• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Deleted member 5596

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Wait... Wait, if Sora was a heartless in KH1, what the fuck was that when he became a heartless and Kairi restored his heart.... Wait, what?

TheZynster

Oct 26, 2017
Wait... Wait, if Sora was a heartless in KH1, what the fuck was that when he became a heartless and Kairi restored his heart.... Wait, what?

Theory goes that Kairi gave him a shell basically to live in from her powers of being a princess of light while he still was a heartless. So he is basically Ansem SoD in terms of living. Until roxas rejoins his body

Mankoto

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 28, 2017
I like how this video completely ignores the canon story missions that existed even in [chi] (which is purportedly taking place in a real-world past setting) where you as the player have to help a stranded Donald and Goofy collect pieces of their crashed gummi ship strewn about Daybreak Town. And then coming across Mickey who arrives via Star Shard looking for his two friends who then wonders what type of world he's found himself in, while viewed from above in secret by the Foreteller Invi. And then never brought up again.

I didn't know there were missing details. I'm sorry about that. I know he said he ignored the story of the Disney Worlds but that's about it.

I'll start Union Cross to get the full picture myself then.

Last edited:

DNAbro

Oct 25, 2017
I like how this video completely ignores the canon story missions that existed even in [chi] (which is purportedly taking place in a real-world past setting) where you as the player have to help a stranded Donald and Goofy collect pieces of their crashed gummi ship strewn about Daybreak Town. And then coming across Mickey who arrives via Star Shard looking for his two friends who then wonders what type of world he's found himself in, while viewed from above in secret by the Foreteller Invi. And then never brought up again.

I completely forgot about that lmao.
Though it makes me question even more if it is in the real world or if it was just some non-canon fun.

WeWereGiants

Nov 8, 2017
I'm playing through the games again at the moment, I just finished Chain Of Memories (which I barely remember from the only time I played it in like 2007) and I have a question about something that I probably just totally missed.

Was the "Castle Oblivion Operation" just to turn Sora into a puppet? Or was that just what Marluxia wanted to do? I know Axel was sent there to deal with traitors but what was Org XIII's actual goal at Castle Oblivion?

Komali

Sep 25, 2018
I'm playing through the games again at the moment, I just finished Chain Of Memories (which I barely remember from the only time I played it in like 2007) and I have a question about something that I probably just totally missed.

Was the "Castle Oblivion Operation" just to turn Sora into a puppet? Or was that just what Marluxia wanted to do? I know Axel was sent there to deal with traitors but what was Org XIII's actual goal at Castle Oblivion?
Org. 13 needed a new hideout and Castle Oblivion was considered a good place for that.

There is more but this will be explained in the other games.

WeWereGiants

Nov 8, 2017
Org. 13 needed a new hideout and Castle Oblivion was considered a good place for that.

There is more but this will be explained in the other games.

I guess that's pretty logical, however their TWTNW hideout is infinitely cooler. I assume at some point in 3 there'll be some link to Ventus but I've got a fair few games to replay before then. Thank you!

DNAbro

Oct 25, 2017
I thought they went to Castle Oblivion to look for Ventus's body for whatever reason.

Mezentine

Oct 25, 2017
Metaphysically just what is a Nobody supposed to be? They're "bodies and souls that have lost their hearts", what does that mean? Or I guess more to the point, what is a Heart?

Aquova

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 27, 2017
Kansas

I thought they went to Castle Oblivion to look for Ventus's body for whatever reason.

The Organization had a few missions while at Castle Oblivion. They don't really state how much forethought they put into brainwashing Sora, but once they had Namine it became the major goal for them. Marluxia was in charge at Castle Oblivion, and his main focus was the Sora mission. Secondly, Vexen was there to create replicas, in case the brainwashing project failed, or Roxas decided to run off. Finally, they were to search the entire place for Ventus' resting place, although they imply that only Axel was in on this plan, and he didn't even know exactly what they were searching for.

KanameYuuki

Dec 23, 2017
Colombia
I personally used this to catch up to what's going on in the mobile game. It's someone summarizing the cut-scenes in the game vs having them play out like in that other one. Also, it's more up to date on the story as well. That said, I really want to play that mobile game now, now that I've caught up to it.

---

I do have my own question though. Maybe I missed something, but I just beat everything about a week ago or 2 ago now so I think I have everything pieced together, except for Braigs/Xigbar. The guy clearly has his own goals and motivation, but I don't think the game ever really talked about it in anyway. Do we know what they are exactly? I noticed he got Nort'd back in BBS when fighting him as Aqua so he's been in Xehanort loops for quite some time. Hell, considering Xemnas seemingly has the memories of both Xehanort and Terra, the same would work with Xigbar, no? That's a lot of trust on Xehanort's part.

