• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

SolVanderlyn

I love pineapple on pizza!
Oct 28, 2017
Earth, 21st Century
Why is Even back to being Vexen in KH3 apparently? Based on the trailers, anyway.

It's a shame, because the short glimpses of Even we saw showed us a very different character from his nobody. I was looking forward to seeing more of him.

DrScruffleton

Oct 26, 2017
Kingdom Hearts X comes first. Back Cover (the movie) covers the events of X from the perspective of the Union leaders. The first "season" of UX is mainly covering the events of X again, and everything after that is new material.

Back Cover will most likely be the only thing that'll have heavy ties to KH3's plot. Everything else is probably setting things up for games after 3.

Everglow's Timeline videos are the best way to follow all the X stuff. However, you'll have to look up the really recent X updates yourself, but they're pretty short and there's only a few that these videos don't go over.

thanks! This is the exact kinda thing I was looking for. Already watched a few parts.

Psxphile

Oct 27, 2017
Does Sora ever get his memories back of what happened in Chain of memories?
He was supposed to have gotten them all back when Roxas fully integrated into him after their fight in TWTNW near the end of KH2. At that point the journal registers new entries including the names and bios of every Org member he met in Castle Oblivion only. Or at least that was true in vanilla KH2, not sure how Final Mix handles it what with the Absent Silhouttes.

Later, a scene added in Final Mix has him telling Riku that he never got to 'thank Namine' like he promised he would.

The KH3 trailers imply that he doesn't remember Marluxia at all, though... so I'm not sure if his memory was really fully restored like we thought.

Man God

Oct 25, 2017
Maybe he just...forgot about Marluxia after getting his memories back. I know I have when listing Org XIII members.

Jader7777

Oct 26, 2017
Australia
Sora and Riku have FEELINGS for Kari

The DARKNESS* comes and both Sora and Riku fight for Kari's love

They jump through Disney worlds to find out what a true FRIENDSHIP is

*anime bad guy says dumb one liner to pad the narrative*

They find the ultimate HEARTLESS and destroy it

But it was all a dream- the real story is the next one

*DARKNESS is actually puberty. The whole story is just a love triangle writ large.

Sandfox

Oct 25, 2017
He was supposed to have gotten them all back when Roxas fully integrated into him after their fight in TWTNW near the end of KH2. At that point the journal registers new entries including the names and bios of every Org member he met in Castle Oblivion only. Or at least that was true in vanilla KH2, not sure how Final Mix handles it what with the Absent Silhouttes.

Later, a scene added in Final Mix has him telling Riku that he never got to 'thank Namine' like he promised he would.

The KH3 trailers imply that he doesn't remember Marluxia at all, though... so I'm not sure if his memory was really fully restored like we thought.
"Thank Namine" was written in the journal, so the scene could be referring to that.

Riversands

Banned
Nov 21, 2017
Just preordered this game digitally. It is coming out at the end of month. So i watched the video, sprisrd i actually the first part till kh2 plot. But starting from kh2, everything turned into confusion. So the whole organisation 13 is xemnas, xemnas, and xemnas, and Sai (whatever he is callled) and the other guy? Omg. Im going so confused with kh3😂😂

AwakenedCloud

Oct 27, 2017

Maybe he just...forgot about Marluxia after getting his memories back. I know I have when listing Org XIII members.
he never gets his memories from castle oblivion back as far as I know.
I'm glad it wasn't a dumb question like I originally thought.

So in DDD when the organization members turned back to their former selves, they retained the memories of their time as a Nobody. A byproduct of that was that their nobody ceased to exist, since it merged back with its host. Roxas still seems to be a separate individual who still exists "somewhat" separately of Sora, so maybe that's why he never fully obtained those memories.

Or maybe Roxas gets separated from Sora during a story beat before the Marluxia encounter. It can be ANYTHING with this series.

Wrestleman

Oct 25, 2017
Virginia

So in DDD when the organization members turned back to their former selves, they retained the memories of their time as a Nobody. A byproduct of that was that their nobody ceased to exist, since it merged back with its host. Roxas still seems to be a separate individual who still exists "somewhat" separately of Sora, so maybe that's why he never fully obtained those memories.

Or maybe Roxas gets separated from Sora during a story beat before the Marluxia encounter. It can be ANYTHING with this series.

