• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Oct 25, 2017
Lol must be a world wide issue same thing happened here in australia.

The game is good but I've probably played under 10 matches so far. I really like mars. Logos has this really nutty card- photon shark? that has been a lot of fun too.

It feels bad when you get a deck that is not quite right tho. I have one Mars/Logos/Brobnar that is /almost/ there except it has only one brobnar creature and it's not even a good one lol

Last edited:

Huntersknoll

Oct 25, 2017
Man.. I was looking forward to it. I had no idea it was going to be so popular. My local store sold out. I'll have to wait another week or so to get the starter set but I'd rather see this than it not sell at all. I hope they start doing keyforge nights.

butzopower

Oct 27, 2017
London
Pre ordered and my shop says they've sent it, but still waiting for mine to show up. My coworker ordered his from the same place, and his came on Thursday. We've been playing and it's pretty good so far, though been a bit RNG heavy on the draw.

CyrilFiggis

Nov 3, 2017
Pennsylvania
Played it over the weekend and thought it was fun. If you're at all familiar with things like MTG it isn't hard to learn. I had a few beers by the time it was explained to me and pretty much had it figured out before my first game was over.

Pay attention to your opponents, though. Even if they aren't trying to cheat they may forget the house they declared for and try to attack with non-aligned creatures. Accidents happen, especially while learning. Basically the hardest part is figuring out which house to declare and keeping track of that on the opponents turn.

xclk07

Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
Been playing for 2 weeks now and loving it. Chicago stores still have decks, but not the core set. Great game and I enjoy the fact that I'm not spending insane amounts of money to be "competitive" like Magic - simply sit down and play!

Granted... this is before the "constructed" organized play has even begun. If it simply turns into a loot box in paper form, I'm out of playing at the store/regional level. But it's a super fun game in and of itself, so there will always be a fun casual basis for me.

JackDT

Oct 27, 2017
You don't need the core set. You can easily use colored dice or chits to track damage, stuns, amber, etc.

Arguably you are better off with 4 random decks than the 40 dollar core set anyway, which has two random and two standard starter decks.

Nappuccino

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I grabbed three packs at the store today. Kinda wondering if I should have gotten all four they had, but I really just wanted to try dueling with my friend, and having a spare pack incase one of the three was way unbalanced.

Edit: As someone who doesn't play these games often, what are some tips for "learning" a deck?

Last edited:

daevv

Oct 27, 2017
Got a starter set plus four additional decks in the mail today. At work for another few hours yet though and I'm dying to look at the cards. Plan on having a few learning games with the basic decks in the starter first with my brother in law. Gonna setup a 4 person round robin or 5-6 Swiss tourney with my decks in my board game/MTG group soon. Will let the winner keep his deck as a surprise. :) Gonna open the decks but keep them sealed tonight. Want to see if I was lucky enough to get a banned deck or maybe a Four Horsemen one.

Nappuccino

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I've bought a good handful of decks, and one of them is just awful. Mars and Untamed with few creatures and thus little possibility of stacking like they're intended.

Cymbal Head

Oct 25, 2017
I put in a late preorder for the starter pack on Amazon, and the estated shipping date keeps moving back, which is annoying but good news for the game at least. Plus, it will give me time to find someone to play with...

chapel

Oct 25, 2017
So uh, any tips for dealing with this deck?

https://www.keyforgegame.com/deck-details/2677b4ff-8367-4921-9032-336ed1c19acc

I'm like 90% sure it's just going to function as a funny deck name in my collection, but any advice for keeping it functional would be great.

Edited for the correct deck link.
Looking at it, you have some strong synergies in the respective houses, but also some cross synergies especially with the ability to play Mars cards outside of having named that house.

You have a ton of damage capabilities, so you could control the board very easily. Beyond that you have quite a bit of pure aember gain from cards and some that can really boost you depending on how your board has shaped up. You have big creatures to jam up the board that protect ones that you might want to use their abilities for.