That video helped me a lot, I was super confused and thought there were at least 2 keyblade wars, it wouldn't be that hard to follow if the story wasn't spread in between like 50 or more missions each.

This and the fact that the mobile game introduced some important plot points could give us another perspective on the whole Castle Oblivion thing.

I wonder is Daybreak Town, Land of Departure and Scala ad Caelum have anything in common or even if they are the same place.

Last edited:

Ryuman

Nov 1, 2017
I actually think Ansem SoD looks a lot like Terra and he uses the Dark Guardian like Terranort. But what your theory makes sense, and that what irks me about the time travel stuff in KH3D:
Since Ansem SoD was the catalyst for the plot of KH3, was he sincere about his plan to find the door to Kingdom Hearts? Same with Xemnas.. was the collecting of hearts just a farce? Both Ansem SoD and Xemnas existed at the same time, and they must've known about the master plan.
They were honestly working towards their goals, because it still gave them a lot of what they wanted. It's just that failures of those plans automatically led to the next ones, leading to the final proper scheme in KH3.

I have played and beaten every single game, but I really feel Dream Drop Distance really messed things up.

Can anyone explain the time travelling clones and how everyone freaking out that the brown hooded person from the first hour of the first game was (conveniently) Xehanort all along.
They're just pulled from time before their demise. There are members who aren't time-travelling though. Xehanort puts a piece of his heart inside of them to control them.
Everyone was concerned when they realised Xehanort was on the island at the start of the KH1 because it meant all the Xehanorts could meet up there and follow Sora/Riku into their exam to hijack it. It's actually one of the more clever twists IMO.
------
And guys, Sora wasn't still a Heartless between 1 and 2, he was just a walking heart without a body. That doesn't make him a Heartless.

Mezentine

Oct 25, 2017
And guys, Sora wasn't still a Heartless between 1 and 2, he was just a walking heart without a body. That doesn't make him a Heartless.
What makes this distinction? What does it mean that he "didn't have a body"? I feel like if I understand this side of things about 80% of my questions for this series make sense

chandoog

Oct 27, 2017
I personally used this to catch up to what's going on in the mobile game. It's someone summarizing the cut-scenes in the game vs having them play out like in that other one. Also, it's more up to date on the story as well. That said, I really want to play that mobile game now, now that I've caught up to it.

---

I do have my own question though. Maybe I missed something, but I just beat everything about a week ago or 2 ago now so I think I have everything pieced together, except for Braigs/Xigbar. The guy clearly has his own goals and motivation, but I don't think the game ever really talked about it in anyway. Do we know what they are exactly? I noticed he got Nort'd back in BBS when fighting him as Aqua so he's been in Xehanort loops for quite some time. Hell, considering Xemnas seemingly has the memories of both Xehanort and Terra, the same would work with Xigbar, no? That's a lot of trust on Xehanort's part.

Thanks for the handy recap. Even though I have played all the KH games besides the 3DS one, I have all bug forgotten most things like character involvements etc and only remember the overall arc a bit.

Wiibomb

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I still don't get why the young Xehanort is in DDD, anyone can explain to me that? I mean, I understand that the organization XIII is basically a mean for xehanort to get his 13 warriors of darkness to enact the keyblade war and he cheated by making them all be him in the end, but what about that young xehanort? why was he there why how?

Komali

Sep 25, 2018
What does Unchained Chi have to do with Castle Oblivion? Or are you referring to Ven?
I'm talking about Union Cross.

It seems that not only Xemnas had a personal interest in finding Ventus inside Castle Oblivion but Marluxia too because they were both Union leaders. Marluxias true intentions are still unknown.

KanameYuuki

Dec 23, 2017
Colombia
I still don't get why the young Xehanort is in DDD, anyone can explain to me that? I mean, I understand that the organization XIII is basically a mean for xehanort to get his 13 warriors of darkness to enact the keyblade war and he cheated by making them all be him in the end, but what about that young xehanort? why was he there why how?

I may be wrong but I think Young Xehanort is the one who can actually time travel, gifted by his older self.

Aprikurt

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 29, 2017
I need to fit in Birth by Sleep before the end of the month. Figure that along with the original 2 will be enough. Not touching the 3DS game or that card-based abomination.