Namine outright states that Sora will have to get rid of his memory of her and Castle Oblivion's events in order to restore his memory to how it was pre-CoM. Roxas (and Xion) have partials of his pre-CoM memory, not his CoM memory. Why would Roxas have those memories? Roxas was already separate and doing his own thing before the Organization even went to CO.

Sora doesn't remember Marluxia because he made the choice to go back to how he was pre-CoM and forget the events of CoM because he knew his feelings for Namine were fake and he wanted to remember his real life.

EDIT: Okay, yeah I get you now: Yeah, IDK why Roxas' memories are gated off from Sora proper. Sora seems to be a weird case where he kinda only 'feels' Roxas' stuff and doesn't remember it proper. I suspect it'll tie into the whole "Roxas looks like Ven" stuff. Sora's weird situations with Nobodies and shared-hearts in general probably leads to a lot of fuckery.

Munti

Oct 26, 2017
I'm well versed in the story and lore of KH, but there's one small thing I don't understand fully and that is the door in the cavern on Destiny Island. What is that exactly? Is that just the keyhole of that world? And when the heartless attack the first time on DI, another door appears in front of the entrance of the cavern. Is there are significance behind that?

But the whole Kairi and Naminé situation makes no sense to me at all.

Because like, technically speaking, shouldn't the Kairi we saw in KH1 on Hook's Ship and stuff have been her Nobody? I know that's just her empty body and her heart was inside Sora at the time, but that's the thing, isn't that empty shell with no heart literally what a Nobody is?
No because I think as long as the heart doesn't get devoured by darkness, no nobody-entity gets generated and the real body stays around lifeless. I think we saw that sometimes where characters (expecially Disney-NPCs) lose their hearts and have a lifeless body.
Could be wrong, but think of it like this. Terranort lost his heart and became a heartless (Ansem SoD) without losing his mind and somehow kept a human form (Xehanort knows how the heart works and is strong or some garbage).
Actually Xehanort's heartless wasn't in human form. His heartless was the thing in the brown cloak. He only received the human after he possessed Riku. But yeah, he was able to retain his conscious

Last edited:

malyse

Community Resetter
im super confused when it comes to the mobile games. So there was a mobile game that ended service, then a new mobile game, then the movie thing in the collection? Do I need to know the story from all of it? Are there any good recap videos of the mobile games?
Someone already answered part of this, but to be 100% clear:
  1. Kingdom Hearts χ[chi] = Japanese browser game that ends with you losing the keyblade war badly. No longer playable.
  2. Kingdom Hearts Unchained χ = mobile game remake that covers the same events. Implied to be a dream your friends put you in to recover from the War.
  3. Kingdom Hearts χ Back Cover = a film that covers what went down with the Foretellers during the lead up to the keyblade war.
  4. Kingdom Hearts Union χ(Cross) - second part of the Unchained story. Also a mobile game

replicantUK

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
United Kingdom
Honest question, honest answers please :)

I fancy playing this, but I'm kind of being put off not being up to snuff with the previous games. I did buy the PS4 compilation during last summer with the intention of playing at least KH and KH 2, but that didn't work out.

Is there a easy way of catching up with the plot? Similar to Yakuza which offers the plot summary in game for those who haven't played the previous games.

Kinsei

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017

I fancy playing this, but I'm kind of being put off not being up to snuff with the previous games. I did buy the PS4 compilation during last summer with the intention of playing at least KH and KH 2, but that didn't work out.

Is there a easy way of catching up with the plot? Similar to Yakuza which offers the plot summary in game for those who haven't played the previous games.
KH3 will offer a plot summary video. Naturally we have no clue how good it will be until the game itself is released.

malyse

Community Resetter

SE knows that KH3 will be a lot of people's first game and a lot of people have fallen off of the franchise as well. Furthermore, it's not like the story of KH is that complicated. The details are, but the story is just a good v evil, light v dark story with a few complications of Dark =! Evil and Light =! Good. You will certainly be able to have a good time with 3 without anything.

Also, SE has announced some kind of downloadable recap.

Ryuman

Nov 1, 2017

It's like this: In CoM, in order to manipulate Sora, Naminé unlinks and rearranges the chain of Sora's memories to add fake new ones. At the end of the game, Naminé sets out to restore his memories to their original state. Since everything that happened in Castle Oblivion occurred when Sora had the fake memories, Naminé also had to unlink these to put everything back to normal. The memories are still there, but they're disconnected, so Sora wouldn't ever be able to recall them. The only remnant of those events is the "Thank Naminé" note they decided to write in the Journal before going to sleep.

