• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

TableBeRound

Alt account
Banned
Oct 21, 2019
If you're not a MCU fan then this doesn't affect you in any way. If you are an MCU fan then why wouldn't you want this?

DrROBschiz

Oct 25, 2017
If you're not a MCU fan then this doesn't affect you in any way. If you are an MCU fan then why wouldn't you want this?

Thats my take but people are building artificial walls about how they wont understand if they dont watch everything

You have a damn hand computer in your fucking pocket. Watch a 5 minute recap gotdamn

Richiek

Nov 2, 2017
I'm curious if the production will be the same quality level as the movies. Time will tell but the pessimist in me says no.

That said I'mglad the shows will be incredibly relevant to the MCU.

Marvel is spending $25 million per episode. That's more than Game of Thrones ($10 million per episode) and way more than the dingy hallway fest of the Marvel Netflix shows.

Deception

Nov 15, 2017
I'm not a fan of stratifying content in general like this. I don't wanna have to pay a yearly fee to be able to understand some superhero blockbuster films that I'm gonna have to pay $30 to see at the end of the day anyway.
If you're not that dedicated to the franchise than you won't have to pay a yearly fee and can pay for one month and get all the relevant content.

These shows will be for those instances in an MCU movie where a character says "hey remember that thing we did last month" and you go "what thing? that didn't happen in this movie" and they give a few lines to explain. Well now, on top of those few lines, you'll have a choice to watch a 6-9 hour show that'll explain those lines in greater detail. If you don't watch it then you'll be fine, but if you do watch it then you'll have a better understanding of the joke. Franchises have been doing this for ages with books, comics, one-shots, etc so it's nice that we will finally have that with the same actors and characters we've grown to know and like.

Dakkon

Oct 27, 2017
What about Age of Ultron..?

The Avengers attack on Hydra at the start was information given to them thru SHIELD via Agent Coulson in Agents of SHIELD.

The carrier Nick Fury has at the end that he "got from a friend" was from Agent Coulson who had SHIELD build it, also in Agents of SHIELD.

IDK why the guy you replied to thinks it sucked tho, IMO this is the perfect kind of its all connected. If you didn't watch AoS you're not really negatively affected, but if you did watch AoS it's just a little bit of clarity.

Nepenthe

When the music hits, you feel no pain.
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
I sincerely doubt you won't be able to understand what is going on in the movies if you haven't seen the shows.
Then it's a bit overselling to say the shows are necessary innit? Might as well say there will be more references to other media, which isn't all that out of the ordinary with a comic franchise.

xxracerxx

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Then it's a bit overselling to say the shows are necessary innit? Might as well say there will be more references to other media, which isn't all that out of the ordinary with a comic franchise.
But that is what he did say. "Understand everything" just means there will be mentions of what happened in the shows, much like how you don't have to watch every MCU film to understand what is going on in Avengers movies.

Deleted member 42055

User requested account closure
Banned
Apr 12, 2018
if they are shit corps why they so thirsty for their content

Lol I swear I was just typing something else. I mean .. there is a lot of that in everything . Separate art from the artist and all that.
Ex/
I don't like X company but they just hired someone I love to helm a show that I want to see
I don't like X musician as an individual but their music still interests me *coughs in Kanye*

We make compromises on stuff like this all the time.

OT though if the show are good that's really all that matters. If they're a slog to get through... I doubt that though. They have perfected their formula at this point.If it's a $ sub thing then wait and use a free trial or pay for a month and binge. Or I mean... you know people will be sharing account logins

hikarutilmitt

Dec 16, 2017
The Avengers attack on Hydra at the start was information given to them thru SHIELD via Agent Coulson in Agents of SHIELD.

The carrier Nick Fury has at the end that he "got from a friend" was from Agent Coulson who had SHIELD build it, also in Agents of SHIELD.

IDK why the guy you replied to thinks it sucked tho, IMO this is the perfect kind of its all connected. If you didn't watch AoS you're not really negatively affected, but if you did watch AoS it's just a little bit of clarity.
I thought it was something more, I dunno, specific than a couple of offhanded comments, haha. It didn't affect anyone not watching AOS, the events of the movies were only occasionally mentioned in the show when they happened (WS, AOU, etc) and the only real crossovers that were of any consequence were Fury, Sif and... that was it. for some reason y brain is telling me that Maria Hill showed up, yet at the same time that she didn't.

Kreed

The Negro Historian
Oct 25, 2017
  • People get mad when the Netflix shows didn't matter to the MCU
  • People get mad when the Disney+ shows matter to the MCU

It really stands out when some of the posters complaining have been in multiple discussion threads for these Disney+ shows already discussing the contents of said shows, but are "surprised" by this announcement somehow.