Deleted member 34949

Account closed at user request
Banned
Nov 30, 2017
I need to fit in Birth by Sleep before the end of the month. Figure that along with the original 2 will be enough. Not touching the 3DS game or that card-based abomination.
I'd say maybe watch the cutscenes from Dream Drop Distance's final world on YouTube, but yeah, 1, 2 and Birth by Sleep make up the absolute bare minimum one would need for context going into 3.

Deleted member 35631

Banned
Dec 8, 2017

Their true goal in Castle Oblivion is to find the room where Ventus is Sleeping (Chamber of Waking). They know it exist, but they don't know how to acces it. They probably know that Ventus is there. That's why in 0.2 Terra tells Aqua that Xehanort is trying to find Ventus. Remember 0.2 happens at the same time as KH1.

Aprikurt

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 29, 2017
I'd say maybe watch the cutscenes from Dream Drop Distance's final world on YouTube, but yeah, 1, 2 and Birth by Sleep make up the absolute bare minimum one would need for context going into 3.
I'm just accepting there'll probably be some stuff I need to google or ask about in the OT on Era.

Ryuman

Nov 1, 2017
What makes this distinction? What does it mean that he "didn't have a body"? I feel like if I understand this side of things about 80% of my questions for this series make sense
When he freed Kairi's heart in KH1, he ultimately had to release his own and that caused him to become a Heartless. For some reason, whether it be his strength or the method in which his heart was lost, Sora retained some sense of self. He made his way back to Kairi and her pure heart of light seemed to have "fixed" him.
The thing is that Sora had a Nobody (Roxas) since he was a strong enough person. Roxas, despite looking like Ventus, was using Sora's body.
So technically, despite looking completely normal, Sora did not have his actual body until he rejoined with Roxas.

Sora and Xehanort both seem to be very good at causing anomalies in the rules of the universe.

Terraforce

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017

It seems that not only Xemnas had a personal interest in finding Ventus inside Castle Oblivion but Marluxia too because they were both Union leaders. Marluxias true intentions are still unknown.
I meant Union Cross my bad. I'm up to date with Global and I follow the story as far as Japan goes. I just didn't see any hint that Lauraim had a specific interest in Ventus, so I'm assuming that's more speculation on you're part, but an interesting point indeed. Though I question how he would know where Ventus's body was so many years into the future. Though I guess there's still a lot about Lauraim we still do not know as that plotline is ongoing.

Ryuman

Nov 1, 2017
I meant Union Cross my bad. I'm up to date with Global and I follow the story as far as Japan goes. I just didn't see any hint that Lauraim had a specific interest in Ventus, so I'm assuming that's more speculation on you're part, but an interesting point indeed. Though I question how he would know where Ventus's body was so many years into the future. Though I guess there's still a lot about Lauraim we still do not know as that plotline is ongoing.
There isn't any hint at that, to be honest. We have no idea how any of it fits together and people are just inserting their own ideas.

Komali

Sep 25, 2018
I mean, it's speculation but it's at least obvious that this is no coincidence. This storyline will definitely be expanded in the future.

Terraforce

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
There isn't any hint at that, to be honest. We have no idea how any of it fits together and people are just inserting their own ideas.
Yeah that's what I figured about several people in this thread. Almost feels like the blind leading the blind in some aspects haha. Lot of theories or strong assumptions, but in the end there's a lot that either hasn't been explained well or we simply don't know yet. It's only natural when there's some gaps that have yet to be filled, but it only gets more confusing when people pose their speculation as fact.

TheZynster

Oct 26, 2017

its clear from the KH3 trailer that he has intentions of his own and we will probably find out.

LegendofLex

Nov 20, 2017
Xehanort had a backup plan to fill the remaining 13 slots in his lineup: go back in time to gather all his various vessels throughout history and bring them forward to the final confrontation.

Young Xehanort is the "earliest" Xehanort, and the one who ends up gathering the other defeated vessels.

Arta

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Is the plot going to confuse any 10 year olds who wouldn't have played the previous games? Or will they be able to get into the new game just watching the antics of Elsa and Goofy?

clockstrikes

Oct 27, 2017
Is the plot going to confuse any 10 year olds who wouldn't have played the previous games? Or will they be able to get into the new game just watching the antics of Elsa and Goofy?

It's not like those 10 year olds (or really anybody for that matter) are going to be psychoanalyzing the game or throwing a fit if they don't understand each and every little detail. I'm sure they'd be more than capable of just enjoying the fun gameplay and amazing worlds with all of their favorite characters.