I might try it on Crucible and see how it plays, it looks like it would be fun. Much more fun than mine, well mine is "fun" in that it is challenging to get anything going right.

https://www.keyforgegame.com/deck-details/da90a25e-81fe-45f9-959f-e60aea91ee62

There is one fun combo, but requires three different cards and a decent board of creatures to make it worthwhile. Pick logos, reap or attack with creatures (make sure not to let any of them die). Play Library Access which draws a card for every card played this turn. Play any other logos creatures or cards you can, including Phase Shift which allows you to play a non-logos card. After you've played what you want for the turn, you play Hysteria which returns all creatures to their owners hands. This means I can now replay all those creatures and draw a card for each one. Giving a chance to draw more cards to keep the combo going or at least filling out your hand with other houses to play with.

In one game the combo won me the game, but in another it put me ahead at the time but I eventually lost even though my opponent said he felt like he lost after the combo.

I'm really enjoying the game and can't way to play with more decks. Going to try and get my wife to play as well and check out any local game stores.

Supa Necta

Oct 25, 2017
After a couple of quick games with the starters, my wife and I played with some unique decks and the game went nowhere. I would get aember, she would steal it, I'd kill most of her creatures, I'd forge, she'd unforge then steal. We ended up calling a draw as no one could get ahead. Still fun though.

Lupercal

Banned
Jan 9, 2018
I just got straight up owned by someone who had a seemingly endless supply of Mars cards.
Mothergun seems so powerful.

Darkmaigle

Oct 25, 2017
My local shop is supposed to be getting restocked today, only problem is they share a parking lot with Best Buy. Finding a spot gonna be a real pain in the assssss

Oct 25, 2017
After a couple of quick games with the starters, my wife and I played with some unique decks and the game went nowhere. I would get aember, she would steal it, I'd kill most of her creatures, I'd forge, she'd unforge then steal. We ended up calling a draw as no one could get ahead. Still fun though.
How did she not end up forging if she had stolen amber? I could understand if she was recurring key hammer into her hand somehow, but outright stealing (instead of capturing) means she would accumulate amber over time.

Hermit7

Oct 27, 2017
Bought 4 decks over the past week. Game is pretty fun overall and has some interesting interactions. The whole deck concept is great and should allow for some long term play. Also at 10 dollars it is cheaper than playing mtg. I think sealed is going to be better for tournaments overall, reduces buying a ton for certain strategies and guarantees a bit more fairness.

Not sure about tournaments or anything but the randomization is cool and I opened a decent one I think.

Nappuccino

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Looking at it, you have some strong synergies in the respective houses, but also some cross synergies especially with the ability to play Mars cards outside of having named that house.

You have a ton of damage capabilities, so you could control the board very easily. Beyond that you have quite a bit of pure aember gain from cards and some that can really boost you depending on how your board has shaped up. You have big creatures to jam up the board that protect ones that you might want to use their abilities for.

I might try it on Crucible and see how it plays, it looks like it would be fun. Much more fun than mine, well mine is "fun" in that it is challenging to get anything going right.

https://www.keyforgegame.com/deck-details/da90a25e-81fe-45f9-959f-e60aea91ee62

There is one fun combo, but requires three different cards and a decent board of creatures to make it worthwhile. Pick logos, reap or attack with creatures (make sure not to let any of them die). Play Library Access which draws a card for every card played this turn. Play any other logos creatures or cards you can, including Phase Shift which allows you to play a non-logos card. After you've played what you want for the turn, you play Hysteria which returns all creatures to their owners hands. This means I can now replay all those creatures and draw a card for each one. Giving a chance to draw more cards to keep the combo going or at least filling out your hand with other houses to play with.

In one game the combo won me the game, but in another it put me ahead at the time but I eventually lost even though my opponent said he felt like he lost after the combo.

I'm really enjoying the game and can't way to play with more decks. Going to try and get my wife to play as well and check out any local game stores.
Thanks for the write up. I'll have to give the deck another shot. Maybe I'll play with a bit more attention to discarding so I can cycle through and get back to my creatures sooner.

Oct 26, 2017
Thanks for the write up. I'll have to give the deck another shot. Maybe I'll play with a bit more attention to discarding so I can cycle through and get back to my creatures sooner.

I think discarding will be a very important part of the game.

I've got a deck that has Mars in it, but the Mars part of the deck is mostly filled with spells. There's only two creatures, and they have no meaningful interaction with the rest of the deck. So, what I could do is use something like Orbital Bombardment on a turn, then discard my Mars cards and then draw however many I discarded at the end of my turn.

xclk07

Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
I think discarding will be a very important part of the game.

