• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

BlackFyre

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I don't get peoples use of the word "phedophile" online, does it mean something different outside of Sweden and by default include criminal and heinous acts? If not, I would think the feeling towards a person being born with the mind wired that way more sad for than disgusted by.

Or If criminal activity is baked into the term, what is the term for a person just being unlucky and "born" with that sexual preference?

I don't care if you were born into or straight up have a desire to destroy the lives of children.

If you are an adult and attracted to children, and you try to take them sexually, you are a predator. Period!

There's plenty of evidence that shows that victims of sexual abuse sometimes never recover and the shame/pain manifests in ways that destroys their lives.

Now imagine how many folds the impact is if it's a child.

The fact that Spacey didn't deny the encounter tells me he is a pedophile. He knew the kid was underaged and took advantage of it.

srhltmr

User Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Texas
I think that in short order we're going to find out that most of the people we like in Hollywood are huge pieces of human garbage.

BlackFyre

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I would be very curious to know if someone famous was also at this party and remembers how the kid came to be by himself in that apartment. My hunch is that Spacey planned to keep the kid busy until everyone left and pounced on him.

I don't buy his "can't remember" bullshit for a second.

Oct 26, 2017
I don't care if you were born into or straight up have a desire to destroy the lives of children.

If you are an adult and attracted to children, and you try to take them sexually, you are a predator. Period!

There's plenty of evidence that shows that victims of sexual abuse sometimes never recover and the shame/pain manifests in ways that destroys their lives.

Now imagine how many folds the impact is if it's a child.

The fact that Spacey didn't deny the encounter tells me he is a pedophile. He knew the kid was underaged and took advantage of it.

I don't know if you misread my post, but isn't this exactly what was stated in my post?

Oct 26, 2017
DNZvnMpVoAEwEIs.jpg:large

Shamelessly stolen from Twitter

Haha. That's Scream 4, right?

Oct 29, 2017
If he doesn't remember then surely he would have denied it. The fact he hasn't denied it suggests he knows that behaviour was common practice for him back then, and maybe even now.

chromatic9

Oct 25, 2017
I would be very curious to know if someone famous was also at this party and remembers how the kid came to be by himself in that apartment. My hunch is that Spacey planned to keep the kid busy until everyone left and pounced on him.

With that Family Guy line, maybe he doesn't particularly remember Rapp.

Lorcain

Oct 27, 2017
He's getting crushed in social media for using his apology as his moment to come out publicly about being gay (and in the past bi). I thought that was weird when I read his statement. It was full PR damage control in one statement, rather than a focused apology for being a creep.

Loxley

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Unfortunately I'm not surprised, I'd heard in the past that Spacey had a creepy Brian Singer-esque thing for barely-legal young men. But I'd always hoped it didn't go from barely-legal to not-at-all-legal.

Christ, Spacey.

Oct 27, 2017
It's time to shine a light on everyone guilty of this. They are all filth and need purged from hollywood. Even if it turns out to be everyone

pegaso

Oct 28, 2017
"Help, I just escaped from Kevin Spacey's basement!" - a naked Stewie Griffin in 2005 (?)

Did Seth McFarlane know everything?

I first heard rumors about Spacey years ago and I'm a nobody that doesn't live in the States, so I can't imagine how many people in Hollywood were aware of them. I'm not talking about a conspiracy or anything like that, just unproven gossip that, understandably, people won't act on even if it rings true. I guess McFarlane is one of the few people in a position to play with it and, if needed, present it as just another outrageous joke of his show.

Also most of Spacey's rumors have always been in relation to Bryan Singer and some of his friends, who have already dodged public accusations. I wouldn't be surprised at all if something came to light (again) against them. Obviously I know nothing other than hearsay that everyone can find online and he could be perfectly innocent, but, yeah. Doesn't sound good. :/

JJAwiiu

Oct 27, 2017
Shit, I heard this at work and was holding out hope that after exploring the details, *maybe* Spacey didn't realize the timeframe would put the person in question at 14 years old. That doesn't seem to be the case though. Him claiming to not remember the incident just makes it sound worse to me. Like, in a "I dunno, but it sure sounds like something I'd do!" kind of way. Maybe it was common behavior for him.

