• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

McScroggz

The Fallen
Jan 11, 2018
All decks are competitive. When real organized and constructed play happens, your deck will be given "chains" before the start of the match if it's too good to even the playing field vs. other decks in the tournament.

These chains can be seen on the website itself before play so everyone knows if you have an OP deck or not. The feature isn't live yet, but it's a novel way to make sure that tournaments can be really won by anyone.

This is the newest deck I just picked up:

https://www.keyforgegame.com/deck-details/db0cfa0c-d45c-4907-8c13-cdf624e8e073

unknown.png

That's pretty cool. Hope they get it right. Always good to see innovation!

Ashodin

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Durham, NC
Starter set is still available on Barnes and Noble's site, they have some coupons on their main page that might knock the price down too.
oh wow interesting!

Hopefully more people can get into the game.

You can look at your decks you have scanned with the app (Here)

You can keep track of your stats with this well-designed app (Here)

And the website itself which I linked to in an early post.

You can also play online at https://www.thecrucible.online

Enjoy!

TheYanger

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Local gamestore has shitloads of decks still. almost bought a box but decided to restrain myself and buy 4 instead.
W93PJ2Mg.jpg

Based purely on name, I'm partial to The Permanently Crusty Owl of Archibrook myself. I think that's the deck I'll enjoy most too based only on the factions.

piratepwnsninja

Lead Game Designer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Played against the guy that started the main Keyforge Facebook group at a local tournament today. I won in like 15 minutes. :p

Only went 2-2. Event was get a new deck and play, which is my preferred format. Both of my losses were incredibly close games. I just didn't have enough ways to take amber at the end of the both games. If I'd have gotten one more turn in each, I'd have been able to lockout and win. Still had a great time.

TheYanger

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Ok using that ADHD system from reddit on keyforge compendium. looks like my Untamed, Brobnar, Sanctum and Brobnar, Dis, Sanctum decks should be the best of my four by a pretty wide margin. Obviously mostly looking at that as a curiosity since synergies and whatnot are the actual important parts. But having spent time looking at all the decks, I believe it. The board control of my Brob/Sanc/Dis deck looks absolutely insane, and the other one is just all around strong despite not having many rares or anything.

Ashodin

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Durham, NC
This is a game where the commons/uncommons and such can be especially powerful because it doesn't have to have garbage cards.

Arttemis

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Between the creativity in this, X-Wing 2.0, and Arkham Horror 3E, I'm a massive fan of FFG's right now.

Nawt Shoor

Alt-Account
Banned
Oct 15, 2018
Probably a dumb question, but is there any kind of free "starter deck" Master Vault link I can use to try the game out online before buying? Or any way to generate a free Master Vault link?

Or I guess the whole point is I have to buy the physical game and get a code from the pack... lol

I just want to try the game to see if I like it!

Fou-Lu

Oct 25, 2017
My friends continue to send me updates on how much they are enjoying Keyforge. I'll get some decks one day!

I am interested to see how much staying power this game has and how they plan on expanding it, as well as what formats will grow out of said expansion.

Between the creativity in this, X-Wing 2.0, and Arkham Horror 3E, I'm a massive fan of FFG's right now.

What did they change in X-Wing 2.0? Haven't played in a long time, but I overheard some people complaining that it was basically the same game, just different enough to make them buy new stuff.

Deleted member 40133

User requested account closure
Banned
Feb 19, 2018
I absolutely cannot find a starter set. But is it worth buying decks without the starter set? Because those I can find

xclk07

Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
I absolutely cannot find a starter set. But is it worth buying decks without the starter set? Because those I can find

Yes, there are two decks in the starter set that are non-unique (including in each starter) and then two random decks. The tokens and such are nice, but absolutely not needed. All you need is $10 for a deck and you are ready to play!

Supa Necta

Oct 25, 2017
I was concerned about not having chain counters, tokens, or stun cards, but after playing a few games, they're nice to have but any combo of tokens and dice from other games would suffice.

PeskyToaster

Oct 27, 2017
If you have any sort of tokens from other games, the starter set isn't needed. Star Wars Destiny cardboard tokens work really well, along with some cheap D6's.

