• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Deleted member 29939

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 2, 2017
Lets take a moment to appreciate how fucking awesome this tragic, now "supervillain", character is and how M.Night created one of the most interesting antagonists in the past few years.

split-2017-james-mcavoy-trailer.jpg

• Father left on a train and never returned (Unbreakable train crash?), forced to grow up with an abusive mother as a kid.
  • DID (dissociative identity disorder) kicks in as a defense mechanism.
  • 23 alters are born, who eventually subjugate the original Kevin.
================================================
Summarised wiki description of the main movie alters:
  1. Kevin, The Original: Has a conscience and expresses deep shock and horror at what his other alters have done. He is so horrified by what he has done that, after realizing the destruction he has caused, he encourages her to kill him. Spends the majority of the film restrained by these alters
  2. Hedwig, The Kid: A 9-year-old boy with several compulsive behaviors. Innocent and naive. He is fearful of, and subservience to the other alters, especially Patricia.
  3. Barry, The First Dominant: The first dominant alter – calm, commanding, extroverted leader, level-headed, charismatic, somewhat effeminate male with an incredible talent for fashion and design
  4. Dennis, The Deceiver: Perverted, cold, and temperamental. Violent, tendency towards cleanliness and order. Plots to overthrow Barry as the dominant alter.
  5. Patricia, The Disciplined: A sophisticated, motherly, orderly, polite "woman" who has considerable command over some of the other alters.
  6. The Beast: The 24th identity that resides in Kevin's mind. A malevolent cannibalistic figure, idolized by Dennis, Patricia and Hedwig, who all await his arrival. The Beast has an intense belief that anyone who hasn't suffered in life and came out stronger are unworthy or below him. Viewed as an almost Godlike figure by several of the other alters, with many admiring or directly working towards bringing him into control of the body.
================================================

• As an adult, he is now fully under the control of several alters that plan to bring out the negative result of all his abuse and pain, the 24th alter, The Beast.
  • In order to justify Kevin's past, The Beast see's no value in people that went through life without trauma. They are inferior, unworthy and should be wiped out
"The impure are the untouched! The unburned! The unslain! Those who have not been torn have no value in themselves, and no place in this world! They are asleep!" - Crumb as The Beast

• As he did with the other girls, he attempts to kill Anya Taylor-Joy, but stops as he sees the scars from her previous abuse at the hands of her uncle.
  • The Beast finds in her a kindred spirit, who like him has also suffered exceptional abuse at the hands of a trusted relative. Declares her to be "pure" and leaves her in peace.
"You are different from the rest. Your heart is pure! Rejoice! The broken are the more evolved. Rejoice." - Crumb as The Beast

• Movie ends with the main alters finally giving control to The Beast.
  • BAM! Super villain "The Horde" is born!
The Beast: We are what we believe we are.
Hedwig: Holy shit, this is so cool. They are gonna believe we exist now, right?
Dennis: They are gonna have to.
Hedwig: So, what do we do now?
[referring to The Beast]
Patricia: We trust in him. He'll protect us. Look at what he can do. Let him show the world how powerful we can be.

How fucking juicy is this character?! How amazing the performance?! Oh god the acting.
What a brilliant villain origin story! This is a balsy sequel done with class. Fucking BRAVO M.Night and James McAvoy!

MCU/DCU what?! I'm crawling walls here waiting for Glass! Rejoice!

tenor.gif

Last edited:
OP
OP

Deleted member 29939

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
I fully admit to almost tearing up during his final speech with Casey about broken people being pure. The music. The "rejoice" delivery...

Dunno if I care to know what that says about me but there ya go lol

Camwi

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The first M. Night movie I enjoyed since The Sixth Sense. McAvoy was amazing.

Movie's not really a sequel, though.

I fully admit to almost tearing up during his final speech with Casey about broken people being pure. The music. The "rejoice" delivery...

Dunno if I care to know what that says about me but there ya go lol

That's actually one of the parts I didn't like in the movie. It was like "Wow, good thing this girl was raped and tormented by her uncle her entire life, or she'd be dead right now!"