I don't think him coming out as gay had any malicious intent or that the average person will somehow misconstrue it. A male accused him of sexual assault. In order to not deny the allegation, he kind of had to come out. I was also already under the impression he was gay/bi -- meaning I figured he'd already come out, but apparently not. Him doing so now was not necessary in order to "not deny," because it was already implied.

Oct 25, 2017
New Orleans
Reading this makes me wonder how selfish and shortsighted these "powerful" people have to be, irrespective of what control they purportedly have. I've gone my whole life not being a sexual predator. Many, many more have. Seeing how having any amount of power apparently gives people the idea that they can do whatever they want is just sickening. Spacey's so-called apology makes it worse.
I hope Rapp is doing all right. Just open the floodgates—expose the trash.

yepyepyep

Oct 25, 2017
Reading this makes me wonder how selfish and shortsighted these "powerful" people have to be, irrespective of what control they purportedly have. I've gone my whole life not being a sexual predator. Many, many more have. Seeing how having any amount of power apparently gives people the idea that they can do whatever they want is just sickening. Spacey's so-called apology makes it worse.

To be fair they have got away with it for a long time. All that Jimmy Saville stuff was only revealed after he died. It seems like times are changing though with the advent of social media. Those with lots of power cannot completely control all the information channels this time.

Oct 25, 2017
New Orleans
To be fair they have got away with it for a long time. All that Jimmy Saville stuff was only revealed after he died. It seems like times are changing though with the advent of social media. Those with lots of power cannot completely control all the information channels this time.
It's really a wonderful thing how easy it is to get the ball rolling on issues like this, even if it comes at the cost of proliferating selfish behavior. I just wish it didn't have to happen at all, since we all know to get away with it doesn't make it okay. :(

Kanhir

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017

Rapp said he was the only "non-adult" there, didn't know anyone and got bored, so he wandered into the bedroom and watched TV all evening.

JJAwiiu

Oct 27, 2017
I'm not defending Spacey in any way, but this incident occurred in 1986. That's before he had a movie / tv career or was at all "powerful" in the industry. What I'm curious about is if this will "open floodgates" on him like it did Weinstein. Because his non-denial really makes it sound like this was par for the course for him.

Oct 25, 2017
New Orleans
I'm not defending Spacey in any way, but this incident occurred in 1986. That's before he had a movie / tv career or was at all "powerful" in the industry. What I'm curious about is if this will "open floodgates" on him like it did Weinstein. Because his non-denial really makes it sound like this was par for the course for him.
Yeah. Maybe it wasn't so much that he was "powerful," as I said, but that he was comparatively in a power position over Rapp. I guess it only takes a little. :(
Hopefully more than just Spacey are outed before the movement's through.

Oct 25, 2017
How much of a sick individual do you have to be, to come out as gay in your statement about pedophile allegations to obviously, try to get a bit of sympathy or something.

You're a pedophile Kevin and that's the end of that.

yepyepyep

Oct 25, 2017
In the same vein of Spacey I've heard rumours of Roland Emmerich, Brian Singer, David Geffen, Gus Van Sant and Joel Schumacher. I wonder if there is any truth to them? I mean I guess you could say there is a difference between those who have relations with those that are legal but very young and those that are underage.

JJAwiiu

Oct 27, 2017
How much of a sick individual do you have to be, to come out as gay in your statement about pedophile allegations to obviously, try to get a bit of sympathy or something.

This is a common sentiment and I don't clearly understand why. He didn't actually deny that it happened. Since it was a male accuser, he had to admit that he was in fact, gay (or at least bi). What he did appears to be true and awful. But I'm not connecting the dots as to how he called-out his homosexuality for sympathy, as opposed to him stating an admission of his sexual orientation that was forced by the allegation. If he did that to a 14 year old girl, that would be just as awful. Guy/girl, doesn't matter. 14 years old, that's what matters.

Lurcharound

Oct 27, 2017
UK
Unfortunately I'm not surprised, I'd heard in the past that Spacey had a creepy Brian Singer-esque thing for barely-legal young men. But I'd always hoped it didn't go from barely-legal to not-at-all-legal.

Christ, Spacey.
Yup this. So long as it's consenting while I find it creepy in the same way I find older guys chasing barely legal young women it's not something I'm going to judge on so long as no one's obviously being taken advantage of.

