• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

WoahW

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
What conversation is there to be had about Marvel stuff? Every IRL convo I have had always is this:

Person 1: Did you see Endgame?
Me: Yeah, it was alright.
Person 1: Yeah.

I have never ever ever had or even heard long convos or about the MCU. I even go to boardgame bars and shit and it's actually not that common. For all the money they make, they don't inspire much conversation outside of like nerd places.

Lmao your circle of friends and you must have such deep insightful convos since none of you discuss anything MCU wise.

Hey the whole worlds talking about Endgame..."Yeah but like chips are crunchy"

JustTom

May 28, 2018
Germany...
Guess I left the ship at the right moment. Marvel Movies and I estranged each other a while back but I kept watching to get closure (Process started with Iron Man 3). Glad I am done with these movies cause I don't see myself watching all these series to understand movies I no longer enjoy (only to get closure).

Lord Vatek

Avenger
Jan 18, 2018
I'm honestly forced to conclude that the people who are surprised by this had no interest in watching future movies anyway because anyone who has been paying attention has known this for months.

Dalek

Oct 25, 2017
How are the people that complain about every MCU movie but continue to watch every MCU entry on opening day going to be able to contribute to the Disney+ show threads?

subpar spatula

Refuses to Wash his Ass
Oct 26, 2017
do you guys think disney will try and expand it even further? i think they should make animated series that tie in. maybe this can be its own seperate dimension within the MCU. then they could do a picture book medium that is also part of the MCU but another dimension. in that dimension, they watch movies of us.

Deleted member 16657

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
What conversation is there to be had about Marvel stuff? Every IRL convo I have had always is this:

Person 1: Did you see Endgame?
Me: Yeah, it was alright.
Person 1: Yeah.

I have never ever ever had or even heard long convos or about the MCU. I even go to boardgame bars and shit and it's actually not that common. For all the money they make, they don't inspire much conversation outside of like nerd places.

My friends and I talked a lot about the movies post-Infinity War. Lots of speculation about how Endgame would go down. Post Endgame we talked a lot about the various time travel wrinkles, the overall impact of the MCU, ranked every MCU movie and generally talked about what worked and didn't work in Endgame

Htown

Oct 25, 2017
For me the problem isn't money, but time. I don't have the time to invest in watching a bunch of shows to understand what's going on in a movie. I wanted the shows to be connected but not to the point that they are required to understand what is going on.
well, the hope is that you would invest time in the shows because the shows would also be worth watching

this isn't homework

Deleted member 16452

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I believe most of the new movies will still be able to stand on its own, you just won't get every single reference or call back.

I don't think it will be much different than how its been so far with the first 23 movies. Big events like an Avengers type situation will require a bit more background to get the full experience, similarly to how it's been so far.

Dec 31, 2017
"Probably" and "everything" are the keywords. This is clearly a YMMV type of thing.

Can't believe how quick the anti-MCU lynch mob gets triggered, as soon as a Disney exec ties the company line, tries to create buzz for a new product.

Osahi

Oct 27, 2017
The whole interconnection thing is little more than references and cameo's and team-ups. You can easiliy jump in the MCU at almost any point without being lost. Endgame might be the hardest, but you kind of only need to see IW before to get the picture there. They all tell standalone stories that at most jump of from a plotpoint in a previous one, and you always get enough context to understand what's going on. (Tony dying in Endgame is an inciting incident in Far From Home, but even if you missed Endgame you'l understand he's death and Spider-Man is his supposed successor. Black Panther was introduced in CW, but you can watch BP without seeing CW just fine, ..)

So you'll quite surely be able to skip these shows without being at a loss in the movies. You'll miss a reference or two, or see a character you haven't seen the origin story of or something, but they would have to completely rethink their storytelling strategy to make the movies impossible to watch without the shows. It would basically have to become a straightforward episode-style thing, where every movie picks up where the last one or the series left of and set-ups don't get payed of in the same chapter.

Galkinator

Chicken Chaser
Oct 27, 2017
Well it was pretty obvious the moment the MCU shows were announced. Clearly they didn't plan to go the Netflix route of having them in the pseudo MCU by referencing stuff but not really existing within that universe.
They might use the shows as connecting points between the "important" movies instead of relying on the non-event films

Sandstar

Oct 28, 2017
I'm kind of wondering how people deal with books that don't start with the birth of the main character, and follow them up to the point where the plot actually starts. How can you follow the book if you don't see how they meet their friends, and the like.

AlexBasch

Oct 27, 2017
"I'm so glad I'm not being forced to watch something I clearly dislike and have no interest at all, fuck Disney".

Wtf

Zombine

Oct 25, 2017
MCU Film: "You know Doctor Strange, this really is Wandavision."

People without Disney+: "What is going on?"

DSP

Oct 25, 2017
Actually all you need to follow is Disney+. I'm not paying for a ticket and dedicate a night to watch some MCU junk. They are pretty good for streaming though, I like that well enough.

TDLink

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Oh no, people are going to miss the meaning of a few lines that reference a TV show, or get a villain just as undercooked as most of these movies instead of learning more about them over several hours first, or have to deal with characters they never saw before randomly showing up like Black Panther in Civil War.

Spoilers: most people already don't watch every single one of these and have to deal with this "problem".

CaviarMeths

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Western Canada
Oh no my """homework""" of watching few hours of movies per year that I actually enjoy a lot is being increased to include a few hours of TV per year that I'll also probably enjoy a lot.

nampad

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Already stopped watching the movies because I somehow missed 1-2 of them and my OCD won't let me continue without watching everything.

This makes it way worse.

Sesha

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, that's not happening. All the forces in the universe couldn't get me to start watching shows.

Yasuke

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I believe most of the new movies will still be able to stand on its own, you just won't get every single reference or call back.

I don't think it will be much different than how its been so far with the first 23 movies. Big events like an Avengers type situation will require a bit more background to get the full experience, similarly to how it's been so far.

That this needs to be explained is depressing as hell.

Reading is critical, guys.

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
Basically. We're talking details here and there that you might miss out on cause you ain't watch an episode of a show. The movies will still function on their own.
Perfect example you don't need to watch Antman to enjoy Endgame, but you get some of the jokes if you did. The important stuff will be able to picked up by context and common sense......oh wait I just got why this thread is so long. Feige is talking to rational people......theres the proble

Ithil

Oct 25, 2017
I'm curious if the production will be the same quality level as the movies. Time will tell but the pessimist in me says no.

That said I'mglad the shows will be incredibly relevant to the MCU.
Last we heard there's some huge budgets being dropped on the TV shows, more than the Mandalorian which is already one of the most expensive TV shows.

Ithil

Oct 25, 2017
Because not everyone has the time (or willpower) to watch several bland shows in addition to several bland movies just to keep updated on a single story.

I'm out lol
I really have to laugh that this poster has to both inform us all of the very interesting and important note that he's "out" from watching films that are released, but also that he never liked them anyway, making you wonder why he apparently was "in" previously.