• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Sokrates

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
User warned: Dismissive toward homophobia and engaging in conspiracy theories
Or maybe that was all like 5 years ago, and now we are more sensitive to shitty rhetoric in pop culture. Wonder which one it is. I mean, you yourself likened this to James Gunn, a white man. So clearly it's not about going after minorities?

You yourself posted this a while back:

So you're going after minority figures as well? Or maybe there's more nuance to the situation and you're just trying to bring up "going after minorities" as a disingenuous point just because this particular instance isn't to your liking somehow.

There's a difference between domestic abuse and jokes people make on Twitter. Just shows how much you had to reach for that. And lol digging through my posts like a pack rat.

When you go after a black man for the same "offense" that a white Man wasn't condemned for, then it's not that hard to conclude racism is involved.

spam musubi

Oct 25, 2017
There's a difference between domestic abuse and jokes people make on Twitter. Just shows how much you had to reach for that. And lol digging through my posts like a pack rat.

When you go after a black man for the same "offense" that a white Man wasn't condemned for, then it's not that hard to conclude racism is involved.

There have been tons of celebrities the "outraged" (your words not mine) have "gone after" for a variety of bigoted comments whom were white. Just because Nick Cannon dug deep to find some counter examples doesn't mean what Kevin Hart said is ok, and your whataboutism still doesn't make sense. I would applaud you for trying, but your logical fallacy and goalpost moving game has been weak, so not even points for that.

Famassu

Oct 27, 2017
Seth MacFarlene was picked to host even though his Family Guy had a lot of transphobic, homophobic, and racist humor. Harvey Weinstein was lauded by Meryl Streep as a "God" years ago. Hollywood is gonna Hollywood.

Sucks that the media comes after minority figures rising up.
No one is attacking Jordan Peele because he's not a shitty egoistical homophobe. And he and Keegan-Michael Key have made plenty of comedy mocking all sorts of groups of people. They are just actually insightful and/or funny and/or clever, not mean-spirited and purely hateful towards oppressed minorities.

I don't think you have to deny your support of Taraji.

I'm gonna say some quick thoughts. Some might be mad and that's okay. You have the right to be. Well, here it goes:

I don't think Kevin Hart is a homophobe.

A lot of celebs are getting drug through the mud for their old tweets and old behavior, and rightfully so. The thing that separates Kevin from some of these other celebs is that I genuinely don't see him continuing the same behavior from his past. All around the industry he is known as one of the nicest people. Maybe not Tom Hanks and Hugh Jackman nice, but he isn't too far behind. He's done nothing but promote positivity for at least five years now.

I think Kevin's decision to not apologize wasn't because he is a homophobe, but because he has a massive ego that gets in the way of almost everything he does. Back when he initially cheated on his first wife, he addressed it, but refused to apologize. When he got caught cheating on his second wife, he addressed it, but also somehow found a way to not apologize. This isn't just something that happens when he gets caught doing bad things, this is also something that happens whenever. When Tiffany Haddish was beefing with Katt Williams, he basically inserted himself into the beef, and within an hour long interview, managed to make it more about himself than her.

So yeah, I don't think Kevin is a homophobe, but I DO think he has a massive, unsatiated ego that ends up causing more harm.

Also, there seems to be a disconnect to as to whether or not race is involved in this. I don't know the motivations of the people who dug up those tweets, but there is definitely a correlation between black men getting a prominent position usually reserved for white men, and the results being their name getting dragged through the mud. It may not be the case in every instance, but it does happen. Just a day ago, Kyler Murray won the Heisman trophy. What should've been the highlight of his night turned into a PR disaster because someone dug up some old tweets of him saying "queer" when he was 14 and 15. Was the initial motivation race related? Who knows. But the correlation is there.
No, Kevin Hart is clearly a homophobe. You don't say shit like "I will do my utmost best in raising my son so that he won't "become" gay" or "I'll hit him in the head with a dollhouse if I ever catch him playing with one because only sissy gay boys play with dollhouses" and get to play the "I'm not a homophobe, truly" card. Fuck off with your homophobe apologism.

BuckRogers

Apr 5, 2018
Is he wrong tho? The outrage was super selective and like the James Gunn scandal.

It's not really that similar. Gunn made tasteless and offensive jokes, Hart expressed how upset he'd be if his son turned it to be gay, and joked he'd assault him, but the concern over him being gay didn't seem like a joke, it seemed serious. Gunn owned up the tweets and apologized long before the recent scandal, Hart made the comments years ago and doesn't seem to have backed off them. Gunn, most importantly, changed after his apology, he stopped making those jokes and by all accounts was a better person in the past few years, Hart ... hasn't.

So yeah, there's the superficial similarity, but underneath there are a lot of very important differences.

Vilix

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Texas
Gunn owned up the tweets and apologized long before the recent scandal, Hart made the comments years ago and doesn't seem to have backed off them.
Actually, I've heard many times on different shows that he apologized soon after he made those comments. The problem is that he didn't apologize again because he had said he had already apologized several times before, and he was over it.

Deleted member 31817

Nov 7, 2017
Actually, I've heard many times on different shows that he apologized soon after he made those comments. The problem is that he didn't apologize again because he had said he had already apologized several times before, and he was over it.
The problem was he never actually apologized.

Oct 25, 2017
Houston
It's more than just that comment though...