But 14? That's just wrong.

sfedai0

Oct 27, 2017
Im happy this purge is encouraging even more people to come out with their experiences and getting these people out of the industry.

tormented

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Bryan Singer is currently directing the Queen movie Bohemian Rhapsody, IIRC filming only just started. The Hollywood machine isn't going to allow him to be owned during production of a blockbuster like that.

Deleted member 13131

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Kevin Spacey has long been one of my favorite actors, so this one hurts. Deeply disappointed. There is not any way to come out of an accusation like that in a positive light, but his statement was particularly bad. Really bad. Not surprised at the level of blowback he's getting. (Though I am surprised Netflix cancelled HoC so fast.)

The NYT has a story up on their main page and the synopsis perfectly captures the non sequitur nature of his statement:

The actor Anthony Rapp said he was 14 when Mr. Spacey lay down on top of him. Mr. Spacey said he had no recollection and then disclosed that he is gay.​

GameShrink

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Pedophiles in Hollywood...its a huge list

I doubt we'll ever come close to seeing a fraction of that list brought to justice.

The worst part is that these aren't just "slap on the ass" type creeps... try to read what Polanski did to his victim out loud. Then imagine that's happening constantly throughout a nigh-untouchable industry. The Catholic Church would blush.

Owarifin

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
I didn't see this coming.
Kevin was one of my favourite actors 10 or 15 years ago.

Next it'll be Tom Hanks...

pegaso

Oct 28, 2017
Yup this. So long as it's consenting while I find it creepy in the same way I find older guys chasing barely legal young women it's not something I'm going to judge on so long as no one's obviously being taken advantage of.

But 14? That's just wrong.

Well, obviously sexual offenses against minors are literally the worst, but the rumors against people like Singer and Emmerich (true or not) are not just chasing/dating/having consensual sex with young men but taking part in a de facto system of favors, grooming and drug abuse. Definitely taking advantage of people in a predatory way, maybe not through physical coercion but through power imbalance and experience, much like Weinstein.

I know you are not defending any of it, don't get me wrong, I'm just explaining the nature of the accusations.

But also let's be honest, barely legal, when talking about quite older, more experienced and powerful people, it's almost always not just creepy but wrong, even if not illegal.

Kite

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Apparently someone on reddit posted accusations 5 months ago

[deleted] 11.2k points 5 months ago

Kevin Spacey loves to meet straight men at parties and events, and use his celebrity to lure them to after parties where he gets them drunk and high, and then suddenly tries to blow them. He's another Bill Cosby. He's well known in Hollywood for harassing male staff on productions. And he famously made a false police report a few years back after he was assaulted by one of the many men he's tried to blow. He picks his victims perfectly, because what straight man would want to be famous worldwide for accusing Kevin Spacey of a sexual assault? And the staff he harasses on productions are too afraid of destroying their careers to say anything. Kevin Spacey is a disgusting scumbag.
https://np.reddit.com/r/movies/comm...ne_lives_with_my_kid_is_kevin_spacey/dhgfy4h/

Lord Brady

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Wasn't it Spacey years back who reported to police (in England I think) that he was assaulted and robbed in a park at around 3 in the morning. A park notorious for being a meeting place for men to have sex?

Necromanti

Oct 25, 2017
I still don't understand what the point of the second paragraph is supposed to be. His sexuality or identity have absolutely zero to do with the allegations of the victim, and bringing it up seems like an inappropriate non sequitur. Maybe he recently became a vegetarian, too. Like...who gives a shit?

Septim

Oct 27, 2017
Is apologizing for things you can't recall some type of PR tactic? Seems reminiscent of what Faraci said as well.

So many great films tainted, but glad the truth is coming out.

Halbrand

Oct 27, 2017
So Kevin Spacey apparently had an abusive white supremacist father, another similarity to HoC.

tormented

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Is blockbuster really the right word for a/that biopic? What's the budget?

I debated calling it a blockbuster, and I'm not sure the budget, but in any case it's by a major studio (Fox) and it comes out around Christmas 2018, so it's almost destined to make some decent coin. If allegations come out against Singer between now and its release the PR people will work overtime to scrub them like mad

Oct 25, 2017