• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

hodayathink

Oct 25, 2017
That article has such a weird title like it's some risky bet. Disney's "Media Networks" ie TV revenue is 44% of its operating income, it's Parks and Resorts is 34% of the companies revenue. "Studio Entertainment" ie films is only 15%. Of course, Iger is putting a lot into streaming, that's where the company's money is, not the film business.

This is also why people should not be thinking Disney shows are going to be some low-budget, hallway fight shows. Disney+ is going to be the flagship earner for the company right alongside their normal cable services, they are going to be sure to invest a lot in it to attract and maintain viewers.

Except that the what Disney+ is looking to replace/usurp is the TV revenue. Everyone knows cable is falling, and all of these content creators are hoping they can build up their platforms faster than the demise of cable, which is in no way, shape or form a guarantee.

Sandstar

Oct 28, 2017
It's the reason I haven't seen a single Marvel movie yet.

I was originally interested in Black Panther, but to understand what's going on I need to see Captain America Civil War, and that is the third Captain America movie so I need to see the two others. But the titular "civil war" refers to Captain America vs Iron Man, so to understand that I also need to see all the Iron Man movies. But in the middle, we also have Avengers movies which are the "big ones" that MUST be seen to understand any of these movies and there were two of them out at the time.

And that created a total of 8 pre-requisite movies before I can see Black Panther and that was before anyone had even thought of a Disney+ so it's quite difficult to watch all of them if I'm not paying full price for every Blu-ray so I just gave up.

My parents have seen all of one MCU movie, black panther. They liked it, and followed it just fine. You're making a big deal out of *nothing*.

Chaos Legion

The Wise Ones
Oct 30, 2017
Gonna be ugly when D+ is like $20/mo. to actually justify Disney betting the farm on streaming.

I skip MCU films I have no interest in (Age of Ultron, IM3, Ant-Man 2) already so doesn't matter either way. Just read the synopsis and the billion of articles that will tie it into the movie.

Probably not a bad side hussle.

Aprikurt

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 29, 2017
I know it's corporate manipulation. I know the word "synergy" was used half a dozen times planning this out.

But I'm eating this shit up. Pure comics baby. Little boxes with asterisks saying "Read Issue #245 to know what the fuck this panel's talking about". Let's be real here, people watching every MCU film are going to have a Disney+ sub. They probably just will.

takriel

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Thank God I don't care one bit about any of this. Just ever so slightly to reply in this thread, ofc.

CommodoreKong

Oct 25, 2017
I love that people are freaking out here and saying they'll stop watching MCU movies when there's no way they're going to make them impossible for people to understand if they don't watch the Disney+ series. Sure you might miss out on a little bit of back story or character introduction but that's true of most of the MCU movies so far if you skip some of them.

Big-E

Oct 25, 2017
Hate this shit. If I have to read or watch something in order for your movie or other property to make sense, you fucking failed. The Star Trek reboot had this problem. Stop doing this.

xxracerxx

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Hate this shit. If I have to read or watch something in order for your movie or other property to make sense, you fucking failed. The Star Trek reboot had this problem. Stop doing this.
Winks and nods to other shows/movies doesn't mean the movie you are watching currently doesn't make sense.

Big-E

Oct 25, 2017
Winks and nods to other shows/movies doesn't mean the movie you are watching currently doesn't make sense.

It remains to be scene what this is. I remember the Star Trek example having some key background information in some comic. Think there was a problem with Halo 4 as well as you need some other piece to understand shit.

Like if you get a scene where one character is super pissed at another character and you don't know why but it is obvious if you watched or read the supplements, that could be difficult and jarring in a film.

Vern

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I don't know... I haven't seen every MCU movie and I still 'understood' everything. They aren't complicated films. I might not know who all the characters are and some little details that don't matter I might miss, but the plot of each movie is as simple as they come so kids can watch them and follow along. You aren't missing anything by missing half the films, and you definitely won't be missing anything by skipping the tv shows. In fact you'll probably be gaining a lot by not watching all that crap.

Bumrush

Oct 25, 2017
He's saying that stuff will tie in, which you should hope for if you're watching the shows.

It's not going to be a situation where you feel like you just watched Primer unless you watch the shows or something

Lotus

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Awesome news to see further confirm they're going all in on these Disney+ shows, exactly what I want to hear

I love how people spent six years bitching that Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. and other shows didn't connect to the movies in any way and now they're actually doing it and it's suddenly a problem.

You pay like $15 a ticket to go see a Marvel movie in theaters but $6 a month to watch six episodes of TV with the same production values that's connected to said films is some kind of scam?

Lmao right

JTSilver

Games Actor
Verified
Sep 1, 2019
Marvel movies are usually pretty good about catching people up in a sentence or two, so those who don't watch the shows will probably still be fine for the most part.

xxracerxx

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
It remains to be scene what this is. I remember the Star Trek example having some key background information in some comic. Think there was a problem with Halo 4 as well as you need some other piece to understand shit.