With Roxas (and Xion) some of Sora's memories, no longer tied together, found their way inside them. These weren't the Castle Oblivion ones, by the way. This prevented Naminé's progress. After they rejoined with Sora, he woke up.
Now, Roxas and Xion are special. Roxas is different to other Nobodies, as he had no proper access to Sora's heart and essentially grew his own from scratch over time. Xion is a replica, so that's also it's own thing. Both of their existences are valid. So Sora got his memories back, but the others don't belong to him, so they aren't something he would actively recall. There were times he had an emotional reaction to things connected to Roxas that he didn't understand, but that's the extent of it.
KH3 will offer a plot summary video. Naturally we have no clue how good it will be until the game itself is released.
We do know what they are, as they were released in Japanese on Youtube months ago https://www.jp.square-enix.com/kingdom/episode/
They are just super basic explanations of certain events, relationships and conflicts. They don't even specifically recap by game.

LorentzFactor

Oct 25, 2017
With Roxas (and Xion) some of Sora's memories, no longer tied together, found their way inside them. These weren't the Castle Oblivion ones, by the way. This prevented Naminé's progress. After they rejoined with Sora, he woke up.
Now, Roxas and Xion are special. Roxas is different to other Nobodies, as he had no proper access to Sora's heart and essentially grew his own from scratch over time. Xion is a replica, so that's also it's own thing. Both of their existences are valid. So Sora got his memories back, but the others don't belong to him, so they aren't something he would actively recall. There were times he had an emotional reaction to things connected to Roxas that he didn't understand, but that's the extent of it.

So are ventus's and Sora's heart essentially one and the same? Like in KH1 when he became heartless, did that count as losing two hearts or was it maybe ven's in particular which is why Roxas looks like him? Like Roxas can wield two keyblades as a result of ven's (Sora's?) heart and growing his own or something so maybe he should have access to ven's memories.

Also I'm confused as to why Vanitas looks like Sora, since Ven didn't meet Sora until after Vanitas was created. Is this timey wimey bullshit?

Voltt

Oct 25, 2017
So are ventus's and Sora's heart essentially one and the same? Like in KH1 when he became heartless, did that count as losing two hearts or was it maybe ven's in particular which is why Roxas looks like him? Like Roxas can wield two keyblades as a result of ven's (Sora's?) heart and growing his own or something so maybe he should have access to ven's memories.
Ven's heart has no darkness, so it's impossible for it to turn into a Heartless. Ven's heart was in Sora, then it moved to Roxas, who ended up carrying around Ven's heart the same way that Sora was carrying Kairi's heart in KH1.
Also I'm confused as to why Vanitas looks like Sora, since Ven didn't meet Sora until after Vanitas was created. Is this timey wimey bullshit?
Ven and Vanitas are connected to each other, so Ven's heart being healed by Sora's affected Vanitas's appearance.

Ryuman

Nov 1, 2017

Fair questions. Roxas looks like Ven because of the connection with Sora. As Sora became a Heartless, it is reasonable to assume Roxas harboured Ven's heart, but I'm struggling to sift through my brain and find an official confirmation for that.

As for Vanitas it's rather straightforward. When Master Xehanort extracted Ven's darkness, he was basically on the brink of death. MX ended up being uncharacteristically sentimental and brought him to Destiny Islands to rest in peace. It was then his heart connected to Sora's (Who had just been born) who helped fill up his broken heart. Because of that, Vanitas ended up taking Sora's form. This is also why Ven could later connect and take refuge in Sora after breaking his heart again at the climax of the game.
It's all to do with the characters having deep connections to one another.

Feb 4, 2018
Something to note for newcomers:

You might think that those of us who have played every game are gonna understand everything that happens in KHIII. We won't. Even if you get caught up on the series you will likely be confused at certain points. Just know that the rest of us are confused too—it's part of the fun. 🥰

Purdy

Oct 27, 2017
Are the available summary videos good enough? I'd like to have a good understanding before playing 3 but not sure I'm willing to commit >100 hours to play the others.

