• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Oct 27, 2017
Damn.. what the heck is going on in the entertainment business?! At this rate there will be barely any stars to respect (wrestling included too!)

Dirtyshubb

Oct 25, 2017
UK
Damn.. what the heck is going on in the entertainment business?! At this rate there will be barely any stars to respect (wrestling included too!)
Wrestling is one of the worst industries.

The only difference is that they don't go through as many people as Holywood does so their shitty behaviours are mainly to each other and to minorities etc.

Hydrus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Fuck You Spacey. I actually thought he was a decent person. Keep outing all these sickos. Hollywood and the entertainment world needs a reset.

Ushojax

Oct 30, 2017

The same thing that has always gone on. People with money/fame/power exploiting those with less. It's a truly great thing that the curtain is being pulled back on all this, it's just sad that a lot of great works will be tarnished forever. When it comes to the world of entertainment, assume everyone is a pervert.

Kill3r7

Oct 25, 2017
If nothing else the current scandals go to show that you cannot judge celebrities based on their public persona. It is all fake.

Holograms

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
The most shocking thing to me is all the people saying "I could never watch another show with XXX in it in good conscience". You poor ignorant souls. The industry has always operated this way and it has been an open secret for decades. Do you think Netflix doesn't know about Spacey's behaviour on set? How high up would that go? Even if you are not the one at fault, you are likely complicit in at least knowing what is happening and not doing anything about it. In order to avoid watching movies and tv with people involved in some way that are guilty of this type of behaviour? Just stop watching film and tv.

Oct 27, 2017
The most shocking thing to me is all the people saying "I could never watch another show with XXX in it in good conscience". You poor ignorant souls. The industry has always operated this way and it has been an open secret for decades. Do you think Netflix doesn't know about Spacey's behaviour on set? How high up would that go? Even if you are not the one at fault, you are likely complicit in at least knowing what is happening and not doing anything about it. In order to avoid watching movies and tv with people involved in some way that are guilty of this type of behaviour? Just stop watching film and tv.

Exactly, why do you think so many people in Hollywood are so supportive of Roman Polanski? Because in their eyes his crimes really aren't that bad, just normal Hollywood activity.

Holograms

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Exactly, why do you think so many people in Hollywood are so supportive of Roman Polanski? Because in their eyes his crimes really aren't that bad, just normal Hollywood activity.

Yup. Polanksi got caught. He's just the tip of the iceberg. Even with Weinstein, there are so many actresses not coming out about it that have knowingly slept their way upward. The problem is massive and rampant.

thepenguin55

Oct 28, 2017
Probably 95% of all the films and TV shows you've ever watched had a prominent crew or cast member(s) with similar skeletons in their closet. The entertainment industry is full of disgusting people.

This is something I've struggled to deal with. Finding out that Wonder Women was partially funded by the Koch brothers wasn't great news and knowing that Robert Trump is on the Zenimax board of directors kind of killed my excitement about buying Wolfenstein 2. It's easy to ignore what you don't know but what you didn't know becomes hard to ignore when it's staring you in the face.

rAndom

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Damn. Being gay is no issue but being a pedo and a sex predator? Man that's disgusting.

Novid

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
This is something I've struggled to deal with. Finding out that Wonder Women was partially funded by the Koch brothers wasn't great news and knowing that Robert Trump is on the Zenimax board of directors kind of killed my excitement about buying Wolfenstein 2. It's easy to ignore what you don't know but what you didn't know becomes hard to ignore when it's staring you in the face.
wait wait wait wait...funded by the Koch Bros?
WHAT?

Deleted member 10737

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
such an incredibly tacky thing to come out now. there's no way that his intention wasn't to change the news about him with doing that.

ElBoxy

Oct 25, 2017
We also shouldn't be super judgmental on how people should boycott.

Yes, we are all guilty of being complicit with every terrible thing in life. Doesn't mean it's too late to change that.

Late Flag

alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I don't know why, but I always thought that Kevin Spacey was a good guy. Didn't seem to hog the spotlight, seemed pretty grounded, kept to his own business. This news really sucks.

Holograms

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
We also shouldn't be super judgmental on how people should boycott.

Yes, we are all guilty of being complicit with every terrible thing in life. Doesn't mean it's too late to change that.

Without straying too far off topic, you are absolutely right. My point is that you can't really say you're cutting dairy from your diet and just cut out cheddar cheese. I agree that change is in order. This problem is so rampant, I myself am at a loss with how best to approach this. "Boycott everything wrong" does sound completely ridiculous to me, though.

GameShrink

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Probably 95% of all the films and TV shows you've ever watched had a prominent crew or cast member(s) with similar skeletons in their closet. The entertainment industry is full of disgusting people.

This. Pro sports, Hollywood, Washington, religious institutions... Anything with a high concentration of rich individuals impervious to prosecution is bound to be teeming with villains.

The Catholic Church wasn't an anomaly. We were just too afraid to look for parallels everywhere else.