OP
OP

Deleted member 29939

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
Hedwig: My name's Hedwig. I have red socks. He's on the move.

Casey Cooke: What?

Hedwig: He... on... the... mooove.

Casey Cooke: Who?

Hedwig: Someone's coming for you, and you're not gonna like it. You guys make noises in your sleep.

Casey Cooke: Tell us.

Hedwig: I'm not supposed to say; but, he's done awful things to people and he'll do awful things to you. I have blue socks, too.

Marcia: We're his food?

[Hedwig shrugs]

Casey Cooke: How old are you?

Hedwig: Nine.

Casey Cooke: So you're not the guy that took us?

Hedwig: [scoffs] No.

Casey Cooke: You're... not the lady?

Hedwig: What are you, blind?

Casey Cooke: You don't know how they think?

Hedwig: N-no, they don't... they don't tell me much. I just ate a hot dog.

tumblr_oqw21mp7yN1u08gnno1_500.gif

Thrill_house

Oct 27, 2017
I watched this over the weekend. Somehow avoided all spoilers leading up to it. It blew me away. At first I felt terrible for Kevin. The dude is a product of his environment and a terrible up bringing...but that does not excuse his behavior at all. I was really hoping all the girls would have escaped. The scene at the end where casey gets out and tried to help the girls just crushed me and I lost the little bit of sympathy I had for Kevin. Movie was a trip. I can't wait for the sequel.

Oct 25, 2017
This is M. Night's best movie in years. Coincidentally I was at the Philadelphia Zoo for an event last week and walked right by the fence in the OP. I even said to my wife "creepy, I hope James McAvoy doesn't get us".

We also go to walk through the zoo at night by ourselves when it was completely closed and completely dark. It was spoopy.

Klean

Banned
Nov 3, 2017
Some of the Best stuff was kind of goofy, but I liked how he jumped between the other personalities.

Truant

Oct 28, 2017
Shyamalan was smart to give him a middle name. Kevin Crumb would have perhaps been a little too obvious.

Klotera

Oct 27, 2017
I'm sure it was something along the lines of a person becoming stronger from facing adversity, but it didn't come across that way to me.

I don't think it's trying to make a point about becoming stronger through adversity. It's his coping mechanism to believe that going through that makes him superior. Not just stronger from adversity, but literally that he is a more valuable person because of it. Helps him accept what he went through.

Of course, this gets taken to an extreme and this is now a standard he applies to everyone, saying that those who have not gone through this are unworthy.

CoolestSpot

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Great movie, great character.

It's same my first time I watched it, I saw it with my Unbreakable fan of a father, who said it was perverted movie with how it victimized the women in it and was vile in it's entire existence.

OP
OP

Deleted member 29939

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
Unbreakable quote

Mrs. Price
: This is one of Johann Davis's earliest drawings. See the villain's eyes? They're larger than the other characters'. They — insinuate a slightly skewed perspective on how they see the world. Just off normal.

David Dunn
: Doesn't look scary.

Mrs. Price
: Mm-hmm. That's what I said to my son. But he says there's always two kinds; there's the soldier villain — who fights the hero with his hands; and then there's the real threat — the brilliant and evil archenemy — who fights the hero with his mind.

--

Soldier Villain - Kevin "The Horde"

Hero - David Dunn "Unbreakable"

Archenemy - Elijah "Mr Glass"

mjc

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
He really is a good villain, and McAvoy straight ripped it up in his acting.

Chopper

Oct 25, 2017
Cool thread. I watched this last night and reeeeaaaally enjoyed it. I knew about the Unbreakable link, but the movie is fantastic in its own right. McAvoy is brilliant!

ItIsOkBro

Happy New Year!!
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
The "say his name" is one of the best weaknesses of all time.

Barry was holding it together too until those 2 girls assaulted him. All around a very sympathetic character.

Last edited:
Dec 18, 2017
I'm going to take this opportunity to pat myself on the back for not spoiling the ending for the dummies on the old site who couldn't wait a measly few months for it to be released.