Senator Toadstool

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
You won't "need" to have a subscription. I'll just provide more backstory. The main plots will always be in the films.

Stoopkid

Oct 27, 2017
This is literally the same thing with the movies like now. Not sure why this is a problem now.

night814

One Winged Slayer
Oct 29, 2017
Pennsylvania
There shouldn't be a single doubt that Feigi is over selling this, he's trying to push subs for Disney+ and using his Branch at Disney to hype it up.

Lebron

Oct 30, 2017
Lol some of y'all ain't slick. Never watch any Arrowverse show

How is this new? They basically spelled that out after casting the current MCU actors in their own exclusive shows on the service.

Yasuke

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

He said you'd need it to understand everything.

There's a gigantic chasm between "I understand everything" and "I understand enough to enjoy the movie".

Come on, y'all.

Shame it's not a worldwide launch then hey Disney

The first show is more than a year away, I doubt Disney+ won't be rolled out everywhere by then

Shaun Solo

Oct 25, 2017
Because not everyone has the time (or willpower) to watch several bland shows in addition to several bland movies just to keep updated on a single story.

I'm out lol
lmao I'm sure you're absolutely gutted about not being able to keep up with what you describe as "bland" movies.

Whole thread is people who never gave a fuck complaining about why they will continue to not give a fuck

cLOUDo

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Are people seriously defending this with the "is just 7usd, there is a lot of content"?

I remind you that Disney+ isn't have a release date in a lot of country (my country included)

So even if a wanna pay for the service (which I don't wanna BTW) I can't do it because is not available in my country
Good move Disney

Oct 27, 2017
Meh. If Disney is going to rely on nothing but MCU and Star Wars original series, they're not going to drive a lot of growth.

Not convinced the MCU miniseries will be any decent either.

sangreal

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm sure I can just read the context here and elsewhere

I did that 3-year deal but not really interested in Marvel TV shows

Oct 27, 2017
What? Is that all they are doing? (it's not).
Do they have anything of note that looks enticing lined up or announced outside of those properties when it comes to original series? Nope. They've got re-imagined remakes of mediocre properties coming though.

Outside of their library and MCU + Star Wars, Disney+'s content is non existent.

xxracerxx

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Do they have anything of note that looks enticing lined up or announced outside of those properties when it comes to original series? Nope. They've got re-imagined remakes of mediocre properties coming though.
Depends on your definition of "of note" is. They have series that may not entice you personally, but they are definitely not aiming for just MCU or Star Wars audiences.

Oct 27, 2017
The Netflix shows were criticised because they didn't tie in with the movies and now they're criticised because they tie in. They can't win.

Deleted member 2533

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Has anyone ever said it was hard? Where are you getting this?

It's obviously harder to write a film that needs to fit the continuity of 20 previous films and also has to dovetail into the plots of several upcoming future films that other people are simultaneously working on than it is writing a film that's self-contained, what do you mean "where am I getting this?"

Oct 31, 2017
So what. I'm not dedicating all of my free time to Marvel ffs. Get bent, Feige. Write movies that stand on their own. Don't bring comics problem of having to buy tie-ins to follow stories to movies!

The movies do stand on their own. Feige is a fan of movies being able to stand on their own, but having enough there that hardcore fans keep getting something out of it on their 2nd, 3rd, 10th rewatch. IIRC he loved knowing that everyone in the cantina had a name and backstory and whatnot.

Of course you didn't need to read that to enjoy ANH and SW, but if you did you got more into the lore. That's what these shows are for. You don't need to watch them, but for people who want to they'll get more out of the experience. These shows are just an expansion of the universe. There have been comics tie in that shows Black Widow apprehended the leader during TIH, for example.

KenobiLTS

Banned
Nov 27, 2018
I don't give a shit about any of your upcoming movies, as long as it doesn't hurt my understanding in GOTG 3 and Thor 4 I don't care, i just want those movies.

Double 0

Nov 5, 2017
There are literally only two Marvel movies that someone just walking in could possibly be lost watching.

Infinity War and Endgame.

So I don't buy this being a problem. Just don't watch the D+ shows if you don't want to.

BossAttack

Oct 27, 2017

That article has such a weird title like it's some risky bet. Disney's "Media Networks" ie TV revenue is 44% of its operating income, it's Parks and Resorts is 34% of the companies revenue. "Studio Entertainment" ie films is only 15%. Of course, Iger is putting a lot into streaming, that's where the company's money is, not the film business.

This is also why people should not be thinking Disney shows are going to be some low-budget, hallway fight shows. Disney+ is going to be the flagship earner for the company right alongside their normal cable services, they are going to be sure to invest a lot in it to attract and maintain viewers.