Thanks and thanks everyone in this thread. I just dropped it as a Christmas suggestion hint so we'll see what comes of that. I might pick up some packs afterwards if I like it.

Deleted member 40133

User requested account closure
Banned
Feb 19, 2018

Arttemis

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
My friends continue to send me updates on how much they are enjoying Keyforge. I'll get some decks one day!

I am interested to see how much staying power this game has and how they plan on expanding it, as well as what formats will grow out of said expansion.

What did they change in X-Wing 2.0? Haven't played in a long time, but I overheard some people complaining that it was basically the same game, just different enough to make them buy new stuff.
Not. Even. Close. X-Wing 2.0 uses the same dice and templates, but everything has been rebalanced and repriced, and the variety of actions are normalized across the entire Pantheon of ships.

Action economy has been finally reeled in. Linked actions are printed on ship cards now, which allow for a predetermined action at the cost of a stress.
Evade actions have totally changed the game, since now they change a die result to instead of adding an evade to your pool. Munitions have been totally revamped for the better.

The whole thing is a step above 1.0. It's honestly more than I had hoped for, let alone expected.

JackDT

Oct 27, 2017

Yes. Arguably you are better off buying 4 real decks for $40 instead of buying 2 starters and and 2 random decks in the starter kit for $40.

I prefer using colored dice for counters over the official markers anyway.

Fou-Lu

Oct 25, 2017
Not. Even. Close. X-Wing 2.0 uses the same dice and templates, but everything has been rebalanced and repriced, and the variety of actions are normalized across the entire Pantheon of ships.

Action economy has been finally reeled in. Linked actions are printed on ship cards now, which allow for a predetermined action at the cost of a stress.
Evade actions have totally changed the game, since now they change a die result to instead of adding an evade to your pool. Munitions have been totally revamped for the better.

The whole thing is a step above 1.0. It's honestly more than I had hoped for, let alone expected.

Glad to hear it! I also just read that they want to allow people to get all the cards they need while only buying ships within their faction which is a huge plus to me. That and I love the Republic ship designs no matter my opinions of the prequels and plan to start buying Republic stuff.

Shrennin

Oct 25, 2017
Nice my store got some decks in, they have 4 on hold for me!

My store told me to check-in on Wednesday or Thursday - I was trying to get a starter set, but since I got one from Barnes and Noble - and hopefully that order goes through - then I won't need the starter set any longer from my local shop. My local shop is actually Star City Games for anyone that's played Magic - they told me that they were seeing a lot of interest in Keyforge and that they planned to have at least casual tournaments set up for it. I hope they go pretty big into the game because I think it could end up being something special.

Belfast

Oct 28, 2017
For all the worry before release, KeyForge does seem to have come together pretty well. Some people will never be satisfied by what it offers, but I feel most people who have played it seem to have positive impressions.

I bought four decks the other day, and have the starter set from B&N coming tomorrow. Only played one game with the SO so far and she kicked my ass but we both liked it.

I don't really anticipate going too deep with it, but I like it enough to play it once in awhile.

Spookie

Oct 28, 2017
Wirral, UK
So the card which stops the opposition forging a key (Shadows) and the breaks a key after it's forged (Dis) I've found to be absolute bullshit. We had a in store OP where as the deck went 5/0 in an elimination tournament. Ofc the player then stacks their hand with steals and sets them self up for two keys in the next two turns. :/

At least I came 4th and got a promotional chains tracker card (shadow) & mini stun cards.

Darkmaigle

Oct 25, 2017
Played a couple rounds with the wife last night. We both had a ton of fun, nice change of pace type of game where combat isn't everything (depending on your deck)

Shrennin

Oct 25, 2017
My starter set is on its way. So excited. I know the tokens are easily replaced, but it'll still be nice to have. Plus I get two decks! =D

Shadybiz

Oct 27, 2017
I saw this game mentioned in that "Magic is mismanaged, etc" thread. I did some googling to see what it was about.

I think....I think I gotta get a few decks of this. I played Magic WAAAAYY back in the day (like before there were even expansion sets), but then lost track of it. Came back to it to find that the game had changed...so many damn cards, and I wasn't willing to invest the time or money into making good decks.