(I'm sure it's been asked in this thread before but I haven't read it as I don't want spoilers)

Kanhir

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Something to note for newcomers:

You might think that those of us who have played every game are gonna understand everything that happens in KHIII. We won't. Even if you get caught up on the series you will likely be confused at certain points. Just know that the rest of us are confused too—it's part of the fun. 🥰
Definitely concur with this. I've played all of the games and read the Ultimanias back to front, and I still had no idea WTF was happening in DDD. Confusion is part of the game.

clockstrikes

Oct 27, 2017
Fair questions. Roxas looks like Ven because of the connection with Sora. As Sora became a Heartless, it is reasonable to assume Roxas harboured Ven's heart, but I'm struggling to sift through my brain and find an official confirmation for that.

BBS Ultimania

Q1: Why do Roxas and Ventus look alike?
A: Because inside Sora, which is Roxas' body, is Ventus' heart.

As was shown in the opening to BbS and the ending to Last Episode, Sora and Ventus' heart are linked (P.646). And so Roxas, who is a part of Sora, was affected by that and looks just like Ventus.

[picture: Little Sora and Ventus' heart]
Ven: "Can I become one with your heart again?"

When he was born into the world, he linked with Ventus filling his fractured heart. Many years later, when Ventus was on the verge of disappearing after his fight with Vanitas, Sora took him into his own heart.

TheMathyFolf

Oct 27, 2017
Can we all agree that not releasing the Ultimania in English even as an ebook or pdf is irresponsible?

Absolutely. Especially for KH 3, since it doesn't look like there will be an English guide, with Prima Games shutting down. I do have some of the Ultimanias, even though I don't read or speak Japanese (I'd like to learn) for maps and what I can piece together about details of the mechanics.

Feb 4, 2018
The thing that really trips me up about the whole time travel thing is that Xehanort can only influence things that aren't "set in stone" in the present. What does that even mean? I'm sure it's just a plot device to explain why Xehanort doesn't just go back in time and kill baby Sora, but I wanna know exactly what makes a present circumstance set in stone, especially when Xehanort is creating ontological paradoxes.

By the way, do we know when the review embargo is lifting yet??

Sacul64

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
EDIT: BONUS QUESTION:

What is the best delivered line in KH1? Is it sora finding out his friend has succumed to the darkness and has become his enemy and filled his heart with darkness and responding with "You're stupid!"

Or

Phil sprucing the colosseum up for the gaaaeeemmmss?

"This boat runs on happy faces"

So after finally catching up and playing BBS, DDD, .02 and the other movies I went back to KH2 and finally beat Sephoroth (could never beat him in 2 but did beat him in KH1 and FM1) and I also looked at the other special bosses and noticed something the secret Xemnas fight is by the TV tower and seems very dream like. was this somehow a hint at DDD or is there just some context in KH2 I'm forgetting?

Deleted member 35011

User requested account closure
Banned
Dec 1, 2017
So what does being a master give you, exactly? Yen Sid seems super intense about making Sora and Riku masters to prepare for what's to come but like...does anything change for Riku after he becomes master? Or Aqua? It just seems like a fancy title that doesn't change much. Terra isn't officially a master but he can perform the keyblade ritual thing to Riku so...eh? What part am I forgetting that explains what good being a master does in a fight against this random evil dude?

Hexa

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
Why does Kairi have a nobody?
As far as I understand it, a nobody is the body left behind when someone loses their heart. Kairi lost her heart, but her heart didn't become a heartless because she's a princess of heart and instead went into Sora, who returned it into its original body. It makes sense for Roxas to exist because he magically got a new body. But that didn't happen for Kairi. So where did Namine's body come from? For that matter, where did it go? Roxas merged back into Sora because of Diz, but how did Namine merge into Kairi, and when exactly?

Takatomon

Oct 25, 2017
So what does being a master give you, exactly? Yen Sid seems super intense about making Sora and Riku masters to prepare for what's to come but like...does anything change for Riku after he becomes master? Or Aqua? It just seems like a fancy title that doesn't change much. Terra isn't officially a master but he can perform the keyblade ritual thing to Riku so...eh? What part am I forgetting that explains what good being a master does in a fight against this random evil dude?
It's just a title, nothing exceptional.
Why does Kairi have a nobody?
As far as I understand it, a nobody is the body left behind when someone loses their heart. Kairi lost her heart, but her heart didn't become a heartless because she's a princess of heart and instead went into Sora, who returned it into its original body. It makes sense for Roxas to exist because he magically got a new body. But that didn't happen for Kairi. So where did Namine's body come from? For that matter, where did it go? Roxas merged back into Sora because of Diz, but how did Namine merge into Kairi, and when exactly?
Naminé was born exactly because Kairi's heart took shelter in Sora's. She's kind of a mish-mash. That's why she's the most irregular of the nobodies, having none of Kairi's memories and being able to manipulate Sora's memories.
They merged at the end of KH2, when Sora and Kairi see Roxas and Naminé together.

