Man 2 tell a lot about Infinity War or what was going to happen to Endgame, I went because I liked Ant-Man and I wanted see the The Wasp. I got fun scenes with characters I'm invested. That's why I never watched Thor Dark World and only consider the to like him with Ragnarok.

Yasuke

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
wtf dude? I'm legitimately trying to have a conversation with you. If you read my entire post you'll see I'm accepting your points have merit, but are still worth discussing based on history.

And we're having that conversation now. I think your concern is silly, and I said why; people who want to consume it all will do so conveniently.

If my soon-to-be 50 year old mother can get a handle on this stuff, I'm not about to hold my breath on this being some great struggle for anybody.

Blader

Oct 27, 2017
How does this tackle the issue of everything being in a singular medium, though? People don't like to jump through hoops when half the draw of the entertainment is convenience. Inter-media has been tried multiple times before, to extremely varying results. People might miss out on what isn't "primary." So if it's a movie and a show, they'll see the movie but maybe not the show. If it's a movie and a game, same thing.

If it's a show and a comic, they'll probably see the show and not read the comic.

Could the movie+show MCU thing succeed? It could. You're right that the MCU has broken precedent before. But up to now inter-media has not been great for the masses keeping up on canon.
The masses haven't kept up with watching every single MCU movie either. Far more people watched Endgame than they saw Thor: The Dark World. The latter ended up being pretty important for the former. Yet, I don't think anyone was confused by the scenes of Thor and his mother.

The general public seems to roll with all this continuity a lot easier than the people who have kept up, but are concerned about how the masses will deal, tend to think.

Wanderer5

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Somewhere.
Not surprising. I mean wasn't it already confirmed that Wandavision was connected to Doctor Strange 2 for one? Plus stuff like
The Falcon and the Winter Soldier and Hawkeye are going to bring in new status quos basically (Sam probably becoming the new Captain America and Kate coming in to become the new Hawkeye).

Maybe it won't be a big deal for at least most cases if you skip out however.

Kayla

Oct 28, 2017
So what's wrong with just watching everything marvel if you're a fan anyway?

May 26, 2018
The masses haven't kept up with watching every single MCU movie either. Far more people watched Endgame than they saw Thor: The Dark World. The latter ended up being pretty important for the former. Yet, I don't think anyone was confused by the scenes of Thor and his mother.

The general public seems to roll with all this continuity a lot easier than the people who have kept up, but are concerned about how the masses will deal, tend to think.

So then Feige isn't really right about needing to get Disney+ to understand the upcoming movies? Like, it's kind of an over exaggeration.

excelsiorlef

Bad Praxis
Oct 25, 2017
If I was Disney I might consider firing Feige over this tbh. A smart person would know that the Disney Plus shows should be pointless and irrelevant.

metalslimer

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I mean didn't people want the shows and movies connected? That was one of the biggest problems with netflix marvel. It was like some side universe. They arent going to make things central to the story hidden behind disney plus shows but there will probably be crossover with characters and references to events of the shows.

mreddie

Oct 26, 2017
Yeah, it's not like previous MCU movies haven't been decent about catching you up on basic details if you missed something. The only movie that really struggles with this is probably Civil War.
Yep because it expects you to see everything up to that point and even then, the conflict is dropped in favor of the Bucky stuff.

Deleted member 1476

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
d97.jpg

chezzymann

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Marvel movie plots are simple so not really. There may be a few conversations here and there that wouldnt make sense but that's it.

Sephzilla

Herald of Stoptimus Crime
Oct 25, 2017
Yep because it expects you to see everything up to that point and even then, the conflict is dropped in favor of the Bucky stuff.
Yeah Civil War is the only one that's tough to come into if you missed something because that movie pulls shit from a bunch of movies, honestly.

Oct 25, 2017
Houston
Who suggested there wasn't? You're kidding yourself if you don't think you'll have to subscribe for multiple months out of the year though when they release up to three movies a year.
$7 times 3 still less than price of the 4 films they put out a year max
doesn't even factor in you can just meet up with friends and watch it on someone else's account (or realistically account sharing)

Yasuke

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So then Feige isn't really right about needing to get Disney+ to understand the upcoming movies? Like, it's kind of an over exaggeration.

He said you'd need to be subscribed to understand everything.

That's always been true of the movies. There's a grey area between "I haven't seen all the movies, but I understand more than enough to enjoy the latest addition" and "I've seen all the movies and understand everything happening".

DeathPeak

Oct 27, 2017
"Oh great! More media that I have to watch to completely understand every minute detail to the media I was already enjoying." Lol. No one is forcing you to be THAT invested in Marvel movies.

tolkir

Oct 25, 2017
Is it in both sense? I mean, will I have to see the new movies to understand the TV shows? Because I don't want to see every MCU movie after FFH.

Sandstar

Oct 28, 2017
But you're paying multiple months of that on top of the movie ticket now. Your price just went up overall.

You can pay for 1 month a year, and binge all the MCU content, and pay less than one movie ticket. How did your price go up that much? In 2 years, you'll have 4 MCU series to watch (Hawkeye, Falcon, Wandavision, and What If?) that you can binge in on month, and that would be like 30 hours of content, which about half of the current total amount of content in the MCU. For 6-10 dollars. It's actually an amazing deal, if you only buy disney+ for a month or 2.

mreddie

Oct 26, 2017
Yeah Civil War is the only one that's tough to come into if you missed something because that movie pulls shit from a bunch of movies, honestly.
The reason Phase 3 was so friendly because while Civil War was the basis to everything, it honestly felt first time friendly, also helped that Panther kinda addresses it but it's is own thing, Strange and Cap Marvel as well. Spidey kinda counts too.

Darknight

"I'd buy that for a dollar!"
Oct 25, 2017
$7 times 3 still less than price of the 4 films they put out a year max
doesn't even factor in you can just meet up with friends and watch it on someone else's account (or realistically account sharing)

It doesn't matter that it costs less. The point is you're paying that in addition to the movie tickets. It's not an either or situation. It's in addition to what you're already paying. The price of admission for the full experience just went up. It's smart of Disney but let's recognize what it is here.

Blader

Oct 27, 2017
If you want to understand *everything* then you should probably watch *everything*. But watching a Marvel movie has never required having total background knowledge either. A lot of times its actually been moments where people didn't know what was happening (Nick Fury tag at the end of Iron Man, Thanos tag at the end of Avengers, Captain Marvel tag at the end of Infinity War) that end up fueling hype.
If I was Disney I might consider firing Feige over this tbh. A smart person would know that the Disney Plus shows should be pointless and irrelevant.
lol

chezzymann

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It doesn't matter that it costs less. The point is you're paying that in addition to the movie tickets. It's not an either or situation. It's in addition to what you're already paying. The price of admission for the full experience just went up. It's smart of Disney but let's recognize what it is here.
But there's also hours more content and you can watch other non marvel stuff on Disney + so it's not an issue imo

Sephzilla

Herald of Stoptimus Crime
Oct 25, 2017
I mean, his quote is that you'll need to watch the shows to understand everything. Not "you need to watch the TV shows to be able to understand the base plot of the movie". It sounds more like he's saying the Disney+ shows will be for the MCU completionists who want to understand every small reference.

Darknight

"I'd buy that for a dollar!"
Oct 25, 2017
You can pay for 1 month a year, and binge all the MCU content, and pay less than one movie ticket. How did your price go up that much? In 2 years, you'll have 4 MCU series to watch (Hawkeye, Falcon, Wandavision, and What If?) that you can binge in on month, and that would be like 30 hours of content, which about half of the current total amount of content in the MCU. For 6-10 dollars. It's actually an amazing deal, if you only buy disney+ for a month or 2.

You might not be able to do that if you want to watch all the films in the theater though. They're going to spread that content out throughout the year and some of that content is going to fit in before specific movies. So you're going to at least need to subscribe to multiple months.