Like if you get a scene where one character is super pissed at another character and you don't know why but it is obvious if you watched or read the supplements, that could be difficult and jarring in a film.
Even if a character is upset at another character, they have been pretty good about mentioning it in the film you are watching (Steve and Tony for example).

What was the Star Trek situation you are talking about?

Trickster

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
If you like the MCU I'm honestly not sure why this would be an issue. You don't mind paying for a movie ticket, but paying a few bucks to see MCU shows on a streaming service is somehow bad?

Gundam

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Not if you pirate it. I'm sure plenty of people will eat this up but I wonder how many people see this as a good thing

Deleted member 8468

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I'm assuming this is going to be exactly like comic books have been forever. You'll get 99% of the plot from the movie/event alone, and they'll be a couple throwaway lines to resolve some plot line going on in the series/character books. Not surprising in the least.

Lotus

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Yep. I haven't watched one episode of a Marvel show and was never lost in the Marvel movies. The shows are pretty much spin-offs.

You were never lost because they never made an effort to have the movies reference the TV shows. That's only changing now.

Not to say that henceforth you're guaranteed to be lost or anything if you don't watch the shows, but the Disney+ shows are the first shows to be unambiguously connected to the movies, or even helps set them up (WandaVision for example), no asterisks or anything.

onyx

Dec 25, 2017
If you like the MCU I'm honestly not sure why this would be an issue. You don't mind paying for a movie ticket, but paying a few bucks to see MCU shows on a streaming service is somehow bad?

For me the problem isn't money, but time. I don't have the time to invest in watching a bunch of shows to understand what's going on in a movie. I wanted the shows to be connected but not to the point that they are required to understand what is going on.

Bio

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Denver, Colorado
Guess I'm done with Marvel movies at some point, then, because fuck if I'm going to watch a bunch of shows I'm not interested in just so I can understand the movies.

iKhameleon

Oct 27, 2017
More of the things I already enjoy... OH GOD NO!

Note, that he says "to understand everything..." not "to understand anything in future movies". It's no different than skipping a few of the previous MCU movies. You might miss out on some minor plot points. The major overall story will obviously be made clear through storytelling, dialogue, flashbacks.etc.. just like in past movies.

xxracerxx

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Guess I'm done with Marvel movies at some point, then, because fuck if I'm going to watch a bunch of shows I'm not interested in just so I can understand the movies.
How are people still saying stuff like this? You really think, truly, that Marvel are going to make the movies inaccessible to the viewer unless they have watched the shows? Really?

alr1ght

Oct 25, 2017
It's almost as if the MCU is all interconnected in order to boost ticket sales, and not due to some artistic decision.

xxracerxx

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
It's the reason I haven't seen a single Marvel movie yet.

I was originally interested in Black Panther, but to understand what's going on I need to see Captain America Civil War, and that is the third Captain America movie so I need to see the two others. But the titular "civil war" refers to Captain America vs Iron Man, so to understand that I also need to see all the Iron Man movies. But in the middle, we also have Avengers movies which are the "big ones" that MUST be seen to understand any of these movies and there were two of them out at the time.

And that created a total of 8 pre-requisite movies before I can see Black Panther and that was before anyone had even thought of a Disney+ so it's quite difficult to watch all of them if I'm not paying full price for every Blu-ray so I just gave up.
You really, really do not have to see the others to understand what is going on in Black Panther.

UnderSiege

Mar 5, 2019
It's almost as if the MCU is all interconnected in order to boost ticket sales, and not due to some artistic decision.
Of course it is (also) to boost ticket sales. It's pretty silly to deny the role of any artistic decision though. After all, the interconnectedness started with Iron Man, with Fury showing up in the post credits scene. That had zero to do with boosting ticket sales. That had to do with Fiege being a fan of the comics and wanting to put that in there because the fans knew what it meant and surely he hoped to one day be able to make an Avengers movie. Creating an interconnected live action universe because that's what Marvel comics did since the beginning is as much a creative decision by Feige as it can be. That doesn't exclude financial motivations by others (and Feige), of course.

Exactly.

Tace

Avenger
Nov 1, 2017
The Rapscallion
I honestly don't think Feige went for a interconnected universe to boost ticket sales but because he wanted to replicate the comics he loved so much. To bring those characters to screen in the way he felt was most authentic.

It is boosting ticket sales, but that's what happens when you make movies and characters people like. It's not the reason the decision for a interconnected universe was made.

If the movies didn't make money I think it would still all be connected. That was always Feige's intention

Bigwombat

Banned
Nov 30, 2018
I could just read a synopsis on, I don't know, the internet to figure shit out that I missed on Disney+. I might try their service out some day but I'm not holding my breath

ABK281

Apr 5, 2018
Welp luckily for my wallet I've seen the light and haven't watched any of Marvel's movies in that last 1-2 years.