Psxphile

Oct 27, 2017
If Xehanort needed a bunch of soulless bodies to horcrux his heart into, why didn't he just use clones/replicas?
... maybe he already did. Vexen seems to be one of the 13 now, and at least one member (possibly two) seem to have returned from certain oblivion no worse for wear.

Mifec

Oct 25, 2017
To everyone wondering where Terra is: He's so dense that at some point he turned into a black hole.

Richietto

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
North Carolina
Could be wrong, but think of it like this. Terranort lost his heart and became a heartless (Ansem SoD) without losing his mind and somehow kept a human form (Xehanort knows how the heart works and is strong or some garbage). His actual "body" became Xemnas. Sora became a heartless but didn't fully lose himself. He made his way to Kairi and because she's pure of heart, she was able to purify Sora, free his heart from the darkness, and give him a form. His actual "body" is used by Roxas, which ended up looking like Ventus strictly because Sora was housing his heart while he sleeps. Ventus had influence on his appearance, but its still Sora's "body". So Ansem Seeker of Darkness and Sora are 2 of 3 outcomes of losing your heart. You can become a heartless with free will and a form, or be lucky enough for a Princess of Heart to "purify" you and you just exist as normal (minus not actually having your body).

In KH you have 3 parts. Heart, Body, and Soul. The 3rd one rarely ever gets brought up. Nobodies are the Body and Soul of someone who's lost their Heart. Sora lost his Heart, but was able to come back minus the Body and Soul (Roxas has those 2 parts).

Its kinda dumb, and Im probably writing up way more than you were wondering. But basically when someone says Sora didn't have a Body between KH1 and 2, they basically mean that Roxas has his Body, and he can't have 2 bodies, so he's just a heart with a form that looks liek his original self. Sora is literally the only 1 like this in the series.

Last edited:

Aquova

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 27, 2017
Kansas
Typically how KH games work is that there is a bit at the beginning of the game related to the overall plot, then the next 90% of the game is just Disney stuff with only a little KH stuff sprinkled in, then finally the last world or so is the big grandiose ending world. You can play pretty much the whole game just enjoying the Disney stuff, and then not understand the ending.

Deleted member 35011

Banned
Dec 1, 2017
Oh yeah big question that I never understood:

So in KH 3D we get the reveal that Nobodies actually could grow back hearts and Xehanort was bullshitting them with the thing about them not being able to feel.

1) Did that version of Xehanort know that or did he trick himself? Because he uh seemed to monologue about getting a heart once in a while.

2) So what's the downside of being a Nobody? You get sick magical powers, have feelings, and presumably never age(not super clear since Axel aged, some others didn't?)

3) So biggest one here: how the fuck did Xehanort trick people into thinking they had no hearts? "Mate, you can't feel shit."
"What do you mean I can't--"
"You can't feel SHIT you need me to feel shit."
[Speech 100]
"I believe you, I can't feel shit."

Jun 12, 2018
Why are marluxia and larxene norted? Didn't they try to betray the previous organization? Why would they be proper candidates to be a part of the organization once again?

LegendofLex

Nov 20, 2017
1) Did that version of Xehanort know that or did he trick himself? Because he uh seemed to monologue about getting a heart once in a while.

I don't think Xemnas was originally written with that knowledge in mind. But it's weird because they were dropping hints that Roxas had a heart from KHII on. In my mind, I've concluded that in the current canon, we're to understand that he was just really dedicated to the con.

2) So what's the downside of being a Nobody? You get sick magical powers, have feelings, and presumably never age(not super clear since Axel aged, some others didn't?)

The series makes a big deal about "connections," both between worlds and between people. This sometimes gets expressed in the story ("my friends are my power"), and sometimes in the game mechanics (D-Links, Roxas's Oathkeeper/Oblivion keyblades, etc.). They're also present simply in the feelings characters have for other characters.

Nobodies seem to have lost these connections (or at least the ability to fully tap into them), even if they remember having them. When DDD talks about Nobodies actually having hearts, it's because they've created new connections to replace the old ones. That's why the story seems to be dangling the idea about Roxas becoming his own person. He is connected to others in ways that Sora and Ventus aren't.

3) So biggest one here: how the fuck did Xehanort trick people into thinking they had no hearts?
See above. Nobodies had to basically redevelop their sense of self and their relationships to the world and people around them. Xemnas's goal was to have the Organization members shape themselves around Xehanort's goals so they could be good candidates for Xehanort vessels.

Last edited: