• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

JVID

Oct 25, 2017
Chicagoland
They are active even when not the active house as they are essentially constant abilities that modify the host card. Here is the relevant rule text. This also applies to artifacts and creatures that don't have a bolded action text such as the first line of Grabber Jammer.
Right, I got that. But to attach the card you need to have the house of the upgrade card declared that turn right? Like could i attach a Mars upgrade to a shadow creature while shadow is declared as the current house?

Arkestry

Oct 26, 2017
London
Right, I got that. But to attach the card you need to have the house of the upgrade card declared that turn right? Like could i attach a Mars upgrade to a shadow creature while shadow is declared as the current house?
The rules say you can only play cards of the active house. So a mars upgrade can only be played on a mars turn.

SoH

Oct 25, 2017
Correct. You can only play (lay down) cards in the active house. If the active house is Shadow you cannot play a Mars upgrade on any creature, mars, shadow or otherwise.

If active house instead is Mars you can play it on a Mars, shadow, or any other house creature and its effect happens immediately. You just can't fight or reap or whatever else with that non-active house creature (unless there is some other rule in effect like Omni)

Spenny

Oct 25, 2017
San Diego-ish
Got two more decks today!

The Emperor of Swinburn (Mars, Dis, Sanctum)

Moustafa, Winterworld Duelist (Sanctum, Untamed, Logos)

Local game store won't be having any game nights until January though :/

laoni

Oct 25, 2017
I'm going to pick up my second deck today, so my afternoon will probably be playing it against my boyfriend's second deck, see how it goes! I'm excited though, to see what I get

Luigi87

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Jeez, went to one local store here in Canada. They were selling individual decks for $19.99 CAD. That's... excessive, particularly when I see them going online for less than $12 CAD.
... Well the search continues.

Spenny

Oct 25, 2017
San Diego-ish
If anyone wants to play on Crucible in about 30 minutes let me know. Trying to get the hang of the game. Really wish we had an Era KeyForge discord. Might start one if anyone is interested

SoH

Oct 25, 2017
There is a fairly active Board Game Era discord that has a variety of games, including card games. I'd imagine they'd be willing to add a KeyForge channel if there is enough interest.

XShagrath

Oct 25, 2017
There is a fairly active Board Game Era discord that has a variety of games, including card games. I'd imagine they'd be willing to add a KeyForge channel if there is enough interest.
Absolutely! We're always open to having more people to talk with. I went ahead and made a channel, just in case anyone wants to pop on over.

Quote for the server link.
Hidden content
You need to reply to this thread in order to see this content.

laoni

Oct 25, 2017
So today I got very lucky with a broken combo, and thanks to it, I ended up drawing my entire deck into my hand. I played Library Access, used Help From The Future to shuffle my discard into my deck and pull Timetraveller out from my deck. I played him, drew 3 cards,and drew out Library Access again.

Lots of combos of Timetraveller/Help from the Future drawing out Library Access again, I was drawing 6 cards per every card I played and so my deck became my hand. Generated a shitton of Aember and stopped any stealing with Vaultkeeper

JetBlackPanda

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Echo Base
I joined the discord too! thanks! I agree on the crucible. FFG needs to get there own version up and running.

XShagrath

Oct 25, 2017
On average, how long are your matches lasting? I've only played three times, and they've been tending to run about 45 minutes. I feel that's really long, and hope that's just due to us not really knowing how to play that well yet.

laoni

Oct 25, 2017
On average, how long are your matches lasting? I've only played three times, and they've been tending to run about 45 minutes. I feel that's really long, and hope that's just due to us not really knowing how to play that well yet.
With my boyfriend they seem to last about 25-30min, but we've played lots against each other and we have a general gust of what each of our cards do

The tournament we played in was a 30min per game, and a handful of games were running close to or weren't finished in that time, so they were contemplating bumping that 30min up to 45min just to ensure everybody got to finish their games. That was also a sealed deck tournament with more than a few new players

XShagrath

Oct 25, 2017
So for those looking for decks coolstuffinc.com has starters.
Unless you really want them right now, I would not support coolstuffinc for Keyforge, as they have jacked up the price. They normally sell all FFG products at 15% off, but the starters are retail. Also, they had pushed the price of the stand-alone decks to $11.99, which is over retail. Their original price was $8.49 when they first released.

I understand the current scarcity of the product, but don't appreciate large retail chains hiking up the price to make a few bucks. This is something I expect from a secondary market.

I picked up two extra decks this week at Barnes & Noble for $9 (since I get a 10% membership discount).

Deleted member 38227

User requested account closure
Banned
Jan 12, 2018
I know, it's just with the shortage this may be an last resort option. And starter prices are not jacked up. But FFG also has them...

And I'm going to read up on the rules over the weekend so hopefully we won't have 60 minute games on Monday.

