• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

clockstrikes

Oct 27, 2017
Basically. Ven's Heart was repaired by connecting to Sora's, and a fragment of Sora's stuck in Ven's. It's insinuated that Vanitas looks like that (to Ven, at least) because of the fragment of Sora in Ven's heart.

If memory serves, Nomura said that like Xion, Vanitas' appearance is influenced primarily by the person looking at him.

Well, the first bit is right. While Ven's heart was fixed by connecting it to Sora, no part of Sora's heart was ever in Ven's.

And what Nomura said about Vanitas was that he would adopt the appearance of whomever connects their heart with Ven's. If it had been Riku, then Vanitas would look like him.

bunkitz

Brave Little Spark
Oct 28, 2017
Finished 0.2 last night and I still don't know how Mickey and Riku escaped the Realm of Darkness... They both had to close the door from their side, so that meant the only gateway back to the Realm of Light was closed. So how did they come back?
I believe you're on the money, and Xehanort being his old self (literally) isn't explained. He could be altering his appearance like Andem SoD did when possessing Riku, he could have ended up like that when his heartless and nobody joined back together for some reason. We don't know.

We don't see Terranort among the organization in DDD but yeah it's implied he is one of the members
Oh, so then it's possible that Master Xehanort is actually TerraNort but he simply changed his appearance?

Richietto

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
North Carolina
Finished 0.2 last night and I still don't know how Mickey and Riku escaped the Realm of Darkness... They both had to close the door from their side, so that meant the only gateway back to the Realm of Light was closed. So how did they come back?

Oh, so then it's possible that Master Xehanort is actually TerraNort but he simply changed his appearance?
Yup, kinda dumb as Terranort is one of the other 13 as well but I guess they really wanted to bring back Master Xehanort.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
Well, the first bit is right. While Ven's heart was fixed by connecting it to Sora, no part of Sora's heart was ever in Ven's.

And what Nomura said about Vanitas was that he would adopt the appearance of whomever connects their heart with Ven's. If it had been Riku, then Vanitas would look like him.

That's what it was.

Callibretto

Oct 25, 2017
Indonesia
I just started playing 3D yesterday and I'm a ut unsure. What is 'Sleeping World'? First world you go in 3D is Traverse Town. Is this the same town as previous KH gamesM where's the FF cast then? Is it not real world? More like Recoded data simulation world?

Did Sora and Riku physically there in sleeping world, or are they actually in YenSid's place and they're just dreamingto go there? Why did they look younger there.

Voltt

Oct 25, 2017
I just started playing 3D yesterday and I'm a ut unsure. What is 'Sleeping World'? First world you go in 3D is Traverse Town. Is this the same town as previous KH gamesM where's the FF cast then? Is it not real world? More like Recoded data simulation world?
Basically, when a world falls to darkness, it also falls to sleep and starts dreaming. When a world is restored, it usually wakes up, and everything is good. However, a few of them stay trapped in dreams, and those are the sleeping worlds.

That being said, Traverse Town is a unique case among the sleeping worlds. It appears whenever there's people with no place to go. Back in KH1, it appeared for survivors of the worlds taken by the Heartless. The specifics of Traverse Town appearing in the realm of sleep is explained later on in 3D, but the basic reason is like before: the TWEWY characters didn't have a place to be.

Callibretto

Oct 25, 2017
Indonesia
Basically, when a world falls to darkness, it also falls to sleep and starts dreaming. When a world is restored, it usually wakes up, and everything is good. However, a few of them stay trapped in dreams, and those are the sleeping worlds.

That being said, Traverse Town is a unique case among the sleeping worlds. It appears whenever there's people with no place to go. Back in KH1, it appeared for survivors of the worlds taken by the Heartless. The specifics of Traverse Town appearing in the realm of sleep is explained later on in 3D, but the basic reason is like before: the TWEWY characters didn't have a place to be.
And did Sora and Roku physically there? Or they're just dreaming to be there? What is 'drop'? Why would Sora/Riku go to sleep every so often. I've just beat traverse town bosses. My impression so far is the sleeping world is like Inception movie. Joshua dreamt the whole place, and you have people like dream-neku, dream-sora etc living in that shared dream world.