It certainly is. There's the case where you mention were you simply get weak cards that you need to cycle through, but there's also the case of not holding on to strong cards to gum up your hand for the particular strategy you are executing. Discarding is essentially card draw here and card draw is almost always insanely poweful in any tcg.

chapel

Oct 25, 2017
Sometimes I'll get powerful cards for late game that just do nothing for me to start, so I will discard those to make space for something else that has more impact in the moment. There is a lot of depth to this game that doesn't appear at first glance, similar to how in MTG you can play it simply but there are strategies that really help in optimizing your play like the order of what you play and when.

Feep

Lead Designer, Iridium Studios
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Had some fun playing with a few friends' decks last night. Won one, lost one. Both games had interesting strategic depth and decent combo opportunities.

I do think it's somewhat limited by lack of experimentation and creation aspects, and like others have said, the art seems to be pretty meh. But I had fun, and that's what counts.

Oct 25, 2017
Had some fun playing with a few friends' decks last night. Won one, lost one. Both games had interesting strategic depth and decent combo opportunities.

I do think it's somewhat limited by lack of experimentation and creation aspects, and like others have said, the art seems to be pretty meh. But I had fun, and that's what counts.
Who else mentioned the art was meh? Or do you mean outside this thread? I'm reasonably fond of the art, which ranges from decent to great.

Feep

Lead Designer, Iridium Studios
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Who else mentioned the art was meh? Or do you mean outside this thread? I'm reasonably fond of the art, which ranges from decent to great.
I dunno. A few. And I kind of agree with them. I don't find it super appealing. It's not *bad*, but...

Am I really gonna be the first one here to shit on the faction names and icons? I'm super into the game concept but my GOD those are terrible.

$

Fucking Brobnar!? MARS!? This shit reads like the packaging on a bootleg knockoff, what the hell happened to the FFG team that did design for Android: Netrunner!?

Concept is interesting but "art" is horrendous

Interesting concept except;

Deck building and brewing is most of the fun for me in card games. I have spent many a night with my cards all over my room putting together 'unique' decks of my own. I don't want a machine or random number generator making my decks and a company also telling me I can't modify them.

I enjoy the social aswell of trading and earning my cards in TCGs. Every card I have down to the commons has a story and history behind it. I remember where and how I earned my valued cards and the events I got them in. Keyforge doesn't a story behind your cards. You basically got them from a 'box' similar to the way you opened your Uno cards. The cards I earned in Magic or Yugioh represent various moments in my life, Keyforge will never have that.

Keyforges art looks mediocre and generic. Also the game just reminds me of Solforge.

TheYanger

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I can see not liking the 'style' it's fairly whimsical and not serious, but the art itself seems totally fine?

PCfromNYC

Oct 25, 2017
Man, I'd love to get into this game, but my neighborhood isn't exactly a hotbed for card games (or tabletop games in general) so I feel like buying a deck would be a waste of money for me.

Darkmaigle

Oct 25, 2017
Shit my store didn't get their restock today, I don't wanna keep annoying them but I'm gonna check like mad tomorrow

Mr.Beep

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
So people are reporting some pretty 'unplayable' decks? This is my biggest fear of just getting pretty random stuff.

Shrennin

Oct 25, 2017
I have two local stores. One is really big and sold out completely, but one had three basic decks left and some playmats. Starters are completely sold out on a distributor level I'm told.

One is going to start buying/selling decks — probably both, actually — and they'll both be hosting tourneys so that's good. Seems really popular.

piratepwnsninja

Lead Game Designer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
So people are reporting some pretty 'unplayable' decks? This is my biggest fear of just getting pretty random stuff.

It's way too early for that, in my opinion. Are some decks going to be better than others? Yes. It isn't a flat plane. But we have over 30 decks, and none have been unplayable yet. Matchups make a huge difference, and your fifth time playing a deck is going to give a better understanding of its inner workings than the first time.

Just last night my son and I played two unopened decks, and he was like, "This deck is bad." after I won. We switched and I destroyed him with said "bad" deck.

Shrennin

Oct 25, 2017
been an absolute hit here. I have three decks so far.

I bought the last three at the one shop that had them. I just really want a starter for the ember, tokens, and whatnot.

I was just going to buy one, but with three that's at least a good rotation right now.

It's way too early for that, in my opinion. Are some decks going to be better than others? Yes. It isn't a flat plane.

I feel like it's going to be worse in Keyforge in terms of people blaming the deck if they lose. Taking away deck construction leaves an easy excuse. I feel and hope most of the time it's wrong, but it'll be true in some circumstances I'm sure. Still, the appeal to this game is some of its randomness and Garfield really knows how to design games with good use of random.

Last edited:

Nappuccino

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I bought the last three at the one shop that had them. I just really want a starter for the ember, tokens, and whatnot.

I was just going to buy one, but with three that's at least a good rotation right now.

I feel like it's going to be worse in Keyforge in terms of people blaming the deck if they lose. Taking away deck construction leaves an easy excuse. I feel and hope most of the time it's wrong, but it'll be true in some circumstances I'm sure. Still, the appeal to this game is some of its randomness and Garfield really knows how to design games with good use of random.
I'll be curious too. Some of the decks will probably ask for very, very different play styles to a degree that some players might not expect. But some just seems crazy. I have one deck with 26 creatures and they're all pretty buff (Brobnar and Sanctum). Reaping with those guys out on the board becomes a pretty quick win, at least in the few games we've played with said deck.

My first game with that deck was against a deck with just 14 or so creatures and they were just constantly whipped off the board.

McScroggz

The Fallen
Jan 11, 2018
It's an interesting idea, but what if you get a deck that's just not that competitive? Wouldn't that be a real issue?

Shrennin

Oct 25, 2017
I'll be curious too. Some of the decks will probably ask for very, very different play styles to a degree that some players might not expect. But some just seems crazy. I have one deck with 26 creatures and they're all pretty buff (Brobnar and Sanctum). Reaping with those guys out on the board becomes a pretty quick win, at least in the few games we've played with said deck.

My first game with that deck was against a deck with just 14 or so creatures and they were just constantly whipped off the board.

What's crazy is the way people are evaluating the decks. Decks with the four horsemen go anywhere from $50 to $300. This one deck with a double set went for ~$2,000 on eBay. It's crazy to try to determine how good a deck may be right now. I'm sure there'll be pretty bad decks, but that's the nature of the game. Working with what you have. Another deck is only $10 away.

I haven't had a chance to look into it much, but Sanctum and Mars seem really fun. Shadows looks like it's really good but has a higher skill ceiling.

Last edited:

Fou-Lu

Oct 25, 2017
Every shop near me sold out day one and most online stores in Canada are sold out as well. Either shipments were just very low, or it's a hit, or both! I haven't got a deck myself yet, but I know friends who are playing and loving it.

Oct 25, 2017
Over 150,000 decks have been registered already. That seems like a reasonable success to me, though who knows what will happen longterm.

Ashodin

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Durham, NC
It's an interesting idea, but what if you get a deck that's just not that competitive? Wouldn't that be a real issue?
All decks are competitive. When real organized and constructed play happens, your deck will be given "chains" before the start of the match if it's too good to even the playing field vs. other decks in the tournament.

These chains can be seen on the website itself before play so everyone knows if you have an OP deck or not. The feature isn't live yet, but it's a novel way to make sure that tournaments can be really won by anyone.

This is the newest deck I just picked up:

https://www.keyforgegame.com/deck-details/db0cfa0c-d45c-4907-8c13-cdf624e8e073

unknown.png

Oct 25, 2017
I just heard about this. How do I get in, seems sold out. I feel like I missed out...
They have to print more decks, and in theory the German supply line should let them print and ship more faster than a traditional Chinese manufacturing method. We'll see how it works out.

In the meantime just be patient for 2-3 weeks and definitely don't spend like $50 on eBay. :P

PeskyToaster

Oct 27, 2017
They have to print more decks, and in theory the German supply line should let them print and ship more faster than a traditional Chinese manufacturing method. We'll see how it works out.

In the meantime just be patient for 2-3 weeks and definitely don't spend like $50 on eBay. :P

Is the starter pack something I should buy or individual decks?