• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Deleted member 224

Oct 25, 2017
Isn't this what we were all asking for? Don't we want a Ms. Marvel, She Hulk, and Moonknight without having to wait up to a decade for a movie spot to open up? Don't we also want these characters to play roles in movies?

Josh5890

I'm Your Favorite Poster's Favorite Poster
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
It makes sense. More and more media is moving from old ways of watching on regular TV channels and movie screens to direct to video/digital.

It isn't like watching the films were free to begin with, so I don't see the big deal with paying for Disney +.

Oct 25, 2017
Atlanta GA
We think this is a bad thing?

Disney+ is certainly the cheapest way to view the MCU.
7$ and the whole family can watch it at home.

Hell, a year of Disney+ is cheaper than a single night at the cinema for a family of 4.

Well the complete MCU won't be on Disney+ for a while (or never counting Spider-Man) but yeah. For most people who hate the sound of what Feige is saying I think its more of a time investment than a price of admission thing.

Deleted member 9479

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
"Understand everything" doesn't mean "be able to follow and enjoy". It'll probably be mostly transparent. But hey don't let me stop you from "fuck this I'm out" 😅

Deleted member 224

Oct 25, 2017
Well the complete MCU won't be on Disney+ for a while (or never counting Spider-Man) but yeah. For most people who hate the sound of what Feige is saying I think its more of a time investment than a price of admission thing.
Just read the wiki pages. The alternative is these characters don't show up in the movies.

hikarutilmitt

Dec 16, 2017
Where are all those people from the Scorsese thread talking about how marvel isn't hurting cinema

This already sucked when they did it with Age of Ultron.
What about Age of Ultron..?

Right, like how captain marvel and Ant-Man and the Wasp were totally essential for endgame (they really weren't) or how Far from home closed the arc of phase 3 (that's debatable at best).
This is more or less my take. All of the Marvel movies can exist alone and some can be skipped, seeing them all just furthers the lore, not the plot of the movie you're watching. It's easy to machete order the MCU down to about half of its movies or less and still know who everyone in a given movie is by the time you reach Endgame.

Oct 25, 2017
It's the reason I haven't seen a single Marvel movie yet.

I was originally interested in Black Panther, but to understand what's going on I need to see Captain America Civil War, and that is the third Captain America movie so I need to see the two others. But the titular "civil war" refers to Captain America vs Iron Man, so to understand that I also need to see all the Iron Man movies. But in the middle, we also have Avengers movies which are the "big ones" that MUST be seen to understand any of these movies and there were two of them out at the time.

And that created a total of 8 pre-requisite movies before I can see Black Panther and that was before anyone had even thought of a Disney+ so it's quite difficult to watch all of them if I'm not paying full price for every Blu-ray so I just gave up.

KayMote

Nov 5, 2017
Wow, Disney truly feels like a snake that wraps around you in its entirety to squeeze you to death with content.

Zemst

Oct 27, 2017
They could put half thesecret plot of these things in the episodic shows and leave everyone dumbfounded and the fans will respond by telling you "it's was explained in episode XYZ" only going to get worse.

Youngfossil

Oct 27, 2017

I was originally interested in Black Panther, but to understand what's going on I need to see Captain America Civil War, and that is the third Captain America movie so I need to see the two others. But the titular "civil war" refers to Captain America vs Iron Man, so to understand that I also need to see all the Iron Man movies. But in the middle, we also have Avengers movies which are the "big ones" that MUST be seen to understand any of these movies and there were two of them out at the time.

And that created a total of 8 pre-requisite movies before I can see Black Panther and that was before anyone had even thought of a Disney+ so it's quite difficult to watch all of them if I'm not paying full price for every Blu-ray so I just gave up.
You made this this up so you dont have to see it. You can go into Black Panther without seeing any marvel movie. If you dont want to watch the films just say it, no reason to do this whole song and dance.

Hell you can watch any marvel movie that's not an event and not need previous knowledge

Vlad

Oct 25, 2017

Actually, if Black Panther is the one you were interested in, you could probably watch that one by itself without missing a whole lot. While yes, there are a few characters that showed up in previous MCU movies, the BP movie itself is pretty stand-alone, aside from the post-credits scene.

Blader

Oct 27, 2017

Aside from its all-the-way-after-the-credits last scene, Black Panther is completely standalone. Given its box office you could probably assume many people who saw it never saw Civil War or any other Marvel movie.

Tamanon

Oct 25, 2017
While a bit slimy, I expect the "you need to watch!" bit is way overblown. It'll be minor plot points that they'll explain anyways.

CaptainKashup

Banned
May 10, 2018
I'm an ultra fan of the MCU but I really don't think this is a good idea, this just gonna alienate the general audience.

V_Arnold

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Hungary
Marvel already had that FOMO vibe going on that they tried to push with the all-encompassing events. It even sucked me back after all these years (with Hickman's new X-Men stuff).

They steering the movies towards it is a move that makes sense for their capitalistic nature, and it has zero sense artistically. But: their target audience does not give two shits about that.

Cross

Oct 25, 2017
uZdX2bHuO6B2LhwZEhSZsoE8vkJAWgYfG16nGmDlODMfgHTCtOMjHix3VQk-l2M6EL21EIsEIyCBCTxdHhkCqV6MVoBl8k3g39N5tcQgNFFjpKVMOoQsmN7z6NumJzNSMlMp6w=w443-h332

DrROBschiz

Oct 25, 2017
Considering that most average people already have enjoyed the past 22 movies without having seen them all anyways im not concerned in the slightest

This is gravy to marvel fans and a commitment to doing in media what the comic have already done on print

I love it and hope that with Feige calling the shots and larger budgets that these shows wow me in ways AOS and Netflix shows never could

Nepenthe

When the music hits, you feel no pain.
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
How? If I told you that you could pay $7 once a year to watch over 30 hours of new MCU content that would seem like a bad deal?
I'm not a fan of stratifying content in general like this. I don't wanna have to pay a yearly fee to be able to understand some superhero blockbuster films that I'm gonna have to pay $30 to see at the end of the day anyway.

Youngfossil

Oct 27, 2017
Marvel already had that FOMO vibe going on that they tried to push with the all-encompassing events. It even sucked me back after all these years (with Hickman's new X-Men stuff).

They steering the movies towards it is a move that makes sense for their capitalistic nature, and it has zero sense artistically. But: their target audience does not give two shits about that.
So comics make zero sense artistically?

Craymond

Oct 28, 2017
Portland
I love how people spent six years bitching that Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. and other shows didn't connect to the movies in any way and now they're actually doing it and it's suddenly a problem.

You pay like $15 a ticket to go see a Marvel movie in theaters but $6 a month to watch six episodes of TV with the same production values that's connected to said films is some kind of scam?
I'm curious if the production will be the same quality level as the movies. Time will tell but the pessimist in me says no.

That said I'mglad the shows will be incredibly relevant to the MCU.

xxracerxx

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I'm probably going to still buy I just don't like some of these tactics they use to feel forced to buy.

Have you read the thread? Lots of people in here have a problem with this.
People seem to have a problem with it because, for some weird reason, they think the shows are required viewing to understand the movies.

DrROBschiz

Oct 25, 2017
I'm curious if the production will be the same quality level as the movies. Time will tell but the pessimist in me says no.

That said I'mglad the shows will be incredibly relevant to the MCU.

Budgets appear to be rivaling what HBO spends on their high budget productions so paired with the right talent they could be quite good and great content to build up to movie drops in the gaps

Obviously this whole initiative is fan targeted so the blowback doesn't surprise me

Maybe they can get the world they want with DC ;p

Oct 25, 2017
"Understand everything" doesn't mean "be able to follow and enjoy". It'll probably be mostly transparent. But hey don't let me stop you from "fuck this I'm out" 😅

This; technically if you want to understand EVERYTHING that happens in every MCU movie, you need to see every MCU movie because everything is connected and blah blah blah. That's already happening, and it doesn't seem like people who didn't see Ant Man and the Wasp or Dr. Strange felt Endgame was weaker because they didn't necessarily 'get' everything happening.

If the Disney+ stuff is incorporated into the overall universe like the movies, then it doesn't seem like this is horrible?

xxracerxx

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I'm not a fan of stratifying content in general like this. I don't wanna have to pay a yearly fee to be able to understand some superhero blockbuster films that I'm gonna have to pay $30 to see at the end of the day anyway.
I sincerely doubt you won't be able to understand what is going on in the movies if you haven't seen the shows.

Smoolio

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I think this is awesome, I would also be fine with tie-in games, comics and radio plays though so im probably not a good example.