• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Kreed

The Negro Historian
Oct 25, 2017
Wait he said he won't apologize but now he stepped down+apologized?

I don't understand this move...

His PR team got to him.

Wait is he saying that he apologized in the past already for those twitter comments? Has anyone found one of the apologies or explanations?

Discussing this bit today, Hart says, "It's about my fear. I'm thinking about what I did as a dad, did I do something wrong, and if I did, what was it? Not that I'm not gonna love my son or think about him any differently. The funny thing within that joke is it's me getting mad at my son because of my own insecurities — I panicked. It has nothing to do with him, it's about me. That's the difference between bringing a joke across that's well thought-out and saying something just to ruffle feathers." Even so, he adds, "I wouldn't tell that joke today, because when I said it, the times weren't as sensitive as they are now. I think we love to make big deals out of things that aren't necessarily big deals, because we can. These things become public spectacles. So why set yourself up for failure?"

https://www.rollingstone.com/movies/movie-news/kevin-harts-funny-business-67836/

Deleted member 7051

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Being a celebrity and leaving tweets up for longer than 2 weeks. Yikesboyardee.

While he deserved this metaphorical kick in the teeth, it does just go to show that you have to either have a highly sanitised social media presence or one day something you wrote ten years ago can cost you a lot.

The weaponisation of social media like this is a little disconcerting. Common sense would dictate allowances were made for particularly old comments, especially if circumstances were different for that person when they were made and they've apologised since, but folks have been... ruthless so far.

Einchy

Oct 25, 2017
And literally he completely renders his subsequent apology worthless... like who, other than those who never had issue with him being clearly homophobic, is gonna buy his so called apology 2 hours after he refused to apologize.
Yeah, if he had apologized and said he changed, I would've probably bought that because a lot of people have different views about this stuff than they did 8 years ago. It's clear now that he still holds the same views and hasn't changed.

entremet

You wouldn't toast a NES cartridge
Oct 26, 2017
He bungled this.

He has a huge social media following, but he went the defensive route. All he needed to do was apologize on IG and Twitter and be done with it.

The pride is so crazy.

Deleted member 34385

Banned
Nov 26, 2017
User Banned (1 Month): Trolling, history of similar infractions while in junior phase.
his career is not fucked up, he said some bad shit in the past, but his fans will keep supporting him. But thankfully the reset era internet warrior race is here to crucify him and teach him a lesson. You go people, you show him how angry you are with him and how his life should be destroyed because a few tweets!

Lentic

Oct 27, 2017
This way he can act like the victim while going on a "politically incorrect/outrage" tour. Straight out of the modern stand up comedian's playbook.

LanceX2

Oct 25, 2017
Whos twitter we gonna search through next?
Just saying its getting to be a bit ridiculous.

ItIsOkBro

Happy New Year!!
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Kevin Hart, the same guy who publically apologized for cheating on his wife to get ahead of the story before it even broke, could not even muster up an apology for some shitty homophobic tweets? What a fucking idiot.

Bunzy

Banned
Nov 1, 2018
My steve Martin, Martin Short Oscar duo is happ... isn't it?

I'll take billy crystal too

LanceX2

Oct 25, 2017
Why be so concerned about the next homophobe? Needs to be 100% unrepenting too since for many people, the Oscars included, a simple apology would have sufficed.

Im not conxerned. Other then jumanji i dont catr for him but these tweets are over 8 years old.

He may mot have changed but if he hasnt said things like that then I dont see the issue.

James gunn is what bothers me. The guardians guy

Ketkat

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
While he deserved this metaphorical kick in the teeth, it does just go to show that you have to either have a highly sanitised social media presence or one day something you wrote ten years ago can cost you a lot.

The weaponisation of social media like this is a little disconcerting. Common sense would dictate allowances were made for particularly old comments, especially if circumstances were different for that person when they were made and they've apologised since, but folks have been... ruthless so far.

The thing is he didn't apologize, and he was refusing to until he actually found out that he was going to be fired. If someone has changed, then that's great, but refusing to apologize for it time and time again with the excuse of "I don't tell those jokes because people would make a big deal out of it now" doesn't show that he's learned or changed in any way.

TheOGB

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Even so, he adds, "I wouldn't tell that joke today, because when I said it, the times weren't as sensitive as they are now. I think we love to make big deals out of things that aren't necessarily big deals, because we can. These things become public spectacles. So why set yourself up for failure?"
https://www.rollingstone.com/movies/movie-news/kevin-harts-funny-business-67836/
Me reading this quote
giphy.gif

Whos twitter we gonna search through next?
Just saying its getting to be a bit ridiculous.
According to my dart board... Jack Black.

Deleted member 42

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 24, 2017
Oscars: Apologize or you're fired
Kevin: I refuse to apologize
*2 Hours Later*
Kevin: I apologize and I'm stepping down

Emmert

Banned
Oct 23, 2018
his career is not fucked up, he said some bad shit in the past, but his fans will keep supporting him. But thankfully the reset era internet warrior race is here to crucify him and teach him a lesson. You go people, you show him how angry you are with him and how his life should be destroyed because a few tweets!

Lmao. Of course people are angry with a homophobe. No one says his life should be destroyed. Maybe just apologize instead of doubling down?