Oct 26, 2017
Damn. Being gay is no issue but being a pedo and a sex predator? Man that's disgusting.

I don't get peoples use of the word "phedophile" online, does it mean something different outside of Sweden and by default include criminal and heinous acts? If not, I would think the feeling towards a person being born with the mind wired that way more sad for than disgusted by.

Or If criminal activity is baked into the term, what is the term for a person just being unlucky and "born" with that sexual preference?

thepenguin55

Oct 28, 2017
wait wait wait wait...funded by the Koch Bros?
WHAT?

Yes. The Koch brothers hold a sizable stake in RatPac-Dune Entertainment (created by James Packer and Brett Ratner) who co-financed Wonder Woman with Warner Bros. So their involvement is indirect but it's there.

https://qz.com/1050145/wonder-woman...ng-money-for-these-conservative-billionaires/
http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/ne...ers-are-secret-investors-wonder-woman-1027376

Sorry, not trying to derail the conversation, but my point is that it can be difficult to try and enjoy something with a shitty person involved when YOU KNOW that a shitty person is involved. It'll be hard (not impossible, but hard) to watch stuff with Kevin Spacey in it and not think about what he did which will immediately take me out of whatever I'm watching.

Oct 26, 2017
Yes. The Koch brothers hold a sizable stake in RatPac-Dune Entertainment (created by James Packer and Brett Ratner) who co-financed Wonder Woman with Warner Bros. So their involvement is indirect but it's there.

https://qz.com/1050145/wonder-woman...ng-money-for-these-conservative-billionaires/
http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/ne...ers-are-secret-investors-wonder-woman-1027376

Sorry, not trying to derail the conversation, but my point is that it can be difficult to try and enjoy something with a shitty person involved when YOU KNOW that a shitty person is involved. It'll be hard (not impossible, but hard) to watch stuff with Kevin Spacey in it and not think about what he did which will take me out of whatever I'm watching

Oh, I did not know that.

Power Shot

Oct 27, 2017
I don't get peoples use of the word "phedophile" online, does it mean something different outside of Sweden and by default include criminal and heinous acts? If not, I would think the feeling towards a person being born with the mind wired that way more sad for than disgusted by.

Or If criminal activity is baked into the term, what is the term for a person just being unlucky and "born" with that sexual preference?
This is an interesting question. I believe pedophile is the technical term for the way the individual is hardwired. To Catch a Predator actually declined to use the term to discuss their subjects and referred to them as predators instead. I believe there is a distinction, since just because someone has a predilection towards something doesn't mean they will act on it.

rAndom

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017

It's a mental disorder, but in many countries (at least in mine), an adult having sexual relations with a minor is a criminal offense. In a sense, when a pedophile acts on his/her urges and did something wrong against children, then it's both a mental illness and a criminal act.

It's sad, but again if sexual abuse is done, then that's equally disgusting as well.

Aprikurt

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 29, 2017
"Help, I just escaped from Kevin Spacey's basement!" - a naked Stewie Griffin in 2005 (?)

Did Seth McFarlane know everything?

Megatron

Oct 27, 2017

Any adult should be able to control their sexual behavior, no matter who they are attracted to. That's why it's disgusting. We're not slaves to our desires. We can make choices.

BlackFyre

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
This makes his predatory, borderline sexual assault behaviour on House of Cards all the more creepy.

Lashley

<<Tag Here>>
Oct 25, 2017
DNZvnMpVoAEwEIs.jpg:large

Shamelessly stolen from Twitter

Orioto

Oct 26, 2017
Paris
Just my 2 cents about people saying how the film industry is terrible and full of monsters. I really, really think the ratio of people acting wrong is the same or maybe higher outside of it to. Of course there is the money and the power but.. I mean.. the number of rape is pretty huge you know, and i'm pretty certain the actual number of incest acts or pedophile crime are way bigger than what is actually reported, for obvious reasons, not even counting environments where there is some "habits" that are accepted, in some countries etc..
I mean human being IS fucked up. I'm not sure this is a specialty of Hollywood.

UltimateHigh

Oct 25, 2017
Just my 2 cents about people saying how the film industry is terrible and full of monsters. I really, really think the ratio of people acting wrong is the same or maybe higher outside of it to. Of course there is the money and the power but.. I mean.. the number of rape is pretty huge you know, and i'm pretty certain the actual number of incest acts or pedophile crime are way bigger than what is actually reported, for obvious reasons, not even counting environments where there is some "habits" that are accepted, in some countries etc..
I mean human being IS fucked up. I'm not sure this is a specialty of Hollywood.

Of course. Hollywood, and by extension, the arts are filled will amazing people. It's just some of these fuckers at the top.

Juup

Oct 27, 2017

Yeah, I know what you mean. In Dutch there is a difference between a pedophile (someone with a hard-wired preference) and a pedosexual (someone who actually acts on it, and is therefore a criminal). I have the impression the second term is hardly ever used in English though, and 'pedophile' is used for both cases. Correct me if I'm wrong though.