Is that a fair assesment?

Voltt

Oct 25, 2017
And did Sora and Roku physically there? Or they're just dreaming to be there? What is 'drop'? Why would Sora/Riku go to sleep every so often. I've just beat traverse town bosses. My impression so far is the sleeping world is like Inception movie. Joshua dreamt the whole place, and you have people like dream-neku, dream-sora etc living in that shared dream world.

Is that a fair assesment?
The Sora and Riku switching is a plot important thing that's covered later.

The sleeping worlds exist in a place called the realm of sleep. It's a place you can physically enter (the portal to it appears when a world falls to darkness, which is why Yen Sid sent them back in time to right before Destiny Islands fell to darkness), but the sleeping worlds themselves are totally in stasis. The places you're playing in are actually the dreams of the worlds made solid. Sora, Riku, and the main villains of the game are real, but everyone else is just a dream.

Callibretto

Oct 25, 2017
Indonesia
The Sora and Riku switching is a plot important thing that's covered later.

The sleeping worlds exist in a place called the realm of sleep. It's a place you can physically enter (the portal to it appears when a world falls to darkness, which is why Yen Sid sent them back in time to right before Destiny Islands fell to darkness), but the sleeping worlds themselves are totally in stasis. The places you're playing in are actually the dreams of the worlds made solid. Sora, Riku, and the main villains of the game are real, but everyone else is just a dream.
Wait... he can do that? That whole tutorial intro is real? As in Ursula really did come to Destiny Island and mess around when Destiny Island fell to darkness?

Voltt

Oct 25, 2017
Wait... he can do that? That whole tutorial intro is real? As in Ursula really did come to Destiny Island and mess around when Destiny Island fell to darkness?
Ursula being there is hilarious because it's never explained at all. The rest of that sequence is gone over in detail at multiple points, but they just skip over Ursula when it gets to that part.

Wrestleman

Oct 25, 2017
Virginia

He can send them back in time because they've both given up their hearts (Riku by force, Sora intentionally) like is required for Xehanort to do, and
Maleficent.

Ursula being there is hilarious because it's never explained at all. The rest of that sequence is gone over in detail at multiple points, but they just skip over Ursula when it gets to that part.

"He was right, those wretched guppies ARE here" explains enough once you've got the context of the whole game, IMO. Xehanort sent her to fuck with them. Why Ursula of all people? Who the fuck knows. But it is implied :V But like... he'd have had to have time traveled her backwards for this, as well, which I also don't get. It's implied he did it but there's no explanation as to why, at all.

Ultimadrago

Oct 25, 2017
Refresher question! So when Xion shows her face to Roxas and it's Sora's, that meant she was starting to become the replica she was always meant to be, right? Her face depends on who sees her, but Roxas didn't always see her like this, so I guess that just meant she was losing more of her own identity in lieu of Sora's?

Also, did she get to choose to be a part of Sora or was it a given because she's a Replica of Roxas who is already connected to Sora?

NateDog

Jan 8, 2018
Refresher question! So when Xion shows her face to Roxas and it's Sora's, that meant she was starting to become the replica she was always meant to be, right? Her face depends on who sees her, but Roxas didn't always see her like this, so I guess that just meant she was losing more of her own identity in lieu of Sora's?

Also, did she get to choose to be a part of Sora or was it a given because she's a Replica of Roxas who is already connected to Sora?
Not entirely sure on the first part but regarding the latter I thought it was because she was made as a replica of Sora (not Roxas), in addition to the fact that Sora's fragmented memories were in her along with Roxas thanks to Namine. But I don't think she's ever really had a say in anything yet.