Oct 27, 2017
North Carolina
I think becoming masters is just shorthand for him believing they're truly ready for this fight

malyse

Community Resetter
At the very least it appears to unlock Keyblade transformation.

Hexa

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
It's just a title, nothing exceptional.

Naminé was born exactly because Kairi's heart took shelter in Sora's. She's kind of a mish-mash. That's why she's the most irregular of the nobodies, having none of Kairi's memories and being able to manipulate Sora's memories.
They merged at the end of KH2, when Sora and Kairi see Roxas and Naminé together.

If I understand you correctly, you're saying Naminé was part Sora? So since Naminé merged back into Kairi, is Kairi part Sora now?

Abaddon

Oct 25, 2017

The reason Yen Sid wanted Sora and Riku to go through with it is that the Mark of Mastery trials gave them the power to wake a sleeping heart, which my guess is meaning Ventus plays a big part in Yen Sid's plans.

Z-Beat

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
He should have reformed after ansem and xemnas died.

Entitlement to secret knowledge. It's a test of your fortitude to carry out the knowledge you learn, like a diploma

Nurovek

Dec 26, 2018
France
Don't know if the question was already asked, but : is Vanitas Ventus' heartless ?

Also : why Terranort's eyes go back to brown when Ansem the Wise takes him as his apprentice ?

Rewind

Oct 27, 2017
Don't know if the question was already asked, but : is Vanitas Ventus' heartless ?

Also : why Terranort's eyes go back to brown when Ansem the Wise takes him as his apprentice ?
No, Vanitas is all the darkness extracted from Ventus's Heart, which left him with a broken heart, he never turned heartless.

Soriku

Nov 12, 2017
I just thought of this but what happens to a "somebody" if their Nobody fully grows a heart? If their heartless and Nobody are defeated, do they still come back? If so what happens to the Nobody's heart? Or if not then what happens to the somebody?

Grimmjow

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
He should have reformed after ansem and xemnas died.
This bugged the hell out of me during DDD. I kept thinking the Xehanort that popped up w/ Ansem/Xemnas throughout the game was Terranort, only for it to not be him. Then Old-man Xehanort popping up at the end confused me too.

Z-Beat

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017

Sort of. Without the link to Sora he'd look like one. But he's not the darkness overtaking a heart so much as he is half a heart (the dark part), so he's not really a heartless, just similar in composition

Makes you wonder: how much darkness did Ven have in him to make someone so strong?

Deleted member 34949

Account closed at user request
Banned
Nov 30, 2017
I just thought of this but what happens to a "somebody" if their Nobody fully grows a heart? If their heartless and Nobody are defeated, do they still come back? If so what happens to the Nobody's heart? Or if not then what happens to the somebody?
I don't think there's an official answer on that, but I'd imagine the hearts just combine. Would explain why Lea retained his nobody powers and weapons as a complete person again.

(Sora and Xehanort are obvious exceptions here, given the wildly unique circumstances behind their hearts before their respective Nobodies/Heartless even formed)

Nov 14, 2017
I played and beat KH1 back when it first came out, got about half way or maybe more through KH2 before I stopped playing it and never played any of the other games. I've tried watching the recap videos to catch myself up but it definitely feels like information overload. Am I totally screwed when I fire up KH3 in a few weeks?

OP
OP
Fj0823

Fj0823

Legendary Duelist
Oct 25, 2017
Costa Rica
I played and beat KH1 back when it first came out, got about half way or maybe more through KH2 before I stopped playing it and never played any of the other games. I've tried watching the recap videos to catch myself up but it definitely feels like information overload. Am I totally screwed when I fire up KH3 in a few weeks?

Very

Jun 12, 2018
This is more of a gameplay question that I always wondered, what was master form's purpose in kh2?

Valor was physical attacks.
Wisdom was magic.
Final was the combination of physical and magic, essentially the ultimate form
Limit had KH1 abilities and didn't need party members

Master was...??? An inferior version of final form?