My other issue is that nick cannon is deliberate in how he's framing his response to this controversy. He's doing it to misdirect the conversation that's happening about Kevin Hart, and it's working in this dumbass thread. "What about these people over here," and then he's doing it to stir the pot further by bringing up white female comedians? Black community is not friendly to LGBTQ already, and If you're going to say "let's look at everyone's dirty laundry" let's not have an obvious agenda because there's a metric shit ton of comedians I'm sure he could've utilized to make his point despite their gender, race, and sexual orientations.

This is specifically being used as a defense for Kevin's own Asinine actions and if you look at the thread black twitter is sitting there falling for it. So if we're gonna start calling everyone out let's not let it be because we're saying "oh forget about my boy what about these people? Look at them! They're just as bad if not worse".

Ps fuck chealsea, Amy, and Sarah

Far as I know only Sarah apologized for things, maybe Amy

Emmert

Banned
Oct 23, 2018
It's absolutely fair to pick out other comedians' bigoted shit, but it doesn't make Hart's any less egregious. I'm actually kind of amused because other sites I go on and other people I've talked to have no love for Handler, Schumer, or Silverman either.

For me, I'm just baffled because I don't think an apology is that hard to give. For me, I actually find the lack of apology, even if he apologized before. I would apologize profusely as many times as needed if I said something as offensive as he did and someone called me out on it. It's not that hard.

Einchy

Oct 25, 2017
It's absolutely fair to pick out other comedians' bigoted shit, but it doesn't make Hart's any less egregious. I'm actually kind of amused because other sites I go on and other people I've talked to have no love for Handler, Schumer, or Silverman either.

For me, I'm just baffled because I don't think an apology is that hard to give. For me, I actually find the lack of apology, even if he apologized before. I would apologize profusely as many times as needed if I said something as offensive as he did and someone called me out on it. It's not that hard.
I'm glad he didn't apologize because it showed his true colors. We wouldn't have known but with what we now know, that first apology would've been bullshit.

Famassu

Oct 27, 2017
Thank god Tiffany Haddish didn't have a tweet from 2012, her career would have been over before it started.
Nah, if she had apologized, it would have easily blown over pretty quickly. I don't understand how it's so hard for you to comprehend that this isn't about race. Kevin Hart was given a way out of this. He wasn't just unceremoniously dropped without any way to react. He was asked to apologize. He could've lived on as the next host of the Oscars and without any kind of shitstorm beyond the initial resurface of his bigoted, homophobic crap. But he chose not to. Even if he had done it before, his words still live on and are so heinous that if he truly felt sorry, it shouldn't have been that much of an issue to apologize again.

You people are so pathetically disingenuous. Yeah, there is bigotry towards black people in a lot of things, that sucks, but there has been a fuckton of white people brought down or at least heavily criticized because of the dumb shit they've said & done as well. Especially comedians. We can't go one youtube-vid with Seinfield without him going on a diatribe of how it's so sad comedians can't be openly bigoted pieces of shit anymore but have to consider their words a bit more carefully.

Besides, so far I'm not seeing Kevin Hart being dropped from anything else but the Oscars. So it's not like his career is over this shit either.

est1992

Oct 27, 2017
No, Kevin Hart is clearly a homophobe. You don't say shit like "I will do my utmost best in raising my son so that he won't "become" gay" or "I'll hit him in the head with a dollhouse if I ever catch him playing with one because only sissy gay boys play with dollhouses" and get to play the "I'm not a homophobe, truly" card. Fuck off with your homophobe apologism.
It's not apologism. I'm not defending any of the words he has said. All I'm saying is, he might not be that way anymore.

You can't deny that the guy has great credibility in the business. Everyone who comes into contact with him likes him. You don't get that far without at least being somewhat tolerant of others. If he truly was a homophobe, you'd hear a lot more stories coming out of the hearsay that other people have heard regarding Kevin, but the thing is, you don't. That's because he probably is a standup guy. At this stage in his career, he's most likely worked with a ton of people within the LGBTQ+ community, and if he truly was a homophobe, you'd hear something other than the tweets coming out about this guy.

Again, I'm not saying that any of the words he said or the things he said are okay, because they aren't.

The thing Kevin most likely has is egotism. He has an inflated sense of importance that puts him above others. It has shown up time and time again, and this scandal is no different. Go back and look through the scandal's he's had in his life. From the cheating to the joke stealing, to the now homophobic tweets. In each instance he has refused to apologize, even if he knew it was wrong. That's a clear sign of egotism.

We have to be careful how we are labeling these things as they pop up. Kevin hasn't given any excuse to make people believe he isn't a standup guy in the last five years. Sure, he's had some infidelity scandals, but every story you hear about him are those with love and positivity.

People won't bring up his quote in a Reddit AMA in 2014 that said he wouldn't be delivering gay jokes anymore.

Or when he commended Frank Ocean for coming out.

People will take the negative and ignore everything that comes after it.

Did Kevin Hart say some homophobic and egregious shit? YES. It was horrible. Do I think he's changed and grown? YES.

BUT all the lil mothafucka had to do was apologize, but he didn't. And that ain't because he's a homophobe, it's because he has a MASSIVE ego that restricts him from thinking outside of himself.

Commodore64

Oct 25, 2017
Kevin Hart is in the awkward position of being too shitty to host the Oscars but not shitty enough to get a standing ovation at the Oscars .