Ultimadrago

Oct 25, 2017
Not entirely sure on the first part but regarding the latter I thought it was because she was made as a replica of Sora (not Roxas), in addition to the fact that Sora's fragmented memories were in her along with Roxas thanks to Namine. But I don't think she's ever really had a say in anything yet.

Oh, thanks!

Vic_Viper

Thanked By SGM
Oct 25, 2017
Havent played these games since they came out, but I have a question! What was the deal with the Hollow Bastion characters, and was there any plot threads that were left after KH2? Also, was Hollow Bastion just another world like the Disney worlds that got sucked up into the game's universe? All I remember was that Cloud and Sephiroth kept fighting and Squall was named Leon.

Rami Seb

Banned
Sep 28, 2018
User banned (72 hours): Trolling, history of similar behavior.
Why is the plot the single most stupid and un-entertaining plot in video games ever?

Ryuman

Nov 1, 2017
Finally finished Dream Drop Distance and I'm surprised at how much less confused I feel now because I felt like I had so many questions throughout the game's story. The World That Never Was seemed to answer almost everything. Still, I've got a few questions I wrote down as I was playing the game.
How on earth did Master Xehanort reform? He lost his original body after posessing Terra's body, did he not? Also... when Mickey was shocked to see Young Xehanort brandish his Keyblade... that was because at the time they didn't know Young Xehanort's identity and seeing the Keyblade made Mickey consider the possibility that this young man they're about to face is in fact young Master Xehanort?
Firstly, there seems to be some disagreement about this in the thread here, but it was always my impression that the recompletion process puts the original pieces of a person back together (i.e. MX's heart back with his original body). Obviously that leaves Terra's fate in ambiguity. You would assume he's back, but the games have always presented this as a deliberate mystery. As for your second question, Mickey is surprised because Young Xehanort shouldn't be able to have a Keyblade, as he came from a time before he was a Keyblade wielder. Mickey stops time in order to halt MX's return, along with the other norts, but suddenly YX is able to overpower the spell and summon a weapon he has yet to obtain? Then Mickey realises it; Master Xehanort's consciousness has possessed his younger self, with his allowing him to accomplish these feats.
Havent played these games since they came out, but I have a question! What was the deal with the Hollow Bastion characters, and was there any plot threads that were left after KH2? Also, was Hollow Bastion just another world like the Disney worlds that got sucked up into the game's universe? All I remember was that Cloud and Sephiroth kept fighting and Squall was named Leon.
Hallow Bastion was a world that used to be (and now again is) known as Radiant Garden. Some of the FF characters like Yuffie and Squall (Who prefers to be called Leon) are from that world in KH canon. Original characters like Kairi, Ansem the Wise and half of Org XIII are also from there. During the time between BBS and KH1 Maleficent took over and called it Hallow Bastion. Since her defeat in KH1 the FF gang have been trying to restore it to former glory, and as of KH2 it's been going quite well. There aren't really any hanging threads for them beyond this other than Leon receiving a letter implied to be from Rinoa in the KH2 credits scenes.

Why is the plot the single most stupid and un-entertaining plot in video games ever?
Because you do not allow Light into your heart.

Wispmetas

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
giphy.webp

bunkitz

Brave Little Spark
Oct 28, 2017
Firstly, there seems to be some disagreement about this in the thread here, but it was always my impression that the recompletion process puts the original pieces of a person back together (i.e. MX's heart back with his original body). Obviously that leaves Terra's fate in ambiguity. You would assume he's back, but the games have always presented this as a deliberate mystery.
Right... Kinda forgot about the recompletion part. How I would interpret it is that since what was lost in the first place was Terra's body housing both his heart and Xehanort's, his body should've at least returned and not Master Xehanort. I guess this is something we'll only get the answers to in KH3 though.