Oct 25, 2017
He could've used this moment to make it a positive one for the LGBTQ community and say how he changed and how much he respects them now and everyone should too..... Instead he wants to refuse doing that and then wants to bitch about people being negative? Good riddance, I hope the Rock drops him too.

Hero_of_the_Day

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
So why didn't he just apologize
-pride
-stubbornness
-actual hateful person
-ego
-crazy

Yeah, I am pretty forgiving, especially of comedians. Even though he said some bad shit, it was a decade ago. I would have been over it with a simple "sorry for my old lame attempts at humor." Apparently my low standards were too much.

Seductivpancakes

user requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Brooklyn
lol wut.

I'm sure Kevin Hart appreciates you defending him with your keyboard.

entremet

You wouldn't toast a NES cartridge
Oct 26, 2017
Yeah, I am pretty forgiving, especially of comedians. Even though he said some bad shit, it was a decade ago. I would have been over it with a simple "sorry for my old lame attempts at humor." Apparently my low standards were too much.
It's just strange he got so defensive about it. Like he was being attacked. This was all his own doing. Is a simple apology that hard?

But he did one IG video from his bed, complaining like a little kid and then another one doing the same and taking his ball home. Very weird.

Orb

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
USA
Kevin Hart's defense is basically "everyone's looking for a reason to be offended these days"

He can't even come up with something better than a drive-by post on this forum

CenaToon

Oct 25, 2017
He basically dodged a cannonball.

If the Academy made a statement saying that Kevin Hart is no longer 2019 Oscar Host because "he is homophobic" that would be a devastating PR move for his career. Whoever warned Hart to stop being an obstinate dick and apology via twitter before the Academy made the annoucement, saved Kevin Hart's career.

But anyway, fuck him.

Village

Oct 25, 2017
Not sure I would lie, feels icky to have to lie about something rather than just quit or be fired in protest.
I guess i'm not viewing it from his perspective?

Like if your stance is for homophobia, and you step down. I'm not gonna respect you more because you chose to die on that hill. That's a shitty hill to die on, and your willingness to die on that hill speaks to you as a person. I already consider you on some level morally dubious , so lying about it isn't really that far of a hop for me.

But I guess Kevin Heart doesn't think of himself that way

Deleted member 35598

Banned
Dec 7, 2017
Spain
Good decision. Those tweets were unacceptable ! I don't care if it was back in 2011.

Now I think he needs to show that he has changed so he can host the Oscars in the future. Nobody is perfect, he has the right to redeem himself. Let's not forget we all evolve as a society on that subject. Things were said 10 years or 5 years ago that won't be tolerated today and that's a good thing.

Oct 28, 2017
I guess i'm not viewing it from his perspective?

Like if your stance is for homophobia, and you step down. I'm not gonna respect you more because you chose to die on that hill. That's a shitty hill to die on, and your willingness to die on that hill speaks to you as a person. I already consider you on some level morally dubious , so lying about it isn't really that far of a hop for me.

But I guess Kevin Heart doesn't think of himself that way

I kinda know Kev. He's one of those guys that will do anything for a laugh and I get the impression that apologizing because of optics and perception rather than facts is not something he would do. I won't speak for him, just my interactions back in the day.

This topic won't go well for me, I'm going to bow out now.

Pluto

Oct 25, 2017
Wait he said he won't apologize but now he stepped down+apologized?

I don't understand this move...
I doubt he stepped down, he was fired and is trying to save face and the reason he's apologizing now because his agency/management probably told him to if he doesn't want to kill his career more.

Butch

Oct 27, 2017
I don't know the guy a lot, but I really don't get the anger towards him, from what I see he is saying he apologized for those tweets in the past and claimed to have changed and be someone else today, why would we not believe him? Does he have to apologize for old tweets everytime it comes up?

I was just as mad as you guys before, but I didn't know this was a subject that came up before in his carrer. I'm really not trying to fight or anything, just let me.know if I'm missing something, I probably am.

Edit: Apologies claim seems to be false.

Last edited:

Androidsleeps

Oct 27, 2017
Honestly, didn't expect it would come to this. Was sure he was gonna apologize and release a video/statement before the story escalates.
When you're willing to hurt your career instead of admitting to being a shithead and apologize, even if insincerely. Hope this means we see less of him going forward.

I don't know the guy a lot, but I really don't get the anger towards him, from what I see he is saying he apologized for those tweets in the past and claimed to have changed and be someone else today, why would we not believe him? Does he have to apologize for old tweets everytime it comes up?
He didn't. His first reaction was that "people are just sensitive now and "I'm so positive and living my best life" BS. He only apologized after they fired him and his PR team no doubt got to him.

Just Jet

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
What he said was terrible but y'all really came for man when 1/3 of that room would be convicted pedos if they weren't rich lmao

Mr Jones

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
He basically dodged a cannonball.

If the Academy made a statement saying that Kevin Hart is no longer 2019 Oscar Host because "he is homophobic" that would be a devastating PR move for his career. Whoever warned Hart to stop being an obstinate dick and apology via twitter before the Academy made the annoucement, saved Kevin Hart's career.

But anyway, fuck him.

100% this.

I am not in a position to understand how much money and exposure he's walking away from when declining the Oscars. But I do know that the Academy can end your career if you fuck with them.

This almost feels like a mob style pardon.

"You can keep your little comedy career. Keep us out of your mouth. And don't come back. Ever. Now go off to a hole somewhere. Before we put you in one."