Oct 27, 2017
My favorite part of the film was when Kevin Wendell Crumb finally makes his first and only appearance. The lucidity he had and the sorrow he felt realizing how much time he had lost....years....and the resolve he had to put an end to it all. He was a hero in an odd way and helped her survive.

The music that played during that scene was perfection.

SwampBastard

The Fallen
Nov 1, 2017
I need to rewatch this. I had been ignoring it because I normally hate James McAvoy, but I kept hearing it was surprisingly good, so I gave it a watch and loved him and the movie. Very excited for the follow-up.

Oct 26, 2017
It absolutely wasn't.

Aside from M Night talking about this for years, the entire thing is built around it being in the Unbreakable universe.
There wasn't a single hint as anything related to Unbreakable until the last 3 minutes of the movie. I'm gonna go ahead and say it's forced in when M Night decided he wanted in on that sweet sweet superhero universe cash.

subpar spatula

Refuses to Wash his Ass
Oct 26, 2017
Best super hero villain since The Joker. Hasn't been topped yet. MCU and DCEU should take notes.

Deleted member 11093

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The unbreakable shit was definitely forced in at the last second, but the movie was good.
If you paid attention during the movie you would realize that it isn't.

There wasn't a single hint as anything related to Unbreakable until the last 3 minutes of the movie. I'm gonna go ahead and say it's forced in when M Night decided he wanted in on that sweet sweet superhero universe cash.
Yeah beside the bit where Kevin states that he lost his dad in a train wreck, or that bit where the professor refers to people with strong abilities becoming more common, or when Kevin transformers into a monster in the train station. Definitely something that was thrown in the last minute.

OP
OP

Deleted member 29939

Banned
Nov 2, 2017

Thats not true at all. Movie is clearly dipping its toes on unrealistic/unnatural things from very early on, with the body chemistry changing thing and all that.

And this character was planned for the original movie too so.

Oct 30, 2017
Loved loved loved McAvoy in this. He and Ana Taylor-Joy were some great casting choices. I missed most of the Unbreakable references since I've only seen the movie through completion twice. But, I did freak out at the ending scene.

PeskyToaster

Oct 27, 2017
The first M. Night movie I enjoyed since The Sixth Sense. McAvoy was amazing.

Movie's not really a sequel, though.

That's actually one of the parts I didn't like in the movie. It was like "Wow, good thing this girl was raped and tormented by her uncle her entire life, or she'd be dead right now!"

You should consider who was speaking though. It was the villain, the bad guy, who believes that. The things that the villains say in movies aren't a message to take at face value.

Landawng

The Fallen
Nov 9, 2017
Denver/Aurora, CO
This movie is so fucking good. There is a scene where McAvoy changes personalities from the kid to Patricia that is fucking terrifying to me. the way he does it without saying a word and just subtlety looks over at the young girl after he becomes Patricia was some crazy shit man. I need to watch this again

Birbo

Oct 25, 2017
Need to re-watch this. Was mildly curious about it until a co-worked spilled the beans that it took place in the Unbreakable universe. Had to watch it right away after hearing that. I really liked it, but my perception was skewed because I was too busy looking for Unbreakable cues.

The unbreakable shit was definitely forced in at the last second, but the movie was good.

I don't think it was forced as much as Shyamalans gonna Shyamalan. Can't wait for Glass!

More_Badass

Oct 25, 2017
The Split storyline is actually a cut plot thread from Unbreakable. It's not just a random thing to try and make it connected to Unbreakable

Deleted member 19844

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
United States
Well, if you want to say that without any justification, and in spite of M.Night talking about this for years, then go right ahead. :)

Beyond that, there were several hints / world building moments related to Unbreakable: The discovery / development of Kevin and David's powers both originate from train events: Kevin's dad is killed in a train accident, David discovers his powers in a train crash (potentially the train crash that killed Kevin's dad). And there are superhero hints in the movie as well, as the lady talks about the abilities of people with split personalities, and the beast is referred to as the highest form of evolution - hints of x-men-type powers, but in a way that's more grounded, just like the Unbreakable.