As for your second question, Mickey is surprised because Young Xehanort shouldn't be able to have a Keyblade, as he came from a time before he was a Keyblade wielder. Mickey stops time in order to halt MX's return, along with the other norts, but suddenly YX is able to overpower the spell and summon a weapon he has yet to obtain? Then Mickey realises it; Master Xehanort's consciousness has possessed his younger self, with his allowing him to accomplish these feats.
Oh! Okay, that makes so much more sense. Thanks for the explanation! So Young Xehanort was able to move around using the Dark Corridors but wasn't a Keyblade wielder yet back then. Huh. Interesting.

Clocian

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Apr 23, 2018
why is ventus, larxene, and marluxia in the mobile game set 100 years before bbs? (dont answer if it's a kh3 spoiler)

Deleted member 179

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
why is ventus, larxene, and marluxia in the mobile game set 100 years before bbs? (dont answer if it's a kh3 spoiler)
Haven't played KH3 or spoiled myself at all. We don't have the actual answer yet. For Marluxia and Larxene, my current assumption is that their nobodies have just been around a long ass time. But I'm probably wrong.

swimming

Oct 27, 2017
Why does Master Ava fight Everglow in the Keyblade War?

Also I don't really get where the 5 chosen Dandelions went? They got sent to an alternate world where everything is fine in Daybreak Town? Kinda confusing and then Ephemer and Skuld were there for Everglow when he was on the ground during the Keyblade War. Idk lol. Maybe this entry isn't as important but I'm going through KH TIMELINE rn.. on the Birth By Sleep Chapter

quesalupa

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
US
Ansem SoD and Xemnas's plans make sense to me in their games' vacuums, and I also get what old man wrinkles is attempting now, but can somebody explain how the kh1 and 2 schemes fit in with his retconed plan.

clockstrikes

Oct 27, 2017
Why does Master Ava fight Everglow in the Keyblade War?

Also I don't really get where the 5 chosen Dandelions went? They got sent to an alternate world where everything is fine in Daybreak Town? Kinda confusing and then Ephemer and Skuld were there for Everglow when he was on the ground during the Keyblade War. Idk lol. Maybe this entry isn't as important but I'm going through KH TIMELINE rn.. on the Birth By Sleep Chapter

Uh... just FYI, the Player does not have a canon name.

All of the Foretellers understood the war was unavoidable. Ava has accepted that she has no choice but to fight because that is what has been foretold, and so she does.

The Dandelions were sent to the new world where they could keep the light alive. The player, who should have died in the Keyblade War, was rescued by Ephemer and Skuld and brought over to that world. They, along with everyone except the 5 Union leaders, are placed into data worlds where they relive the events from the beginning, except the Keyblade War never happens.

Feb 4, 2018
Ansem SoD and Xemnas's plans make sense to me in their games' vacuums, and I also get what old man wrinkles is attempting now, but can somebody explain how the kh1 and 2 schemes fit in with his retconed plan.
Ansem SoD and Xemnas were working somewhat-simultaneously to gather the seven lights and thirteen darknesses to start the Keyblade War. The 7 lights were the princesses Ansem SoD gathered in KH1 and the 13 darknesses were supposed to be Organization XIII. Xemnas lied to the other Organization members and claimed they were trying to get their hearts back, but the goal was always to turn them into thirteen vessels of darkness. This would have summoned the real Kingdom Hearts had it worked, and yet at the same time both were working to create their own fake Kingdom Hearts. I'm guessing this was a failsafe in case they weren't able to gather all of the pieces, since Xehanort planned for multiple outcomes.

clockstrikes

Oct 27, 2017
lol I hate that his name is Brain. I thought it was Brian at first but NOPE

It's easily the worst name out of all the original characters in the franchise. I'd at least have settled for Blaine, which is what the fan translations used until the official release ruined everything.

Nomura claimed that all names and their spellings have meaning behind it, so this dumb name better pay off.

clay_ghost

Oct 25, 2017
He can send them back in time because they've both given up their hearts (Riku by force, Sora intentionally) like is required for Xehanort to do, and
Maleficent.