So this seems pretty up my alley. Also my wife might...MIGHT like to play this, which is good, because my options are limited, lol.

SoH

Oct 25, 2017
Got my first maverick so that's pretty cool. Somewhat limited in use but could be a killer if things line up against a mars deck. And a free Aember is always nice. Has a Master of 3 as well so I'll take it.

edit: oh shit, reading it again here once posting I thought it said reduced for each mars card in your hand. That is actually a pretty nice little card.

Z7Ah55Sl.jpg

super-famicom

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
My store had about a dozen decks in stock, I picked up two. Got "Ferris of Cloverdarrow" and "E. Auric, Sandcon's Awkward Statistician." Loving the name of the latter.

Now I just have to learn how to play!

laoni

Oct 25, 2017
My city is completely sold out of Keyforge decks so I haven't been able to pick up one, I've been playing with my boyfriend online, and having a blast. We're getting decks next week, playing in a casual blind deck tourney so that'll be fun!

TheYanger

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
My city is completely sold out of Keyforge decks so I haven't been able to pick up one, I've been playing with my boyfriend online, and having a blast. We're getting decks next week, playing in a casual blind deck tourney so that'll be fun!
Yeah even my lgs that had like 5 boxes left is out. Everywhere is tapped out.

RedMercury

Blue Venus
Dec 24, 2017
The only person I' have to play this with is my wife, I feel like wouldn't it get boring quick though having 2 decks, and then I'd just have to keep buying us new decks in perpetuity

TheZynster

Oct 26, 2017
Thats pretty cool honestly

Means most folks will carry a few decks and try to master them.

I think I'll show this to my family

SoH

Oct 25, 2017
The only person I' have to play this with is my wife, I feel like wouldn't it get boring quick though having 2 decks, and then I'd just have to keep buying us new decks in perpetuity
Depends really but I heard the team covenant guys mention they expect around 10 games of play out of the average deck (more or less depending on how much you like the particular deck naturally) which sounds about right to me.

If that proves true I suppose what matters is if you feel around 10-20 hours of play for $10 is appealing. Personally it is a game I plan to dip into and out of on the regular so being able to check in whenever for $10 and be "caught up" and then bounce is pretty nice.

TheYanger

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Depends really but I heard the team covenant guys mention they expect around 10 games of play out of the average deck (more or less depending on how much you like the particular deck naturally) which sounds about right to me.

If that proves true I suppose what matters is if you feel around 10-20 hours of play for $10 is appealing. Personally it is a game I plan to dip into and out of on the regular so being able to check in whenever for $10 and be "caught up" and then bounce is pretty nice.
The thing is too that the more decks you have the more different 'games' you can see, beyond just the differences inherent to the decks themselves. It's still better than other card games in that respect.

SoH

Oct 25, 2017
The thing is too that the more decks you have the more different 'games' you can see, beyond just the differences inherent to the decks themselves. It's still better than other card games in that respect.
Agreed, it is a pretty interesting take on a card pool and "meta" because it can feel incredibly fresh just by the weird combination of factors out of your control.

I can definitely see it as a style of game that some are into and some are not and that's cool. The mystery phase with a new deck figuring out it's quirks is the highlight for me. Even the most mundane appearing deck can have surprising moments.

Excelsior

Oct 28, 2017
this has piqued my interest, gonna test it out online. is it super expensive to get into right now? y'all talk about getting multiple decks - is that needed...? is there a marketplace for buying/selling/trading decks?

xclk07

Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
this has piqued my interest, gonna test it out online. is it super expensive to get into right now? y'all talk about getting multiple decks - is that needed...? is there a marketplace for buying/selling/trading decks?

To get into it is $10 retail. $20 if you want two decks so you can play against a friend! :-)

Multiple decks are not needed at this point. There is no ranker in any organized play right now, it's simply learning the game.

Excelsior

Oct 28, 2017
To get into it is $10 retail. $20 if you want two decks so you can play against a friend! :-)

Multiple decks are not needed at this point. There is no ranker in any organized play right now, it's simply learning the game.

that's reassuring to know, thanks! what's the best place to get em from? looks like amazon and ebay don't have anything reasonable...