• Welcome to ResetEra 2.0! Guests should now be able to save their dark or light theme preferences, found on the left sidebar.

KeyForge by Richard Garfield - The first Unique Deck Game (can't modify decks)

Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
Yeah, download the rulebook. My friends all had starter decks and the quickstart rules that come with them just aren't that useful.

I'm also told there is a version of the rulebook without all the "flavor text" ... story background and what not. That version will save you some printer ink.

EDIT:

Hey, while I'm here, what's the opinion on Lights Out.

If your opponent has only one creature, the rules make it clear that the card can still be played. What isn't clear is if the opponent's creature gets returned to his hand. I understand that the rules say "play as much of the effect as you can" but is it ok to split an effect like that?

When we played it we decided to return the single creature to the opponent's hand.

Last edited:
Oct 26, 2017
Hey, while I'm here, what's the opinion on Lights Out.

If your opponent has only one creature, the rules make it clear that the card can still be played. What isn't clear is if the opponent's creature gets returned to his hand. I understand that the rules say "play as much of the effect as you can" but is it ok to split an effect like that?

When we played it we decided to return the single creature to the opponent's hand.
Yes you do as much as you can, so if only one creature you return that one creature. If he has no creatures you still can play the card for the AEmber.

Oct 25, 2017
Be warned that dice are not allowed to be used to track things in organized play.
Unless you're going to a super high level regional, it's a really stupid restriction though. At store tournaments no one cares. In fact, hard sided dice are BETTER than the dinky cardboard circle that slides all over the chain card because the slightest touch can lose the state.

Similarly the ban on clear sleeves is stupid though I understand fears about some high level tournament having people mark card backs instead of sleeves. At a store tournament no one cares.

Oct 25, 2017
Clear sleeves allow you to turn cards slightly as well as a form of marking a good card so completely solid opaque backs are the only way to assure no funny business at a glance.

And while we are discussing card specific rulings, anyone want to make an argument for Master of 3 letting you destroy say a power 6 creature that has 3 points of damage? Or a creature with less than 3 power?

The text doesn't say that, but I wouldn't complain about an argument in that direction :p

Nov 17, 2017
Unless you're going to a super high level regional, it's a really stupid restriction though. At store tournaments no one cares. In fact, hard sided dice are BETTER than the dinky cardboard circle that slides all over the chain card because the slightest touch can lose the state.

Similarly the ban on clear sleeves is stupid though I understand fears about some high level tournament having people mark card backs instead of sleeves. At a store tournament no one cares.
I agree with you completely (in fact, my local LGS that is having a keyforge tournament has opted for the opaque sleeve requirement which is annoying), but unfortunately it's Fantasy Flight's call, I guess. The sleeve thing is up to the discretion of the store for local events though.

Oct 27, 2017
Clear sleeves allow you to turn cards slightly as well as a form of marking a good card so completely solid opaque backs are the only way to assure no funny business at a glance.

And while we are discussing card specific rulings, anyone want to make an argument for Master of 3 letting you destroy say a power 6 creature that has 3 points of damage? Or a creature with less than 3 power?

The text doesn't say that, but I wouldn't complain about an argument in that direction :p
Nah, damage doesn't reduce power.
Sorry ;p

Nov 17, 2017

A creature's power doesn't reduce with the damage it takes. So Master of 3 can can't hit it (or anything else that doesn't have exactly 3 power)

Oct 25, 2017
Boo to you both! Boo! :)

It is still a power level 4 card in its own right so still does well enough at cleaning up power 1 and 2 creatures. But what if it were even better....

(I agree with the ruling to be completely clear)

Oct 25, 2017
If people are willing to cheat marking cards, they could also cheat marking sleeves -- it just makes it more difficult. Either way, no one should care in casual.

If FFG cared about the sleeves, they shouldn't have developed a game where every deck back has a cool, unique picture and unique name.

my two decks are both quite weak. i see online many people complaining that their decks are bad, but mine are worse in almost every case

yet, and still, i really love playing with them against randos online. often they get trounced, but sometimes i get just the cards i need to make a great comeback and win, or at least offer up a decent fight

i have to adapt my tactics all the time to have a chance with these decks and it's actually really fun. i've found out how to do the most with my shitty decks and i sort of love them, lol

a very tricky thing with these decks is that they both contain a lot of very situational cards. so i need to find the right balance between discarding cards (or using them only for ember bonus or at non-optimal times) to refill my deck or risk holding onto them for that perfect moment that may take way too long to come, making them dead weight in my hand in the meantime

it's quite an interesting challenge

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
East Coast, USA
my two decks are both quite weak. i see online many people complaining that their decks are bad, but mine are worse in almost every case

yet, and still, i really love playing with them against randos online. often they get trounced, but sometimes i get just the cards i need to make a great comeback and win, or at least offer up a decent fight

i have to adapt my tactics all the time to have a chance with these decks and it's actually really fun. i've found out how to do the most with my shitty decks and i sort of love them, lol

a very tricky thing with these decks is that they both contain a lot of very situational cards. so i need to find the right balance between discarding cards (or using them only for ember bonus or at non-optimal times) to refill my deck or risk holding onto them for that perfect moment that may take way too long to come, making them dead weight in my hand in the meantime

it's quite an interesting challenge
One of my decks has a card that let's me look at the opponents hand and make them discard one sanctum card, haha.

Even if they don't have sanctum it gives me a strong heads up on hand information.

One of my decks has a card that let's me look at the opponents hand and make them discard one sanctum card, haha.

Even if they don't have sanctum it gives me a strong heads up on hand information.
imperial traitor

i have that one too, though i'd prefer to have it in my other deck

one amber on play makes it decent, and it can really help on occasion to to see my opponent's hand to plan my next move, i agree

Oct 25, 2017
East Coast, USA
imperial traitor

i have that one too, though i'd prefer to have it in my other deck

one amber on play makes it decent, and it can really help on occasion to to see my opponent's hand to plan my next move, i agree
Oh, forgot it was also one amber on play. I love that there aren't really dead cards. The only thing that's come close to that is Hand of Dis if they only have one or two creatures out.

First game I played we misplayed that because I assumed that a single creature couldn't possibly be on a flank!