"He was right, those wretched guppies ARE here" explains enough once you've got the context of the whole game, IMO. Xehanort sent her to fuck with them. Why Ursula of all people? Who the fuck knows. But it is implied :V But like... he'd have had to have time traveled her backwards for this, as well, which I also don't get. It's implied he did it but there's no explanation as to why, at all.
They probably coded her portion 1st before really thinking through the plot of DDD lol.

Benzychenz

One Winged Slayer
Nov 1, 2017
Australia
It's easily the worst name out of all the original characters in the franchise. I'd at least have settled for Blaine, which is what the fan translations used until the official release ruined everything.

Nomura claimed that all names and their spellings have meaning behind it, so this dumb name better pay off.
My fan theory is that Brain is an alter ego for Braig, who is actually the Master of Masters.

Idk I just feel there's more to Braig and him joining Xehanort so willingly, and him and MoM have similar trollish personalities.

1 more day till KH3 to test my theory!

swimming

Oct 27, 2017
How the hell is Ventus around in the Age of Fairy Tales and not a lick older in Birth By Sleep. Blah

Railgun

Oct 27, 2017
Australia
My fan theory is that Brain is an alter ego for Braig, who is actually the Master of Masters.

Idk I just feel there's more to Braig and him joining Xehanort so willingly, and him and MoM have similar trollish personalities.

1 more day till KH3 to test my theory!
I actually really like this, four more hours for me. I'm so stoked, I think this might be the most excited I've ever been for a games release since KH2/Halo 2 or Halo 3.

quesalupa

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
US
Ansem SoD and Xemnas were working somewhat-simultaneously to gather the seven lights and thirteen darknesses to start the Keyblade War. The 7 lights were the princesses Ansem SoD gathered in KH1 and the 13 darknesses were supposed to be Organization XIII. Xemnas lied to the other Organization members and claimed they were trying to get their hearts back, but the goal was always to turn them into thirteen vessels of darkness. This would have summoned the real Kingdom Hearts had it worked, and yet at the same time both were working to create their own fake Kingdom Hearts. I'm guessing this was a failsafe in case they weren't able to gather all of the pieces, since Xehanort planned for multiple outcomes.
Ahh ok thank you. Man, Xehanort sure does love contingency plans lol

bunkitz

Brave Little Spark
Oct 28, 2017
They, along with everyone except the 5 Union leaders, are placed into data worlds where they relive the events from the beginning, except the Keyblade War never happens.
Data worlds? So is the new world they were sent to actually empty and the Dandelions only go visit data recreations of the worlds from prior to the Keyblade War?

On a related note, is the new world the Dandelions sent to not what the world currently is? That's how I understood it this whole time...

Feb 10, 2018
Hi, I've never played a Kingdom Hearts, so I have a question :

I've watched several summaries of the series on YouTube, and I noticed that in almost all of them, there's actually NO mention of the Disney characters and worlds... so, are these characters very secondary ? Is the story only about the Organization XIII, all the dopplegangers and Sora/Roxas etc ?

Is Disney only a background, or does it actually have an importance in the story ?

Lukar

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Oct 27, 2017
Hi, I've never played a Kingdom Hearts, so I have a question :

I've watched several summaries of the series on YouTube, and I noticed that in almost all of them, there's actually NO mention of the Disney characters and worlds... so, are these characters very secondary ? Is the story only about the Organization XIII, all the dopplegangers and Sora/Roxas etc ?

Is Disney only a background, or does it actually have an importance in the story ?
For the most part, the Disney stories in the series are more like side-stories and have no major relevance to the plot at large. There are Disney characters who are important to the story (Mickey, Donald, Goofy, Yen Sid, Maleficent, Pete, etc.), but characters like Simba, Ariel, Mulan, Quasimodo, etc. don't matter to any story other than the stories of their respective worlds.

That isn't always the case, but it usually is.