XShagrath

Oct 25, 2017
I know, it's just with the shortage this may be an last resort option. And starter prices are not jacked up. But FFG also has them...
Starters are jacked up from what they originally were. When first released, they were $34 at CSI.

I'm just not a fan of stores raising prices on items to make a couple extra bucks from their customers, especially not for something that's not out of print. Of course, if that's the only avenue to get the game, and you don't mind paying the extra (from what it should be at that store), then that's up to you.

Deleted member 38227

User requested account closure
Banned
Jan 12, 2018
But starters are $40 on FFG too. And I agree with you.
I paid 30 with shipping for two decks... lol I have no willpower, and I didn't want to drive the twenty minutes to go to CSG, so I guess that makes me lazy, too.

Shadybiz

Oct 27, 2017
Got my marked up decks in the mail, so now I have 6.

Epicatus, the Hit Man of Drinkford (Brobnar, Dis, Untamed)
Lawson "Trix" Junione (Dis, Lagos, Mars)
Coachman Delta Yamard (Dis, Mars, Shadows)
Alarming "Angus" Hoskuld (Brobnar, Dis, Sanctum)
Devilmu, Harbor Giant (Brobnar, Dis, Lagos)
Yumver, That which Creates the Harbor (Mars, Sanctum, Untamed)

Seems like a pretty good sampling. I think I'm looking forward to trying out the bolded one the most. Now to find time to actually play. Might have time to log onto the website tomorrow.

Arkestry

Oct 26, 2017
London
After playing half a dozen games, I feel like Brobnar Sanctum would be a really strong combo. Having Gauntlet's of Control with armour creatures is a really strong synergy, and you can deal out a lot more damage than you take. I know the game isn't all about fighting, but I'd be interested to see if a Br/Sa deck would be hard to beat.

Orb

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
USA
Grabbed three decks last night at B&N because it's all I could find locally, and then I just happened to stumble into one of my local game stores this morning right as they got their shipment of Starters, so I snagged one. Excited to give it a shot! Seems like a lot of the mechanics are really, really smart.

Apollo

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
After playing half a dozen games, I feel like Brobnar Sanctum would be a really strong combo. Having Gauntlet's of Control with armour creatures is a really strong synergy, and you can deal out a lot more damage than you take. I know the game isn't all about fighting, but I'd be interested to see if a Br/Sa deck would be hard to beat.

My friend has that combo in his deck and I'm having trouble handling it with mine. I have Shadows/Untamed/Brobnar with no armored creatures and after he gets set up I can't do anything lol. It doesn't seem like a great matchup with my particular set of cards. Almost none of my creatures can even penetrate his armor, let alone last long enough to use their actions or reap.

laoni

Oct 25, 2017

I have a Brobnar/Sanctum combo deck with lots of creatures (But no Gauntlet of Command) but, I have a really nice synergy with a Sanctum card called Protectrix. When I reap with him, I heal a monster to full HP and if I do that, that monster can't take any damage that turn. So I can heal up Brobnar cards that got damaged last time fighting, or heal up any spell damage to anyone important. The deck has Inspiration too so I could use a Brobnar card on my Sanctum turn.

Manzoon

Oct 25, 2017
East Coast, USA
So me and friend just got a couple of decks each today and oh man this game is great. We both had a blast and I'm going to get another buddy into it. We didn't bother with the starter since we have a billion tokens from other board games and we've played card games our whole lives just about.

Distriskog, the "Novice" of Helmets (Brobnar, Dis, Shadow) was victorious! This deck seemed really powerful, I had like 6 chains on me from using multiple table clearing powers. Lots of amber stealing in this deck. My buddy's big mistake was his neutron shark backfiring on him.

Homer U. Puffcandy, the Center (Logos, Mars, Shadow) tried his best but was overwhelmed by a strength 12 dragon with a +5 buff on it. Interesting deck with 3 titan mechanics in it who never lived to help me get a key out cheaply.

Can't wait to play more, my local game store is having a tournament next weekend that I'll probably go to.

Last edited:

Luigi87

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Bought three decks at my local game store. First one I'm looking at has Hayyel the Merchant
"Each time you play an artifact, gain 1 AEmber"
Deck has just two artifacts in it, lol

Anywho got
Dis, Shadow, Logos
Dis, Shadow, Sanctum
Dis, Untamed, Brobnar

Last edited:
Dec 18, 2017
Just got back from a tournament. Tied for first! The deck I used has potential for a brutal Martian gangbang: 3 John Smiths and an Yxilo Bolter. Used correctly, they generate 7 aember and deal 8 damage. Because of this, I won the last game in 5 turns.

SoH

Oct 25, 2017
I'm ambivalent about this because on the one hand I kind of love that mavericks can break the game and don't want that element removed from the game, on the other hand a three card combo that eliminates all opponent options except Omni is maaaaybe a bit too broken.

I am curious if they address stuff like this how they will go about it. Slapping a Chain 24 on this deck wouldn't really solve the problem.

Oct 25, 2017
Supposedly it's intended by Garfield, and he's said in an interview that he would rather the game just end early since he considers skipping a turn almost game-losing. So apparently Restringuntus etc. instant wins are intended.

I definitely disagree with him but eh. Then again his intent was for Biomatrix Backup to be mandatory, and here am I with my multiple decks with 2x copies each and it's a very mediocre card now.

I strongly feel they should have made more explicit in the rules that there are alternate instant win conditions though. In a game like Destiny where an alternate condition is an option, they clearly spell it out as intended in the rules, rather than "you have to infer that a can't / can condition produce an invalid condition which combined with your lack of cards mean you could TECHNICALLY take a bunch of useless turns but instead you're supposed to concede".

XShagrath

Oct 25, 2017
I saw a proposed fix for combos like this on BGG, and I think it makes sense (at least from my limited plays of the game). Have cards that are supposed to go to the discard pile during a turn go to some other temporary pile, so that they cannot be recurred.

Oct 25, 2017
I saw a proposed fix for combos like this on BGG, and I think it makes sense (at least from my limited plays of the game). Have cards that are supposed to go to the discard pile during a turn go to some other temporary pile, so that they cannot be recurred.
It wouldn't fix this case, because the next turn is when you pull Control the Weak out of the discard pile.

It would take an errata like Star Wars Destiny, where there is a card called Hyperspace Jump which ends the entire round immediately (normally both players get several back-and-forth turns before the round ends). People found ways to exploit that and do it repeatedly, so they just ruled that when you jumped, the card purged itself from the game entirely.

cakely

Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
Played two long evenings of this game last week, probably about a dozen games with three other players.

Here are my impressions:

Pros:
  • Lack of deck construction: Crack open a deck, play it, and so far, every deck has at least been viable, if not strong.
  • Gameplay decisions are only made on your turn: There are no interrupts, or even choices to make when it's not your turn. This removes a normal layer of CCG confusion.
  • Interesting rares: Each deck we've seen has a couple of cards with big effects that we didn't see in any other decks.
  • Good creature combat: Fight pits two creatures against each other in an unambiguous fashion. Damage isn't healed at the end of the turn, so combat feels less hopeless.
  • Any creature can be potentially used as creature removal: So generally, the board doesn't fill up completely with unkillable creatures.
Negatives:
  • It can be a long game: The randomized decks aren't optimized in any way, so some games take a very long time to play, (like, 90 minutes long). When you have two decks that have multiple anti-key forging cards, the game can really drag out.
  • Some rule ambiguity: We had a couple of cards (like "lights out") that weren't really clear if the effect could occur without every target being present.
Verdict:
  • It's a very enjoyable game: I certainly didn't need to buy 12 decks of it, but I have no regrets. I'm sure I'll be opening and playing my two unopened decks.

Kito

Nov 6, 2017
So, if I want to get into this with my girlfriend, what do we need to buy for a complete experience? Is buying a deck like buying a booster pack, in that it's all random? Are some decks clearly better than others, with lower chances of getting a rare/legendary/OP deck?

Any advice on where to buy in the US? B&N seems like a good option from what I've skimmed through.

Thanks!

Manzoon

Oct 25, 2017
East Coast, USA
So, if I want to get into this with my girlfriend, what do we need to buy for a complete experience? Is buying a deck like buying a booster pack, in that it's all random? Are some decks clearly better than others, with lower chances of getting a rare/legendary/OP deck?

Any advice on where to buy in the US? B&N seems like a good option from what I've skimmed through.

Thanks!
The decks are each completely unique. I got two decks along with a friend who also got two and they all seemed viable from our short play session.

I would say it feels like buying a sealed deck in magic except everything just happens to play well with each other and you don't have dead cards.

If you don't have a ton of tokens lying around from other games then it might be worth buying the starter for $40 (the starter decks will probably get almost no play after a couple of games), or if you aren't that familiar with card games. I have a bucket load of random tokens from all kinds of crap and I've been playing card games for years, so I was fine just getting two random decks.

My local Barnes & Noble was sold out but my local game store had a lot in stock.

Kito

Nov 6, 2017
Thanks so much for all the info! I have some Pokemon Trainer Kits with dice, markers, and the like. I wonder if those would suffice.

SoH

Oct 25, 2017
More importantly, afaik the only way to get the full rule set is online, which is slightly curious to me but ultimately not a big deal.

The starter set only comes with a smaller overview guide of how to play.

Ignatz Mouse

Oct 27, 2017
Tokens needed:

Aember-- 16 should be plenty.
Damage
+1 Power
Stun
3 keys per player (could easily use quarters and flip them to Heads when forged-- that's what I did before I got a starter)

If you have a deck with a lot of high-power creatures, you might need a lot of damage tokens.